Round 22 - Raiders vs Broncos - Post Match Discussion

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Thaiday needs to be dropped, and have captaincy stripped and given to Parker.

I think I'd rather give it to Glenn. Passing it to Parker is the kind of predictable move that is beginning to typify us. We need to go back to making bold decisions and having a new outlook on how we do things. Making Glenn captain would be a great statement IMO.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
I think I'd rather give it to Glenn. Passing it to Parker is the kind of predictable move that is beginning to typify us. We need to go back to making bold decisions and having a new outlook on how we do things. Making Glenn captain would be a great statement IMO.

Yeah I'd have no problem with that, but I don't think Glenn's gonna be playing the next week or 2 by the looks of it.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I don't think stripping the captaincy of Thaiday will fix any of our problems. I wouldn't give it to Parker anyway. There is a reason he was overlooked.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Well that was pathetic.

Norman on the bench is a wtf and the question surely must start to be asked if griffin in fact has any idea about what he is doing.

It has been asked and sh@tcanned, but yeah I have been wondering for a while. How can you look at these games as a coach and just keep repeating your mistakes?

Not using McGuire for more minutes, not playing Macca for 80, not using your bench effectively, keep selecting a fullback who can't provide impact inside 20, not moving Gillett back to the bench, keep playing Thaiday in tight.

The club has made some decisions which we a re stuck with for at least a couple of years in the belief that this young side will get better but scraping into the 8 is hardly an achievement , it just means there are 8 teams more crap than you.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Very harsh on Thaiday this week. Yes, he's capable of better but it's no secret he's playing injured and he obviously copped a knock to the ribs. Can't accuse him of being soft, he practically played the full game and apart from a late mistake which well and truly denied us of a miracle you can't blame him. I know I listed Parker as a captain in that scramble side, but that was merely because somebody would have to captain the side with Sam on the bench. Parker is like Gilchrist just isn't inspirational enough to lead. Back to Sam, 38 tackles and 12 Hit Ups is very solid by anyone's standards.

I thought all the changes we made from last week were good. The problem was, it wasn't enough and needed to be more. Hunt coming in was good, but something clearly needs to be done with Wallace. Whether it's putting him on the bench or dropping him entirely remains to be seen.

Just sucks we lost Glenn really. That's what hurts the most this week. 2 steps forwards, 3 steps backwards. We have issues, but the big issues are ones we simply can't address. While I don't think the players have given up like they did under Henjak, I think it goes to show that these type of challenges will make any coach look bad.

MrMoore

MrMoore

NRL Player
Jul 27, 2011
I just want to know Why the **** Wallace continue to play 7 while others not even given a chance or literally get hooked. Hunt got hooked for Norman, not Wallace but Hunt, Hunt was showing up Wallace all night and he gets Hooked for 1 kick which Wallace done last week, abiet an easier kick but w/e, he still gets hooked, Week in Week out, Wallace must be sucking at something else other than skill..

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
I just want to know Why the **** Wallace continue to play 7 while others not even given a chance or literally get hooked. Hunt got hooked for Norman, not Wallace but Hunt, Hunt was showing up Wallace all night and he gets Hooked for 1 kick which Wallace done last week, abiet an easier kick but w/e, he still gets hooked, Week in Week out, Wallace must be sucking at something else other than skill..

A tad extreme Mr Moore ..none the less I agree with you're overall sentiment. (without the homo erotic innuendo)

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
hasler had the balls to leave hodkinson out.
kearney had the balls to at least drop sandow.
mcguire had the balls to run with a rookie #7 from the start.
steve price dropped soward (although that didnt help them at all).

why must we persist with wallace, just because.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Not surprised, would have been disappointed if our own coach flipped out after an improved performance.

Behind close doors, he can flip out as much as he wants though.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Shows how easy it is to coach a side that has been structured around Lockyer, and it will take a bloody good coach and some intelligent halves to compensate for his loss.

Someone posted earlier what a few others have been saying for ages - as soon as the going gets tough we don't. Without Lockyer, there is no leader, and no structure. It left with him. It can't be replaced from this roster and with these coaching methods and decisions.

As well, as another observed, once the winning stops, so does the confidence and attitude.

Griffin is now exposed. Is he trying to be Bennett? His coaching practice with THIS roster is simply not working - and as another post suggested, the players, having realized this, seem to have been giving up more with each loss.

I reckon the magnitude of Lockyer's absence is now painfully obvious. He not only made players look great, he also did the same to the coach.

I actually feel a bit sorry for the players. It started out so good ...

(And why why why why does Macca not get 80 minutes and McGuire a lot more?)

Last edited:
Steve

Steve

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
This has to be the low point of the season. We sucked last week but at least we didn't have the comical plays of today. Those things only happen when you've hit rock bottom and we're clearly there.

No idea what the answer is. Is it too late in the year to mess drastically with the line up? There are a host of players who look completely gassed with nothing in the tank.

I am genuinely concerned about the next three weeks. We've been exposed by three teams in the bottom of the ladder and we're about to come up against the benchmark of the competition. It'll probably come down to needing to win the final game of the season vs Penrith. We're still a chance to play finals but I'm not sure if scraping into the top 8 would be the best thing for the club. We need to go back to the drawing board.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
No idea what the answer is. Is it too late in the year to mess drastically with the line up? There are a host of players who look completely gassed with nothing in the tank.

maybe they are working too hard at training. i dont know

what i do know is that any team on any given day can turn around a prior month of bad form - especially if its due to attitude, which i really think ours is. there are other contributing factors obviously as well - but our confidence is down and it looked like we had already had enough of the game after 30 odd minutes of going nowhere in attack adn then canberra got it back to 6-4.

if our attitude isnt right against the dogs it will be a 40 point drubbing. if we come into the game with our heads right we may go close to winning.. it wont be pretty but we'll have to play to our strengths. imo that is putting all of the forwards, IN the forwards, especially now glenn is out.

Son Edo

Son Edo

NRL Player
Sep 14, 2011
"Derp Broncos cant win when its not a friday night derp" ****ing infuriating hearing people go on about that.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
maybe they are working too hard at training. i dont know

what i do know is that any team on any given day can turn around a prior month of bad form - especially if its due to attitude, which i really think ours is. there are other contributing factors obviously as well - but our confidence is down and it looked like we had already had enough of the game after 30 odd minutes of going nowhere in attack adn then canberra got it back to 6-4.

if our attitude isnt right against the dogs it will be a 40 point drubbing. if we come into the game with our heads right we may go close to winning.. it wont be pretty but we'll have to play to our strengths. imo that is putting all of the forwards, IN the forwards, especially now glenn is out.

I'd like to know what they do at training. Either Hook coaches constructive set plays and organisation, and the players deliberately fail to follow orders, or .... so what exactly do they do at training?

The Dogs, like the Storm, are entirely predictable, it's just that they do it so damn well and fast that it's so hard to defend. but it's possible. If we defended as well as we did early in the season, then I think we could contain both benchmark sides in this comp.

Trouble is, as a few of us observed about Rounds 6-8, there seems to be serious worries with our attack. So in simple terms, they will flog us, even if our defence turns up.

We just don't have the points in us, with this roster, coached the way it is, to trouble the Dogs.

Having said that, we will win by 12

Active Now

• Fatboy
  • Lostboy
  • BroncoFan94
  • broncos4life
  • Browny
  • Sproj
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Xzei
  • Justwin
  • Griffo
  • Mr Fourex
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.