Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
It is a headache but a pleasant one. I do generally hope we keep Oatesy just not on a lot of money and if we can keep Herbie, it would be great but I do suspect you are right. I guess the other option though is if Niu doesn't cut it this year (last night was first game back, so will cut him some slack but he certainly needs to improve quickly), the other option is shift Cobbo to fullback next season and then Herbie / Oates are the wings with Staggs/Mariner in the centres. That is an extremely exciting backline and Arthars is a decent back up, so I hope we keep him. Plus Lee and Pereira are more than decent break glass options.
On one hand, it would be nice for the club to keep Oates if he continues to play well; on the other it would be unfair to stockpile him in the QCup for a rainy day if he could get a starting place elsewhere.

I'm still unsure if Selwyn's ready for the prime time. His dickfingers really are a worry, so he's another candidate for being slowcooked out on the wing. But Herbie is a deadset proven cul de sac in the backline, and unfortunately nothing changed in the off season. Watching other games over the weekend, it's usual to see centres popping basketball passes and trick shots all over the show in every direction. That's what defines a centre for me. But Herbie, at best, can manage a bread and butter pass to the winger without much thought to whether he's placed to receive it. There's only one position for that kind of footballer, and that's on the wing. I would keep Herbie over Corey, though. He has more strings to his bow.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Stuck record here:

Herbie (along with Albert) were our best last night, and with two solo tries and one try saving tackle Herbie won the game for us. He could've kicked the goals as well and thoroughly deserves to be in the team. But he plays like a wing, not a centre. He needs to be shifted wider. And Kev needs to see that sooner than later because Herbie is clogging up the backline with his stunted ball skills and individualist play.

I propose he switches with Selwyn. We wouldn't lose anything from Herbie's game, but we might gain by having someone more team aware at centre. Selwyn is being wasted out there. No need to drop anyone.

Tesi and Kotoni had ordinary games, but I'd leave them be for now.

The weekend showed that he doesn't need to have the #2 jersey to be able to be utilised like a winger. What a fantastic play it was where Kelly rockets up to the defence with Oates looking to come in on one of his trademark bulldozing runs, drawing the defence in, giving The Love Bug just enough space to burn everyone on the outside. Herbie is a much better defender that Oates would be at centre as he is far more mobile and reads the play better, and Oates tough kick returns are an absolute must-have at the moment, so the way they are lining up is spot-on for mine.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Do you think Herbie getting changed out with Cobbo might lead him to believe that it's a demotion and help him make his mind up to leave looking for better opportunities.?
I still agree that changing him back to wing for now is probably the best for the Broncos.
I still would have liked to have seen him get a go at fullback in the trials to see how he went but once again maybe his passing game ( or lack off)would have been the reason.
Yes I do. I think he'll almost certainly leave to Redcliffe if Wayne dangles another position in front of him. It doesn't help everyone raved about him last night, without mentioning he played a 10/10 wingers game but a 6/10 centre's game.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
The weekend showed that he doesn't need to have the #2 jersey to be able to be utilised like a winger. What a fantastic play it was where Kelly rockets up to the defence with Oates looking to come in on one of his trademark bulldozing runs, drawing the defence in, giving The Love Bug just enough space to burn everyone on the outside. Herbie is a much better defender that Oates would be at centre as he is far more mobile and reads the play better, and Oates tough kick returns are an absolute must-have at the moment, so the way they are lining up is spot-on for mine.
I agree, but if he plays like a wing, he should be on the wing. Centres who play like centres are the cornerstones of attack. They're the guys who put the wingers in the corner.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
This game is critical for us on the ladder. We win this, we can step ahead with Panthers and Storm. Would give us a nice kick along.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
This game is critical for us on the ladder. We win this, we can step ahead with Panthers and Storm. Would give us a nice kick along.

Totally agree, sets us up for a big season. The way we are going, we will get decimated for origin, so need to bank some wins now.

If the boys keep winning, I reckon all of Capewell, Haas, Carrigan, Flegler, Cobbo, Hetherington, Staggs and possibly Oates make the squads (if they are still doing Covid squads that is which I guess they probably won't).

Reactions: 007
BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
I can see TC robati possibly making way. Only short time on but gave away 2 penalties straight away.
Robati has looked horrible this year. I'm happy to keep him ahead of the likes of Kennedy/James, but wouldn't be against Piakura getting his spot.
Yes, Deine is looming large, which almost certainly has at least one outside back headed to Redcliffe. Tesi, Selwyn, Brenko and Jordan P are contracted through next season - and lest we forget Jesse is booked to return - so unless Kevvie can horsetrade, Corey's not getting re-signed, and Herbie's looking like the odd man out.

Yep, that's how I see it as well. It's a tough one for Herbie too. He's looking for a contract upgrade, and he's unlikely to get it on the wing.
Brenko and Peirera are depth players this year, and will be for the length of their contracts. We aren't going to ditch Oates/Herbie because we have those few guys on close to min wage. Oates is absolutely worth resigning based on his form this year, and then take into account he is a club veteran and fan favourite.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Stuck record here:

Herbie (along with Albert) were our best last night, and with two solo tries and one try saving tackle Herbie won the game for us. He could've kicked the goals as well and thoroughly deserves to be in the team. But he plays like a wing, not a centre. He needs to be shifted wider. And Kev needs to see that sooner than later because Herbie is clogging up the backline with his stunted ball skills and individualist play.

I propose he switches with Selwyn. We wouldn't lose anything from Herbie's game, but we might gain by having someone more team aware at centre. Selwyn is being wasted out there. No need to drop anyone.

Tesi and Kotoni had ordinary games, but I'd leave them be for now.
Pretty bad timing to bring this argument up again. Every one of our tries were on that left edge and the Herbie/Oates edge combined for roughly 350m more than their right counterparts.

If there’s any argument for swapping them it’s that our right is struggling and our left is too dominant.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
I just want someone at the back who doesn't get the yips after they make one drop. Both Isaako and Niu aren't good enough unfortunately. I hope we are still open to Cobbo or Herbie getting a run back there because they would bring a lot to the team if they can get the things right that haven't been right for a few years now.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
And obviously hooker is another issue. Turpin won't be dropped while we are winning but the writing is on the wall for him. The day it's known that he's signed elsewhere he should never don a Broncos jersey again.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Pretty bad timing to bring this argument up again. Every one of our tries were on that left edge and the Herbie/Oates edge combined for roughly 350m more than their right counterparts.

If there’s any argument for swapping them it’s that our right is struggling and our left is too dominant.
Both his tries were solo efforts. I've never knocked his solo effort. I'm knocking his skills to get other players involved. We should've racked up ten tries last night but we made a real chore of it. Go check all the predictions. Obviously Tesi and Kotoni are also under fire, but for different reasons.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Do you think Herbie getting changed out with Cobbo might lead him to believe that it's a demotion and help him make his mind up to leave looking for better opportunities.?
I still agree that changing him back to wing for now is probably the best for the Broncos.
I still would have liked to have seen him get a go at fullback in the trials to see how he went but once again maybe his passing game ( or lack off)would have been the reason.
I think he is smart enough to know what is best for the team and if he wants to see a successful Broncos (i'm sure he does) he'll play anywhere in the backline.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Both his tries were solo efforts. I've never knocked his solo effort. I'm knocking his skills to get other players involved. We should've racked up ten tries last night but we made a real chore of it. Go check all the predictions. Obviously Tesi and Kotoni are also under fire, but for different reasons.
We should’ve racked up 10 tries? We got completely dominated across the park.

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008

Honestly I'm not really seeing a lot of opportunities where I think, 'Herbie should have passed that.' In a lot of cases I just don't think Oates is in an advantageous position, and the pass isn't on. I'd like to see Oates cutting back inside more when Herbie drifts out, but he tends to just stay wide, and they both end up cramped on the edge. Disclaimer - I'm not crunching film, so if there are examples of Herbie being overly possessive of the Steeden, I'm happy to be proven wrong.

We saw Capewell with the great cut-out pass in Round 1, and we've seen Kelly work well with his outside men on the right side. Hopefully with some experience playing together those four can put on some plays, and that might involve sometimes going to Herbie, sometimes cutting him out to hit Oates, or sometimes going through the hands. As noted above, it's been a fairly productive edge so far, so I don't know if I'd be messing too much with it.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Can I just say, I’m loving how little credit and respect we’re getting.

- Yesterday was all because the Dogs were not quite ‘finessed’
- The refs gave us a dodgy try
- Cows will win easy next week because they smashed us in the trial
- South’s were a rabble
- Capewell got lucky
- If Latrell played the result would have been different
- South’s need time to get used to new combinations
- Dogs need time to do the same
- Dogs didn’t take a dive

Apparently we haven’t deserved either win.

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019
Still think Kobe starting 13, Reynolds mentioned him being his big surprise and how important he is to our middle.

8 hair
10 haas
13 Kobe

flegs off the bench to create chaos, good or bad, who knows with that guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Wild Horse
  • Harry Sack
  • Manofoneway
  • Culhwch
  • Galco
  • Wolfie
  • Justwin
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Bish
  • jarro65
  • Big Del
  • Swordfish
  • FACTHUNT
  • Behold
  • broncos4life
  • Lostboy
  • pennywisealfie
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.