POST GAME Round 5 - Knights vs Broncos

How Newcastle rewrote history that ultimately allowed Nathan Brown to hit Wayne Bennett below the belt
April 9, 2018 7:49pm
NATHAN Brown should be ashamed of his below-the-belt public attack on Wayne Bennett _ and Todd Greenberg should be equally embarrassed for allowing it to escape sanction.
Would Greenberg have been more defensive if Brown’s comment was directed at a match official or a female staff member?
A few years back Ricky Stuart copped a $10,000 fine for using the word “shit”, even though Stuart apologised the split second he made the comment.
57827562dd17bf8d3b54a2f92aacfedc

Brown had a chance to apologise on Sunday when interviewed by Triple M yet said nothing.

Perhaps commentators now cheering Brown would also react differently if it was their families again forced to go through the public anguish of a marriage breakdown.
Many now laughing at Brown’s swipe might want to slap the Newcastle coach a touch harder than Brown did Trent Barrett all those years ago.
Last week Bennett was asked by journalists about the job Brown has done at Newcastle and all Bennett said was that Brown “unbuilt” the Knights.
Even though Brown was entitled to see it as a slur, which I’m not sure it was, Brown’s response was way out of line when saying if Bennett “thought with his big head, rather than his little head (meaning penis), I wouldn’t have had to rebuild the joint”.
It was a direct reference to Bennett’s relationship with new partner Dale Cage, who he met during his time at Newcastle.

By his own admission Bennett was not satisfied with his time at Newcastle.
But let’s remember that in 2013 the Knights finished a game short of the grand final before the following season was torn apart by the shocking circumstances surrounding Alex McKinnon’s injury.

On top of that, Nathan Tinkler consistently failed to make payments to players and staff on time. The team was never going to flourish in those conditions.
But they still beat the Sydney Roosters and Melbourne late in the season (ultimately finishing 12th), while the under 20s were minor premiers and NSW Cup made the finals.
Brown maintains Bennett left the club in disarray, and critics say their junior system was a mess.
My brother Mick coached Newcastle’s under 20s during Bennett’s reign from which 23 players have gone on to play NRL since.
That would be more than any NRL club, with Penrith perhaps the exception.
Critics also conveniently forget it was Rick Stone in charge before Brown, not Bennett.
Stone has been somehow written out of history.

Bennett had no say in Stone’s appointment, that was driven from within the new administration to the point where outside candidates where not even interviewed.
Stone even said when he took charge in August, 2014, that “we have some exciting times ahead with some great young juniors coming through”.
Stone went on to win his first four games in 2015 before it fell apart and Stone was sacked mid-season.
But not before taking responsibility for many deals now blamed on Bennett.

The club offered a ridiculous upgrade to Chris Houston for instance, and huge money to the Mata’utia brothers to block Canterbury’s interest.
Stone also signed Trent Hodkinson who Brown didn’t want, while releasing Beau Scott and Joey Leilua.
Brown also released Tariq Sims and refused to pay the money to keep Joey Tapine, now among the game’s best backrowers.
I wonder how much Brown saved letting Tapine and Sims go and bringing in Aidan Guerra?
At what point does Newcastle accept responsibility for the failure that followed Bennett?

It wasn’t Bennett’s fault the club couldn’t sign Matt Scott, James Graham, Jack Bird and even Matt Lodge last year, even though they could outbid all competitors.
It’s great to see the Knights improving this year but it is equally sad to see the public humiliation campaign targeting a 68-year-old coaching legend.
Bennett might not be everyone’s cup of tea but he deserves more respect than he is currently getting.
Craig Bellamy was rightly applauded last week for reaching 400 NRL games.
Bennett has coached 793 games, including seven premierships and no wooden spoons.
A decent piece from Paul Crawley in the DT which goes into the whole “Wayne left Newcastle in a mess” rubbish. One thing it does do is show up the usual Rothfield ramblings on this as the infantile crap that it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Paul Crawley, one of the few journalists that won’t go along with the bullshit. Guys like Kent, Ikin and Matty must hate him. No surprise that those spineless cowards Ikin and Kent didn’t have Crawley on last night so the could bask in their amusement of Brown’s comments.

I am absolutely disgusted that Brown’s comments escaped sanction and everyone is just cool with it. If something so personal and damaging was said in a press conference was said about Bellamy or Green, Kent would have slapped Browny himself, but it is Bennett and his family so it’s fucking hilarious apparently.

I love Paul Crawley, one of the few journalists that won’t go along with the bullshit. Guys like Kent, Ikin and Matty must hate him. No surprise that those spineless cowards Ikin and Kent didn’t have Crawley on last night so the could bask in their amusement of Brown’s comments.

I am absolutely disgusted that Brown’s comments escaped sanction and everyone is just cool with it. If something so personal and damaging was said in a press conference was said about Bellamy or Green, Kent would have slapped Browny himself, but it is Bennett and his family so it’s fucking hilarious apparently.

Totally agree. It does seem like there is a slur campaign against Bennett. It's also ridiculous he gets blamed for leaving Newcastle in a state , if the clubs a mess point the finger at the people running it not the fucking coach . Matty johns is one of the worst for it would love to knock him the **** out . Obviously bitter about being 2nd best !

Crawley is usually on Tuesdays so if he is tonight it will likely be raised... but Kent being the Kent that he is will probably just talk over him.

You only have to think what would it be like if Bennett said something similar. The whole football community (apparently only NSW) would be baying for blood.

It was a low cheap shot at someone's personal life, which is not on in the kind of position that he has... he's obviously been thinking about it a fair bit and probably got a few laughs from inside Newcastle with it because you don't just come up with that off the cuff.

Brown is riding high at the moment and seems to be a bit giddy from it. He is going to learn soon that the excuses are gone and the expectation is there. He should probably live it up while he can.

You only have to think what would it be like if Bennett said something similar. The whole football community (apparently only NSW) would be baying for blood.

Absolutely they wouldn't give two seconds to even think should they hold back on it. Funny thing is if Brown had a go at the refs or the bunker he would be facing a fine, not a peep out of the NRL about him going after an opposing coach at a complete unprofessional and inappropriate level.

Totally agree. It does seem like there is a slur campaign against Bennett. It's also ridiculous he gets blamed for leaving Newcastle in a state , if the clubs a mess point the finger at the people running it not the fucking coach . Matty johns is one of the worst for it would love to knock him the **** out . Obviously bitter about being 2nd best !
I really don't give a rats either way, but I think a consideration never mentioned is what was Waynes riding instruction by the Newcastle Board/owners. Did they bring him in and say "Wayne, we want instant success, the future will take care of itself if we are successful - just get it done". Or do they say "Wayne, we're here for the long term... lets just build this club from the ground up". Sure Wayne as head coach would be responsible for his roster, but it would be under the direction that the board wants to approach its future. I don't know what Waynes instructions were by the people who paid him, but he sure as shit wouldn't have said **** you, I'm just gonna do my own thing.

I really don't give a rats either way, but I think a consideration never mentioned is what was Waynes riding instruction by the Newcastle Board/owners. Did they bring him in and say "Wayne, we want instant success, the future will take care of itself if we are successful - just get it done". Or do they say "Wayne, we're here for the long term... lets just build this club from the ground up". Sure Wayne as head coach would be responsible for his roster, but it would be under the direction that the board wants to approach its future. I don't know what Waynes instructions were by the people who paid him, but he sure as shit wouldn't have said **** you, I'm just gonna do my own thing.

I agree with this. And I also wonder what part Tinkler was playing behind the scenes about instructions being provided as well.

I agree with this. And I also wonder what part Tinkler was playing behind the scenes about instructions being provided as well.
I'm pretty sure at the time Tinkler said he wanted to bring Newcastle juniors back home and have a heavy local junior presence in the team. I believe that is why they spent heavy on Snowden (who at the time was looking a serious prospect) and Mullen. They both feel like Tinkler signings.

You can tell which players are Bennett players Darius (obviously), Costigan, Jeremy Smith, Beau Scott, etc. I doubt these guys broke the bank and in all likelihood probably followed Bennett for unders excluding Darius.

I fail to see how the football manager doesn't have any accountability in it all as well. They're the one that's meant to be managing the cap. I don't think Bennett is getting final say on the contract figures, backended contracts, etc.

Why should Brown be in trouble for being better at sledging than Bennett- Bennett started it on Thursday. If you pick a fight and get knocked out that's not the other guys fault that he can punch better.

Crash bagged Brown too and said it's worse than what De Kock said to Warner about his wife. It was about Bennett- not his family. Brown didn't mention anyone else.

The inference was simple, you're mind wasn't on the job here- is he wrong?

Why should Brown be in trouble for being better at sledging than Bennett- Bennett started it on Thursday. If you pick a fight and get knocked out that's not the other guys fault that he can punch better.

Crash bagged Brown too and said it's worse than what De Kock said to Warner about his wife. It was about Bennett- not his family. Brown didn't mention anyone else.

Is that you Gordie ??

Because you don’t bring people’s personal lives and families into it, it is as simple as that. No exceptions. There was a hundred different ways Brown could have sledged Bennett without bringing his personal life into it and still one the sledging match.

Further to this it was definitely about his family. It is referencing his affair/new relationship that ended his marriage which I’m sure is the last thing his ex-wife and kids wanted to hear in a press conference.

Something tells me you know this though, which is pretty disappointing.

Because you don’t bring people’s personal lives and families into it, it is as simple as that. No exceptions. There was a hundred different ways Brown could have sledged Bennett without bringing his personal life into it and still one the sledging match.

Further to this it was definitely about his family. It is referencing his affair/new relationship that ended his marriage which I’m sure is the last thing his ex-wife and kids wanted to hear in a press conference.

Something tells me you know this though, which is pretty disappointing.

I honestly wasn't offended by it. If he'd reference his wife directly or said something about Trish or his wife I'd say too far but I didn't think it was bad. How many people bag Ikin and that's his family- no one says hang on that's too far to bag his son in law.

Give it up mate. The comments were ill judged. Plain and simple. Has Brown been reprimanded by the NRL? Or did they think it was a pretty good sledge too?

Terrible look for the game.

I honestly wasn't offended by it. If he'd reference his wife directly or said something about Trish or his wife I'd say too far but I didn't think it was bad. How many people bag Ikin and that's his family- no one says hang on that's too far to bag his son in law.

Well it’s not your family so no one cares if you’re offended.

It’s not that he bagged him it is that he used the situation that ended his relationship. He involved other people’s personal lives.

You’re a smart guy and you know it is wrong, stop playing semantics to win some weird argument on the internet.

Brown even admitted to being out of line by ringing and apologising.
But good on Paul Crawley for again sticking it to Kent and Ikin in sticking up for Bennett’s legacy on NRL360 just now.

Give it up mate. The comments were ill judged. Plain and simple. Has Brown been reprimanded by the NRL? Or did they think it was a pretty good sledge too?

Terrible look for the game.

Snowflake?

Active Now

• marw
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.