POST GAME Round 3 - Storm vs Broncos

Not confirmed @broncosgoat but he should miss the game which makes tonight's loss even harder to swallow.

@Super Freak could be right, but based on what I saw live if it looks like a shoulder charge it's bound to be charged as one. It's an automatic 200 point penalty, even if he pleads guilty it's 150 points, so he'll miss a week, have carry-over points and a prior on his record.

The most disappointing aspect of tonight's loss was that the boys were robbed of a key moment. It's late in the game and Milford (or was it Marshall?) came up with a tremendous kick that had Melbourne pinned inside their 20. Brisbane had done a Melbourne on Melbourne and were looking to make a statement. Electric Storm winger Suliasi Vunivalu uses his speed and elusiveness to try and help the Storm out of their end only to be met with a devastating hit by Korbin Sims. It was a fantastic tackle and you could see how much it inspired the boys, only for the referee to rob Brisbane of that moment with a terrible decision.

I didn't have the sound on, what was Sims penalised for?

Watch it again the penalty was correct... Korbin belted him which was fine but then he proceeded to facial him with his forearm twice.

It was great play that was ruined by a brain explosion... something we weren't short of

So you mean exactly what the Storm do in every tackle? Or do you have to twist wrists and legs at the same time to cancel it out? Sorry I'm unsure of the exact rule.

We dropped the ball about 17 times. Nothing to do with the refs. Shits me when all our supporters always blame the refs. Nothing but ourselves to blame. The chambers try was a try that every man and his dog has said was a terrible call. It comes in swings and roundabouts.

As someone who has been known to troll the odd opposition forum in my impressionable youth, can I give you a quick hint?

It always comes across as a lot more convincing if you don't join to troll for the first time on game day. Make the effort to jump on there at least the week before and even make a few posts complimenting the team in question early in the week. That way when you are rolling out the "That Chambers no try has been said to be a terrible call by everyone" (even though that has never been a try and pretty much everyone outside the storm can see that, even the commentators that hate the broncos the most) it does seem a little more creditable.

You guys play the tigers next week which I am confident you will win, so it would be a good idea to create an account on there now and roll out a few "Man I love Woodsy" and
"Predicting a big game from Mitch" posts.

I got the impression, we're beating ourselves as much as anyone else. We had them by 4. We had a great set that got them down that end. What do we do. Pass a face ball to maguire. He knocks on.
When your leading by 4 with less than 5 left, thats the time the spine should take control. Everyone else is there to hit gaps, no more. Plan for repeat sets or static set re-starts ie. kick for touch and play for defensive sets in your opponents half. Simple.

This was the most disappointing play of the game for mine. The previous tackle, Hunt took the line on and was tackled on the right side which opened up the whole left to attack. Milford needed to put his hand up and push in to first receiver, but left Macca and Moose high and dry.
It was disappointing to watch him not take control - again.

When we got the penalty from 40 out. Does anyone think we should have taken the two? It was in front so it wasn't a difficult kick.

1. Boyd - He was great as always and although he kept getting read in attack, at least he didn't drop the ball when smashed - 8
2. Oates - He was so good, good runs, amazing tackling, broke a key player's jaw and dropped a ball - 8
3. Roberts - He is clearly injured and it may not have shown on TV but he was trying his butt off out there, I was very impressed live - 7
4. Moga - He was doing all sorts of illegal stuff and mostly getting away with it, loved his illegal shot on Slater, some good runs in attack, solid but not spectacular - 6
5. Kahu - He is so reliable and wasn't given much opportunity with the ball but solid as a rock with his reads in defense, can't blame him for that final trims fluke - 7
6. Milford - Got smashed by great defense early, dropped the ball every second touch, went missing and looks disinterested, he is very worrying, EASILY the worst player out there - 3
7. Hunt - He was bad in the first half but really good in the second, such a shame he's leaving because unlike Milford, you can never question his effort or love for the club - 7
8. Sims - He was good at a lot of the little things, he tackled hard and really tried to make some big runs but hard to capitalise when you are being held down or copping second efforts in tackles, his final drop was a case of why was a prop getting the ball in the last 30 seconds of a game anyway moment, needed to take more runs - 6
9. McCullough - He played really well in defense as always but I can't help but feel some of his passing once again led to break downs in play and watching live from the sideline, he seemed to be taking the wrong option a lot, running when we had overlaps, kicking at weird moments, passing to the wrong player including a guy walking back inside? What the heck happened there? - 7
10. Blair - He needed to step up more because he is one of our fittest forwards, he dropped a ball and gave away a penalty or two as he usually does, solid in defense and got the kicker every single time but needed more runs - 6
11. Thaiday - He has been inspirational this season, such a gem so far and yes he got penalised for third man in (well deserved third man in I might add as the refereeing was just disgraceful in that second half) but I love to see a guy willing to back up his teammate no matter what - 8
12. Gillett - Tried so hard in a massive performance, great defense as always and saved some tries - 8
13. McGuire - I just dont think it's working yet, yes he made big metres and yes he made a lot of tackles but he doesn't look to offload and at times ran when passing was needed, guilty of dropping the ball too, jury's out but let's hope it works out - 7

14. Glenn - He didn't seem to do much live but I could be wrong, at least he wasn't repeatedly getting smashed this week - 5
16. Ese'ese - He backed up a best ever performance with a pretty good effort in this game, he is a weapon off the bench and runs fast and aggressively, he stands in every tackle so I really want to see more offloading - 8
17. Arrow - I didn't even notice him, not sure if he did anything at all but even if he did try to do his usual defensive work, he would have been penalised anyway by those idiot refs - 5
18. Marshall - He looked clueless and wasn't on for long, at the game, it was clear he kept instinctively going to first receiver and getting in the way of Hunt, it was very noticeable and I'm not sure what he offers moving forward - 4

9. McCullough - He played really well in defense as always but I can't help but feel some of his passing once again led to break downs in play and watching live from the sideline, he seemed to be taking the wrong option a lot, running when we had overlaps, kicking at weird moments, passing to the wrong player including a guy walking back inside? What the heck happened there? - 7

I'm pretty sure that was Hunt. Not McCullough.

When we got the penalty from 40 out. Does anyone think we should have taken the two? It was in front so it wasn't a difficult kick.

You could see that we thought about it, I just don't think we're that confident in Kahu's goal kicking yet, there was multiple occasions last year where he had the accuracy but didn't have the distance on sideline kicks.

If we were so ill disciplined, why was nobody sat down?

We use our backs more, though.

Even when we have forwards there to take a hitup.

To me, we use our backs too much. I can understand using Oates, though.

Sharks used it to great effect last year

Starting props who did their job tonight:

J.Bromwich - 15 runs, 125 metres
McLean - 11 runs, 132 metres

Starting props who didn't do their job tonight:

Sims - 8 runs, 68 metres
Blair - 8 runs, 58 metres

Defence does that. When you're constantly doing exits sets and your front rowers have no choice but to ruck it against a set rested line with no play the ball what else is going to happen?

Offloads also meant the Broncos were having to make double efforts all the time.

McGuire's meter count would be higher I am betting because he can gain momentum from tackle two or three not one or two.

Same thing happen in 2015, although they did a lot more defence In that Storm game.

2015- 453 tackles
2017- 364 tackles

2015- Gillett- 100m, McGuire 164m, Glenn 90m, Dodds 35m, Thaiday 82m, Wallace 85m, Blair 92m.

Cheers guys, I'll have to see a replay.

Whether it was the referees or Korbin, the penalty was the game-changer.

I don't have a problem with the penalty ... what I have a problem with is the consistency. As Johns said on commentary (or words to the effect) "that had been happening all match, yet that was the first time in the match it got penalized"

if you are going to start penalizing something, do it the first time it happens in the match, don't just give a random penalty in the 70th minute for something that had been happening all match.

I hope common sense prevails.

Common sense is certainly not the first thing i think about with the NRL, MRC or Judiciary

The Cowboys attack was great in 2015 when JD was coach. But that's because he simplified their roles..

The same doesn't appear to be happening here.

Cowboys were 0/3 and out scored 88-40. Round four coming back against the Storm was the turning point.

Bennett needs to get Niko in the side over Marshall

Active Now

• the_next
  • Painin the Haas
  • Dash
  • Hurrijo
  • Robboi_321
  • Cavalo
  • broncoscope
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • Maroon4life
  • Foordy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Dexter
  • heartly87
  • jarro65
  • The True King
  • broncsgoat
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Skyblues87
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.