POST GAME Round 24 - Broncos vs Eels

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
What about the atrocious 'push in the back' penalty in the first 10 minutes of the match! Staggs and Gutherson run into each other and Staggs merely gently raises his hands to prevent injury or I should say, defensively and bingo, penalty Parra. There was no way on earth he could have avoided contact.
Agreed. Later in the game, Staggs smashed someone, great hit, I think it was Mahoney comes in and grabs Staggs by the collar and boom, penalty Parra. What was that penalty for exactly?

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
Gutherson did his best impersonation of Smith during this game ... it was a pretty good one as well since Klein repeatedly did what he wanted

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
Agreed. Later in the game, Staggs smashed someone, great hit, I think it was Mahoney comes in and grabs Staggs by the collar and boom, penalty Parra. What was that penalty for exactly?
The sin binning, ten minutes...wtf ? Another bullshit penalty was the legs tackle by SOS, he'd actually let go quite quickly but Parra Hollywood Auditions Pty Ltd earned yet another underserved penalty.

I think the only lucky break we got was the touch Glenn got on the ball as Gutherson tried to make a clearing kick. Other than that we got very little. The crusher
tackle on Oates should have been a penalty AND suspension.

Finbar

NYC Player
Another bullshit penalty was the legs tackle by SOS
I wish the referees would give a bit of a reward to the defender when they make a great tackle around the legs. It's great to watch but is always punished with the quickest play the ball you'll ever see. Just an extra second or two and I'd be happy.

winslow_wong

State of Origin Captain
bris
Definitely. But it shouldn't have been sudden death at that point. Five each way then golden point would be fairer. Would have made more of a spectacle too, if the Broncos went down a try or stopped the Cowbs on the line. No one will ever convince me a dropped kickoff and an immediate field goal is an exciting or entertaining way to end a grand final
It would if it was the other way around and JT dropped a kick off.

winslow_wong

State of Origin Captain
bris
What about the atrocious 'push in the back' penalty in the first 10 minutes of the match! Staggs and Gutherson run into each other and Staggs merely gently raises his hands to prevent injury or I should say, defensively and bingo, penalty Parra. There was no way on earth he could have avoided contact.
Surely the bunker can intervene in a situation like that. When it’s blatantly a wrong call, they should over rule.

Thelmus

NRL Player
I think the only thing unfair about it is when the team that wins the toss scores off the first set the other team doesn't even touch the ball. They should get 1 set as rite of reply.
As soon as they kick it or make a mistake that's it, but to lose and not even get a chance with the ball is wrong.
So good last night but wrong in theory.
Yeah but that's also true in the 79th minute. Sometimes you're unlucky and that's sport. I agree with golden try but, even then you can't help bad luck.

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
That was a tough call, especially when you consider that Staggs took a safer option. If he had have kept his hands to himself and just run into the back of Gutherson it would have been a goal line drop out. However, you cannot use your arms or hands while contesting the ball. I get the impression that Klein was prepared to turn the other cheek, but since it was either a penalty or a goal line drop out he was forced into a decision.

Was that the Staggs hit on Brown, where Brown juggled it and Staggs smashed him? The Eels reacted, but it remained a turnover to the Broncos.

There were a few tough calls on the night. One in particular from the bunker which turned the game was the 'knock on' against Fifita. It should have been a scrum to the Broncos 10m out since Blake dragged the ball towards himself while facing backwards and lost control of it, making it a knock on prior to Fifita.

Surely the bunker can intervene in a situation like that. When it’s blatantly a wrong call, they should over rule.
As they demonstrated in the above incident, they're probably worse.

It's why a challenge system could never work. You're asking inferior decision makers to make big calls and 9/10 they'll just defer to the original call. It happened through out the Under 20s and it was a lottery most days.

Last edited:

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Yeah but that's also true in the 79th minute. Sometimes you're unlucky and that's sport. I agree with golden try but, even then you can't help bad luck.
No that's not true. Extra time is basically a new game, first point scorer wins. It's hard to score a point if you never get the ball.

Culhwch

QCup Player
It would if it was the other way around and JT dropped a kick off.
It's easy to say being a fan of the opposing team, but I honestly believe it's a shit way to win a game and I think I'd always feel a little uneasy about it if the situations were reversed.

LittleDavey83

NRL Player
Bundy
...because it's only the Broncos getting screwed, again. Why would the NSW-centric pricks bother to draw attention to it?

That's now the last 3 weeks we have, on balance during the game, been dudded by the refs. After Friday night even my old man, with whom I regularly argue about dodgy calls vs 'bad luck', has started to agree we're getting shafted.

I love how Sydney is starting to get scared of the talent we have though. Nothing better than salty NSW tears...

Pub Steak

QCup Player
Yep forgot that. Was definitely one for the montage of ridiculous refereeing.

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
Yep forgot that. Was definitely one for the montage of ridiculous refereeing.
Well what about the worst tackle of the night!!

I'm talking about the crusher tackle on Oates, 12 minutes in to the second half. Not only did it not receive a penalty, it wasn't even mentioned in commentary! Had Oates put his hand on the back of his neck and not arisen the Parra player would have received a 3-4 week suspension!!

It was text book crusher style yet very few seemed to notice, even some of we diehard fans. Check it out and tell me if I'm just being crazy. 12 minutes into the second half. Oates fields a kick.

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
Well what about the worst tackle of the night!!

I'm talking about the crusher tackle on Oates, 12 minutes in to the second half. Not only did it not receive a penalty, it wasn't even mentioned in commentary! Had Oates put his hand on the back of his neck and not arisen the Parra player would have received a 3-4 week suspension!!

It was text book crusher style yet very few seemed to notice, even some of we diehard fans. Check it out and tell me if I'm just being crazy. 12 minutes into the second half. Oates fields a kick.
Good eye, unbelievably the MRC missed it as well.

Hey Super Freak Super Freak, did you want to get the footage and Ask Kenty why the MRC are so inconsistent on crackdowns? We've got a player missing five weeks, and we couldn't even get a penalty for Blake's (that man again) text-book crusher.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter