PRE-GAME Round 26 - Cowboys vs Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've actually felt alot more comfortable when our youger forwards have been on over the back half of this season so I'm kind of excited knowing tpg, offa, herman and arrow will most likely be in the squad the rest of the year. Hopefully they can bring that bit of hunger and energy we seem to lack at times.

If we are going to be realistic here i think we should win this game and win well. The cowboys have been our bogey team and are always up for the challenge against us however. I just feel like they've been just hanging on by the skin of their teeth this last month and while they've been trying hard a good performance could be enough to break their hearts given the run of injuries they have had.

Either way we have no excuses for a loss as we've had the "wake up call loss we needed to have" so for me this is ultimately week one of the finals. Its not like we have third position sown up and are going out there taking it easy just trying to get through to the finals unscathed. We have momentum to regain and more importantly some respect to regain. This must be a no bulls##t performance.

The funny thing is Broncos are still $2.40 (second favourites) to play Storm in the GF.

Funny.......or it makes total sense?

If we finish 3rd, we have to win in the first week.

Otherwise we play Storm in Melbourne in week 3 if we win the second game.
But what if parra or sharks beat storm week 1...just saying but ***** things up. ..truly is one game at a time..cant rely on any outcme but your own...any way we have a pretty good record at sfs.

Perfect scenario for me would be facing the roosters at Allianz week 1. Puts them as favourites with the punters and media. We play better as underdogs with little expectation.

I wouldn't mind losing the last round game, for me the 1st round of the finals doesn't matter with the week off sometimes not being good for a team and/or a loss in week 1 really waking a team up that it could be season over soon (cowboys 2015), BUT it's the cowboys and I would love it if we beat them at anytime (with the added possibility of knocking them out of the 8 if manly win and dragons win both their last games)

Wayne Bennett works overtime to plug Broncos’ leaks ahead of crunch Cowboys clash
0ad4f8cbd2c8012711fd6846ae66a222

THE Broncos are set for a defensive overhaul, with coach Wayne Bennett to turn up the heat on his side ahead of Thursday’s crucial showdown with the Cowboys.
Before Round 25, Brisbane were the second best defensive team in the competition and were sitting in the top two on the ladder with Melbourne.
But after leaking 52 points to Parramatta, they have now conceded more points than the Storm, Sharks and Roosters this season.
After also slipping out of the top two, an unimpressed Bennett will be looking to fix it as soon as Thursday.
The focus on defence was evident on Sunday, as the team hit the training paddock for the first time since the embarrassing loss to the Eels.
Left-edge combination Corey Oates and Tautau Moga became the first to feel the brunt of the reaction to the loss, with the pair taken through defensive drills by Bennett and assistant coach Jason Demetriou.
2d87df658e357a71056146483e668636

Corey Oates at Broncos Training at Red Hill. Pic Annette Dew
Skipper Darius Boyd and hooker Ben Hunt also weighed into what towering winger Oates could do better to sharpen up his defence.
But it is not expected that Oates and Moga will be the only two targeted this week, with the whole team set to be put through their paces as they edge closer to the highly anticipated Queensland derby.
Brisbane’s right side will no doubt also come under heavy scrutiny after leaking six tries.
Brisbane forward Alex Glenn knew the team would be put to the test, saying Bennett would quickly identify what had to change.
“The thing that let us down is we didn’t play to our potential. We were our own worst enemy out there,” he said.
6cb9dae188e0cf0688c4ee332715c5d9

Corey Oates at Broncos Training at Red Hill. Pic Annette Dew
“The coach is pretty constructive. He won’t give it to the boys for no particular reason. He’s very constructive in that way of coaching and it’s good for us.
“We know we played a bad game. We all feel the pain and so does he. He’s very good at the way he coaches and fixing where we went wrong.”
Former Broncos skipper Gorden Tallis said it came as no surprise that Bennett was focusing on defence this week.
Tallis, who played under Bennett for eight years, has no doubt in his mind the Brisbane coach wold be able to right the wrongs before the finals started.
“Wayne Bennett’s a master at working out defence,” Tallis said.
“That’s what he is and what he coaches. He’ll realise what the players did wrong and he would have been in this situation before.
“They can turn it around. They have one more week before the finals.”
c00f94b3cb638f886fee3df6adb37c94

Cowboys winger Kyle Feldt will test the Broncos defence.
Even with the extra week before finals begin, the Broncos will be desperate to get a win over the Cowboys.
It could earn back a top-two spot and build momentum heading into September.
North Queensland will be a huge test, with Oates marking winger Kyle Feldt, who won the Cowboys their match against the Tigers on Friday.
For Feldt, it’s a showdown he is looking forward to.
“Me and Corey go way back,” he said.
“We’ve been in Origin camp together and he’s a good bloke. It’s always fun to throw a bit of chat at him.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...h/news-story/c79d021e3c01e108e7bd6f1105090ccd

Moga is the one that needs to be pulled aside for a chat about his defence. Would it work if Oates and moga swapped positions in defence?

No way in hell we get back second. It just won't happen even if we put a hundred on the cowpats.I didn't think Oates and Moga were our biggest concern and Boyd and Hunt having a say ?

No way in hell we get back second. It just won't happen even if we put a hundred on the cowpats.I didn't think Oates and Moga were our biggest concern and Boyd and Hunt having a say ?

Just gotta win first and foremost and let the rest sort itself out. Roosters might choke and Hayne decides to have a blinder.

I remember in 2013 the Roosters losing to the Titans in Round 25.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility. It's the Titans last game of the season, everyone wants to go out on a win. As opposed to the Roosters who really don't have all that much to play for. They are in the top 4 regardless and get a home semi regardless.

I remember in 2013 the Roosters losing to the Titans in Round 25.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility. It's the Titans last game of the season, everyone wants to go out on a win. As opposed to the Roosters who really don't have all that much to play for. They are in the top 4 regardless and get a home semi regardless.
Yes but no Wallace to lead the charge. The Roosters will definitely want to keep second.

Couldn't agree more... hilarious!

Boyd was going all Mel and saying, just follow my example guys cos nothing matters.

Results didnt go our way so to make it a certainty we have to win to make finals or we will be hoping on the panthers dusting up the sea eags or the bulldogs beating the dragons. Dont want to rely on them.

Over the last few years these two sides have played some classics that have really been gut busters that have affected them the weeks after. Im not sure what the Broncos gain by going all out on thursday. Sure they will want to win for confidence but in terms of laying it all on the line in a fast paced game I dont see the benefit for them.

We will be up for it. Basically a final for us and if we do lose we have got to keep it close for F/A against Manly if they lose. Got most of the troops back except O'Neill but Bowen has been better anyway so no big loss

Im confident we can win the middle it will be just scoring tries that will be the problem and fixing a few issues defensively. Been disappointed with lowe and bolton the last few weeks. Bolton has apparently dropped 5kgs because of sickness so that might explain that one. Would like to see hess show a bit more also now that he is back in the middle. Not sure if he is carrying injury or if his first long season is just catching up with him but he has been very quiet the last 6 weeks.

Brisbane should win but desperation might just get us over the line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Tim K
  • johnyE
  • Jedhead
  • YeahNahMate
  • Broncosarethebest
  • BRC088
  • broncoscope
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Stix
  • Galah
  • Redfern_1980
  • Confidor
  • Dexter
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Santa
  • kman
  • Strop
  • Bucking Beads
  • Xzei
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.