PRE-GAME [Round 5, 2022] Broncos vs Roosters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Players loving him is a good start. To me that means he just needs better assistance to support players with KPI’s and areas of improvements.

Probably shouldnt say this, but there is only one bloke i know who is still at the Broncos that was here when he was here as a coach and the communication issues weren't there when he was just a coach. Could just be like you said, he needs better assistants and support staff.

Totally agreed. I was for Gamble to start the season at 6 alongside Renyolds, bit of a shame his pre-season form didn't push his case more. But the energy he brings is just what this team needs right now. It's not the kind of thing you can ride all year, but if it gets them up for the next few games and they get some wins they shouldn't, then perhaps some momentum builds, confidence grows, the team starts playing like a team and not a bunch of strangers, and you don't need to rely on that energy every week.

The other thing is, he won't be afraid to call for the ball which I think some of the other playmakers are with Reynolds there. This gives us a double threat instead of Reynolds being pressured every single time because the 6 won't kick it.

On Kevvie, I think he has been a lot better at pressers, I'm not sure what the issue is. Even last week, what he said was appropriate.

I've been thinking, you know what, I reckon Gamble needs to come in. The reason I say this is, he is not the most gifted player running around BUT that doesn't matter because he makes up for it with heart and makes people around him stand taller. They know he has their back, they know if someone intimidates them, he is first one in to support them. In time, he can be replaced but we need him right now because we have too many passive, quiet players. He will get in opposition faces. It isn't a coincidence the team generally looked better when he came in last year.
Whatever you want to say about Kevvie as a tactician he's pulled off one major coup since being here: he's managed to gift his son his old job. He's done it under our noses. We didn't see it coming. Somehow we think it's our idea. And he's going to very hard to remove.

The only way I see Gamble getting into the side is through injury to Reynolds. The longer Walters holds 6, the more likely his cover will be Mam. That leaves Tyson as cover for Adam.

Now ask yourself: what would have to happen for Billy Walters to lose the 6?

I did get told that at one point. Oates is actually a good example of this. He wasnt happy with Corey, who wanted some feedback about what he needed to improve on. I dont know specifics, but he didnt really get anything he could work with from Kevvie and just got dropped back to ISC. I'm not sure with Kevvie if its just his communication with his players thats the issue or they just cant get his gameplan.

The players love him though, i'm just not convinced he is head coach material.
Michael Morgan said something similar last year about how in origin he was good for the passion etc, but he needed another voice to actually decipher what he wanted them to do.

Whatever you want to say about Kevvie as a tactician he's pulled off one major coup since being here: he's managed to gift his son his old job. He's done it under our noses. We didn't see it coming. Somehow we think it's our idea. And he's going to very hard to remove.

The only way I see Gamble getting into the side is through injury to Reynolds. The longer Walters holds 6, the more likely his cover will be Mam. That leaves Tyson as cover for Adam.

Me with a bat Tonya style!

I’m joking..

I actually don't think this is an issue at all. I honestly wouldn't even be surprised if there was a late change this week and Billy switched out of the six to make way for Gamble (or hopefully less likely, Mam). [Author's Note: Late Changes =/= Conspiracy]

As much as I'd prefer Gamble, I also can't really argue with Billy's selection. He won the 6 jumper against Souths on preseason form, and was as good in that game as Kelly, and might have been considered unlucky to cop the demotion to the bench for Dogs game. He hasn't done much wrong since then, even if he hasn't set the world on fire, and from all reports Gamble isn't exactly killing it in Q Cup, so he is a fairly logical first replacement for Kelly.

I think Walters Sr is aware that Walters Jr's value lies in that utility role, and as soon as a better option is available or presents itself for the five-eighth spot, Bill will ride the pine again (or shift to starting hooker, should Turpin finally, deservedly, get the hook).

I actually don't think this is an issue at all. I honestly wouldn't even be surprised if there was a late change this week and Billy switched out of the six to make way for Gamble (or hopefully less likely, Mam). [Author's Note: Late Changes =/= Conspiracy]

As much as I'd prefer Gamble, I also can't really argue with Billy's selection. He won the 6 jumper against Souths on preseason form, and was as good in that game as Kelly, and might have been considered unlucky to cop the demotion to the bench for Dogs game. He hasn't done much wrong since then, even if he hasn't set the world on fire, and from all reports Gamble isn't exactly killing it in Q Cup, so he is a fairly logical first replacement for Kelly.

I think Walters Sr is aware that Walters Jr's value lies in that utility role, and as soon as a better option is available or presents itself for the five-eighth spot, Bill will ride the pine again (or shift to starting hooker, should Turpin finally, deservedly, get the hook).
Interesting conspiracy theory, but I'll bet you a bucket of sand Billy plays 6 and keeps it. The 9 shootout is between Turpin and Paix. Billy doesn't want to play 9.

hopefully billy can open up the right side a bit better something that gamble was good at last year was getting the right hand side decent ball

Interesting conspiracy theory, but I'll bet you a bucket of sand Billy plays 6 and keeps it. The 9 shootout is between Turpin and Paix. Billy doesn't want to play 9.
billy may be a better fit with Arey as he’s more direct (ball runner) where as Kelly is more of a halfback. Billy did play really well against south’s. I haven’t liked him spelling Turpin.

I did get told that at one point. Oates is actually a good example of this. He wasnt happy with Corey, who wanted some feedback about what he needed to improve on. I dont know specifics, but he didnt really get anything he could work with from Kevvie and just got dropped back to ISC. I'm not sure with Kevvie if its just his communication with his players thats the issue or they just cant get his gameplan.

The players love him though, i'm just not convinced he is head coach material.
To be fair it is Oates. A winger needs to do 3 things, Catch, Run and Stay on the wing in defence.

Kevvy said, 'Corey go back to grade and practice the 3 things every winger needs to do'.

Oatsey just couldn't remember the 3 things.

Too many options
Catch and Run - Forgets to stay on his wing
Stay on his wing and Catch - Forgets to run
Run and Stays on the wing - Forgets to catch

It's complicated.

/sarcasm

hopefully billy can open up the right side a bit better something that gamble was good at last year was getting the right hand side decent ball
billy may be a better fit with Arey as he’s more direct (ball runner) where as Kelly is more of a halfback. Billy did play really well against south’s. I haven’t liked him spelling Turpin.
Billy was great in the first trial but I haven't been wild about him since. 6 is his to lose now. I hope we're not all heaping shit on him in a couple of weeks the way Turpin is copping it now.

to be fair our whole side almost was hot garbage
There was a moment where he was disgraceful. I'm not going to put myself through the misery of watching the highlights, but I think it was the first try after he came on.

Billy was great in the first trial but I haven't been wild about him since. 6 is his to lose now. I hope we're not all heaping shit on him in a couple of weeks the way Turpin is copping it now.
favouritism at it's finest

Look gents, its quite simple; we have no spine...and we have only scored 45 points across 4 rounds.

Reynolds is a game manager, general kicker and organiser for the team. He isnt the number one option for scoring points.

Those have to come from our hooker, fullback and 5/8th (and to a lessor extent your lock).

Take a look at who has held down those positions so far.

The sooner this simple truth sinks into Kevs head, then the sooner we may see Paix become our new hooker and Kobe sticking in the run on side.

Then work out who our fullback is who can score us points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• kman
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.