Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Steady on guys. It's only the third game of Siebs' reign. The guys were obviously a bit flat from last week's huge effort and the short turnaround. They're all still learning new structures too and aside from those out for suspension we had a team out there that will win more than they lose.

I have a sneaking suspicion that if Lodgey gets an origin gernsey this year he may well blossom suddenly into the onfield leader we so desperately crave. The fact he has managed to stay off the pop and turn his life around speaks volumes to me. It masy not look it this morning, but the future of this club is rising at a rapid rate and things will only get better as the young uns gain experience.

Absolutely correct. This is a side for the future, anything they get now is a bonus. They are still likely one to two years away from being the elite of the comp that they look like they will become.

What are your thoughts?

I agree that we are lacking leadership out on the field. I think there is at least some potential for the younger forwards to grow into leaders. Surely at least one out of Lodge, Sua, Ofa and Fifita, will stand up. I think if Bird plays himself into good consistent form he could take some ownership of the team as well.

I agree that we will struggle to win a premiership with the leadership in its current state, but I have optimism that this year could be a year in which a strong leader emerges.

I completely agree with what you have said there. But, I do think it's a big reason bird was bought and I can see him rediscovering his competitiveness again. He will never be a captain but I can definitely see that hodges like mongrel-lead from front spirit in him.
I also see lodge growing into this role a lot.
It's the way it is when your you have a younger team and they are so talented you need to spend all your cap on them to keep the vultures away. Seibold was right in his press conference, they believed their own hype and the nrl has a way of taking you down a peg very quickly when you do that.
On another note, what is going on with dearden, I'm grasping at straws here and he wouldn't be ready yet but ffs we need some pressure on nikorima. Milford was terrible in defence but his kicking game nearly won us the game, was very impressive. Seibold needs to tell him he can put his fucking shoulder into the tackle, otherwise the medical staff wouldn't have fucking cleared him to play (sorry for the swearing but it pissed me off last night)

I agree with you about Bird, he has so much potential to be a leader. I can see the mongrel in him, we need that, we need someone to stand up when the chips are down and take charge. I don't care who it is but we just need someone!

I believe if we had that leader, we would of won last nights game, as bad as we were.

Now that I’ve had time to think about it, I’m glad we didn’t jag a win as it would paper over the obvious issues we had last night.

Steady on guys. It's only the third game of Siebs' reign. The guys were obviously a bit flat from last week's huge effort and the short turnaround. They're all still learning new structures too and aside from those out for suspension we had a team out there that will win more than they lose.

I have a sneaking suspicion that if Lodgey gets an origin gernsey this year he may well blossom suddenly into the onfield leader we so desperately crave. The fact he has managed to stay off the pop and turn his life around speaks volumes to me. It masy not look it this morning, but the future of this club is rising at a rapid rate and things will only get better as the young uns gain experience.

I think this is pretty much on the money. The new structures do require adjustment and didn't Milf on a number of occasions gesture behind his back to his supports to run this way or that? Everyone is still learning, so the impact of the new game plan can't be underestimated.

My only quibble with Seibold's plan is Gillett at lock. He is an edge forward in the same way that Cordner is not a prop and his skills are therefore being wasted in the middle.

As for last night, what irritated me the most was, as Seibold said in the presser - not getting the little things right, like, holding onto the ball, especially when you're about to score.

The big issue I see as still remaining unresolved since Locky and Hodges retired is leadership in the middle, someone to pull the team into shape when the going gets tough, so that the the tough will get going. For mine, the leadership question really needs to get sorted out soon.

No. It's a shit excuse.
Perhaps most of us are overreacting. Lost to our bogey team. Gave the much hyped Cowboys a good ol fashioned belting and narrowly lost to a team which will likely be right up there at the business end of the season. Next week will be tough but if we lose that game and then to the Tigers, it may be time to panic.

if the NRL isn't going to do anything about the ruck. Deadset, we need to just flat out hire a team of BJJ and wrestling experts because it's the most important aspect of the game atm.

Honestly couldn't agree more and said it myself in a post earlier. We are up there amongst the worst wrestling team in the game. We let opp teams play the ball like it's 2015 Broncos v Cows where both teams are playing without wrestle.

We get slowed down every single play the ball, which hinders Macca and out forwards. On the flip side, we rarely keep pressure applied on the defensive side of things because our line is running backwards as they are playing the ball.

Refs putting the whistle away is going to and has been hurting us the most and will benefit heavy wrestlings sides the most.

Still not a complete excuse for our forwards bending over last night but it doesn't help. Us allowing quick play the balls all the time also has Niko and Milf making many more 1 on 1 tackles than they should be making because the protection isn't there.

Alright, well after someone else doing a fantastic job of the player ratings last week, you'll just have to put up with mine:

1. Boyd - Is he the captain? How does he fall for a dummy again? In fairness, he did do a lot of good though. He is improving in attack but his defense is still rubbish and I am so sick of him defending in the line, especially when the opposition is in the red zone. 6
2. Oates - He did that terrible drop but he also looked about the only guy who was capable of turning the game. He is starting to become more consistent and I think having Bird at centre is really helping his game. His kick returns are so valuable as well, love this guy, he just seems to have a knack for the try line. 7
3. Roberts - Yes, he scored that fantastic interceptish try but he was rubbish outside of that. He looks injured and with Staggs being a more than capable back up, I'd rest Roberts for a couple of weeks. Short-term pain for hopefully long-term gain. He is a weapon due to his speed and agility, and because of injury, that weapon is severely blunted. 4
4. Bird - I am as happy as anyone to have egg on my face with this guy. I have been criticising his signing relentlessly but he has started the season extremely well. The left edge had some defensive issues last night and it happens but overall, he has been very good thus far, probably in the top three players for the season thus far. 7
5. Isaako - What a nightmare for the poor kid. He was probably concussed and it showed in everything he did thereafter. He dropped the match with that try bombing and then drifted the drop goal shot right when it needed to go left. That said, he got a shocking pass out of dummy half resulting in him rushing the kick, not his fault. He was caught out in defense a number of times and just had an absolute shocker. His kicking boot seems to have been lost somewhere as well. 2
6. Milford - I thought he looked switched on. All this talk of not having a halfback, well we do, it just happens to be that he is wearing the 6 and not the 7. Milf had a massively disrupted preseason and it will take him time to get back and beyond his best but the signs last night were encouraging. Defensively he wasn't great but he looked pretty dangerous and noticeably faster in attack. Not great but by no means horrible either. 6
7. KNik - Look, I'm biased when it comes to Kodi. I thought that he was actually pretty good and has been all three games so far. Yes, he put the ball out on the full and that cannot be excused but he also looks threatening all the time, even more so than Milford. He keeps popping through the line, taking the line on, throwing nice passes and has a decent short-kicking game. Unfortunately, his long kicking is worse than most forwards. The problem is that he is too off the cuff and a lot of players don't seem to know whether to run, chase or hold. 6
8. TPJ - So much talk of him not trying and that is a load of rubbish. He tried too hard, plain and simple. He was putting in big shots but they weren't coming off and he was doing a lot of dodgy cannon ballesque shots to try to ruffle the Dragons feathers but it didn't really work. He made a massive blunder with K.Sims' try but that was a very impressive run from Korbin, he was running very hard and straight with no thought of self-preservation, TPJ chose the wrong run to try that out of the line smashing tactic. Other than that, TPJ looked a threat every run and how good was that step at pace?? Most backs would be proud of being able to do that. 7
9. Macca - Goodness me, what do you do here? He is good enough to be the hooker but not for 80 minutes. Staggs is the ideal utility but Macca needs help from the bench. I don't know what to do with this, well I do, I just don't think it would be a popular idea - put Turpin on the bench. I don't care how Turpin looks in reserve grade, he has looked great every time he has been in the first team, give him a shot from the bench, he could provide some real impact. Macca is solid but last night really highlighted the key issue with him for me, he has almost no game awareness and like Hunt, seems to capitulate under pressure. 4
10. Joffa - I have no idea what his stats would say from last night but he is the ideal lock for this side. With Lodge back next week, the Gillett experiment should end and Joffa should be at 13. He has a big motor, is mobile and every time he has played at 13 in the past, he has nailed it. At the moment, he isn't really standing out for any reason, good or bad. 6
11. Glenn - He was better this week than weeks 1 and 2 but I don't think he has done enough to hold down a starting spot. I'd have him on the bench ahead of Su'A at this point in time. We all know Glenn is criminally underrated but I think he should be a victim of circumstance. Gillett is an Australian backrower (he was before he got injured anyway) and is easily the better player of the two. You could make an argument to start Glenn over Fifita but I don't buy it. I think Fifita is growing into his role and is a star at present and superstar in the making, he needs a starting spot and I like him on the right. Glenn can be very good from the bench as he has shown in the past. 7
12. Fifita - I love this kid, so much talent and already seems to be able to step up when the going gets tough, not overawed at all. He is fast, strong, super fit and agile. He is going to be next level very quickly you would imagine. He didn't necessarily have all that many stand out moments last night but he had enough sustained impact to be just so excited about him. I'd argue he is the most promising of this outstanding crop of kids. 7
13. Gillett - He hasn't been horrible at 13 but it just simply isn't his position. He tackles himself to a standstill but offers so little in attack. In an age of JT2s and Arrows, he just isn't the right fit for the role. He needs to return to an edge like he did late last night. That is where he wants to be and that is where he should be. This should be Joffa's place. 5

14. Staggs - I thought he looked really good when he came on and has a nice knack for getting in good positions in attack and has a good offload / pass in him (bad one too at present). Yes, there are defensive question marks about him but I'd have him play centre for a couple of weeks to let Roberts recover from whatever ails him. Not enough game time. 4
15. Su'A - He did some better things last night after a pretty mediocre first two weeks but just not sure he suits the balance of this team at present. I'd leave him out from next week for Carrigan or Haas (when he returns). Put him in the kid rotation with Flegler/Carrigan throughout the season. 5
16. Flegler - Welcome back to Earth, son. He was brilliant in weeks one and two but last night, well you all saw it. This will happen with young kids. He made two pretty embarrassing drops but there were a couple of things I liked out of that. He still put his hand up to have another go, he didn't go into his shell and when he came on to the field, the team absolutely received a lift. He straightened the attack, ran hard and tackled hard. He is an ideal bench prop at present. Last night was a steep but good learning curve for this kid. I absolutely love what he offers, I'd have him ahead of Haas right now, I rate him that much even though last night wasn't great. 4
17. Fensom - Was he on the field? All I remember is him getting snapped in half by a Sims' sandwich, at least I think it was him. I just do not see what his ten minutes of game time is actually gaining. We know he is a serviceable back up but why not give that ten minutes to Carrigan? Carrigan has much more upside than Fensom and could have provided far more attacking impetus than Shaun has been doing. Fensom won't let anyone down but he also won't win a game for you either. 4

Enough of this rubbish about NASA and hoaxes, etc. This is a match review thread. STOP IT!

Outsider perspective... does the young and inexperienced excuse really hold weight? Last night’s 17 had 4 first or second year rookies, 7 state of origin reps, and 6 others. Seems like a good mix of youth and experience to me
It is a good mix, except we lack leadership and organisation. That is clear as day to me.
Of course, those still trying to excuse the obvious, will use the youth's inexperience.

Of course, taking a 40 meters field goal shot with tackles in hand and 1 minute to go is incredibly stupid (although some think it was the right move, LOL), because not only did they make a meal of it, they handed the opposition a 7 tackle set with enough time to finish us off, we gave them all the room to do it, when we KNEW they were going to take the shot.

While you can talk about inexperience and misplaced enthusiasm for individual moments of Flegler or TPJ, the inexperience doesn't fly here. Boyd, Macca, Milf and even Kodi are experienced enough to know this, but either their collective footy intelligence is nil, or they have no influence on the rest of the team.

I'm hoping they were joking. Please tell me you are joking eta? Also, not to get too off topic, but can I request that if there are any flat earthers or anti vaxers on here can they be clearly identifiable to everyone else so we can all proceed to not take anything they say seriously...
While that is an excellent (albeit scary) idea, it's not a discussion for this thread's topic, which has plenty of conspiracy opportunities by itself...

Alright, well after someone else doing a fantastic job of the player ratings last week, you'll just have to put up with mine:

1. Boyd - Is he the captain? How does he fall for a dummy again? In fairness, he did do a lot of good though. He is improving in attack but his defense is still rubbish and I am so sick of him defending in the line, especially when the opposition is in the red zone. 6
2. Oates - He did that terrible drop but he also looked about the only guy who was capable of turning the game. He is starting to become more consistent and I think having Bird at centre is really helping his game. His kick returns are so valuable as well, love this guy, he just seems to have a knack for the try line. 7
3. Roberts - Yes, he scored that fantastic interceptish try but he was rubbish outside of that. He looks injured and with Staggs being a more than capable back up, I'd rest Roberts for a couple of weeks. Short-term pain for hopefully long-term gain. He is a weapon due to his speed and agility, and because of injury, that weapon is severely blunted. 4
4. Bird - I am as happy as anyone to have egg on my face with this guy. I have been criticising his signing relentlessly but he has started the season extremely well. The left edge had some defensive issues last night and it happens but overall, he has been very good thus far, probably in the top three players for the season thus far. 7
5. Isaako - What a nightmare for the poor kid. He was probably concussed and it showed in everything he did thereafter. He dropped the match with that try bombing and then drifted the drop goal shot right when it needed to go left. That said, he got a shocking pass out of dummy half resulting in him rushing the kick, not his fault. He was caught out in defense a number of times and just had an absolute shocker. His kicking boot seems to have been lost somewhere as well. 2
6. Milford - I thought he looked switched on. All this talk of not having a halfback, well we do, it just happens to be that he is wearing the 6 and not the 7. Milf had a massively disrupted preseason and it will take him time to get back and beyond his best but the signs last night were encouraging. Defensively he wasn't great but he looked pretty dangerous and noticeably faster in attack. Not great but by no means horrible either. 6
7. KNik - Look, I'm biased when it comes to Kodi. I thought that he was actually pretty good and has been all three games so far. Yes, he put the ball out on the full and that cannot be excused but he also looks threatening all the time, even more so than Milford. He keeps popping through the line, taking the line on, throwing nice passes and has a decent short-kicking game. Unfortunately, his long kicking is worse than most forwards. The problem is that he is too off the cuff and a lot of players don't seem to know whether to run, chase or hold. 6
8. TPJ - So much talk of him not trying and that is a load of rubbish. He tried too hard, plain and simple. He was putting in big shots but they weren't coming off and he was doing a lot of dodgy cannon ballesque shots to try to ruffle the Dragons feathers but it didn't really work. He made a massive blunder with K.Sims' try but that was a very impressive run from Korbin, he was running very hard and straight with no thought of self-preservation, TPJ chose the wrong run to try that out of the line smashing tactic. Other than that, TPJ looked a threat every run and how good was that step at pace?? Most backs would be proud of being able to do that. 7
9. Macca - Goodness me, what do you do here? He is good enough to be the hooker but not for 80 minutes. Staggs is the ideal utility but Macca needs help from the bench. I don't know what to do with this, well I do, I just don't think it would be a popular idea - put Turpin on the bench. I don't care how Turpin looks in reserve grade, he has looked great every time he has been in the first team, give him a shot from the bench, he could provide some real impact. Macca is solid but last night really highlighted the key issue with him for me, he has almost no game awareness and like Hunt, seems to capitulate under pressure. 4
10. Joffa - I have no idea what his stats would say from last night but he is the ideal lock for this side. With Lodge back next week, the Gillett experiment should end and Joffa should be at 13. He has a big motor, is mobile and every time he has played at 13 in the past, he has nailed it. At the moment, he isn't really standing out for any reason, good or bad. 6
11. Glenn - He was better this week than weeks 1 and 2 but I don't think he has done enough to hold down a starting spot. I'd have him on the bench ahead of Su'A at this point in time. We all know Glenn is criminally underrated but I think he should be a victim of circumstance. Gillett is an Australian backrower (he was before he got injured anyway) and is easily the better player of the two. You could make an argument to start Glenn over Fifita but I don't buy it. I think Fifita is growing into his role and is a star at present and superstar in the making, he needs a starting spot and I like him on the right. Glenn can be very good from the bench as he has shown in the past. 7
12. Fifita - I love this kid, so much talent and already seems to be able to step up when the going gets tough, not overawed at all. He is fast, strong, super fit and agile. He is going to be next level very quickly you would imagine. He didn't necessarily have all that many stand out moments last night but he had enough sustained impact to be just so excited about him. I'd argue he is the most promising of this outstanding crop of kids. 7
13. Gillett - He hasn't been horrible at 13 but it just simply isn't his position. He tackles himself to a standstill but offers so little in attack. In an age of JT2s and Arrows, he just isn't the right fit for the role. He needs to return to an edge like he did late last night. That is where he wants to be and that is where he should be. This should be Joffa's place. 5

14. Staggs - I thought he looked really good when he came on and has a nice knack for getting in good positions in attack and has a good offload / pass in him (bad one too at present). Yes, there are defensive question marks about him but I'd have him play centre for a couple of weeks to let Roberts recover from whatever ails him. Not enough game time. 4
15. Su'A - He did some better things last night after a pretty mediocre first two weeks but just not sure he suits the balance of this team at present. I'd leave him out from next week for Carrigan or Haas (when he returns). Put him in the kid rotation with Flegler/Carrigan throughout the season. 5
16. Flegler - Welcome back to Earth, son. He was brilliant in weeks one and two but last night, well you all saw it. This will happen with young kids. He made two pretty embarrassing drops but there were a couple of things I liked out of that. He still put his hand up to have another go, he didn't go into his shell and when he came on to the field, the team absolutely received a lift. He straightened the attack, ran hard and tackled hard. He is an ideal bench prop at present. Last night was a steep but good learning curve for this kid. I absolutely love what he offers, I'd have him ahead of Haas right now, I rate him that much even though last night wasn't great. 4
17. Fensom - Was he on the field? All I remember is him getting snapped in half by a Sims' sandwich, at least I think it was him. I just do not see what his ten minutes of game time is actually gaining. We know he is a serviceable back up but why not give that ten minutes to Carrigan? Carrigan has much more upside than Fensom and could have provided far more attacking impetus than Shaun has been doing. Fensom won't let anyone down but he also won't win a game for you either. 4
How does a team that played like busted last night, gets a majority of 7, including Kodi and Boyd getting a 6!
Seriously, I think describing it as bias is an understatement.

"Boot Macca!!" "Get Rid of Niko!!"

...or you know we could hold on to the GODDAM ball.

I'd be more concerned if I was St George than if I was Brisbane, to only win by 1 point against a 69% possession team.

Very impressed about how we have stayed in the contest in both our losing games, all we need to do now is start making the big plays in the big moments and both of those L's become W's.

Last edited:
So much to say, but it's really all been said, so just 2 short comments

1 - Despite the handling errors, we still win if we have a cool calm and composed genuine leader of men out there wearing the (c)

2 - A lot of us were confounded by WB's seeming inability to make obvious team changes (mainly spine positions) and looked forward to 2019 when AS would no doubt make those blatantly obvious changes, but here we are with a new coach and still the same spine. Why is AS not making the changes? Is it possible that the 1, 7 and 9 aren't as bad as many of us think?

Before the game, McGregor outlined his strategy on how he was going to beat the Broncos. The Dragons were going to target the edges and put the halves under serious pressure. I thought it was coy of the coach, but it's fair to say he was able to get his men to back it up. The Dragons made short work of the Broncos down both edges and were seemingly able to break the line open at will, 7 line-breaks in the opening half alone.

It was remarkable that the Broncos found themselves in positions to win that contest. For the majority of the game, the Dragons looked to be running away with the contest only for the tide to turn. It was actually remarkable that in the 60th minute, it appeared the Broncos were going to finish well on top, only for Isaako to drop it over the line. That proved a huge turning point in the game, as not long after, Ofahengaue misses a tackle which forces McCullough and Gillett to double up and Lafai to find his front. Dragons win the penalty and within moments they're over the line through Korbin Sims who once again proved himself the streakiest player in the competition. Three penalties, a costly error, but also a few try-saving tackles and a timely try.

From there, it seemed like the Dragons were going to go on with it, but then what can only be described as the worst two minutes of Widdop's illustrious career brought Brisbane up with it. Firstly he gives away a dumb penalty while in possession, then his body gives out on him and he not only suffers a serious injury but also happens to hand Brisbane a try.

I thought the set-up for the field goal was fine. It was tackle three, if Brisbane took two more hit-ups, they'd be on the Dragons try-line and the Dragons defence would have had a greater opportunity to rush up and put pressure on the kicker. The pass from McCullough wasn't great, but Isaako still struck the ball well from 30m out, it just missed.

Once again, I thought it was the Broncos defence that let them down. Norman was always going to get an opportunity to win the game coming off a 7-tackle restart, but that effort on Graham by Gillett and Ofahengaue made sure the Dragons had all the momentum and ensured Norman was going to get all the time in the world to pilot it over. He made the most of it and capped off one of his better performances at Suncorp.

Two moments that deserve more attention:

77th minute Milford makes a break deep inside the Dragons territory and links up with Gillett on the right edge who has Jimmy on his outside. Instead of trying to draw the winger, Gillett gives the ball straight away to Jimmy who is easily tackled by the sliding winger. Had Gillett run harder, it would have been a golden opportunity for the Jet down the touchline.

Earlier in the 19th minute, Pangai Jr forces Hunt to make a legs tackle a few metres out from the line. Pangai Jr gets a quick play the ball and creates space behind the ruck. Instead of looking to extend his arms, Glenn tucks the ball into his body and falls just short of the line. Then to compound the mistake, Glenn makes an error in the play the ball halting the Broncos momentum.

Two moments that deserve more attention:

77th minute Milford makes a break deep inside the Dragons territory and links up with Gillett on the right edge who has Jimmy on his outside. Instead of trying to draw the winger, Gillett gives the ball straight away to Jimmy who is easily tackled by the sliding winger. Had Gillett run harder, it would have been a golden opportunity for the Jet down the touchline.

Earlier in the 19th minute, Pangai Jr forces Hunt to make a legs tackle a few metres out from the line. Pangai Jr gets a quick play the ball and creates space behind the ruck. Instead of looking to extend his arms, Glenn tucks the ball into his body and falls just short of the line. Then to compound the mistake, Glenn makes an error in the play the ball halting the Broncos momentum.

It’s that mentality of just give it to Roberts early and he’ll do the rest that the broncos seem to believe in too much. What Roberts needs are gaps to run lines into. Do that enough and he’ll either score more tries or at least become a nice decoy option as well.

"Boot Macca!!" "Get Rid of Niko!!"

...or you know we could hold on to the GODDAM ball.

I'd be more concerned if I was St George than if I was Brisbane, to only win by 1 point against a 69% possession team.

Very impressed about how we have stayed in the contest in both our losing games, all we need to do now is start making the big plays in the big moments and both of those L's become W's.

I'm still backing them for the bottom 4 considering Widdop is apparently out for the season unless the Drags pull a Sharks.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • sooticus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.