Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Whether or not the team can glean some confidence or momentum from this waits to be seen but tonight's win is nothing to crow about. Anyone trying to talk of improvement is really grasping at straws, for neutrals this game would have been horrible to watch for the sheer lack of polish & professional NRL play on display.

OH-p-ah-ch-ih-ch

According to HowToPronounce.com

Last edited:
This was by no means a polished performance, but it is exactly the sort of win that will instil some much needed confidence within the playing group. I think we took a positive step in the right direction. Our attack is not where it needs to be, and neither is our defence, but we were working hard for each other, which is the most pleasing thing.

The win against South Sydney a few weeks back was exactly the sort of win we did not need at the time. An easy win like that provides a false sense of security and we suffered the consequences following that. However an ugly win like tonight, in terrible conditions can kick-start our run into the finals from here on out. The fact that we had to defend our way to victory in the final stages will no doubt build the trust the players have for each other, and I believe we'll see some of the desperation and attitude of turning up for each other, return once again.

It was so refreshing to see our players standing a little deeper and charging onto the ball with some vigour, and our halves digging deep into the line at speed with support pushing up with them in the sweep plays. In recent weeks our set plays have looked rehearsed, a little cumbersome and a fair way away from the defence.

Our success in attack wasn't necessarily going around teams, but it was playing through teams, which stood us apart from a lot of the other teams. I think in recent times we've resorted almost exclusively to the general sweep plays way too much, but we haven't executed them very well, so it hasn't been very effective. Our strength last season was the interchange of short passing between our spine, and more specifically between our halves. We've went away from that, but its time to go back to that. Hunt and Milford need to play to each other more by running it straighter to the line, and forcing the opposition to make a decision for us, that way we can get Milford or Hunt one on one, where they can use their running games to break through the line.

Last edited:
Certainly nothing to rave about , but a better effort. Particularly liked the way Macca went about his work tonight. Good service and direction from dummy half. I actually thought Thaiday was our best though.

For some reason Milford does not look very threatening lately .Not sure why. I think maybe the boys need to up the tempo a bit in attack. Sometime looks like they are just going through the motions and hoping something will just happen.

Opiac looks good. Darren Smith like.

I don't blame the refs for checking the Maranta try.

This is Lachlan Maranta we're talking about here.. I was expecting to see the foot on the sideline or lost control the ball.
So much this! LOL

I thought we were quite good in the first half, given the conditions. Our halves were rocks and diamonds, Milford more of the latter in the first half, when he was threatening every time he had the ball, and his short kicking game was quite good. Speaking of, if we're going to kick the ball in the last 20, just give it to anyone but Hunt. :rolleyes:
Hunt was pretty good in most other aspects of the game, and actually gave us some control in conjunction with Macca, turning around the Dragons multiple times. That Widdop try was on Hunt however imo. He is the closest to the ball, and stops to block a Dragons runner with no other Bronco a chance to get to it.

Maranta and Oates, more of the same, with bad stuff eclipsing the good, but I thought Roberts, Opacic and Boyd were certainly not bad.

Our forwards laid the platform and defended well, with some actual line speed too! Gillett was the usual defensive monster (that try saver on Quinlan was huge in terms of how the game played out), while Thaiday and McGuire ran with purpose and made huge meters. Those three do make a massive difference to our team. Hopefully Gillett only went off as a precaution... any news on that?

Can someone explain why TPJ didn't get a run? Especially after we lost Gillett? Is Griffin back in the coaching box and no one noticed?

It wasn't pretty, we almost gave it away, but it's a win, and at this moment... it fucking matters!
Hopefully that first half will build some confidence back into the boys.

Its not how they pronounce it though.

Yeah, I've got no idea.

Tonight I was just calling him 'You fucking beauty'

Last edited:
Thaiday definitely enjoys playing in the backrow more than the front row, but I do like how he's never complaint about being forced to play up front. Thankfully he was given a shot in the back row again and he really stood up and delivered. I think he justified his selection in the starting team over Glenn since Glenn hasn't really produced much throughout the year. Glenn does add some experience to our bench, but I'd like for him to come on late in the half and just hit holes off Milford's hip with some speed and aggression.

If it's the Slavic pronunciation. then it's Oh Pa Chick.

The Slavic pronunciation never ends in "ick". They just do that to anglicise it because most Australians can't get their head around correct pronunciations.

Does the correct Slavic pronunciation have his name ending with 'check' or 'chitch'?

Opa-check or Opa-chitch?

Last edited:
That Widdop try was on Hunt however imo. He is the closest to the ball, and stops to block a Dragons runner with no other Bronco a chance to get to it.

I completely disagree on that being Hunt's ball. Hunt did well just to be in the frame. He dropped back just in case since the ball looked likely to go to the other side of the field. Attacking kicks needs to covered by the back three, but in this case Maranta needed to make his way closer to the goal post, and once the ball was kicked back across field, Boyd had to get there quicker.

That could have easily been Boyd's ball if he tried to get there, and as a fullback he should of had that covered instead of just ball watching, something I've been critical of him in the past. Hunt was doing the right thing by providing a block for Boyd, who showed no urgency to get near the ball. If Hunt catches that, he is an easy target and gets pushed into the in goal, whereas if Boyd gets there, Hunt's block could of provided enough time to get away from the in goal.

Actually, Blair could be suspended for a different matter..

10:22.

Blair grabs Marshall's jersey from behind and slings him to the ground the same way Gallen did on De Gois.

Now, Gallen got a concerning act notice.. But will Blair?

Last edited:
Actually, Blair could be suspended for a different matter..

10:22.

Blair grabs Marshall's jersey from behind and slings him to the ground the same way Gallen did on De Gois.

Now, Gallen got a concerning act notice.. But will Blair?

The only difference I see with that one, was that Gallen's one was a completely off the ball cheap shot. Like it was 20 seconds after a tackle had been made, whereas Blair's one isn't too late, and he was trying to make the tackle on suspicion. Marshall could have easily held on to the ball and Blair was just making the tackle.

But then again Blair's a Bronco and so he'll probably get an 8 week suspension, a 20 thousand dollar fine plus 100 hours of community service.

"Just getting the win is good enough" is probably the best thing you can say about this game. Well, 2nd best after Thaiday's performance. THat was the best I've seen him play in ages.

I completely disagree on that being Hunt's ball. Hunt did well just to be in the frame. He dropped back just in case since the ball looked likely to go to the other side of the field. Attacking kicks needs to covered by the back three, but in this case Maranta needed to make his way closer to the goal post, and once the ball was kicked back across field, Boyd had to get there quicker.

That could have easily been Boyd's ball if he tried to get there, and as a fullback he should of had that covered instead of just ball watching, something I've been critical of him in the past. Hunt was doing the right thing by providing a block for Boyd, who showed no urgency to get near the ball. If Hunt catches that, he is an easy target and gets pushed into the in goal, whereas if Boyd gets there, Hunt's block could of provided enough time to get away from the in goal.
Let's agree to disagree. No other Bronco was close enough to the ball and Hunt was by far the best chance of catching it. Boyd was where the fullback needed to be at the point Benji kicked, Maranta could have been closer, but needed to cover his side and Hunt was blocking for no one.

Active Now

• Griffo
  • Strop
  • Wolfie
  • Old Mate
  • winslow_wong
  • Volvo Driver
  • Maddy
  • Foordy
  • john1420
  • Bucking Beads
  • Morkel
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Manofoneway
  • thenry
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • levikaden
  • Stix
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Inknition
  • BroncosAlways
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.