Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
As much as I think Farnworth would make a capable fullback, switching him now, with very little experience in the position would be an absolute disaster. At the very least he'd need a pre-season there to learn the subtleties of the position and, most importantly, the defensive characteristics. Cobbo is too erratic, so Niu is the logical choice IMO.

Niu shows absolutely no effort or desperation in defense. He brings a bit in attack but that is only half his job and even that isn't going well. Herbie is Manu-like, he'd take to it fine and one thing you know for sure is that he would give 100% effort both sides of the ball.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
As much as I think Farnworth would make a capable fullback, switching him now, with very little experience in the position would be an absolute disaster. At the very least he'd need a pre-season there to learn the subtleties of the position and, most importantly, the defensive characteristics. Cobbo is too erratic, so Niu is the logical choice IMO.
I'd like to see Herbie "fill in" at fullback rather than assume the position wholesale from Tesi. More to tick off that box than in expectation he'll be some kind of revelation back there.

I think the drive behind him shifting to 1 is based on the assumption that what we lack back there is effort, and Herbie's tireless runs, defence and tendency to not spill the ball will translate into plugging a gap.

They might, and he might be a better fullback than anyone we have on our roster. BUT, a star fullback is more than just solid: he reads the game, identifies weaknesses in both his own team and the opposition, and maps out a plan to exploit them and mop up the mess. He shouldn't need to be told what to do. He's already on it.

It's really a position for someone who knows the game inside out and can be one step ahead of everyone else. That's why Reece Walsh, Nicho Hynes, Ryan Papenhuyzen and Latrell are so good back there: they're thinking players, not just effort players.

Who in our team is a thinker? That's the question we should be asking. Adam and Kurt, for sure. I'm pretty certain Tesi isn't and I'm not sure about Selwyn.

Herbie is an established toiler. One of our best. But is he a thinker? I haven't seen evidence of it. But maybe it hasn't been asked of him.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I'd like to see Herbie "fill in" at fullback rather than assume the position wholesale from Tesi. More to tick off that box than in expectation he'll be some kind of revelation back there.

I think the drive behind him shifting to 1 is based on the assumption that what we lack back there is effort, and Herbie's tireless runs, defence and tendency to not spill the ball will translate into plugging a gap.

They might, and he might be a better fullback than anyone we have on our roster. BUT, a star fullback is more than just solid: he reads the game, identifies weaknesses in both his own team and the opposition, and maps out a plan to exploit them and mop up the mess. He shouldn't need to be told what to do. He's already on it.

It's really a position for someone who knows the game inside out and can be one step ahead of everyone else. That's why Reece Walsh, Nicho Hynes, Ryan Papenhuyzen and Latrell are so good back there: they're thinking players, not just effort players.

Who in our team is a thinker? That's the question we should be asking. Adam and Kurt, for sure. I'm pretty certain Tesis in't and I'm not sure about Selwyn.

Herbie is an established toiler. One of our best. But is he a thinker? I haven't seen evidence of it. But maybe it hasn't been asked of him.
We should do a WB special, and have Niu and Herbie swap positions in attack/defence. Herbie can defend at FB and Tesi can attack.

Scorchie

Scorchie

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 16, 2008
We should do a WB special, and have Niu and Herbie swap positions in attack/defence. Herbie can defend at FB and Tesi can attack.

Kev did that towards the end of the warriors game. Could’ve sworn Tesi and Cobbo swapped attack/defence

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Kev did that towards the end of the warriors game. Could’ve sworn Tesi and Cobbo swapped attack/defence

Which is one of the things I have enjoyed seeing this year so far. Kevvie is showing some signs, albeit rare, of thinking on the run. His bench use is still awful but I'm looking for small things here.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
Nui more times then not looks like he hasn't had a pre season there either

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

Who in our team is a thinker? That's the question we should be asking. Adam and Kurt, for sure. I'm pretty certain Tesis in't and I'm not sure about Selwyn.

Good post. At this point in time though, we need to go with what we have and, through our own fault, we don't have one of those fullbacks. So in the void, we need to fill it as best as possible, whether it be Niu and Herbie swapping in game / Niu and Cobbo swapping in game or just giving Herbie a run there as a trial to see how he goes. Niu is a 50% fullback and it is killing us defensively.

A

Astro

QCup Player
Jun 27, 2014

I believe he has the brains. He thinks about where he needs to be and doesn't generally take risks. I know you are always up him for holding the ball and I think he makes the decision to stay in field and away from the sideline when its not on. And i'd rather that than our other 30 error centre wing pairing. Last night he drew in the winger and put Oates away and if Oates had of backed himself to take Johnson on instead of diving around him he probably scores.

Herbie sometimes tries to force things in defence but that only seems to happen when we are down by lots with little time to go.

Niu is offering next to nothing back there how many tries have been scored with Niu not in the picture. The lack of effort in defence and passing to nobody on the 5th. No brains as far as I can tell.

Lee can fill Herbies hole at centre.

Staggs has runs on the board but is starting to test my patience this year. And Selwyn needs time in cup to regroup away from the pressure.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Good post. At this point in time though, we need to go with what we have and, through our own fault, we don't have one of those fullbacks. So in the void, we need to fill it as best as possible, whether it be Niu and Herbie swapping in game / Niu and Cobbo swapping in game or just giving Herbie a run there as a trial to see how he goes. Niu is a 50% fullback and it is killing us defensively.
The more I think about this the more depressed it makes me. We really don't have any smart players, and what's worse they keep copping it for not putting in effort, where the problem is more that they keep being outsmarted.

Herbie and Tesi are both physically capable of playing fullback. One might be better in attack and the other in defence, but what we're really lacking is vision. You can't really coach that.

I forsee Herbie being great at winning the high ball and then charging like a mad bull up the field beating a couple of defenders, and clumping the defence over on his side. Turps gets it, hands it back to Payne who rushes forward doing much the same as Herbie. Eventually after a couple of sets the ball makes its way over to Kotoni where the defence has already gravitated having seen it coming three plays ago.

Would Herbie gather the ball and immediately spin it over to Kotoni and mess up the other team's plan? This is what we don't know. He doesn't normally make that kind of play. If he gets the ball he tries to score a try on his own. Which has worked for him. But he'll need to bring more to the table.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I believe he has the brains. He thinks about where he needs to be and doesn't generally take risks. I know you are always up him for holding the ball and I think he makes the decision to stay in field and away from the sideline when its not on. And i'd rather that than our other 30 error centre wing pairing. Last night he drew in the winger and put Oates away and if Oates had of backed himself to take Johnson on instead of diving around him he probably scores.

Herbie sometimes tries to force things in defence but that only seems to happen when we are down by lots with little time to go.

Niu is offering next to nothing back there how many tries have been scored with Niu not in the picture. The lack of effort in defence and passing to nobody on the 5th. No brains as far as I can tell.

Lee can fill Herbies hole at centre.

Staggs has runs on the board but is starting to test my patience this year. And Selwyn needs time in cup to regroup away from the pressure.
If I were ranking our top twenty dumbest players, Herbie wouldn't be getting a look in, but football vision is something else again. The best example that comes to mind is Wally Lewis. Unfit, slow, minimum effort, but maximum result. He understood the game like a chess match. Same with Alfie.

If we see that in a player, we should buy it. Because that's what we're lacking. We already have the athletes.

A

Astro

QCup Player
Jun 27, 2014
If I were ranking our top twenty dumbest players, Herbie wouldn't be getting a look in, but football vision is something else again. The best example that comes to mind is Wally Lewis. Unfit, slow, minimum effort, but maximum result. He understood the game like a chess match. Same with Alfie.

If we see that in a player, we should buy it. Because that's what we're lacking. We already have the athletes.
@1910 has mentioned before in ISC that Herbie would come across from his wing to the other side of the field to create numbers and opportunities. I'm sure he's got it on speed dial there somewhere.

He may not be the answer. But **** let's find out before die wondering.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Looks like Walters 6, Paix 14 as expected. Hopefully Riki and Capewell are fit to play:

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Flegler has submitted early guilty pleas and taken the 2, plus 2,000 fine.

Thomas Flegler (Broncos)Grade 1 Dangerous ContactGuilty - early plea$1000 fine
Thomas Flegler (Broncos)Grade 3 Dangerous ContactGuilty - early plea2 matches

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Flegler has submitted early guilty pleas and taken the 2, plus 2,000 fine.

Thomas Flegler (Broncos)Grade 3 Dangerous ContactGuilty - early plea2 matches

So that'll be 6 out of his last 7 games he has been suspended, and his one game includes a stint in the bin.

Why did we let TPJ go again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.