POST GAME Round 6 - Broncos vs Roosters

I was actually talking about the Glenn penalty earlier, where I'm sure Gould was saying that if Glenn didn't go off for a concussion test then the penalty was basically a farce. So they pushed that point twice, in my recollection.

With the Glenn penalty, the commentators were actually referring to an argument Pearce was having with the ref. Pearce said how is it a penalty if he didn't go off for concussion. Gould (could've been Rabs) explained what Pearce had said than laughed it off by saying "I'm not sure how that'd hold up in court".

I don't remember the second time it was brought up concerning Milf but it's possible it was a callback to the Pearce thing.

Re: Maranta

It's harsh to ping him on his drop goal defense leap. It was a desperate attempt to save the game. It could possibly have been the biggest knock on ever but surely it must have gone backwards and rebounded off the crossbar.

It's not like Hunt was running around with his head screwed on either (shabby drop goal attempts and offload) which I think contributed, along with most players standing around like game over, to his 80min stuff up with the pass.

We know he doesn't bend the line so passing it to Vidot for a hit up isn't a bad option which he did twice. He is starting to find gaps which hasn't really been an option for him in a long time on the wing (apart from being completely unmarked right on the try line).

He was the first to tackle JWH off the rebound so no one was offside at that point (if Maranta didn't get a hand to it JWH was offside).
JWH spilled the ball at that point and Maranta did well to gather it,put himself around the defender and offload to Hunt in clear space (only for hunt to lose it with a bad offload).

Last edited:
Re: Round 6 -Broncos vs Roosters

Okay, so having finally watched the replay, a couple of things.

Awesome effort by pretty much everybody, especially Thaiday.
**** JWH. Should have been sat down for 10, since the ref promised to do it in the first half.
Milford is still clearly working out how to fit in with our style of play (hardly surprising since everybody else is too!). The out-in between he and Hunt was great, and only prevented from being a try by a great cover tackle.
Hunt's short kicking can still improve. In fact I think Milf should be in charge of kicks close to the line, he seems to be able to find gaps better than Ben.
We're still relying on Ben a bit too much, but that's probably true for the majority of teams, except maybe the dogs.
Maranta... expect a rocket or 10, positionally quite bad at FB, but not terrible for 3rd/4th choice (as WB said in the press conference). A good FB would have defended Cordner's try.
Nikorima's no-try, I thought it was stripped, and so if not a try, should have been a play the ball. Also copped a hit in the face while placing the ball. Are we doing penalty tries, or are we not?
Second half started at 47:35, the replay only went for 35 minutes, and I don't recall any edits/cuts on the tape. I have no idea if it actually went 40 minutes.

Overall like everyone's said, it's really great to see the effort and some self belief come through this team. There's a lot of talent there, if we can just get the confidence to stick with it. But most of all, it's a pleasure to watch again!

Have to agree with this. It seems to me that Maranta could pull off one of the most athletic efforts to score a try and people would still be criticising and saying there was an insufficient degree of difficulty. He was so safe at the back, any though of attacking bombs were nullified. Re his returns, he is not Vidot's size or weight, if he runs into three tacklers like what was occurring last night, he will get taken down. On his returns he was consistently looking for a gap and trying to step through. He made a couple of mistakes but overall his game was very solid I thought.

Safe at the back ?! Watch their first try and explain to me how safe he was.

Also, his excuse for running the ball back like child from the Under 5's is his size ? Mate there have been countless players who lack the size to compete with others, yet they always give their all with each run.
Remember a bloke called Khunt ?

I'm not going to comment on Maranta's game, but when I see someone saying he was "safe" I have to try and bring them back to reality.

All in all, a great win by a solid team.

It could possibly have been the biggest knock on ever but surely it must have gone backwards and rebounded off the crossbar.

That's my take on it, it would only be a knock on if he went full NBA Jam on it and slapped it down. Still think he almost tickled it over which would have changed the tone of this thread ever so slightly. Fair enough it was a desperate defending tactic that is the kind of attitude we want, but coupled with the 80 min pass and it's hard to not get somewhat annoyed at him at the end there.

Certainly was a very safe pair of hands all night long though!

Safe at the back ?! Watch their first try and explain to me how safe he was.

Also, his excuse for running the ball back like child from the Under 5's is his size ? Mate there have been countless players who lack the size to compete with others, yet they always give their all with each run.
Remember a bloke called Khunt ?

I'm not going to comment on Maranta's game, but when I see someone saying he was "safe" I have to try and bring them back to reality.

All in all, a great win by a solid team.

How many 4th string fullbacks would catch every bomb and make 0 errors a game? Screams safe to me.

The kid did well.

How many 4th string fullbacks would catch every bomb and make 0 errors a game? Screams safe to me.

The kid did well.

Whatever you think you of Maranta - you don't beat a team like the Roosters with someone bad at the back. He did enough, but sooner than later, enough will be insufficient

Agree about Milford. We've broken him. But the alternative is not having a genuine 5/8..

Haha oh man. I want to respond but I can only respond to this with a smart ass comment. Just ridiculous..

When the Roosters got their first penalty....in the first set.....a roosters supporter behind us yelled "They've been doing it all day sir!!!" The game was roughly 1min old lol. I fucking lost it!!!

This happens every game. I'm even guilty of yelling it a few times. Always gets a good laugh but hardly original.

Shout-out to Mark Gasnier who said on Fox last night that the Broncos a) are on the slide, and b) are no chance against the Rooters.

Gasnier is a prick. I don't think he has ever tipped the Broncos either. He's a massive twat.

Watching the Roosters press conference and Robinson raises a good point.

If they want to remove stoppages from the game, they need to get away from this system where video referees can refer head high tackles. While I've seen players stay down for less, I must admit I was disappointed to see Milford fox for a penalty late in the game. There are just certain things you don't want to see from your players and diving is one of them for me.

Was relieved when the Broncos weren't awarded a penalty. By rights, they could have got one, he was hit across the cheek but it seemed more like a scrape if anything.

I'm worried our game is turning into soccer. Every team is doing it now. Like wrestling, we can't win if we fall behind on these things. It's fair game if everyone is doing it, in my book.

The refs had a pretty good game for mine, so I'm not going to complain over a couple of missed penalties. They didn't influence the game in any way, and we've finally seen a cracking game of football from the Broncos.

Both teams deserved 1 point last night.

They were laying on us all night and getting away with it. I really do not understand why there weren't more penalties. Also, Pearce and Maloney attack the head in almost every tackle.

Definitely not perfect, but the intensity was there that I don't think I've seen for a long long time, especially from the forwards who early on were on a mission to dominate what many would consider a superior forward pack. Biggest plus is we did it without Hodges, Kahu and Boyd.

I had a thought about Hodges. If he was there how much control would he have attempted to take in the last few minutes and where would it have got us? He tends to try too hard and makes it hard on everyone else.

I am also one who never ever wanted Thaiday in the front row and now, if I knew with certainty that we would get that performance or close to it on a weekly basis, I would pick him there every time. I say that without even having seen the game, just by the comments, by WBs presser, by the MOM award. I would be happy with McGuire and Thaiday swapping their roles and having Blair and Thaiday start. McGuire can be creative as was demonstrated clearly with Samoa.

As for your last comment Bman, please can we let AP come back..it would be such fun !!!!!

Nah he can wander around and take his frustration out on something else. Not mentioning him at all is the biggest insult to him.

Oh, it is so good to see that at last, someone is teaching the players proper tackling technique, and to play for each other.

Along with Thaiday's superb hits, with a few rare exceptions, the defence overall was seriously good. All kudos to Bennett

When is the last time this side has really hit the attack with real stinging hits?

Last edited:

The kid did well.

You completely ignored my point about his kick returns, and I don't know about you but I'd call not even attempting to stop the first try an error.

Re: Maranta

It's harsh to ping him on his drop goal defense leap. It was a desperate attempt to save the game. It could possibly have been the biggest knock on ever but surely it must have gone backwards and rebounded off the crossbar.

It's not like Hunt was running around with his head screwed on either (shabby drop goal attempts and offload) which I think contributed, along with most players standing around like game over, to his 80min stuff up with the pass.

We know he doesn't bend the line so passing it to Vidot for a hit up isn't a bad option which he did twice. He is starting to find gaps which hasn't really been an option for him in a long time on the wing (apart from being completely unmarked right on the try line).

He was the first to tackle JWH off the rebound so no one was offside at that point (if Maranta didn't get a hand to it JWH was offside).
JWH spilled the ball at that point and Maranta did well to gather it,put himself around the defender and offload to Hunt in clear space (only for hunt to lose it with a bad offload).

It did.

I think Maranta touched it, but if you listen carefully you can hear the thud from when the ball hits the bar.

Last edited:
You completely ignored my point about his kick returns, and I don't know about you but I'd call not even attempting to stop the first try an error.

and Darius Boyd will do no better. People better get used to that ......

Last edited:
Boyd will offer far more in attack then Maranta. Maranta is doing well at fullback. He made a few mistakes, but he is just a stop gap there. I dont really expect more than what he is doing tbh.

Why don't the NRL just introduce a rule where if you stay down in a tackle after being hit in the head, you HAVE to go for a concussion test? If you stay down so the vid ref can give you a penalty, you should have to go off for a test. I mean, you're staying down coz you are hurt aren't u?...not coz ur being a grub and milking a penalty... So there should be no reason u don't need a concussion test.

absolutely no reason not to introduce this rule. Makes sense and had no drawbacks

There is one potential drawback ...

I raised this point a few days ago and [MENTION=8215]Morkel[/MENTION] (i think it was) raised a good point ... since it is a free interchange to go off for a concussion test (and to come back on after the test), then teams will potentially start exploiting this rule too to get themselves more interchanges

11150412_10152817723528543_7550237205363551995_n.jpg

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • BroncosAlways
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Battler
  • eazy-duzzit
  • Xzei
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.