Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Friend isn't going anywhere, uncle Nick loves him. Even if he was, I'm not sure he's the player we need.

We had no ball.....and were on the back foot..... the entire game.

True. No argument there. Separate to being screwed by the ref, which we were, we were also too busy giving them the ball back and letting them score try after try.

Nevertheless, from what I saw of our, errr, attack, I stand by my comments and of course, the proof of this pudding will be next week and after. All I am doing is flagging my concerns about Turpin, and to a lesser extent, Milf. They showed bugger all running game in their roles as key playmakers.

Last edited:
When you are on the back foot, you pretty much need something to swing the momentum around. Someone like Hodges in the past, Roberts when he was at his best...2015 version of Milford. It's why I'm thinking Fifita and to a lesser extent TPJ are so friggin important, we don't really have anywhere near as much to offer in attack if the defence isn't worrying about those 2. I'd argue Fifita is more important than Milford or anyone in our current spine.

According to NRL.com, McInnes made 75 tackles against the Warriors today.

This is another product of the increased speed of the game, we may see some records broken in terms of tackle counts.

Right on queue, 71 tackles from Randall today to break the record for most tackles by someone on debut, beating the previous record by 21.

In short I just reckon the Eels looked just much fitter than us, sharper than us and wanted it more than us from the get go which is disappointing considering last years semi. We looked like the team that flew up on the morning of the game.

We can blame the refs all we want but than you’re just enabling and making excuses for this team. Granted it is still a young team but some of these guys now have played a decent amount of first grade to at least be competitive for 80 mins. The reason we were so badly exposed is because the last couple of years, we have been a team where when the opposing teams have the momentum, we struggle to swing the game back in our favour. That could be because we still lack a forward leader who can change a momentum swing with their physicality in defense. TPJ could be that guy for us if we could grow a brain and stay on the field. We still haven’t learnt how to absorb pressure and swing momentum and this new rule has badly exposed that. If we don’t get it right and soon, this will not be a one off.

Also after watching 5 games I am a huge fan of the new rule, even though we were on the wrong end of it Thursday and that’s because we didn’t handle the Occassion well at all. This new rule seems to have eliminated 90% of the wrestle and the games have a better flow to it and we are seeing more attacking footy without diminishing the collisions and physicality. I think the product has been outstanding considering we have had a 2+ month lay off. Still need to see a bigger sample size but so far so good.

The real negative though is there are going to be more blow outs than ever before as we now don’t have the refs manipulating games and giving out square up penalties to even out games. At least the better teams should be the ones who win the games.
Wow. I'm so the opposite on the new rule. Sure the wrestling may have died back a bit but ffs the refs have been given free reign to do as they want without penalties showing up their bias. Now they can simply mention 6 again whenever they feel like without justification. A wrong decision can't be questioned because the play has already moved on, the commentators at the game watching don't have a clue what the six again is for because once again they're already looking at the next tackle or play, the viewer has no clue either and there's no replay because there's no break in play.

It's garbage and perfect for the refs to orchestrate a result. No one is questioning the refs about it. At least when a penalty was blown we get to see what it was for and it exposes the refs decisions. It was accountability and **** me, that's gone.

Wow. I'm so the opposite on the new rule. Sure the wrestling may have died back a bit but ffs the refs have been given free reign to do as they want without penalties showing up their bias. Now they can simply mention 6 again whenever they feel like without justification. A wrong decision can't be questioned because the play has already moved on, the commentators at the game watching don't have a clue what the six again is for because once again they're already looking at the next tackle or play, the viewer has no clue either and there's no replay because there's no break in play.

It's garbage and perfect for the refs to orchestrate a result. No one is questioning the refs about it. At least when a penalty was blown we get to see what it was for and it exposes the refs decisions. It was accountability and **** me, that's gone.

What I can’t understand is how having 1 ref has sped the game up at all other than the fact that it has now given the refs an excuse for any shit calls they make.

It’s definitely not without its flaws and there always pros and cons to each set of rules. Like I said it is still a small sample size so my opinion may still sway but I’m happy with the six again rule provided it is applied correctly and not just abused for the sake of it.

It sure as **** beats watching 2 guys in a tackle twist guys on the ground and spend an eternity in the ruck wrestling, slowing down the play the ball. It has created a faster game and has brought the fatigue element into the game that reduced interchange was suppose to do. It definitely pegged the Storm back a couple of notches no surprises there.

Yep 10M has now been forgotten, its too fast for one ref to manage.

I think the first step might be to not allow 'stacking' of 6 again, so the ref should be able to call 6 again once, the next one in the set has to be a penalty.

Or for fark sake just award the penalty and actually allow the team to take a quick tap.

Last edited:
It’s definitely not without its flaws and there always pros and cons to each set of rules. Like I said it is still a small sample size so my opinion may still sway but I’m happy with the six again rule provided it is applied correctly and not just abused for the sake of it.

It sure as **** beats watching 2 guys in a tackle twist guys on the ground and spend an eternity in the ruck wrestling, slowing down the play the ball. It has created a faster game and has brought the fatigue element into the game that reduced interchange was suppose to do. It definitely pegged the Storm back a couple of notches no surprises there.
But they could have just blown the penalties against teams like Melbourne who built entire game plans around manipulating players necks in tackles to slow the play down... I think the big reasoning behind the 6 again calls are designed around deliberate goal line infringements but it also gives the refs a great tool to ‘even things up’ when they see fit. And as Huge pointed out there was accountability in the refs decisions, but now it’s as easy as calling 6 again!
[automerge]1590925988[/automerge]
Yep don’t worry about the rules, as long as the games faster no one will care.
I thought the game was fast enough already...

Last edited:
But they could have just blown the penalties against teams like Melbourne who built entire game plans around manipulating players necks in tackles to slow the play down... I think the big reasoning behind the 6 again calls are designed around deliberate goal line infringements but it also gives the refs a great tool to ‘even things up’ when they see fit. And as Huge pointed out there was accountability in the refs decisions, but now it’s as easy as calling 6 again!
[automerge]1590925988[/automerge]

I thought the game was fast enough too but apparently it wasn’t for some people

When you are on the back foot, you pretty much need something to swing the momentum around. Someone like Hodges in the past, Roberts when he was at his best...2015 version of Milford. It's why I'm thinking Fifita and to a lesser extent TPJ are so friggin important, we don't really have anywhere near as much to offer in attack if the defence isn't worrying about those 2. I'd argue Fifita is more important than Milford or anyone in our current spine.
Fifita....has shown he can turn nothing into something. Milford can do the same. Fifita is getting the brownie points in his 1st year, much the way Milford did. Opposition teams will start to number up on him....like they've done to Milford.

It's then we see the difference between very good and greatness.

I suspect Fifita will handle it better than Milford has because he has size and strength, as well as speed and agility.
[automerge]1590933277[/automerge]

Agreed.......I don't know why they thought they had to **** with the game to speed it up. All weekend I heard the commentators say how great the new 6 again rule is. A lot of comments on here agree.

I think it's fucked......and is just another tool for these dumb arse officials to misuse and get wrong.

Last edited:

Yep, it’s just one step closer to the WWE and the scripted storylines. Now not only can the NRL decide who wins it each year with ease they can write a storyline each round based on what they think viewer’s want to see the most.

it’s disgraceful.

Yep 10M has now been forgotten, its too fast for one ref to manage.

I think the first step might be to not allow 'stacking' of 6 again, so the ref should be able to call 6 again once, the next one in the set has to be a penalty.

Or for fark sake just award the penalty and actually allow the team to take a quick tap.

Honestly it shows you how fucked the NRL are V’landys as well. I have been a big supporter of him in how he got the game back but he has fucked up here. The refs couldn’t get it right with 2 of them so he takes it day to 1 thinking things will improve? Sure, I mean I know at work whenever someone is struggling with their workload doubling it always improves results.

It definitely pegged the Storm back a couple of notches no surprises there.

The Storm lost because of their attack. Once they endured a few resets, the ref stopped policing the ruck and they were all over Canberra in the tackle. It was kinda gross and trademark Storm.

Active Now

• Lostboy
  • Xzei
  • Fitzy
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.