Round 6 - Broncos vs Panthers

Lets go as soon as the head makes contact and drops straight to the ground. Clear sign of a head knock that requires a HIA. I guarantee the next player it happens to, they will be off.
Umm yeah, well clearly based on tonight's game, HIAs are not a problem for the Storm. Their whole spine copped knocks, only Pap went off, but passed his test. Are they serious..?

Umm yeah, well clearly based on tonight's game, HIAs are not a problem for the Storm. Their whole spine copped knocks, only Pap went off, but passed his test. Are they serious..?
How did he pass that seriously he was in Disneyland then was pretending his shoulder was stuffed cmon

How did he pass that seriously he was in Disneyland then was pretending his shoulder was stuffed cmon

The far worse one was the Munster one. He literally went off for 23 seconds officially, though unofficially he literally touched the card and went straight back on. This IS an issue that needs to be discussed. The rule is really important and the usual coaches are taking advantage of it and turning it into a way to cheat.

There needs to be a rule change to if you need a HIA, you are out for the game, no ifs or buts. Is it fair? Absolutely not but this is what it has come to thanks to Bellamy as usual.

Ben Cummins for me is the worst, he's actually got a nice little collection of some of the worst decisions you will ever see

Anasta got king hit by a Souths player, penalty went to Souths
Gillett got 10 in the bin for being offside after running 40m down field to make a tackle

The far worse one was the Munster one. He literally went off for 23 seconds officially, though unofficially he literally touched the card and went straight back on. This IS an issue that needs to be discussed. The rule is really important and the usual coaches are taking advantage of it and turning it into a way to cheat.

There needs to be a rule change to if you need a HIA, you are out for the game, no ifs or buts. Is it fair? Absolutely not but this is what it has come to thanks to Bellamy as usual.
Wait! I’m so slow but I only just realised if a bench player gets subbed on to replace someone who’s come off due to HIA, when that player passes the assessment and returns, the same bench player doesn’t have to go back off??? So it’s literally a free interchange??

I always assumed that say Croft had a head knock and came off to be assessed, and was replaced with Riki for example that when Croft was cleared and returned Riki would have to come back from the field but this isn’t the case? My god that’s dumb

I love jack reed's response. He made cummins look like an utter dumbass (which he is).

He fucked up twice there too, because he could have utilised a rule where he could say he accidently or blew his whistle in error and it would have just been a scrum to the attacking (team with territorial advantage) which is substantially better than us losing a player for 10 minutes.

For those who said if milford plays we win, that is arguable, but if we have A. Reynolds do we win? I think yes.

All right, third post on this. Genuine question, is dearden supposed to be a game controlling half or a ball running occasionally kicks it half? I’m not being smart or anything of the like, I’m just confused as he kinda just reminds me of Croft...not a horrible thing but is it what we’re looking for? I’ve been a detractor Of Milf as “most” of us have but his defence has improved in the last couple and I can’t help but feel if he was playing, we win that game off the back of his boot.

Again, I think it was the right thing to do from Kev, as it clearly set a standard and it showed tonight in the forwards.

I should just let it rest till next week see how he goes.

Just talking out loud really.
I've not seen him in his juniors or anything and I am far from an expert, but Ikin (back when he wanted to be CEO) indicated that he is a first receiver type half... so basically he wants his hands on the ball, he wants to be open side and playing the middle of the field.

When I've watched him play in NRL I feel like he's a BHunt 2014/15 lite... 14/15 Bhunt was god level halfback so a lite version is still pretty good. He likes to take it to the line and is strong enough to stand in the line and get through tacklers.

I think he has good vision and ball skills, but we're not often getting good ball for him to have opportunities to show that off a whole lot... last night Asiata created some serious room for him inside the 10m, but I dont think he was expecting it and instead cut back infield and the cover defence got him. Asiata put a little goose step on and caught the defence out. The outside defence rushed up and some came in on Asiata... it created some huge holes and with the defence committing and he could've picked a pass or put a kick in behind to really show his wares, but I think he was like "what the ****" and had a deer in headlights moment.

I'm not entirely convinced that he's a game manager, mainly because he wants to attack a lot... rather than kick for touch he'd probably want to kick early to grass, chase his own kick and make the tackle inside the 10m. In last night's game he was often involved in the chase on Croft's kicks. I kept having to check myself, because I was trying to figure out which side the halves were playing only to realise Dearden was coming from the left side of the field and being first tackler on the right side of the field kick chase.

Like 14/15 Bhunt he looks like a competitor and if he sees something I think he has the skills to get it done.. At the moment I think he's just not had a whole lot of consistency to get comfortable with what his role should be and we have created **** all for him to work from (quick ptb, etc.) and put **** all weapons around him to work with.

I think when he was introduced last year was when he was playing his most natural game (well as well as he can with the shit morale around him and limited development in ISC). Milf and Croft were both a shell of themselves and just sitting on an edge constricting themselves to within about 20-30m of field from the touchline... and Seibold/Gentle basically gave him the team, but then didn't really put a whole lot around him.

I think if we went back and looked at post game threads from the back half of last year there would be a lot of praise for Dearden, but annoyance at his kicking game and little things or moments that he probably got wrong, but I doubt there would be comments that he wasnt involved... there's a reason why everyone assumed Dearden would be our 7 out of the gate this year and that's because he was pretty good given he had a dumpster fire of a team around him.

Since Kevvie has brought him in he has basically parked him on an edge. To me he's basically wanting him to play a Luai role (Cleary controls the middle and Luai has his left edge with Kikau, Burton and Too).

I'd say he's only doing this to simplify his role and reduce the pressure on him... defend well, work with your edge, take some runs at the line and see if you can chime in with some attacking play, but Croft/Milf will control everything else... and it looks like he's playing the role Kevvie wants... hence why he sits on his edge and plays blindsides every now and then. Last night Croft did all the kicking and had control of the middle, whilst Dearden sat on the left edge waiting for the ball to come to him

Unfortunately I dont think it suits his game... or at least it doesnt at the moment, maybe he will become comfortable and start humming with his edge (although he's only got Glenn as his 2nd rower). I think he would go well as the dominant half, but probably in a few years time. If he's the dominant half now then all the pressure would be on him... like last year.

If we can string a few games together like we did last night, where the team is holding their own in the arm wrestle, then I think that will give him some opportunity to put some points on.

I'm not sure how the FIFO system is working at the moment, but I give us a reasonable chance vs parra primarily because it's in Darwin instead of a flat track bank west.... not saying he will light it up, but I think the team can play well (provided we arent FIFO on game day) and he may get some opportunities, because parra can get a little loose with their shooting out of the line, etc.

If Kevvie can gold his nerve with this spine for the next 4 weeks or so then I think we will start seeing a more comfortable Dearden and that will allow his awareness to come out a bit more.

We have parra (darwin), titans (home), cows (away) and manly (away) in the next 4 weeks. If we can keep the same roll on with our forwards and avoid floggings in the next 2 weeks especially, then I think we can start getting some attacking play in.

If cows and manly were at home there could've been a real chance for us to put 30 on both of them, but instead we'll have to do it on the road.

3 out of the next 4 on the road, but apparently NSWRL want a 2nd Brisbane team so there's a game at Suncorp every weekend ... seems like they dont even want a game at suncorp every second weekend looking at our draw 🙄🙄🙄

Not worth a penalty though 🙄

It would be nice if the club came out and really hit this one hard.

The ref cant claim that he didn't see it... you could see him point back to it (not sure why... usually it's to indicate playing advantage... maybe he was wagging his finger to indicate that he had the wrong jersey on)

The NSWRL and their media overlords love to harp on about protecting the kickers or halves when they're defenseless.

The fact he was charged with a grade 2 and nothing was done about it in the game. By either the ref or the bunker.

Sick of this club being an obedient little child to these incompetent morons... come out and defend yourselves and highlight the shit calls we constantly get.

Even tonight in the roosters vs storm game Hutchinson gets hit a split second after passing the ball even though he took it into the line... he decides to have a little lie down and the ref decides to give him a penalty after confirming he did in fact have a NSWRL jersey on.

The obvious bias in this "sport" is borderline fraudulent

They also got a few 'interesting' calls from the ref and apparently at least 4 more interchanges plus breaking the rules on Cleary. So essentially, they had to cheat to win. I woke up today still feeling extremely happy and extremely proud.
I recall during the call Eisenhuth went off for HIA after he laid down under the posts to allow then to even it up... and then he came back on for someone else who came off for a HIA.

I cant recall the timing of it all, but there is no way that Eisenhuth was off for 15mins before he was allowed to come back on... the timing seemed barely enough for him to even complete the HIA test

I haven't checked if it's been flagged on fox sports... likely not... but if so it's effectively rorting the interchange in a similar way to an interchange player coming on early (14 men on the field).

There should be huge uproar if they lied to the interchange to get Eisenhuth back on before 15mins had passed

I recall during the call Eisenhuth went off for HIA after he laid down under the posts to allow then to even it up... and then he came back on for someone else who came off for a HIA.

I cant recall the timing of it all, but there is no way that Eisenhuth was off for 15mins before he was allowed to come back on... the timing seemed barely enough for him to even complete the HIA test

I haven't checked if it's been flagged on fox sports... likely not... but if so it's effectively rorting the interchange in a similar way to an interchange player coming on early (14 men on the field).

There should be huge uproar if they lied to the interchange to get Eisenhuth back on before 15mins had passed
It was a free interchange for foul play.

You're allowed a free sub to take them off and another free sub to bring them back on.

Even tonight in the roosters vs storm game Hutchinson gets hit a split second after passing the ball even though he took it into the line... he decides to have a little lie down and the ref decides to give him a penalty after confirming he did in fact have a NSWRL jersey on.

I want to see how this compares to Fisher-Harris on Asiata on that late dummy and go play from Dearden. There was barely a second in it, but you see those penalised all the time and it took Asiata out of the next play.

Wait! I’m so slow but I only just realised if a bench player gets subbed on to replace someone who’s come off due to HIA, when that player passes the assessment and returns, the same bench player doesn’t have to go back off??? So it’s literally a free interchange??

I always assumed that say Croft had a head knock and came off to be assessed, and was replaced with Riki for example that when Croft was cleared and returned Riki would have to come back from the field but this isn’t the case? My god that’s dumb
That is exactly how it should work.

The second a player passes his HIA and the 15mins are up then whoever came on for him should then have to come off at the next convenient time (break in play or attacking set).

But that is too hard to rort (15 mins not being enough time to get a breather in I suppose)... so NSWRL likely bows down to whatever easts and co have to say on the matter.

It was a free interchange for foul play.

You're allowed a free sub to take them off and another free sub to bring them back on.

I want to see how this compares to Fisher-Harris on Asiata on that late dummy and go play from Dearden. There was barely a second in it, but you see those penalised all the time and it took Asiata out of the next play.
I understand that a player placed on report can get a free interchange, but it was Parker on the sideline that indicated "some confusion down here" and that Eisenhuth had passed his HIA and then subbed on for someone who was coming off for a HIA.

So potentially there is some back door rule that if you are subbed off for foul play (ie. a free interchange) and pass a HIA then you dont have the 15min waiting period... although I didn't recall the high shot being on report.

Also I recall the late shot on Asiata and remember being pissed off that it wasn't a penalty for a late hit as he took his back after passing. It would've been a soft penalty, but it has been a penalty for several years now and is something the media complain about (ie. protecting the ball players). I guess they only care when you wear a 1,6,7 or 9 and are from anywhere other than Brisbane.

I dont actually think the shot on Hutchinson should've even been a penalty as he was hit front on... so it wasnt even the classical "late" shot to the back after passing (which they mainly brought in because of the whip lash that occurs). He got the penalty because he laid down and roosters were down by 14 by that point so it was an easy penalty for the ref to give to see if they could even the contest up a bit

A world better effort. I am sure that Isaako would want that moment back and FMD, how in the world does Glenn start on this side? Just because he is a nice bloke doesn't mean he should have captaincy or a starting spot. How much more potent would the attack had been with JR in that spot?

A world better effort. I am sure that Isaako would want that moment back and FMD, how in the world does Glenn start on this side? Just because he is a nice bloke doesn't mean he should have captaincy or a starting spot. How much more potent would the attack had been with JR in that spot?
Riki should be bench only until he learns defence. I'm happy for Glenn to stay there and I hope KW makes it clear to Riki he'll get a starting spot if he shows significantly improved defence.

I've not seen him in his juniors or anything and I am far from an expert, but Ikin (back when he wanted to be CEO) indicated that he is a first receiver type half... so basically he wants his hands on the ball, he wants to be open side and playing the middle of the field.

When I've watched him play in NRL I feel like he's a BHunt 2014/15 lite... 14/15 Bhunt was god level halfback so a lite version is still pretty good. He likes to take it to the line and is strong enough to stand in the line and get through tacklers.

I think he has good vision and ball skills, but we're not often getting good ball for him to have opportunities to show that off a whole lot... last night Asiata created some serious room for him inside the 10m, but I dont think he was expecting it and instead cut back infield and the cover defence got him. Asiata put a little goose step on and caught the defence out. The outside defence rushed up and some came in on Asiata... it created some huge holes and with the defence committing and he could've picked a pass or put a kick in behind to really show his wares, but I think he was like "what the ****" and had a deer in headlights moment.

I'm not entirely convinced that he's a game manager, mainly because he wants to attack a lot... rather than kick for touch he'd probably want to kick early to grass, chase his own kick and make the tackle inside the 10m. In last night's game he was often involved in the chase on Croft's kicks. I kept having to check myself, because I was trying to figure out which side the halves were playing only to realise Dearden was coming from the left side of the field and being first tackler on the right side of the field kick chase.

Like 14/15 Bhunt he looks like a competitor and if he sees something I think he has the skills to get it done.. At the moment I think he's just not had a whole lot of consistency to get comfortable with what his role should be and we have created **** all for him to work from (quick ptb, etc.) and put **** all weapons around him to work with.

I think when he was introduced last year was when he was playing his most natural game (well as well as he can with the shit morale around him and limited development in ISC). Milf and Croft were both a shell of themselves and just sitting on an edge constricting themselves to within about 20-30m of field from the touchline... and Seibold/Gentle basically gave him the team, but then didn't really put a whole lot around him.

I think if we went back and looked at post game threads from the back half of last year there would be a lot of praise for Dearden, but annoyance at his kicking game and little things or moments that he probably got wrong, but I doubt there would be comments that he wasnt involved... there's a reason why everyone assumed Dearden would be our 7 out of the gate this year and that's because he was pretty good given he had a dumpster fire of a team around him.

Since Kevvie has brought him in he has basically parked him on an edge. To me he's basically wanting him to play a Luai role (Cleary controls the middle and Luai has his left edge with Kikau, Burton and Too).

I'd say he's only doing this to simplify his role and reduce the pressure on him... defend well, work with your edge, take some runs at the line and see if you can chime in with some attacking play, but Croft/Milf will control everything else... and it looks like he's playing the role Kevvie wants... hence why he sits on his edge and plays blindsides every now and then. Last night Croft did all the kicking and had control of the middle, whilst Dearden sat on the left edge waiting for the ball to come to him

Unfortunately I dont think it suits his game... or at least it doesnt at the moment, maybe he will become comfortable and start humming with his edge (although he's only got Glenn as his 2nd rower). I think he would go well as the dominant half, but probably in a few years time. If he's the dominant half now then all the pressure would be on him... like last year.

If we can string a few games together like we did last night, where the team is holding their own in the arm wrestle, then I think that will give him some opportunity to put some points on.

I'm not sure how the FIFO system is working at the moment, but I give us a reasonable chance vs parra primarily because it's in Darwin instead of a flat track bank west.... not saying he will light it up, but I think the team can play well (provided we arent FIFO on game day) and he may get some opportunities, because parra can get a little loose with their shooting out of the line, etc.

If Kevvie can gold his nerve with this spine for the next 4 weeks or so then I think we will start seeing a more comfortable Dearden and that will allow his awareness to come out a bit more.

We have parra (darwin), titans (home), cows (away) and manly (away) in the next 4 weeks. If we can keep the same roll on with our forwards and avoid floggings in the next 2 weeks especially, then I think we can start getting some attacking play in.

If cows and manly were at home there could've been a real chance for us to put 30 on both of them, but instead we'll have to do it on the road.

3 out of the next 4 on the road, but apparently NSWRL want a 2nd Brisbane team so there's a game at Suncorp every weekend ... seems like they dont even want a game at suncorp every second weekend looking at our draw 🙄🙄🙄
I like that comparison with bhunt (light), I’m in no way having a dig at him I’m just trying to put my finger on what we have in this guy. I just don’t see a game controlling type half but like you said more of a mix, that’s not a bad thing. I just don’t want us getting into a huge bidding war over him. I think he’ll be a good player for us.

Yeah nswrl is just a joke, our schedule is beyond ridiculous.

I personally thought it was great having Riki on the bench. These young guys need to earn their spots and Glenn is reliable but unremarkable. It’ll be better in the long run to make the young guys earn their positions. I think Niu will be far better for being dropped too.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Tim K
  • Fozz
  • GCBRONCO
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • teampjta
  • Bish
  • MrRobot
  • Mustafur
  • Skathen
  • bert_lifts
  • Brocko
  • NSW stables
  • Johnny92
  • sooticus
  • Dash
  • winslow_wong
  • kiwibronco
  • broncomax
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.