Round 6 - Broncos vs Panthers

I reckon Lodge can be our James Fisher-Harris. A tough hombre who does what he says. I never subscribed to the "game has passed him by theory". He was busted last year and never really got going. I was amazed how quickly some observers had forgotten how good he was on 2019.

He's looking slimmer, I think this is helping now.

I reckon Lodge can be our James Fisher-Harris. A tough hombre who does what he says. I never subscribed to the "game has passed him by theory". He was busted last year and never really got going. I was amazed how quickly some observers had forgotten how good he was on 2019.
There is a lot of superficial 'analysis' going around alright.
Lodge hasn't surprised me and once we knew what happened to him most should have just put their thoughts on pause. I know I did. When fit and motivated he aims up with the best so I thought I'd wait until he'd had an unhindered shot at it. It's as expected. Good forward play. Haas has improved a bit too and TPJ along with them.

I'm sure there were strange/missed calls that went both ways but we did seem to cop the damaging ones:

Dearden's head taken off, play on.
That compounding soft head high that led to Penrith's penalty goal.
The held but nah jokes play on for Luai to Kikau.
The held but nah bring it back no try to Dearden.
The constant blocking no calls by Burton.
The Staines running under Oates no call that led to their first try.
The phantom six again to allow Penrith up the ground and set up for their field goal (I think).
The advantage but nah call it back cos he dropped it to Capewell.
The all round HIA farce which gave Penrith basically 50% more interchanges and the non-HIA for Cleary.

I am not saying that all of these were right or wrong but when they pile on top of each other, they advantage one team over another and it is a shame we seem to be on the receiving end more often than not.

The thing I most liked was that last night it didn't lead us to dropping our heads for once.
Is there a worse ref than Grant Atkins? I mean they are all pretty hopeless but he genuinely looks like he doesn’t know what he’s doing.

Why aren't we rorting the HIA rule as well? If it's good enough for everyone else, let's get in on it. Imagine having an extra 4 interchanges last night. Jesus...

Corey Oates:

“It’s good to be back – I went and played a bit of Q Cup but it’s always good to come back to Suncorp Stadium and play NRL. It’s hard when you miss out, it really hits home pretty hard but it’s great to be back, this is my favourite place on earth to play. I just wanted to try to put my body on the line for the boys and to try to do the best I could for the team. We fell just shot but it was a really good performance I think, and we can take a lot out of it."

“We stuck in there, we ran hard, tackled hard for 80 minutes – I think that’s our best performance of the year by far. The boys just have to realise that if we do that each week then we’ll get results. It’s simple but that’s the sort of game we’ve got to play every week. We have the best fans in the comp and they really got behind us tonight and that helped our performance and that’s what we have to do - to play for them, whether we are at home or away.”

McHunt

Good to see that you have identified Coates only as the teams downfall you must be a NRL coach. Who tackles the other 2 players? Some people assess the game as a team effort, isn't that strange.
Nice way to miss the point. Read for intent not just what the words say. How about we call out Issako for his grubber we would be screaming brilliant if it came off. Head back to Bronxnation.

It was great to see Kevvie get his bellyache on during the pre-game speech. Too right give them hell, this is our turf and make sure the arrogant pricks like Penriff know they've been in a scrap. Some of the marks on the Penriff boys faces suggested they got fairly towelled up in the close contact work. Croft was quite inspirational with some of the hits he put on Kikau and TPJ was always there to lend a hand. Petro will give him a quiet pat on the back and tell him 'well done son, now the real work begins'. Because having shook the bad boy aggressor tag he now needs to follow this inspirational action man display up next week. Lodge was exceptional but needs to watch his ball security at all times. Capewell obviously done his homework and played directly at the ball.

Turps was another who seemed to thrive in the thick of it and it seemed him and Haas were driving each other on to get stuck into them.We finally got our bench right and if anything we could continue to swap Flegs and Kennedy throughout the year as Flegs still needs time to develop.

The ref was fairly consistent. that is, he seemed to stuff up calls all night. Why the bunker said nothing about Staines backing into Oates with no 'eyes' for the ball' was inexcusable, as was the blatant high shot on Deardon by Momirovski. That's two consecutive weeks Penrith players have whacked an opposition player and escaped untouched.

Oates and to a lesser degree Isaako's cover dfence saved us a few times. I was so used to seeing plays where the winger (Staines in this instance) runs to the line and then steps back inside to leave us cold. Last night Oates and Isaako went tactical nuclear on Staines and absolutely clobbered him before he had any chance of stepping. One of my favorite plays of the night.

Finally, if the ref had not been so hasty to blow the whistle when Penrith coughed the ball up under the sticks Wee Tommy was first to the ball and would've scored under the black dot. 18-12 and us with our tails up I think Penrith would have folded.

To all our members who whinged last week saying they'd seen no improvement since Kevvie took over last night's game must surely shut them up and get them onboard. It's a long hard road we need to travel and the hand Kevvie has been dealt is god awful putrid, but I have faith in him and last night proves beyond a doubt he can coach. Penrith were the picture of humility when the final hooter went. They know they were extremely lucky to get away with that one.

Well done boys - I'm so gald I decided to come out of my room for the second half. Now let's go one better and get some payback with Parra for the last few hidings they've gave us.
Why did the blow the whistle? Ball was still moving with Dearden closest, isn’t that play on

I’m not saying Dearden won’t improve, I’m saying we can’t wait for him and hope he gets better. If he’s wanting more than $300k a year I reckon let him go and try and get Reynolds. I’m sick of paying overs on potential, only for them to leave once they are good for a better offer.
We haven't even offered a contract so I doubt we'll go all in on someone still finding their feet . But to say he's shit when both Croft and Milford have been just as bad if not worse.

Is there a worse ref than Grant Atkins? I mean they are all pretty hopeless but he genuinely looks like he doesn’t know what he’s doing.
Ben Cummins for me is the worst, he's actually got a nice little collection of some of the worst decisions you will ever see

Anasta got king hit by a Souths player, penalty went to Souths
Gillett got 10 in the bin for being offside after running 40m down field to make a tackle

We haven't even offered a contract so I doubt we'll go all in on someone still finding their feet . But to say he's shit when both Croft and Milford have been just as bad if not worse.
I’m not saying to resign Croft or Milford though. I’m saying, as a club, we need to stop paying based off what they might one day become because it keeps failing for us. They finally get good after a few years and **** off for twice the money. For the price of Milford, Croft and Dearden we probably could have Adam Reynolds and Shaun Johnson. Or Reynolds and Nikorima, hell, probably Reynolds and Staggs if we want to take that route. That’s all I’m saying. We need to get the right players in the spine who can perform now, not in 2-3 years.

If Milford comes on as a sub (super)....we win that game.
I wasn't joking you *****..... 🙃

Thats how I think Anthony should be brought back in....as the super sub. Pretty much the same way the Raiders used him when he first come on in grade.

Provisos that he's tearing it up in the QRL. It should play out well for him...getting dropped. You look at the defence in the QRL and in general, it's woeful. He should be able to find the time and space he's been without for the last ...several, years and get his confidence up. He should come back firing......

he walks back in and Croft is running the show.....and as a sub....he can do whatever comes natural.

Croft surprised me last night....for the 1st time in a long time....we appeared to have some structure........we appeared to be semi organised.......
I'm baffled to know why it took Milford to be dropped for him to perform like that.......

Can he do it again....? Lets see.

You could be right of course
C'mon....you know its right.

ryan reynolds GIF

Why did the blow the whistle? Ball was still moving with Dearden closest, isn’t that play on
Mate I've given up trying to rationalise why the NRL is how it is now. All I know is we are at the bottom of their wish lists. How it must jar their every waking hour to know that a Queensland team is the biggest and most successful team in their precious N(SW)RL. The hypocrisy only goes unnoticed because the majority of supporters have been spoon-fed to believe all things bad about the Broncos.

if only we had of gone for the field goal with 10mins left when attacking inside their 20 instead of going for the kick to coates. changes everything.

I thought the same thing. I thought Croft had a clean shot right in front and could have got one away before the Panthers defence reacted. They weren’t rushing up on him.

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • Sproj
  • broncos4life
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Johnny92
  • Bongo
  • Mustafur
  • Lurker
  • Allo
  • Broncs1459
  • kiwi2
  • Mick_Hancock
  • MrMoore
  • Tim K
  • Wolfie
  • LittleDavey
  • broncoscope
  • OzeMike
  • Turks85
  • broncsgoat
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.