POST GAME Round 21 - Sea Eagles vs Broncos

Has there been a game where Wallace hasn't given away a penalty? Something is wrong with that guy.

Seriously, this was the worst performance I have seen from the broncos since mid last year.
Boyd - back to his effortless Newcastle ways
Kahu - classy, put him at fullback if Boyd is nursing an injury
Hodges - as an individual he is awesome, as a captain he's shit
Reed - he's been made look good all year by his inside, without his inside performing he is NOTHING! Bring Copley in.
Maranta - the best back of tonight has came so far.
Milford - wasn't his night, tried hard and that's it.
Hunt - again, a night to forget.
Wallace - cat in the first half, lion in the second
McC - are you sure you wanna let parcell go Wayne?
Thaiday - again cat in the first half, lion in the second
Gillett - I think Oates should get a starting run next week, I've had enough of Gillett.
Glenn - poor attack, poor defence
Parker - if we had 13 Parkers we would win by 100.

Nikorima - tried to add spark to ashes, can't blame him
Ofa - really impressed, he is our future
Dodds - no impact what so ever
Oates - to all you people who thinks his a winger! He is not! Being a winger is more than barging returns. You must simply catch and hold the ball. But played well in the second half when in the back row.

Can't say I disagrre too much with any of that. Gillett has lost all attacking spark, and tonight he missed more tackles than any other player too. Oates doesn't seem to be reliable enough at the back either.

Missed Blair a lot. We will be better for this loss. Bring on the dogs

I feel the presence of Blair and McGuire was very much missed tonight. I feel Wallace, at this stage of his career offers a lot more off the bench in comparison to when he is starting. We lacked some thrust off the bench without Wallace there, although Ofa did have a few handy carries. Blair's clean up work was missing though in my opinion.

There wasn't much to take out of that performance, but I was impressed with Thaiday's charges towards the end. He didn't stop trying and tried enormously to spark us back into the game. He did all he could to change the tone of the match, but unfortunately it wasn't to be. Either way, some of those runs were inspirational and it just nearly sparked a mini revival. I was happy that we kept playing till the 80th minute, even though the score board would probably tell a different story. Hopefully we see more of that sort of ferocious running from Thaiday moving forward.

As far as singling players out..

They've won as a team this year and tonight they lost as a team, they all have a lot to learn from this.

Can't say I disagrre too much with any of that. Gillett has lost all attacking spark, and tonight he missed more tackles than any other player too. Oates doesn't seem to be reliable enough at the back either.

Gillett missed 5 or 6, Hunt about 7, Reed 3, Glenn 4. Hunt had zero attack in him tonight. Milford was lost for most of the game, Boyd was asleep and Reed can't turn on a dime to defend a fast and clever opposing centre.

Gillett has been wasted by the way he isn't being used.

What pisses me off is this ridiculous tactic in defence to hang around and wait. Against a fast and determined hard running opposition with support, the stand and wait strategy fails. Effective tackling is harder against someone running at you full on with support. It sucks. Line speed is everything. Line speed. Just like we showed v Roosters earlier this year.

This game plan sucked and Manly exposed all our weaknesses with their targeted, slick and fast plays. Good coaching Toovey.

The thing that bothered me most was the way our composure and mental strength wilted under a sustained onslaught. We are going to get a lot of that in the next 5 weeks. Hope we learn tonight's lessons.

Ugh...

Fingers crossed this is the wake-up call the Broncos needed. As positive as the past few weeks have been, there's been some signs there that the Broncos were slacking off at times and it really came to the fore here.

It was every word under the sun.

Disgraceful, unacceptable, disgusting, Hadley-esque

You name it.

Got to give em a chance to recover but I've got to say, it isn't looking good moving forward.

the worry with a loss like that is the damage it does to a youngish side like Brisbane is ... confidence can evaporate in an instant.

next week will tell us everything about where this side is at imo.. If they come out full of enthusiasm and energy and everyone pushing up in possession like they have on most occasions this year, things will be ok moving forward... But if they're passive and below par again, it could be a lean last few weeks of the season and out of the finals in straight sets.

As amazing as this team has been this year, fact is we're a season or two behind the Roosters, Cowboys and Souths in terms of maturing into a really hardened premiership threat. We don't quite have that brute force cannon ball fire power that these teams have and when they decide to put the pedal to the metal in the finals we'll struggle to go with them. In a year or two, it'll be a different story.

As far as singling players out..

They've won as a team this year and tonight they lost as a team, they all have a lot to learn from this.

I've got to agree with this. As a unit we didn't turn up to play, let alone play like we wanted to win. Some obviously had better games than others, but as a whole team, we weren't good.

You could sort of see this performance coming from our past games with certain negative trends sneaking into our game, but going mostly unnoticed since we were facing lesser opposition and still were able to post a fair few points - ie Tigers and Titans.

As the saying goes, "you learn more from a loss than a win". I'm somewhat pleased (although I don't want to say I'm happy that we lost) that this sort of performance happened now, rather than when it counts, and it gives us a wake up call that we have things to work on if we want to be a contender for the premiership.

Just one of those games were we started to slow and then over played our hand trying to get back into the game. Next week, we should probably put Wallace back on the bench and start with Dodds or move Gillett into lock. Best thing is we kept playing to the end. Joffa, Wallace, Thaiday, Oates all looked good in the second half off the bench. Manly scored some bullshit tries like 1 in 100 type plays that came off for them tonight. Oh well roll on next week.

Sucks the inevitable loss had to happen, but...By 30 points is downright pathetic. I don't care if Manly played their best game of the season, a top 4 team simply shouldn't concede that many points to a bottom 8 team.

Fucking gutted. Too pissed off to look at any positives. **** you Manly and **** you Jamie "Everything just always fucking turns to gold for me against Brisbane" Lyon. I'm going to go and do the dishes and then vacuum the house. That way when I wake up tomorrow I can go "oh well, at least the kitchen and floors are clean".

the worry with a loss like that is the damage it does to a youngish side like Brisbane is ... confidence can evaporate in an instant.

You could see their minds ticking over once the game was gone, almost like they thought the efforts under Griffin were a thing of the past.

They know they have to work hard now to keep the standard up for another two months.

I'm assuming McCullough and Reed are now terrible players again and back on everybody's shitlists?

Last edited by a moderator:
I said it in the pregane thread this is the one I'd rather lose in our run home. The way we lost was disappointing though. We seemed to get fucking screwed by the refs with the referrals. Not so much the results, but more so not getting referrals when we deserved one, and them being given one when it was so blatantly not a try I spilt a beer in disbelief that they got one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I said it in the pregane thread this is the one I'd rather lose in our run home. The way we lost was disappointing though. We seemed to get fucking screwed by the refs with the referrals. Not so much the results, but more so not getting referrals when we deserved one, and them being given one when it was so blatantly not a try I spilt a beer in disbelief that they got one.
The first time I've been mod-edited... I feel violated

I don't understand how everybody on here is saying "this is the loss we had to have before the finals!".

No, this is not the loss we had to have, or needed. Confidence is a funny thing & with this young side, their confidence could disappear with a loss like that tonight. What took 20 weeks to build can all be gone after tonight.

I should probably come on here & post more often when we're winning & believe me, as a die hard 20+ year supporter, I'm so appreciative of how the boys have played this season, it's been great to watch & Wayne has certainly transformed us, but what I witnessed tonight from the boys was absolutely deplorable.

Totally unacceptable & unexpected. I can most definitely accept & cop a loss, no issues, but getting mauled 44-14 and playing with no heart, desire, hunger or passion in the Broncos jersey is NOT us!

That was painful to watch. I hope Wayne gives them a serving like never before, yes we have done so well so far this season, & after an 8 game winning streak, it's okay to lose but NOT lose in the way we did tonight.

No excuses, Manly were SO much better, they played like they were #1 and we played like we were bottom feeders. Unacceptable. I have lost a MASSIVE amount of faith after tonight, but I still have hope. Can't wait to see what we dish up against the Dogs next week.

Active Now

• Swordfish
  • Sproj
  • Emanon
  • Jedhead
  • Bucking Beads
  • Mighty Bronx
  • azza.79
  • upthebroncs
  • Foordy
  • Waynesaurus
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.