POST GAME Round 5 - Knights vs Broncos

My thoughts on the knights game: That first half, despite losing it 7-0, was there to set up the second half and was pretty good. A couple of pretty bad mistakes and the play-the-balls were slow, but otherwise it was well played.
The second half was our chance to turn the screws. The knights at the end of the first half were out on their feet. Had we continued with the plan of playing them in their own half, we would have won it. We didn't. There was too much side to side and mistakes came.
In short, we pulled the trigger too early. This might sound crazy to a lot of you but despite the loss I wasn't too upset. There was a plan at work there. It might have been poorly executed, but none-the-less it was there. Think of the titans and the mess that was. The knights came to play and deserved the win but on another day with better execution, we win.
The way we played that first half, the repeat sets and wearing our opponents down, should be the blue print for every pack of big forwards we play against. If we just stay a little more patient, the rewards will come.

I think Browns comments are bang out of order tbh. Anything inside the game to me is fine, to bring in family related things is a fairly low act and a cheap shot imo. Imagine if Lodge said something like that.

Haha, nice one... pretend it was just a bait after being schooled.

I thought it was fairly obvious that was a bait.. I even revealed it was sarcasm before you even posted that. Another member picked that up.

Go through my posts and you will find posts where I’ve said exactly what you said...

I thought it was fairly obvious that was a bait.. I even revealed it was sarcasm before you even posted that. Another member picked that up.

Go through my posts and you will find posts where I’ve said exactly what you said...
So you take a sarcastic dig, and bait people about something you agree with? :lostit:
You do understand how sarcasm works, don't you?

A lot of people give Gallen shit for doing this too but I’m not sure if people realise or not that it is definitely part of a game plan and something they train for. Unless there is a very obvious opportunity to score on the forth, you get the ball your forward with the quickest play the ball and have them target the centre defence.

In theory, the quick play the ball gives your kickers more time because the defence has to set before rushing up, and it gives the hooker the option of passing to either of the kickers on each side of he field. If you spread the ball on the forth, now your winger or centre are playing the ball and you only have the option of passing it back in field which effects your kick selection, and is predictable to the defence. Not to mention it takes at least one of your best attacking threat (outside backs) out of the kick chase.

He has one or two dumb penalties in him per game but Moose is one of our best players consistently.

It happens too often for my liking.

It probably is a tactic, but it's a dumb one for us, because half the time we end up kicking it from our own 40m line and two tackles later the other side are already up to where we kicked it from. It's a stock play, yes, but it's boring as shit to watch and Kodi can't kick for shit, rather some one zip out of hooker on the 4th, don't even have to spread it all the way along the back line, but occasionally a pass or two I think would help.

I dunno if it's accuracy, or does Kodi just have a really, really weak boot on him? I haven't seen halves consistently make that little ground with kicks since Mitch Moses a few years back.

It happens too often for my liking.

It probably is a tactic, but it's a dumb one for us, because half the time we end up kicking it from our own 40m line and two tackles later the other side are already up to where we kicked it from. It's a stock play, yes, but it's boring as shit to watch and Kodi can't kick for shit, rather some one zip out of hooker on the 4th, don't even have to spread it all the way along the back line, but occasionally a pass or two I think would help.

Yeah there is probably a reasonable argument that it is over used, but I just don’t think it’s fair to blame Moose for doing the job asked of him. He’s in the position he’s meant to be, Macca has the right to not pass it to him on the fourth.

Why dont we bring in Isaako for 5th tackle kick meters?

Yeah there is probably a reasonable argument that it is over used, but I just don’t think it’s fair to blame Moose for doing the job asked of him. He’s in the position he’s meant to be, Macca has the right to not pass it to him on the fourth.

That is another thing that is over-looked, Macca's pass selection is dodgy sometimes, I often spot Milf waving his arms in the air in frustration at not getting the ball when/where he wants it.

The thing about Moose though is it is him doing it far too often, in conjunction with something SF mentioned recently about Moose's lack of offloading game - he used to be decent with the offloads. If we are past the half way line, that 4th tackle one out shit should not be used imo.

sublime -- ridic

On a better night these come out right and we win easy

I agree. This is why we pay this bloke the money we do, it’s also why we should me moulding the spine around him, no other #6 (barring 2016 Austin) looks as dangerous and instinctive as Milford.

I dunno if it's accuracy, or does Kodi just have a really, really weak boot on him? I haven't seen halves consistently make that little ground with kicks since Mitch Moses a few years back.

I tend to think its accuracy or more likely poor technique with a combination of poor vision, he has shown a tendency to strike the ball incorrectly with his boot on a number of occasions where it has flown in an entirely different direction then he intends. Even when he does hit them as he intends, they don't pressure the opposition to any great amount. I've given Milford a tough time with his kicking game in the past, but he is on a whole level better then that of Kodi and has at least occasionally produced the odd result with his boot. Don't take that as me saying it's acceptable, cause frankly it isn't, consistency is key. If Milford can't provide that, and Kodi looks certain he can't we sure as hell need someone who can.

If the Broncos want to turn things around, they need to get milford doing what he is doing best, playing it as he sees it(Porthoz I was wrong, hand raised). However that means getting in someone who can handle the pressures of general playmaking and kicking. Kodi isn't the answer, he would be far more effective off the bench for utility impact then playing him to be something he isn't. Highly unlikely it can be addressed this season, but sure as hell need to look for an answer for 2019 and beyond.

Last edited:
A lot of people give Gallen shit for doing this too but I’m not sure if people realise or not that it is definitely part of a game plan and something they train for. Unless there is a very obvious opportunity to score on the forth, you get the ball your forward with the quickest play the ball and have them target the centre defence.

In theory, the quick play the ball gives your kickers more time because the defence has to set before rushing up, and it gives the hooker the option of passing to either of the kickers on each side of he field. If you spread the ball on the forth, now your winger or centre are playing the ball and you only have the option of passing it back in field which effects your kick selection, and is predictable to the defence. Not to mention it takes at least one of your best attacking threat (outside backs) out of the kick chase.

He has one or two dumb penalties in him per game but Moose is one of our best players consistently.
Exactly what I said about 5th tackle slow play the ball. Force the markers to be one behind another and the defence stock still. Your quote has a fast play the ball but as you say, in theory. My idea works in practice because we control the speed and positioning of the defence, we take it out of the hands of the defence and the referees.

sublime -- ridic

On a better night these come out right and we win easy
This probably sums us up as a whole at this point.
Doing the 1% well at times, but keep failing miserably at the 99%.

Active Now

• marw
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.