POST GAME [Round 22, 2024] Broncos vs Titans

The issue is the Broncos probably thought they were on that when they went ahead and signed Jensen, Hetherington, Smoothy, Hoeter, Pereira, Baker and Hunt. However there's a fine line between toiler and plodder.

The issue is they have zero depth. Both Mariner and Piakura have plenty of talent, but they're still developing and they've both needed spells. Unfortunately the depth is so bad they've often been rushed back into the team.

You can't tell me Piakura was right to play this afternoon and from memory they rushed Mariner back after he fractured his back against Melbourne.
Yeah I agree with what your saying, I would argue Jensen, Hoeter, Periara have been that type of player and Hetherington was up until this year. Hoeter and Periara have been injured which adds to your depth argument. We have been running a fairly diluted team this year and players have been played when they shouldn't have.

Question Pete, do you see this as more of a coach + staffing issue as oppossed to on field issue? or do we need a clean out of both?

For the love of God, please drop Mariner. It's not doing him or the team any favours continuing to start him and make the same mistakes every single week. It's better to let him learn and become a better player in QCup and recall him once he's ready, or you risk permanently damaging his confidence
To mariners credit, he’s actually the one who has run the best lines when we’re attacking the red zone. Problem is we just don’t get to that position enough. He seems a lot more comfortable at left centre than on the wing. I wouldn’t say cobbo has out played Mariner in that position.

Mariner is 100% a centre. Reckon Cobbo might be struggling to play again if the off field issues that he’s facing go the wrong way

Mariner is 100% a centre. Reckon Cobbo might be struggling to play again if the off field issues that he’s facing go the wrong way
If Mariner is to be our centre moving forward, he needs to add some muscle which I’m sure he will.

Just got around to watching the press conference.

One interesting comment Kevvie made was when asked it looks like the team is unlikely to make the eight.

Kevvie said we have more issues than making the eight, then quickly backtracked and said not issues.

That doesn't sound good, could be a number of circumstances.

One interesting comment Kevvie made was when asked it looks like the team is unlikely to make the eight.

Kevvie said we have more issues than making the eight, then quickly backtracked and said not issues.

That doesn't sound good regarding the playing group.
He'd be talking about how they're playing on the field... defensive issues, completions, blah blah blah

Why have we gone away from Patty and Payne hitting the ball up in numbers and passing to each other with Reece out the back?

Why have we forgotten how to hit and stick in defence? Our centres were always covering the winger jamming in and that’s disappeared. I feel like the 2nd row is the weak point in the team and most of our issues stem from there. And Walsh’s very poor positioning and communication at the back.

I knew the season was done when we played the roosters at home. Our confidence was decimated that night (even before Reno got injured) and we had no fight to avenge them the Vegas game.

We just have no dog in us.

Yeah I agree with what your saying, I would argue Jensen, Hoeter, Periara have been that type of player and Hetherington was up until this year. Hoeter and Periara have been injured which adds to your depth argument. We have been running a fairly diluted team this year and players have been played when they shouldn't have.

Question Pete, do you see this as more of a coach + staffing issue as oppossed to on field issue? or do we need a clean out of both?
A lot of the issues the Broncos are facing are symptomatic of a young team. Last year they had a point to prove and the season could not have unfolded better than it did. However following the heart-break of the Grand Final and the loss of some key personnel, they haven't been able to find any rhythm and it's all just culminated in what we've seen these past couple of weeks.

So I do think there's an element of letting this ride out.

However you can't absolve the coaching staff entirely. The signs were evident during the pre-season that the team was complacent and it seems like the club tried their best to emulate what they did in 2023 instead of focusing on what they had to do to take the next step.

The past two weeks have been atrocious. Sometimes coaches just have to take their licks - look at Ciraldo - but Kev is coaching for his career and if he can't get a positive response he could easily find himself sacked.

Why have we gone away from Patty and Payne hitting the ball up in numbers and passing to each other with Reece out the back?

Why have we forgotten how to hit and stick in defence? Our centres were always covering the winger jamming in and that’s disappeared. I feel like the 2nd row is the weak point in the team and most of our issues stem from there. And Walsh’s very poor positioning and communication at the back.

I knew the season was done when we played the roosters at home. Our confidence was decimated that night (even before Reno got injured) and we had no fight to avenge them the Vegas game.

We just have no dog in us.
I feel like it's mostly shit house fitness.

Not running in numbers... because they're too tired for a hitup let alone running as a support player to not get the ball

No contact in defence... the opposition is fitter and means they're moving faster... means we're losing the ruck and conceding quick ptbs... defensive line is on the backfoot leading to more quick ptbs, etc.

Too fatigued to realise what shapes the opposition is throwing at you before it's too late, etc.

Only have to look at 2021 when one team was completely fatigued and the other team wasn't and the level of momentum and scoring that comes off the back of it

I’d be very surprised if the players in the team think Billy Walters shouldn’t be in the team. I could be wrong but I don’t see that at all.
Seriously though even if any of them did who would be stupid enough to voice this opinion when the head coach is his dad.

That doesn't sound good, could be a number of circumstances.
Cobbo will be one of them

Seriously though even if any of them did who would be stupid enough to voice this opinion when the head coach is his dad.
Hard to see it not coming out somewhere if they felt that. Billy isn’t perfect but I don’t see him being the problem for us. It’s all over the park. It’s mostly attitude and headspace tbh.

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • Tmac
  • davidp
  • leish107
  • azza.79
  • broncsgoat
  • Rambstien
  • Battler
  • Wolfie
  • Financeguy
  • Foordy
  • MrMoore
  • Allo
  • Justwin
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.