10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Footy Fanatic

NRL Player
Dec 12, 2018
I feel as though it all starts with our defensively mentality. Earlier in the year we weren't attacking great, but we kept ourselves in games through our defensive intensity, and we just haven't had that recently.

In attack for this game I would just like to see us tuck the ball under our arms and run. We have been far too side to side recently and need to earn the right to swing the ball.

Specifically I would like to see Mam running much more. His mentality should always be run first and pass second. He's so much more dangerous when he is running a lot.

thenry

thenry

QCup Player
Jul 20, 2017
I feel as though it all starts with our defensively mentality. Earlier in the year we weren't attacking great, but we kept ourselves in games through our defensive intensity, and we just haven't had that recently.

In attack for this game I would just like to see us tuck the ball under our arms and run. We have been far too side to side recently and need to earn the right to swing the ball.

Specifically I would like to see Mam running much more. His mentality should always be run first and pass second. He's so much more dangerous when he is running a lot.
I get what you're saying with Mam, but there's no use 'running' when the other forwards have bashed your side into submission. It'll only make his confidence worse if he's trying to make breaks off slow, back foot ball. He's not Locky or JT.

Emanon

Emanon

QCup Player
Apr 26, 2021
If Carrigan, Reynolds and Capewell are all out does that mean Turpin is automatically picked and acting captain?

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
What I would like to see Mam doing more is getting into dummy half and taking runs off the back of quick ptb's rather than just 'running it more' and taking premeditated runs off backline movements.

It's a focal point of the rorters to get on the back of quick ptb's and get another one for the next man up.

It looks like we've finally started doing it just recently with Staggs and Cobbo doing their thing last week, and they did again last night with Turpin running off the back of the Staggs run for easy meters.

Mam is an electric runner of the ball and he does get into dummy half for a run as it is, but he seems to do it purposely looking for markers not being square and getting a penalty, but if the ref doesn't pay it (like they didn't last night) then it's a wasted tackle and momentum of the quick ptb is gone.

Instead if he sees the quick ptb then he needs to be going... it needs to be a trigger for our attack. It's the best time to use the ball and we need to better at recognising it and having structures setup around it. It's been a trigger for the storm for years... Billy used to sit behind the ruck and the second a quick ptb happens they're all off and running and targetting the A and B defenders.

For Mam it could be a component he adds to his game whilst he's still young and learning his craft (I think it's something DBrown did when he was young). He's a good size body and strong runner for it to be effective so getting him in there gets him involved in the game without thinking I can only get involved if I create an opportunity with my edge multiple times a game.

It would also be nice if he can develop his grubber behind on early tackles... it was something Milf developed in his game by about 2016/17 and can add another weapon to his armoury, whilst also taking pressure off Reynolds.

Look at how many tries penrith score because Luai is willing and able to put in kicks behind when it's on. If you see the fullback in the line they're usually on the blind side... Mam likes to play on the blindside, so if he sees it, run at the fullback and get it through the line off the boot. If you get it right it's more often than not a try or a repeat set. It's something that Cody does as well, get it on the blindside chip it over the top and put huge pressure on them for the next set in defence.

We need to be able to find tries in more ways than nice backline movements... it's great that we can do it (when we can actually get into field position for it), but adding grubbers in behind from Mam in addition to the kicking that Reynolds already brings, gives us a bit of variety and starts to build Mam's confidence and role within the attack.

Maybe it's something that the coaching staff look to build into Mam's game over the preseason, but I hope that they are always looking to add to his game, because he needs to be able to create on his own and have some variety.

He's already got some weapons, but if we can get some confidence into him and have him calling and pulling off plays then he becomes an issue for opposition defences and it takes a lot of pressure off Reynolds and TMM.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
a "making up the numbers" finals preview

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
Expexting Kevvie to not make any changes, but I'd like to see;

1. TMM
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Farnworth/Hoeter/Brenko
5. Cobbo
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Jensen
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Capewell
12. Robati
13. Kobe

14. Walters/Paix
15. Flegler
16. Palasia
17. Piakura

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Really think mam needs a spell. Put gamble in

L

Locky888

QCup Player
Aug 28, 2015
Gamble will be key to turn things around. Start Gamble at 6 (provided he's healthy), Mam to the bench as a backup hooker/utility player, Turpin to reserves.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
We win this game so easily its not funny. Eels dont have 2 good games in a row.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
We win this game so easily its not funny. Eels dont have 2 good games in a row.
Relief Im So Relieved GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Bucking Beads
  • Hurrijo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.