Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit of rain around today

Time to see if our forward pack learnt their lesson and bring the pain. Tag 'em and bag' em.

I always thought Tim Mander was the worst ref.

I hated it when he was ref whenever the Broncos were playing.
Yeah, I think he overcompensated for being a Broncos fan. But Mander was actually quite a good ref when reffing anyone else.

Like @Big Pete reminded us - Klein is diabolically bad across the board. Am I right in thinking he got his start in Super League? Hmmm.

We really need to dominate them tonight and not let their forwards dominate us again. If the forwards can keep a high intensity and lay a good platform for the backs then we will win comfortably. If not then it could end up being the same as last time.

With wet weather, we need to be more circumspect with regard to errors. We should be looking to bend the line with our forwards more so tonight. Not fussed about us making mistake in offloading when we do, but it must go with forward momentum in wet weather or we face a lopsided stake of possession against us with our opponents taking advantage of the errors. Forward momentum takes some (not all) of that away with a retreating defence leave us the advantage with loose balls etc. and just making it easier to do so. Otherwise, we must be prepared to grind through, until a mini-break, or line bending run from one of our forwards. That includes our backs too, who sometimes play to a completely different strategy to our forwards.
In wet weather possession is key. The opportunities to score are more limited and wearing down opponents is a much more effective strategy as a result. I doubt we will win the forwards battle early but we will have periods of advantage with mistakes, penalties etc. When we do, that is the time to use the skill advantage we have, not after a repeat set of 6, defending the line as we are sometimes wonten to do.
As I write this the sun is beaming down, so I may have just wasted my literal "breath" with a nice dry pitch forthcoming. Any, here's to a happy conclusion and 2nd spot. :)

With wet weather, we need to be more circumspect with regard to errors. We should be looking to bend the line with our forwards more so tonight. Not fussed about us making mistake in offloading when we do, but it must go with forward momentum in wet weather or we face a lopsided stake of possession against us with our opponents taking advantage of the errors. Forward momentum takes some (not all) of that away with a retreating defence leave us the advantage with loose balls etc. and just making it easier to do so. Otherwise, we must be prepared to grind through, until a mini-break, or line bending run from one of our forwards. That includes our backs too, who sometimes play to a completely different strategy to our forwards.
In wet weather possession is key. The opportunities to score are more limited and wearing down opponents is a much more effective strategy as a result. I doubt we will win the forwards battle early but we will have periods of advantage with mistakes, penalties etc. When we do, that is the time to use the skill advantage we have, not after a repeat set of 6, defending the line as we are sometimes wonten to do.
As I write this the sun is beaming down, so I may have just wasted my literal "breath" with a nice dry pitch forthcoming. Any, here's to a happy conclusion and 2nd spot. :)
Is that you JD?

I want the forwards to be hungry to make up for the bashing they copped last time.

Anything less will be unacceptable.

Yeah, I think he overcompensated for being a Broncos fan. But Mander was actually quite a good ref when reffing anyone else.

Like @Big Pete reminded us - Klein is diabolically bad across the board. Am I right in thinking he got his start in Super League? Hmmm.

yeah seeing Klein just saps whatever enthusiasm I had for the match about to begin.

On another note, I've become a fan of Malcolm Knox's writing the last few weeks. I don't know how I missed this gem of an article on referees blowing square-up penalties. Check out this absolute pearler of a comment from him:

Here is the context. Like climate change policy, today's league refereeing is all about making an error to overcompensate for a previous error. A minute before the dud decision when the Bunker's Jared Maxwell stopped a review of the try, Uate was denied a fair try by a dubious penalty.

So the wrong try decision was a square-up for the wrong no-try decision. And yet, it was a square-up for a square-up. A minute before the Uate no-try decision, Newcastle had got a dodgy forward-pass call. So they deserved the first no-try call as a square-up. But their wrong forward-pass decision followed a dodgy forward-pass call against Manly. Which followed a string of fifth-tackle penalties in Newcastle's favour for no reason at all. Which followed an earlier penalty count Manly's way. Which followed a long, drawn-out Bunker review of a Manly no-try that not even the Manly players were claiming, during which everyone had to wait around for three minutes mentally toe-tapping to Zorba the Greek in the rain while someone in the video booth found a butter knife to stick in his VHS tape to rewind it manually.

To summarise: the Uate "try" was a square-up for a square-up for a square-up for a square-up, times 10, to the power of infinity, going right back to the 1997 grand final. AND IT HAPPENS NEARLY EVERY FREAKING GAME.

Nailed it. This guy is the real deal.

Here's a link to the entire article: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-on-overzealous-referees-20170615-gws2fe.html

Broncs by 24. Milform Mom. McGuire a close second.

Let's fucking smash the shit out of Kenny Edwards, and the whole of the Eels team
The Broncos aren't really a "smash the shit" type side. I'll be happy with some magnificent backline moves resulting in an abundance of four pointers.

The Broncos aren't really a "smash the shit" type side. I'll be happy with some magnificent backline moves resulting in an abundance of four pointers.
I still feel a little shit-head bashing might be in order

This might be a close game i think .. semi std

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• TwoLeftFeet
  • Lozza
  • Hurrijo
  • achievedrap
  • cento
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Painin the Haas
  • Sproj
  • PETERN
  • KateBroncos1812
  • lynx000
  • mystico
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.