Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Another stinker of a game by Oates. I'd be letting him walk to be honest. Not worth anywhere near the $600k a season he wants. To my knowledge, fergo is the only other winger on that money and he has dominated Oates every game they have played this year.

Boyd's best game in a year or two. The line break where he just ran was nice to see. That's been my issue with him. Not taking the line on and appearing scared to get tackled. Try showed good effort, although nothing too special. Did seem to go missing again when the game was on the line though.
Boyd has been improving every game at 5/8th. He still isn't where he should be, but it has been a wise decision from Siebold to put him there. I've thought about his performances and why Boyd has been kept in the team despite them.
During the saga last year, the team remained as one. That is no small feat and I'm pretty sure you can put that squarely on the leadership of Darius. Furthermore there have been times when the coach's position and that of the team have been put to the question. The team has remained solid to a man (Maguire and Roberts aside) and I think Darius is also instrumental to that. If fact, Siebold probably owes his own continuance to Darius, not the other way around (coaches who lose the dressing room don't last long).
If continues in his current 5/8th role kicking must be a part of his game. I'm not he takes the main kicking duties from milf, but he must be prepared to thread one through the line at times. and take the occasional punt. I assume he is working on it and is not yet ready to deploy it.
I'm patient, but the sooner it happens, the more doubt it will feed into our opponents.
O'Sullivan, despite his poor form last night needs to continue kicking, and macca who is good at it should do so as well.
This team plays very structured at times and that is all well and good, but we need to build into them the variety to allow at least a second kicker, be it from dummy half, or 5/8.

You’ve missed the point completely, so allow me to spell it out for you.

To blame a GF loss solely on a player / the players or the coach / coaching staff is just ridiculous. Sure, some moments are bigger than others, but there are literally thousands of Sliding Doors moments in a season, it makes it impossible to isolate one without bias - whether intentional or not.

And FTR; we did not lose the 2015 GF in the final seconds, champ.

We lost it in the last 15-20 or so minutes when we completely shut-up shop and tried to defend our lead, rather than keep doing what had been working - play football.

That was the game plan - coach called it, players executed it.

The loss was not solely on Bennett, nor the players - it was on all of them as group. Same goes had we won.

Lose together, win together. To suggest otherwise only further highlights your ignorance.

EDIT: I can understand people straight after the game, when emotions are running high, blaming Ben Hunt for the loss (as an example). He absolutely had a final 5 minutes to forget. But people were also so quick to forget he was a huge reason we even got there.

If people still can’t see that almost 4 years later, then they are simply looking for a scapegoat.
You don't have to explain it I know what happened, thanks for doing your best but .👍

I'm Surprised no one in the coaching staff hasn't thought of the idea to allow Isaako to do punts in play, you see the monster kick he did in the first attempt at the field goal, that would of easily been beyond a 60 meter kick.

Keep in mind this hits the post that is a Monster kick.

Last edited:
Fifita, Haas and Lodge just phenomenal every week. Milford has a great game too.

Credit to Darbs, he has been rightfully crucified and I still think he needs to retire but he was fantastic last night. If he can keep playing like that I would have no issue with him playing on next year.

Shout out to Rhys Kennedy, I am sure he is not on much and man he is providing value. Not a superstar but a workhorse with a nice offload. In this team with a superstar forward pack we need forwards like him that provide such great value. Nice Rhys.

I thought his kicking was terrible tbh, but his positioning, general half play and defence at 7 was streets ahead of Turpin there.

What do you do next week? Turpin has to come back in but can’t be at 7.
[automerge]1567210471[/automerge]
Fifita, Haas and Lodge just phenomenal every week. Milford has a great game too.

Credit to Darbs, he has been rightfully crucified and I still think he needs to retire but he was fantastic last night. If he can keep playing like that I would have no issue with him playing on next year.

Shout out to Rhys Kennedy, I am sure he is not on much and man he is providing value. Not a superstar but a workhorse with a nice offload. In this team with a superstar forward pack we need forwards like him that provide such great value. Nice Rhys.

I’ll gladly take my medicine on Kennedy. He was an astute pick up that I absolutely fed seibold on when it happened. Agree he’s great value.

Last edited:
What do you do next week? Turpin has to come back in but can’t be at 7.
I noticed he was in the brains trust up in the box on Seib's knee, like Macca when he was out. I don't know how common that is but you can't do better than that for getting the players on the same page as the coach.

A lot of fuss has been made about Boyd's defence this week, but he only made half the tackles of SOS (16 vs 32).

Not going to happen, but I'd bring Macca into lock, Turpin at hooker, leave Segy on the bench and rotate from there. Segy would have to feel hard done by to get dropped but it's hard to justify squeezing the three of them into one position.

Otherwise, Turpin on the bench.

Last edited:
couple of points;

1. Fifita and Haas played every minute of this game; honestly I don't recall ever seeing such engines on such young forwards before. Parra did a good job limiting Haas at times but still ran 234(!!!) metres, Fifita though they couldn't handle, he got 141 metres...

2. Shout out Number one to Lexi; great defence, brilliant little grubber and took the hard hit ups out of our 10 metre zone when required. Please sign that contract mate, you deserve it and we need your leadership here...

3. Shout out number 2 to Pattie Carrigan; 40 minutes produced 30 tackles, 70 metres and zero errors. This kid is growing nicely into the role and giving the coach a nice headache when everyones back

4. Macca was ok again, Boyd had his best game of the season, and if the rumours are true that his name was booed pre-game, shame on you...how dare you boo a Broncos captain like that...delighted to see Darius stick it up em with his performance tonight. Gunna be interesting when Turps returns next week because...

5. ...Seggy only came into the game early because Macca went to the bin, if not you all know when he'd come on dont you....this guy NEEDS more minutes on the field, he was strong in defence and was instrumental in providing thrust from dummy half when we really needed it. Tough decision for the coach next week

6. If we had a back line injury having Shiba on our bench is a stroke of genius, if we DONT have a injury then.....damned if you do, damned if you dont....our bench management remains a work in progress

7. SoS really does need, for his development and for the teams sake, to stay in the 7 rest of season. Gotta work out what we can do with him. He has some redeeming qualities (strong defender, brave when taking on the line, great combo on the edge with Fifita) but clearly has game management and kicking issues, anyone would think he has less than a dozen first grade games to his name.

What’s doing with Isaako’s defence! He stuffed about 3 kick chases due to him being a Turnstile

Boyd has been improving every game at 5/8th. He still isn't where he should be, but it has been a wise decision from Siebold to put him there. I've thought about his performances and why Boyd has been kept in the team despite them.
During the saga last year, the team remained as one. That is no small feat and I'm pretty sure you can put that squarely on the leadership of Darius. Furthermore there have been times when the coach's position and that of the team have been put to the question. The team has remained solid to a man (Maguire and Roberts aside) and I think Darius is also instrumental to that. If fact, Siebold probably owes his own continuance to Darius, not the other way around (coaches who lose the dressing room don't last long).
If continues in his current 5/8th role kicking must be a part of his game. I'm not he takes the main kicking duties from milf, but he must be prepared to thread one through the line at times. and take the occasional punt. I assume he is working on it and is not yet ready to deploy it.
I'm patient, but the sooner it happens, the more doubt it will feed into our opponents.
O'Sullivan, despite his poor form last night needs to continue kicking, and macca who is good at it should do so as well.
This team plays very structured at times and that is all well and good, but we need to build into them the variety to allow at least a second kicker, be it from dummy half, or 5/8.
Seriously? What poor form did SOS have? So, I guess the CM ratings are nothing to go by but if SOS had poor form then at least 6 other Broncos had poor form too.

SOS was rated above Glenn, Staggs, Kennedy, Flegler, Segeyaro, Carrigan and McCullough AND his poor form was matched by Gillett who was rated as equally poor.

Did you actually watch the game or did someone tell you what to think? I recommend you watch a replay. SOS was pretty darn good and at least one major newspaper agrees with that assessment.

The article that did the ratings which said SOS should be on the left makes the most sense to me. Left foot kicker, he had his best 40 minutes of his career mostly on that side (before he got injured)...but it won't happen, Seibold said Fifita loves Boyd. Boyd wasn't bad, but we probably aren't going to see much of Oates while he's the left side half.

Got out of jail in that one, they almost got us at the end many thanks to Moses average goal kicking. A loss at the end there would have been deflating as **** after those herculean efforts from Haas and Fifita again.

Our service from dummy half was iffy again. Macca's high-low-behind alternate passing combined with Seggy's end over end harbour bridge efforts. What happened to the bullet spiral passes, these highly paid pros should be doing it with their eyes closed.
The forwards should cop some of that blame too for being flat footed when the 9 is about to distribute. Seems like they just turn up and play when these moves (pod running) should be perfected at training.
If they came off the back fence, and met the ball just before the advantage line, our pack would be churning 60-70m a set. Disappointed to see Hass catch the ball with zero momentum and then try to generate quick leg speed when having already 2 defenders upon him. JT'lolo and Granville have a sweet combo going, our rakes should take notice.
Same applies for our attacking shifts, we look like strangers out there hesitantly passing it to each other. A very disjointed team we are.

Gus said it truthfully, in a way regarding our non-existent game plan - 'give it to the big kid'.

But a win is a win and we can only get better if we iron out those deficiencies in our game.
Bring on the Bulldogs and the finals!

Edit: Liking Macca's pressure on the kicker a quality strength to his other limitations.
Surprised that SOS has not been an improvement on Turps in my opinion.

Last edited:
What’s doing with Isaako’s defence! He stuffed about 3 kick chases due to him being a Turnstile
Agreed, his positioning was poor but even when properly positioned he is only average in defence. Mind you, against that beast just about anyone would struggle. I was so happy that Parra are so dumb. That Civo(?) should be in the centres in attack because he looks to be capable of busting through just about anyone. Parra should have got the ball to him way more often. Had they I'm certain we would have lost.

So anyone got the footage of Thaiday making a buffoon of himself?

couple of points;

1. Fifita and Haas played every minute of this game; honestly I don't recall ever seeing such engines on such young forwards before. Parra did a good job limiting Haas at times but still ran 234(!!!) metres, Fifita though they couldn't handle, he got 141 metres...

2. Shout out Number one to Lexi; great defence, brilliant little grubber and took the hard hit ups out of our 10 metre zone when required. Please sign that contract mate, you deserve it and we need your leadership here...

3. Shout out number 2 to Pattie Carrigan; 40 minutes produced 30 tackles, 70 metres and zero errors. This kid is growing nicely into the role and giving the coach a nice headache when everyones back

4. Macca was ok again, Boyd had his best game of the season, and if the rumours are true that his name was booed pre-game, shame on you...how dare you boo a Broncos captain like that...delighted to see Darius stick it up em with his performance tonight. Gunna be interesting when Turps returns next week because...

5. ...Seggy only came into the game early because Macca went to the bin, if not you all know when he'd come on dont you....this guy NEEDS more minutes on the field, he was strong in defence and was instrumental in providing thrust from dummy half when we really needed it. Tough decision for the coach next week

6. If we had a back line injury having Shiba on our bench is a stroke of genius, if we DONT have a injury then.....damned if you do, damned if you dont....our bench management remains a work in progress

7. SoS really does need, for his development and for the teams sake, to stay in the 7 rest of season. Gotta work out what we can do with him. He has some redeeming qualities (strong defender, brave when taking on the line, great combo on the edge with Fifita) but clearly has game management and kicking issues, anyone would think he has less than a dozen first grade games to his name.
Sos is a 5/8 for me. Him abd Dearden could be the right pick for the future once Boyd does hang them up. Both have solid defence but Dearded appears to be the calm mind. Love the competitive nature of SOS. Imagine Turps, Dearden, Sos and Milf as a spine. You have a competitive , tough and capable spine to work behind this powerhouse pack.

Great performance by the boys. Much improved defence and a much more organised performance from our spine. I agree that it was Boyds best game of the year and I though Milf had his best game at fullback so far.

We have had a lot of close hard fought games recently and we are playing with a lot more consistency. With another battle against the Dogs next week, we should be reasonably confident heading into the finals.

Sos is a 5/8 for me. Him abd Dearden could be the right pick for the future once Boyd does hang them up. Both have solid defence but Dearded appears to be the calm mind. Love the competitive nature of SOS. Imagine Turps, Dearden, Sos and Milf as a spine. You have a competitive , tough and capable spine to work behind this powerhouse pack.

agreed....however given the talk recently looks like Boyds staying so we need to determine what we do with SoS next season.....QRL or something for the year..??.....not sure but we have to continue to build his game up. 5/8th puts him out on the left and everyone here seems in agreement its the best place for him....just not next year it seems..

How many games have we had Dearden + SoS together in the halves..???...I dont think we have is that right..?

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Bucking Beads
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Fozz
  • cento
  • RolledOates
  • Lozza
  • Foordy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • broncos4life
  • BroncosAlways
  • Wolfie
  • Harry Sack
  • Fitzy
  • Clintos
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.