Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
I had hoped sleeping it off would have cooled me off a bit, but nope. Still pissed. I'm just so sick of this team dropping its bundle when it matters most. The try Isaako slaughtered, the soft penalty from frustration after which led to conceding instead, then the rushed field goal. Just a comprehensive montage of DERP.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Mate, these last two games Glenn has not done enough. 80 mins and his meters are far below average. He needs to inject himself in the game more. I usually have him as a solid defender but Im not sure he has been his best for someone fighting to retain his starting role.

I think he was solid in both games tbh. We got dominated last night and he never shirked anything.

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
We were more inexperienced last year and Bennett got fired because we were hot and cold.

I reckon its an arrogance thing. We tend to believe our own hype and the young players think because they put in last week they dont have to this week. Could be a leadership issue, need someone to tell them to pull their heads in.
The broncos have tended to fall into the same trap for most of their history unfortunately. We've usually had exciting but unpredictable halves and forwards whose form has gone up and down during the season. In the past though, we've usually had one great forward with both the professional attitude and leadership to drive the others, and an experienced half to settle the ship with a good kick or dyna
Gillet and Tevita both try and do so, but Tevita is still young and gillet doesn't have the extraverted personality to impress the others, nor is he is capable of turning the momentum with a determined hit up. He is a great defender leads by example that way but is still short of full fitness to make dynamic runs.
Both halves are comparatively in-experienced and still learning.
Making mistakes is part of learning and taking risks (like 6th tackle runs or rushing out of the line to tackle) is part of the game. The learning is to know when you can afford the mistake and if the risk is worth it.
The problem is we have a whole lot of young players learning together at the same time. Its exciting and frustrating at the same time but inevitable unless we are prepared to be a lot more structured than we have been.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Add the dragons to the list of our bogey sides which includes the storm and the warriors. We get owned by these teams and can’t do a thing about it

Special mention to the eels as well. Quite a big list of bogey sides
I'm sure we've beat those Dragqueens on a number of occasions when the result really counted. Can't think of when. The Warriors have beaten us well once or twice but I'd never consider them a bogey side.

B

Brotherdu

NRL Player
Feb 20, 2017
The more I think about it, we have all the talent in the world, but what we are really lacking is some footy smarts. We just keep doing dumb shit and not learning from it.

I also think the players have taken this uptempo play style to heart and it's affecting their ability to assess a situation and make a correct decision. We had a few play the ball issues, drop goals off a bad pass with tackles up our sleeves, passes that didn't need to be pushed, TPJ (and others) rushing out the line in Def and putting other players under pressure. Everything is just a bit frantic at the moment.

Hopefully it's just teething and time will sort this out.

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
On the plus side, I am really liking Seibold as coach. If you watched some of our attacking plays last night you can see why the Bunnies are probably going to win the comp this year. At least we've got the future best in the business in that regard, we just need to hire Eddie Bravo as an assistant coach if the NRL isn't going to do anything about the ruck. Deadset, we need to just flat out hire a team of BJJ and wrestling experts because it's the most important aspect of the game atm.

We're buying into too many traps with the structure of our side. Milford and Niko are both individually good players, but they shouldn't be in the halves together. Our backrow is stacked, but that doesn't mean we have to play one at lock. Macca and Boyd are our most experienced players, but that shouldn't give them a monopoly on a position. We're going to have to make some moves that look difficult on their face (like dropping Glenn despite him playing really well, moving Niko to the bench for a rookie half back who we have plenty of, etc).

Last edited:
Dee

Dee

QCup Player
Apr 30, 2010
I'm not sure how all of you feel, but when I think about who is our true leader out there on the field, I honestly don't know who it is when I take a look. Is it Boyd? He talks alot, I can see that but it doesn't seem like the team listens to him consistently. At times, I can picture Gillett as our leader, a guy who hits hard, tackles hard and does his job to a T, but again, it's not consistent. We aren't a consistent team and when times get tough and we are under the pump, who is the guy to rally the troops and get us out of a mess? Last night was a perfect example. No game awareness or management what so ever. Going for the field goal with over a minute to go, not executing it and gifting the Dragons a 7 tackle set for them to win the game.

In the past, we had Lockyer to rally us and get us going, we had Langer, Webcke as a forwards leader leading by example, Thorn was professional and brutal, got the job done. Hodges, even though he was a tad dirty would absolutely HATE losing and want to single handedly win us games. I look at these blokes who play for us today and I honest to God don't see any leaders out there, I don't have anyone I truly believe in 100% week in week out to know when the chips are down and we are under the pump, "this" guy will rally us and will turn the tide for us and get us focused and mentally right again to mount a charge, he'll make the right decisions under fatigue and pressure to get us the W, he'll lead the troops and know exactly what to do in every situation etc. Unfortunately, we do not have that. What we have is exciting young off the cuff halves and a monster inconsistent young pack full of so much potential who can win us games here and there, but cannot and will not do it every single week.

Guys, until we unearth or develop a true leader within this team, we will not win any premierships. I'm happy to debate this and hear your views on this? Can anyone on here honestly tell me who our leader is? Who's the guy we turn to? I just see a bunch of young guys and a few older guys playing tough, sure, but when it gets REALLY REALLY tough, no one stands up or if they do stand up, it's for 1 or 2 weeks then it's back to giving up and being submissive while the opposition dominates our middles and goes on to win.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I'd agree we don't have many leaders in terms of a good captain to lead on the pitch.

Carrigan, and this is being said without my Patty tinted specs on, is probably the best leader we have at the club in terms of an on field skipper, but he isn't ready yet.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
What are your thoughts?

Unfortunately Boyd is wearing the "C". Seibold is in a rock and hard place to strip this off him straight away. Too many wholesale changes like that could literally split opinions in the team. There's a delicate balance to this

Steve-o

Steve-o

BRL Player
Aug 4, 2017
Outsider perspective... does the young and inexperienced excuse really hold weight? Last night’s 17 had 4 first or second year rookies, 7 state of origin reps, and 6 others. Seems like a good mix of youth and experience to me

O

ostin86

NRL Player
Jun 15, 2010
But the club does have a choice.

If he asks for big coin id be happy if the club let him walk and we spend that money on long term deals for flegler, oates and David fifita junior, and the pick of one of the young halves (deardon looks most likely) .

I love what TPJ brings but he is not consistent enough to warrant half of the momey he is rumoured to want. He didn't play bad last night but he has a target on him now and the way he has played when there's been pressure on him after a big performance I'm not sure he has the right mental game to be the hunted rather then the hunter. He didn't play poorly last night and shouldnt be expected to do it on his own but if you want the big bucks you need to play to a higher standard EVERY week, not once a month.

The media are looking for an enforcer, he is not it. An enforcer is someone who fights back when the chips are down, not just when things go their way. All week they were talking about him backing it up, last year the dragons pack owned him and crushed us in the finals, what more motivation does he need? As soon as things don't go his way he does stupid things (rushes out of the line to cost us a try, gives away a penalty). I like pangai and I hope he becomes what the media wants him to be but I can see him fast becoming a flat track bully and nothing more.
We don't need someone who will win us a game off their own back 3 times a year, we need a guy that when teams come to play us they Know they are in for a hard game (eg only Lodge currently, far more valuable to us).

I agree with pretty much everything you have said here.

In regards to TPJ's contract situation. You are right the club has a choice, I suppose I'm just not confident that the club will make the right choice. I do hope Im wrong.

E

Eta Carinae

QCup Player
Dec 3, 2018
**** me, why would he fight so hard to extend if that was the case. It's not like ANY of those decisions were made post him getting the tap.
No need to take umbrage. I said I could be wrong but I don't think so. I think Wayne figured it would be 1 or 2 years before the salary cap mess came back to bite the club.

E

Eta Carinae

QCup Player
Dec 3, 2018
They can't fool you. The moon landing, 911,port Arthur and WB seeing the future and booby trapping Seibolds universe.
Usually people can't fool me. Moon landing were a hoax. 9/11, not sure but I tend to believe the running dogs of imperialism let it happen but didn't do demolish the buildings themselves. Port Arthur? WTF are raving about? Yes, I get that impression. Boyd and Gillett should have been signed for 3 years with the last year an option in the clubs favor at most! Instead both got 4 years!!!! Booby trapped for the next coach. As I said to another poster, no need to be hysterical about it. I could be wrong but I don't think so.

E

Eta Carinae

QCup Player
Dec 3, 2018
The first two of these and possibly the third one as well could probably be resolved by positional changes. A lot of people want Niko to either bench or fullback, and I think everyone wants Gillett back on his edge and out of the middle ASAP. People's feelings on Boyd are also well documented lol.
I'm sure Seibold would move Niko....... if there was a better alternative. Gillett needs to go back to the edge but is he a better edge backrower than Fifita? At his best a few years ago, certainly. Not sure now. Is it just me or does he look rather smallish and not physical compared to the best opposition forwards? True about Boyd but I don't often see it mentioned he is on the books for this year and another 2 after that. Wayne looked after him well!

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Steady on guys. It's only the third game of Siebs' reign. The guys were obviously a bit flat from last week's huge effort and the short turnaround. They're all still learning new structures too and aside from those out for suspension we had a team out there that will win more than they lose.

I have a sneaking suspicion that if Lodgey gets an origin gernsey this year he may well blossom suddenly into the onfield leader we so desperately crave. The fact he has managed to stay off the pop and turn his life around speaks volumes to me. It masy not look it this morning, but the future of this club is rising at a rapid rate and things will only get better as the young uns gain experience.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Outsider perspective... does the young and inexperienced excuse really hold weight? Last night’s 17 had 4 first or second year rookies, 7 state of origin reps, and 6 others. Seems like a good mix of youth and experience to me

At present, the Broncs have ZERO Australian reps. Yes I'm aware that Gillett was a rep before his injury and Boyd was before retiring but the reality is, when was the last time a Broncs side was like this? The Broncs are supposed to be a top tier club and they do have a lot of young uns who look like they will be state and Aus mainstays for years to come but they aren't there yet.

In fact, the only guy in the current side who would be unlucky not to be in the Aussie side would be Oates (and probably Lodge), that says a lot.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
I'm not sure how all of you feel, but when I think about who is our true leader out there on the field, I honestly don't know who it is when I take a look. Is it Boyd? He talks alot, I can see that but it doesn't seem like the team listens to him consistently. At times, I can picture Gillett as our leader, a guy who hits hard, tackles hard and does his job to a T, but again, it's not consistent. We aren't a consistent team and when times get tough and we are under the pump, who is the guy to rally the troops and get us out of a mess? Last night was a perfect example. No game awareness or management what so ever. Going for the field goal with over a minute to go, not executing it and gifting the Dragons a 7 tackle set for them to win the game.

In the past, we had Lockyer to rally us and get us going, we had Langer, Webcke as a forwards leader leading by example, Thorn was professional and brutal, got the job done. Hodges, even though he was a tad dirty would absolutely HATE losing and want to single handedly win us games. I look at these blokes who play for us today and I honest to God don't see any leaders out there, I don't have anyone I truly believe in 100% week in week out to know when the chips are down and we are under the pump, "this" guy will rally us and will turn the tide for us and get us focused and mentally right again to mount a charge, he'll make the right decisions under fatigue and pressure to get us the W, he'll lead the troops and know exactly what to do in every situation etc. Unfortunately, we do not have that. What we have is exciting young off the cuff halves and a monster inconsistent young pack full of so much potential who can win us games here and there, but cannot and will not do it every single week.

Guys, until we unearth or develop a true leader within this team, we will not win any premierships. I'm happy to debate this and hear your views on this? Can anyone on here honestly tell me who our leader is? Who's the guy we turn to? I just see a bunch of young guys and a few older guys playing tough, sure, but when it gets REALLY REALLY tough, no one stands up or if they do stand up, it's for 1 or 2 weeks then it's back to giving up and being submissive while the opposition dominates our middles and goes on to win.

What are your thoughts?
I completely agree with what you have said there. But, I do think it's a big reason bird was bought and I can see him rediscovering his competitiveness again. He will never be a captain but I can definitely see that hodges like mongrel-lead from front spirit in him.
I also see lodge growing into this role a lot.
It's the way it is when your you have a younger team and they are so talented you need to spend all your cap on them to keep the vultures away. Seibold was right in his press conference, they believed their own hype and the nrl has a way of taking you down a peg very quickly when you do that.
On another note, what is going on with dearden, I'm grasping at straws here and he wouldn't be ready yet but ffs we need some pressure on nikorima. Milford was terrible in defence but his kicking game nearly won us the game, was very impressive. Seibold needs to tell him he can put his fucking shoulder into the tackle, otherwise the medical staff wouldn't have fucking cleared him to play (sorry for the swearing but it pissed me off last night)

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Skyblues87
  • theshed
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosAlways
  • davidp
  • Midean
  • maddo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Behold
  • HarryAllan7
  • Sproj
  • Santa
  • Ondi
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.