PRE-GAME [Round 23, 2024] Broncos vs Cowboys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hear me out here. I reckon they should give Coby Black a go in this game. He has Reyno to hold his hand and guide him through the game he will also have Walsh taking much of the pressure off him.

We've already tried Jock over a few games and he was completely underwhelming besides he is now out injured. We also gave Rogers a go and really his defence was putrid so realistically we have nothing to lose.

The run will do him good in terms of him getting a first hand taste of NRL and being able to gauge just how much more work he needs to put in to get to the required level.

Who knows, as Payton will not know that much about him at all he might surprise them in attack.
**** it, why not. Would’ve been a totally bizarre idea a few weeks ago but now it makes sense. Billy can start at 6 and move into Hooker when Black comes on

Walsh gets banged up enough. I don’t want him defending in the line at this stage of his career and would rather he gets more practice in at fullback.

Walsh gets banged up enough. I don’t want him defending in the line at this stage of his career and would rather he gets more practice in at fullback.
He gets banged up cause he's soft as a pillow. Look how he carried on after the 'hit' by Brian Kelly I think it was. Wouldn't have bruised a grape but he carried on like he'd been taken down by a sniper.

Just glad we got one tough little nut in Jye Grey. Will run rings around Walsh next year once he gets a bit more experience..

I genuinely don't know what I want from this game.

I've moved beyond this season and only care about what's good for next year. To that end, I'd like to see next season's squad prioritized over those the club is thinking of letting go.

We have the talent to win the odd game without being coached. That's how our wins looked this year. But if we win like that, it only papers over the cracks. If we win this one, will it suddenly mean Kevvie's been harshly judged? Or will it just be the way the coin lands?

It's hard to watch us lose, especially by a big margin, but if that's what it takes for management to move Kevvie on, then maybe that's in the better interest of the team long term. Otherwise, next season will be as frustrating as this one.

Am I the asshole for not caring whether we win?
I reckon the criticism is warranted now. But i still think he's the guy to get it done for us next year. Patty said today that he has played his best football under Kev. I reckon the whole squad has, even reynolds. Is there even one player that has played better football under a different coach?

To be fair I even think the likes of Tesi Niu played better under kevy than WB and siebold.

Was herbie better In 2024 than he was in 2023? I don't think so. There's a pretty enormous list here to think about even when considering the players who have left

Palasia -played GF and career best fom here, now playing Ressies
Herbie
Niu
Isaako (probably the only player to get better after leaving)

Our current squad

Walsh -certainly didn't play better at the Warriors than broncos
Sailor - played his best footy under kev last year
Capewell - hard to judge if he got better but he didn't get any worse apart from carrying the shoulder at the end of 2022
Reynolds - career high try assists in 2023 and 2022 I think as well was a PB for him too
Oates - 2022 Oates had the best year he'd had in about 5 years was injured early in 2023
Haas - probably improved in 2023
Carrigan - improved I'm 2023 and again in 2024
Riki - played under siebold and got much better under kev in 2023
Billy - played his best footy here over the storm or the tigers in 2023
Smoothy - played a grand final after being a long term reserve grader everywhere else
Arthars - was playing reserve grade at the Warriors and titans
Jensen - playing reserve grade at the cowboys

I get that now in 2024 alot of these players are now playing a worse brand of football. But can we really say that all of these players finding their career best form under the one coach was a fluke? And is it really worth sacking that coach without really giving him a preseason to do what he did in 2022/2023? (Less than 12 months ago)

He gets banged up cause he's soft as a pillow. Look how he carried on after the 'hit' by Brian Kelly I think it was. Wouldn't have bruised a grape but he carried on like he'd been taken down by a sniper.

Just glad we got one tough little nut in Jye Grey. Will run rings around Walsh next year once he gets a bit more experience..
just give me another redfern "Youse guys" just for laughs. My daughter is 5 and she can talk better than you :rofl

I reckon the criticism is warranted now. But i still think he's the guy to get it done for us next year. Patty said today that he has played his best football under Kev. I reckon the whole squad has, even reynolds. Is there even one player that has played better football under a different coach?

To be fair I even think the likes of Tesi Niu played better under kevy than WB and siebold.

Was herbie better In 2024 than he was in 2023? I don't think so. There's a pretty enormous list here to think about even when considering the players who have left

Herbie
Niu

Our current squad

Capewell - hard to judge if he got better but he didn't get any worse apart from carrying the shoulder at the end of 2022
Reynolds - career high try assists in 2023 and 2022 I think as well was a PB for him too
Oates - 2022 Oates had the best year he'd had in about 5 years was injured early in 2023
Smoothy - played a grand final after being a long term reserve grader everywhere else

I get that now in 2024 alot of these players are now playing a worse brand of football. But can we really say that all of these players finding their career best form under the one coach was a fluke? And is it really worth sacking that coach without really giving him a preseason to do what he did in 2022/2023? (Less than 12 months ago)
Walsh - some improvement but arguably not enough
Sailor - had one or two good games not Kev’s fault, Sailor isn’t NRL standard
Capewell - On par. Arguably worse.
Reynolds - best seasons in a long.
Oates - Been slowly declining for years. No one’s fault really.
Haas - Was only 21 when Kev arrived.
Carrigan - was only 22
Riki - has never lived up to original expectations. Stagnated since debut
Billy - was okay at tigers. Never had an extended opportunity anywhere else.
Smoothy - was solid tradesmen at Melbourne. No different here.
Arthars - improved significantly
Jensen - overlooked at cowboys but hasn’t really changed.
Staggs - regressed. Lost attacking impact
Cobbo - regressed this season. Hadn’t played under any other coach in NRL.
Mam - carried q cup form into first grade. Has not added anything to his game.

Palasia got better under Kev.
TMM played well.
Isaako got worse then improved after leaving.

Walsh - some improvement but arguably not enough
Sailor - had one or two good games not Kev’s fault, Sailor isn’t NRL standard
Capewell - On par. Arguably worse.
Reynolds - best seasons in a long.
Oates - Been slowly declining for years. No one’s fault really.
Haas - Was only 21 when Kev arrived.
Carrigan - was only 22
Riki - has never lived up to original expectations. Stagnated since debut
Billy - was okay at tigers. Never had an extended opportunity anywhere else.
Smoothy - was solid tradesmen at Melbourne. No different here.
Arthars - improved significantly
Jensen - overlooked at cowboys but hasn’t really changed.
Staggs - regressed. Lost attacking impact
Cobbo - regressed this season. Hadn’t played under any other coach in NRL.
Mam - carried q cup form into first grade. Has not added anything to his game.

Palasia got better under Kev.
TMM played well.
Isaako got worse then improved after leaving.
Yeah this is more about who has improved with considerations of this year.. In terms of the "Best" football they have ever played. Was it under Kev or a different coach?

Here’s how my week goes:

Match day: poor performance, lose. Weekend ruined.

Monday: back to work and face the mockery of my colleagues bar the other couple of Broncs fans.
Confidence factor: zero. It’s the end of the world.

Tuesday: still close to the ruined weekend but I’m now not sulking and wanting to kick in the tv screen.
Confidence factor: 10, meh, acceptance.

Wednesday: assessing the previous days team list. Still can’t believe how poor we’ve been, in paper we’ve got some good footy players.
Confidence factor: 30. If we play well, get the run of the Green, ya’ never know!

Thursday: last weekend may as well be 5 years. It’s all about this weekend, got to turn it around soon?
Confidence factor: 50, come on, we can do this, can’t we?

Friday: oh baby, so close to match day, got a really good feeling, we CAN win this!
Confidence factor: 80. Walking with a swagger and announcing this is the week the Broncos turn it around to my work colleagues.

Match day: Here we go, the buzz, the noise, the smell….. beer…..let’s have it!
Confidence factor: 100. We’re gonna smash these losers! Broncos by 30!

Post match: ahhhhhh f**k it.

Here’s how my week goes:

Match day: poor performance, lose. Weekend ruined.

Monday: back to work and face the mockery of my colleagues bar the other couple of Broncs fans.
Confidence factor: zero. It’s the end of the world.

Tuesday: still close to the ruined weekend but I’m now not sulking and wanting to kick in the tv screen.
Confidence factor: 10, meh, acceptance.

Wednesday: assessing the previous days team list. Still can’t believe how poor we’ve been, in paper we’ve got some good footy players.
Confidence factor: 30. If we play well, get the run of the Green, ya’ never know!

Thursday: last weekend may as well be 5 years. It’s all about this weekend, got to turn it around soon?
Confidence factor: 50, come on, we can do this, can’t we?

Friday: oh baby, so close to match day, got a really good feeling, we CAN win this!
Confidence factor: 80. Walking with a swagger and announcing this is the week the Broncos turn it around to my work colleagues.

Match day: Here we go, the buzz, the noise, the smell….. beer…..let’s have it!
Confidence factor: 100. We’re gonna smash these losers! Broncos by 30!

Post match: ahhhhhh f**k it.

Post Match: Maybe Kevie will say something that will make this better. Please Kevie make sense of this loss....

Post Post Match Press Conference: Oh my god. We're fucked.

I genuinely don't know what I want from this game.

I've moved beyond this season and only care about what's good for next year. To that end, I'd like to see next season's squad prioritized over those the club is thinking of letting go.

We have the talent to win the odd game without being coached. That's how our wins looked this year. But if we win like that, it only papers over the cracks. If we win this one, will it suddenly mean Kevvie's been harshly judged? Or will it just be the way the coin lands?

It's hard to watch us lose, especially by a big margin, but if that's what it takes for management to move Kevvie on, then maybe that's in the better interest of the team long term. Otherwise, next season will be as frustrating as this one.

Am I the asshole for not caring whether we win?
I'm in the same boat. Taken the care factor out of the game for me.

I'm also guilty of death riding the broncos due to some of issues at the club. I'm hoping that a miserable end of season will be force a change around recruitment and retention. What I would give to have Phil Gould in our business model. Everywhere Gould goes, long term success goes.

In respects to swapping around Walsh for Mam, what is the point? That is just desperation where it doesn't need to be; the season is done, Walsh is a fullback.

Fullback and 5/8 are very different due to the time factor. Similar skill set, but both have different positioning and defensive expectations. Fullback can pick their moments far more easily than a 5/8 due to roaming, point of view in attack. Same could be said for defence.

Kevin is the best coach we have at the moment. I think he will be first coached sacked next year though. The issues we have won't change over the off season.

In regards to Walsh warming up without his shirt prior to the Titans, I'm not particularly pleased with Walsh's influence. It is also interesting that our team of 23, finds itself today, looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane club.

I will watch season 25 with interest around culture, coaching, and retention. Everyone except, Carrigan, Willison, and Mozer improved. Interesting that everybody was just so off this year. Injuries can only explain so much.

You would root your own mother for Walsh to sign with you guys. You probably do anyway. 😂

the bench is cooked, surely can’t be what we are going to actually play.

Keen for Karapani get another run. Very raw but runs hard and looks to have a bit of potential to be a cheap longer term option in the backs. A player that could help balance the side a bit better.

Mariner not being dropped is a bit of a concern. He absolutely should be finishing the season in q cup to work on defence. some sort of message needs to be sent.

Keen for Karapani get another run. Very raw but runs hard and looks to have a bit of potential to be a cheap longer term option in the backs. A player that could help balance the side a bit better.

Mariner not being dropped is a bit of a concern. He absolutely should be finishing the season in q cup to work on defence. some sort of message needs to be sent.

Herbie
Niu

Our current squad

I can't correlate much in terms of player improvement. Players usually improve with experience. If you filter that out, it's not so pretty. I think Sailor improved under Karmichael Hunt. But he regressed badly this season.

Rather than individuals, if you want to judge the coach, I would look at the team as a whole. The team as a system. Whatever system Kevvie has put in place has always fallen to shit at the first hurdle. In the GF rematch, for example, as soon as Walsh went down we fell apart.

Kevvie's system appears to be based around getting the ball to Walsh or Reynolds and leaving it up to them to create magic. You see this all the time when Billy takes a run from dummy half, gets a few metres and then looks bewildered.

We have two main plays under Kevvie's system: routine hit up, and get the ball to Walsh or Reynolds.

I can't correlate much in terms of player improvement. Players usually improve with experience. If you filter that out, it's not so pretty. I think Sailor improved under Karmichael Hunt. But he regressed badly this season.

Rather than individuals, if you want to judge the coach, I would look at the team as a whole. The team as a system. Whatever system Kevvie has put in place has always fallen to shit at the first hurdle. In the GF rematch, for example, as soon as Walsh went down we fell apart.

Kevvie's system appears to be based around getting the ball to Walsh or Reynolds and leaving it up to them to create magic. You see this all the time when Billy takes a run from dummy half, gets a few metres and then looks bewildered.

We have two main plays under Kevvie's system: routine hit up, and get the ball to Walsh or Reynolds.
Maybe a Connor Watson type at 13 and move Carrigan to 8 at some stage may be a option to give us more attacking variety.

Maybe a Connor Watson type at 13 and move Carrigan to 8 at some stage may be a option to give us more attacking variety.
A Wally Lewis type?

Can we add putting the ball down in the ingoal to areas he needs to work on please. What a muppet that try could have swung momentum....then again nah.

We could certainly look at making that move but we would need someone who is able to play that role in the 13. With our props of Haas, Willson, Te Kura and Jensen it might need be a priority to shift Carrigan up front. If Hetheringon was kicking on like we had hoped he could of forced a change in how our pack operates. I'd say our edge forwards are more of a concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Cavalo
  • ostin86
  • Bronco bob
  • Bucking Beads
  • Sproj
  • Skyblues87
  • thenry
  • marw
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Harry Sack
  • broncos4life
  • theshed
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.