Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Mairner's game had things to not be happy about- three dropped balls and three missed tackles- one was a one on one miss and Bears scored. Kevvie won't accept that even if you score four tries.

Herbie is streets ahead of him.

I wonder if he will be in 12 months time though.

B

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2015
Staggs needs to get involved more because his defence is highly questionable. If he brings a lack of offensive involvement alongside questionable defence -- then he is approaching liability territory.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Staggs needs to get involved more because his defence is highly questionable. If he brings a lack of offensive involvement alongside questionable defence -- then he is approaching liability territory.
I thought Staggs defence in the final 10mins or so was excellent.

Dogs sent everything to the left and he was picking the right times to come up and shut it down.

There was the time when dogs had us absolutely shot to bits and he came up on Burton to force the error... if he's slightly late to react on that or doesn't commit enough then it was an easy try and they would've had a shot at goal to level it.

I recall him missing a tackle on Nadan late in the game, which gave them a half break, but the cover defense came across to shut it down.

I feel our edge defence has been infinitely better than what it was over the last two years

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
The play always dies with Herbie. Thankfully, twice yesterday that was over the try-line.

I've had @Wolfie telling me it's because he doesn't feel comfortable passing in that direction. For ****'s sake. He should be able to pass both ways and kick with both feet. He's in first grade.
Give it a rest mate, it becomes a tad bit repetitive after the 15th time.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
The play always dies with Herbie. Thankfully, twice yesterday that was over the try-line.

I've had @Wolfie telling me it's because he doesn't feel comfortable passing in that direction. For ****'s sake. He should be able to pass both ways and kick with both feet. He's in first grade.

Some players don't react naturally on their non favoured side. Go and talk to any coach and they will tell you the same. I know it's a different sport, but Messi and Maradona are two absolutely world class, elite footballers who aren't great with their right feet. You could level the same argument that they should be able to be as good on their weaker side.

Herbie has also shown he can release the pass tbf to Herbie, he just doesn't do it enough and I'd bet it's because he just doesn't have that movement naturally.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I thought Staggs defence in the final 10mins or so was excellent.

Dogs sent everything to the left and he was picking the right times to come up and shut it down.

There was the time when dogs had us absolutely shot to bits and he came up on Burton to force the error... if he's slightly late to react on that or doesn't commit enough then it was an easy try and they would've had a shot at goal to level it.

I recall him missing a tackle on Nadan late in the game, which gave them a half break, but the cover defense came across to shut it down.

I feel our edge defence has been infinitely better than what it was over the last two years
Staggs for me still has the Oates habit of rushing inside when he should be holding his ground. It worked a couple of times tbf against the Doggies, but I still feel he needs to be a bit smarter when he does it.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
Staggs for me still has the Oates habit of rushing inside when he should be holding his ground. It worked a couple of times tbf against the Doggies, but I still feel he needs to be a bit smarter when he does it.

His issue stems from timing IMO. Being so far up into the line he has no chance but to cut back in. Give himself an extra 5-10m and he can do what he wants or draw and pass to Cobbo. It might be a lack of confidence with speed, as even pre set he isn't steaming in.

E

easybreezy

BRL Player
Nov 23, 2021
Re: Herbie can't pass
My two cents...
I think the set play from the scrum yesterday may have been a bit of a clue to the passing situation. I hope Oates realises he's not very fast (the rest of the world sure does), and so they realise its not always in the best interest to throw to Oates. I don't think it's not because Herbie cant pass, but that they know the limitation on Oates' speed. A few metres out from the line, an unmarked Oates will get the ball...but in the midfield when Farnworth could pass the ball to Oates who would be easily tackled versus Herbie cutting back?...different situation.
The fact that Herbie was positioned outside of Oates for the scrum play yesterday I think points to that being a strategy...or at least an acknowledgement of the fact.

B

Brotherdu

NRL Player
Feb 20, 2017
No, didn’t you hear Cronk; they like to pluck no-name outside backs from obscurity.

Like that bloke, Coates I think his name is, they’ve got playing for them now.
According to the commentary team on Sunday, Coates is still playing for us........

Not sure if they were making a joke....Corey Oates....C Oates....Coates. But they kept calling him that.

something

something

QCup Player
Jun 6, 2015
Herbie and Kelly had a fucking game didn't they. Weapons.

Think people are being hard on Staggs. He didn't have a big game in attack and bombed an easy one, but he had a big defensive game. They went at him all day and he didn't let in a single try, he also saved a certain try when he came out of nowhere to hold Burton up, and a big potential try saver on Naden. I also think Tesi had a decent albeit quiet first game back.

Matt Burton is a very, very good player. Averillo is as average as they come.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
We shut down Hammer and contain Feldt and i think we beat them comfortably.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015

Think people are being hard on Staggs. He didn't have a big game in attack and bombed an easy one, but he had a big defensive game. They went at him all day and he didn't let in a single try, he also saved a certain try when he came out of nowhere to hold Burton up, and a big potential try saver on Naden. I also think Tesi had a decent albeit quiet first game back.

He made 21 tackles and missed 6. Thing is now he's signed the big contract he has the expectation that comes with that. He's been way below what we should be expecting from him. Hopefully he can improve week on week from now.

K

kman

QCup Player
Aug 8, 2021

Couldn't agree more about Tesi, he got no trial games and dropped one of Burton's massive bombs. 2 LBA 1 TA so massive difference from Issakos nothing from last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • Waynesaurus
  • Wolfie
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Culhwch
  • bb_gun
  • Dash
  • ezpz
  • Howie
  • Harry Sack
  • Santa
  • MrTickyMcG
  • BroncosAlways
  • Alec
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • winslow_wong
  • Lurker
  • Allo
  • lynx000
  • Porthoz
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.