Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Donny

Donny

NRL Player
Mar 31, 2010
I think the thing that annoys most of is the complete inability to play consistently. How can we play like we did last week and then turn up and play as bad as we did this week. It’s probably the thing that annoys me the most about the broncos.

When Lockyer was playing I never thought we would lose a game if we were in front because he always took the right options.

With this team I still think we are a chance of lossing when we are in front by 50 points with a minute to go. That inconsistency and lack of ability build any sought of pressure or to make the right decision under pressure is what cost us the 2015 grand final.

Nothing has changed since then so I’m expecting pretty much the same thing. A season of really good games mixed in with some awful ones and unfortunately us to be beaten in the finals by a team with better halves who make the right decisions at the crucial time in the game.

Dash

Dash

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Dec 12, 2014
If we didn't get the penalty, I actually have question marks over whether we should have got the ball back.

I might be wrong here, but IIRC if a ball is going out on the full, you have to keep a foot in play when catching it. Thompson doesn't. He catches it on the full over the dead ball line. There is that rule where you cannot touch a ball that's gone over the dead ball line until it bounces at least once.
That rule only applies to a bouncing ball. It's actually the exact same rule as anywhere else on the field.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Thaiday- A shadow of the great man... barely say him unfortunately. 4

I think that score is a little harsh.

He didn't play long, but when he was on the field his runs were strong and he was dragging defenders which gave us momentum. Defensively he was a rock.

He was brought on the field just to run hard and tackle, and he did exactly that.

A 6 would be more fair.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008

He didn't play long, but when he was on the field his runs were strong and he was dragging defenders which gave us momentum. Defensively he was a rock.

He was brought on the field just to run hard and tackle, and he did exactly that.

A 6 would be more fair.

That is the impression I got too.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Gees, you’re a tough marker mate.
Just on the ratings above:
No way was Gillett better than Lodge. His attack continues to go backwards at an alarming rate and quite honestly, I don’t care how good his defence is - that should be a given. He stifles so many opportunities for Roberts which frustrates me to no end and seemingly did everything he could to not score a try by taking his hands away from the ball at the last second. Solid game, but no way he scores higher than Lodge - even at worst.

I get people being annoyed with McGuire taking hitups on 4 and 5 in general. But last night is not an example of that.
In such a dour, punctuated game, that is exactly what was needed. Otherwise, I’d be interested to know what you think should have happened on those plays. It’s not like our halves were setting up line breaks for our outside backs at will or kicking to close out the game like seasoned veterans. Added to that, the ball barely got past Gillett / Glenn when we did go wide, so I am not sure what other options we had.
In my opinion, he was head and shoulders above Gillett, not half a point like you indicated.

Ditto Sims. Much maligned on here by many, including me at times. Frankly, it’s been warranted a lot too.
But he was huge off the bench last night and we needed someone to be when we were down to 15 players. Almost cut a few blokes in half with his stinging defence but most impressively, ran hard, broke tackles and did so at such important parts of the game.
If Gillett gets a 7, Sims gets at least an 8.5 - he was enormous last night.
Lodge got caught in no man's land too often, allowing the tigers to eat up meters way too easily. That was the reason for my score discount, despite his work carting the ball.

Moose also got a discount for his 4th and 5th tackle involvement. The argument about lack of creativity is not one to use to justify giving the ball to the least creative player in our squad, when we need attacking options.

Sims played the best game I've seen him play in a long time, but he really wasn't at Glenn's level or even Moose if you discount the last tackle issues. I'm not going to score him based on what he normally produces, but based on what I expect to see from a prop.

I know people will deny the evidence and blame my Gillo bias (which exists without a doubt) on this issue. But just like last week, the guilty party on the try gone begging is clear as day, and it's only people trying to excuse Kodi who deflect the issue and blame the guy next to him.
The above goes for the Roberts comment too, blaming the guy wearing the 12 on his back for the shortcomings of the guy wearing the 7, will do me.

Also, and in reverse to Sims, people judge Gillett on what they think he should produce in attack, discarding the importance of a good half for that purpose, while ignoring the sapper work he does, continuously disrupting the opposition's attack.
In my opinion, a proper halfback next to him would make a massive difference, as his rep games show. Compare those to Broncos games, and you'll see the same defense, but a totally different and improved attack.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010

A 6 would be more fair.
I honestly barely noticed him, which means he didn't **** up, but also didn't do anything noteworthy. That is what my score is based on.

In fairness, due to it being a dour affair, the game had a soporific impact on me, which helped by the long work hours I have been doing, made me less than alert...

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Lodge got caught in no man's land too often, allowing the tigers to eat up meters way too easily. That was the reason for my score discount, despite his work carting the ball.

Moose also got a discount for his 4th and 5th tackle involvement. The argument about lack of creativity is not one to use to justify giving the ball to the least creative player in our squad, when we need attacking options.

Sims played the best game I've seen him play in a long time, but he really wasn't at Glenn's level or even Moose if you discount the last tackle issues. I'm not going to score him based on what he normally produces, but based on what I expect to see from a prop.

I know people will deny the evidence and blame my Gillo bias (which exists without a doubt) on this issue. But just like last week, the guilty party on the try gone begging is clear as day, and it's only people trying to excuse Kodi who deflect the issue and blame the guy next to him.
The above goes for the Roberts comment too, blaming the guy wearing the 12 on his back for the shortcomings of the guy wearing the 7, will do me.

Also, and in reverse to Sims, people judge Gillett on what they think he should produce in attack, discarding the importance of a good half for that purpose, while ignoring the sapper work he does, continuously disrupting the opposition's attack.
In my opinion, a proper halfback next to him would make a massive difference, as his rep games show. Compare those to Broncos games, and you'll see the same defense, but a totally different and improved attack.

This.

Gillett's play is for mine, by and large a product of the way the halves use the space in and around the edge - and they use it poorly, except on the very odd occasion. Sure, Gillo has to be responsible for his stuff ups, but equally, the work he does in defence really does disrupt an attack and compensates for any stuff ups.

Moose at lock screws the attack. He's a great running prop and that is where he ought to play. 4th and 5th tackle options to Moose? WTF? For mine, Bird must go to lock where I reckon he will do real damage with his running game, passing game and defence.

As for Sims, if only he can control his occasional brain explosions and channel his energy a bit more into his running and defending as he did last night, he's just a great bench rotation prop for the side.

Overall, the lack of combinations and worked set plays in the halves is a worry however, it is early days so here's hoping.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
This.

Gillett's play is for mine, by and large a product of the way the halves use the space in and around the edge - and they use it poorly, except on the very odd occasion. Sure, Gillo has to be responsible for his stuff ups, but equally, the work he does in defence really does disrupt an attack and compensates for any stuff ups.

Moose at lock screws the attack. He's a great running prop and that is where he ought to play. 4th and 5th tackle options to Moose? WTF? For mine, Bird must go to lock where I reckon he will do real damage with his running game, passing game and defence.

As for Sims, if only he can control his occasional brain explosions and channel his energy a bit more into his running and defending as he did last night, he's just a great bench rotation prop for the side.

Overall, the lack of combinations and worked set plays in the halves is a worry however, it is early days so here's hoping.

In Oates and TPJ's absence I wouldn't actually be against shifting Moose back to Prop and Bird at lock as a trial run. Move Opacic into the centres and Pearson a run on the wing.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
In Oates and TPJ's absence I wouldn't actually be against shifting Moose back to Prop and Bird at lock as a trial run. Move Opacic into the centres and Pearson a run on the wing.

I think Bird at lock at the moment would hurt us more than it helps us.

He is clearly underdone and needs a bit more match fitness. Opposition teams will exploit that if he is in the middle.

Broncos Maestro

Broncos Maestro

NRL Player
May 1, 2016
So were the storm and the Roosters not putting in 100% too?
To be fair I didn’t watch the game against the Roosters but I recall the Storm were pretty terrible especially the wingers (know the names but no chance of spelling it correctly) dropped a lot of ball against too.

Personally I don’t care so much about how good or $h1thouse other teams played-I would love some consistency from our own squad.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
If you are not 100% you shouldn't be on the field whatever position

Broncos Maestro

Broncos Maestro

NRL Player
May 1, 2016
I think Bird at lock at the moment would hurt us more than it helps us.

He is clearly underdone and needs a bit more match fitness. Opposition teams will exploit that if he is in the middle.
Talking about underdone players can we also get Boyd off the field until he is back to 170% and running like 2015.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
To be fair I didn’t watch the game against the Roosters but I recall the Storm were pretty terrible especially the wingers (know the names but no chance of spelling it correctly) dropped a lot of ball against too.

Personally I don’t care so much about how good or $h1thouse other teams played-I would love some consistency from our own squad.

Missed my point but that’s cool.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
This.

Lock is a middle forward , bird would get rolled. He is strong but not a big enough body , he is better on the edges. Locks don't need to be super creative anymore, because of the evolution of the fullback role. Thats where your third playmaker comes from now .

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017

Honestly, I m sorry but I cannot agree with your comments when you are so openly biased. Basing a large portion of your response on why Gillett’s score is justified and the others aren’t, and why his shortcomings are everyone else’s fault and not his, only reinforces my thoughts.

You score Sims on what you expect from a prop but somehow Gillett is excempt from this same scoring method and the reason he doesn’t look as good is everyone else’s fault - please.

Cordner was so much more dangerous than him in the Australian team last year and throughout Origin, without a great halves combination making him look better (in origin). Based on those performances alone, if Gillett is in the top 2 second rowers in Australia, that doesn’t bode well for the rest of the comp.

FWIW, I don’t have a vendetta against Gillett (his defence has improved out of sight since early this decade, but if you’re honest, his attack has gone backwards at an almost identical rate), but he is not excempt from criticism just because he’s your favourite player - he’s been stinking it up in attack for quite some time now.

You also didn’t provide a response to what you think we should have done last night when there was so often no other choice than to give it to the only bloke putting his hand up to go forward (McGuire) on tackle 4 or 5. When we did it, giving it to Gillett didn’t seem to work but that’ll obviously be someone else’s fault. So unless we are going to kick on tackle 4 or 5, someone has to run it. Who should it be?

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Hey it’s ok guys.

At least we didn’t concede a converted try and two field goals in three minutes to lose the game [HASHTAG]#suckitraiders[/HASHTAG]

I'm still laughing.

Unread

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • broncsgoat
  • eggstar10
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.