Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
I just re-watched the game and I don't get the kodi and Boyd hate on here after that game. It wasn't a flash game but this tigers team made the premiers and the premiership favourites play terrible too, there is a reason for that. Kodi is going to drift in and out games and will have bad kicking performances throughout the year but he broke the line and gave the ball for sims' linebreak too. Boyd was more then solid, ran harder at times, kept the defence tight and was safe under a few very difficult bombs. I'm not saying they played good, just think they did what they had too to warrant pass marks when comparing it to everyone else playing.

I thought the most dissapointing performance was actually Gillett. He could have caught that ball off of nikorima easily, and ran some poor lines, and none of his regular sting in defence. He looked tired.

Bird brought more then I thought he would first game back. His dads body doesn't seem to be affecting his energy or work rate, although there's no way he could play fullback or lock yet even if that's what we needed from him. On his try/no try, I don't mind which way it goes, as long as they are consistent with it! It was more of a try then inglis' in origin a few years back but I'd also be pissed if it was given against us. Consistency in the call is all I want. If its not a try now then it's never a try, fullstop

Sims and ofa played well but I hope they keep that up to cover for TPJ if he's off next week. TPJ had a good start before he got injured, he looked our most dangerous in attack with his footwork and aggression.

It was a harsh penalty in golden point by the ref but there were 3-4 harsh penalties throughout the game and it's obvious the nrl has told the refs to hammer some discipline into the teams early on in the season. The risk-a-penalty-to-reset-defence-style that the tigers have successfully beat the roosters and the storm with is going to win them more then they lose but it will also bite them on the ass every now and then and this is an example of this

In general, happy with the win. Not pretty but it's a long season and 2 points are precious..

Stix

Stix

NRL Player
Mar 28, 2014
It shouldn't have been a penalty in my opinion as the bloke playing the ball was facing the wrong way... The refereeing is getting worse and worse to the point that it's driving fans away from the game in droves. I'm fucked if I know how to fix it.
So many stupid penalties last night in an already ugly game just made that an awful experience for everyone. Then to hand the victory after nearly 90 fucken minutes to us for yet another bullshit penalty was putrid. Refs need to lose their jobs for that shit.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
About McCullough, I know everyone is proud of him making around 60 tackles a game, but IMO he should be making at least 15 less. It stiffles his attack. I'd rather have so meone else pick up that tackling workrate and have McCullough sharper in attack.

It's the same with Jake Friend from the last couple of years too, feels like they are trying to out tackle each other and it hurts their attacking games. Cam Smith averages less than them I believe, and so did Michael Ennis in 2016, and they were best hookers of the year pretty much.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I just re-watched the game and I don't get the kodi and Boyd hate on here after that game. It wasn't a flash game but this tigers team made the premiers and the premiership favourites play terrible too, there is a reason for that. Kodi is going to drift in and out games and will have bad kicking performances throughout the year but he broke the line and gave the ball for sims' linebreak too. Boyd was more then solid, ran harder at times, kept the defence tight and was safe under a few very difficult bombs. I'm not saying they played good, just think they did what they had too to warrant pass marks when comparing it to everyone else playing.

I thought the most dissapointing performance was actually Gillett. He could have caught that ball off of nikorima easily, and ran some poor lines, and none of his regular sting in defence. He looked tired.

Bird brought more then I thought he would first game back. His dads body doesn't seem to be affecting his energy or work rate, although there's no way he could play fullback or lock yet even if that's what we needed from him. On his try/no try, I don't mind which way it goes, as long as they are consistent with it! It was more of a try then inglis' in origin a few years back but I'd also be pissed if it was given against us. Consistency in the call is all I want. If its not a try now then it's never a try, fullstop

Sims and ofa played well but I hope they keep that up to cover for TPJ if he's off next week. TPJ had a good start before he got injured, he looked our most dangerous in attack with his footwork and aggression.

It was a harsh penalty in golden point by the ref but there were 3-4 harsh penalties throughout the game and it's obvious the nrl has told the refs to hammer some discipline into the teams early on in the season. The risk-a-penalty-to-reset-defence-style that the tigers have successfully beat the roosters and the storm with is going to win them more then they lose but it will also bite them on the ass every now and then and this is an example of this

In general, happy with the win. Not pretty but it's a long season and 2 points are precious..

I was pretty harsh on Kodi but rewatching it he wasnt that bad apart from his kicking. I was pretty dirty on Opacic for bombing that try as well but watching it back i dont think their was a great deal he could have done, it was a big hit on him and i found later he should probably have gone to the HIA as he copped a hit from a shoulder and was a bit dazed.

I actually dont think anyone was poor, they just werent good either. It was a bang average performance all around apart from Issakos kicking.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I was pretty harsh on Kodi but rewatching it he wasnt that bad apart from his kicking. I was pretty dirty on Opacic for bombing that try as well but watching it back i dont think their was a great deal he could have done, it was a big hit on him and i found later he should probably have gone to the HIA as he copped a hit from a shoulder and was a bit dazed.

I actually dont think anyone was poor, they just werent good either. It was a bang average performance all around apart from Issakos kicking.

Surely most of our forwards were well above average? They mostly dominated the Wests pack.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Surely most of our forwards were well above average? They mostly dominated the Wests pack.

I dont really think they were. The tigers pack didnt play well at all, i just thought we were average all over. If we played a good game, we would have won by 20.

Broncos Maestro

Broncos Maestro

NRL Player
May 1, 2016
I honestly can’t understand all the whinging about the game. We won. I can understand if teams had been smashing the tigers and we only managed to scrap a win, but the tigers defence is top notch and so far they have beaten the Roosters and the storm in similar circumstances. We were able to hold in there against there defence in conditions that do not suit us and come away with the 2 points, not to mention the injuries we had. Add to that that Milford’s kicking game is getting better and better.

Some perspective would go a long way.

I can’t speak about others on this forum but like you I was happy to see us get the win.

What I’m not happy about is the overall performance of our team. Yes the conditions were atrocious but like parents that know when your kids aren’t putting in 100%, it really annoys us as fans when we know our team plays much better than that.

B

big k

QCup Player
Apr 10, 2013
Of course they won't comment on the bird try being incorrect because the Bronco haters scream the loadest and are happy with that.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
I think the performance wasn't as bad as what is being suggested on here. No one stood out in attack but we should give credit to the tigers, and our own, defence. This is the team that held the storm and roosters to 8 points remember, and they scored 10 points against them too. We fared better both offensively and defensively in comparison. Their style makes teams play dirty to win-we played their game and won when more fancied teams haven't

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
The tigers had more to complain about last week when it comes to refereeing: they were dead set riding the storm home for slater’s 300th. Last night they got the rub of the green big time in regular time and copped a harsh (not incorrect) call in golden point. Tough titties!

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
It's all about you, is it? A good poster will acknowledge his/her fellow contributors and not try and deflect all the attention onto himself. You were only guessing anyways as you had never seen Isaako play until this season.

That’s why I 100% backed Issako over Everyone from the start even though I’ve never watched him.

Donny

Donny

NRL Player
Mar 31, 2010
After some time to calm down I thought I’d have my say.

Kodi and Milford really need to improve. At the moment you couldn’t rely on them to manage their own bedtimes let alone a 1st grade football team. Kicking wise Milford was ok last night. Few good kicks mixed in with a few bad kicks. Kodi’s kicking game was terrible. Every kick was complete shithouse. His running game though was a lot better then Milford’s last night and his passing game was better too. Milford seemed to run the ball everytime he got it and just fell over or ran into defenders. If Gillett catches the ball we score from the Nikorima break. I think that was probably the only line break of the whole game.

Boyd needs to show more enthusiasm at the back. Run it harder back at the line. Besides that I actually don’t think he played badly. His defence is very good. They scored from a kick on the 3rd tackle but that wasn’t Boyds fault. That’s how we run our defence. He through a nice pass to Tom who should have scored. 100% sure Oates scores there. Don’t know why he didn’t step back on the inside.

Forwards were ordinary. One of the worst games I’ve seen McGuire play in a long time. Run the ball. Don’t try and catch and pass your not paid to do that shit. Macca and Glenn were the best for me. Glenn made some good metres coming out of trouble. Can’t belive that dude cops so much criticism on here. Sims was good off the bench apart from his first involvement to give away a stupid penalty. Thaiday is a waist of space on the bench. Offa was average. Pangi was good until he got injured and lodge was solid. His defence was good.

Bird was solid in his first hit out. Good defence. Some good runs. Probably needed to make a few of the harder runs coming off our own line when our forwards were tired. Also needs to get a bigger jersey or lose 5kgs around the waist. Why does everyone come to the broncos and become fat?

Lastly Isaako. He was great. Really stood up. They kicked to him all night and he didn’t let us down. Great to see him take his chance.

For me so far it’s the same old story since Lockyer left. No game management. Early in the season it’s ok. We win off the back of the talent we have and the lack of enthusiasm of other teams but come finals it just doesn’t work. We take poor options and do stupid things. It’s already cost us a premiership in 2015.

Unless something changes with the halves drastically I just can’t see us winning a premiership.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I still can't figure out why this team doesn't use the short kicking game a whole lot more to get past a swarming defence like the Tigers (which is the same style as ours). We have speed to burn in Roberts and Isaako, and Milf as well.

Their try came from a clever kick through the line, and we almost scored as well using the short kick.

Milf's kicks into the corners were really good, but that is not the kind of kick I am talking about. I am talking about a set play attacking kick for support runners, especially Roberts, and Isaako anytime our attack is being blunted by a good defence.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I can’t speak about others on this forum but like you I was happy to see us get the win.

What I’m not happy about is the overall performance of our team. Yes the conditions were atrocious but like parents that know when your kids aren’t putting in 100%, it really annoys us as fans when we know our team plays much better than that.

So were the storm and the Roosters not putting in 100% too?

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
If we didn't get the penalty, I actually have question marks over whether we should have got the ball back.

I might be wrong here, but IIRC if a ball is going out on the full, you have to keep a foot in play when catching it. Thompson doesn't. He catches it on the full over the dead ball line. There is that rule where you cannot touch a ball that's gone over the dead ball line until it bounces at least once.

Unread

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.