Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Maybe my knowledge of football is lacking and I'm happy to be shown that, if that is the case, but why does anything we do in defence, have an impact on how we attack?

Why does it seem so unlikely, that a good defensive team, can also be a good, or dare I hope for it, even great, attacking side?

We have players with plenty of pace in our side, plenty of skill with running and passing games and as has been shown more prominently this year, a pretty reasonable short attacking kicking game.

So why can't we defend AND attack well? Why does it have to be an either / or situation?

The tools are there as someone mentioned. Why the hell are we afraid to use them?
We can defend and attack well. 2015 showed that!

The problem in my opinion, is Bennett's tactics and coaching... and it isn't a new thing.
This was what some of us feared when he was hired back, but 2015 came along, and WB's detractors (including me) were proven wrong... or were we?

2015 was the only season with Wayne as Head Coach, where the Broncos played attractive attacking footy from start to finish since pretty much 2000, but it all went quickly down the drain with Walters departure, and we're now back to the same dour footy where we rely on keeping the opposition to a low score, and hope our stars conjure enough points to win...
Problem is we don't have a Lockyer or a controlling halves combo like Soward/Hornby, to vindicate WB's tactics.

B

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2015
I was hoping moga would be the centre we all wanted but every time he runs, his knees just make me think of peanut brittle.

Moga needs time. If he can have an extended run without injury he'll be a good player. I thought he had a couple of nice touches against the Bulldogs where he was able to easily fend off the first man. Fans just need to be patient with him.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Napa being out should help a little bit.

God I hope we train some set plays this week, watching the Tigers this afternoon was almost a carbon copy of us:

Tackle 1: one out hit-up
Tackle 2: one out hit-up
Tackle 3: one out hit-up
Tackle 4: two out hit-up
Tackle 5: pass to fullback standing flat, turnover.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Napa being out should help a little bit.

God I hope we train some set plays this week, watching the Tigers this afternoon was almost a carbon copy of us:

Tackle 1: one out hit-up
Tackle 2: one out hit-up
Tackle 3: one out hit-up
Tackle 4: two out hit-up
Tackle 5: pass to fullback standing flat, turnover.

What exactly do the broncos work on at training?

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Kahu to centre is weakening two positions. It's not going to happen.

Opacic may come back in though.

CAnt see Tommy being ready for at least a month. He will struggle if we throw him in too early. He has had no pre season and wont play until next weekend for Redcliffe.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Moga needs time. If he can have an extended run without injury he'll be a good player. I thought he had a couple of nice touches against the Bulldogs where he was able to easily fend off the first man. Fans just need to be patient with him.

I think he could be a good player, but i think he needs pulling out of the team for his own good.

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
1 up hit ups are ok if:
A they follow a big forward bending/breaking the line.
B they come with quick play-the-balls
C they are followed by an attcking play when momentum is with you, or a solid touch finder/ repeat set grubber when it isnt .
If they arent theyre at best a wasted tackle or at worse a momentum killer

Mitch06

Mitch06

NRL Player
Jan 23, 2014
CAnt see Tommy being ready for at least a month. He will struggle if we throw him in too early. He has had no pre season and wont play until next weekend for Redcliffe.
He can do fitness work while his shoulder is rehabbing . He doesn't just sit around til it's full healed and then start. But you could be right, Moga might be harder than people think to usurp him.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
He can do fitness work while his shoulder is rehabbing . He doesn't just sit around til it's full healed and then start. But you could be right, Moga might be harder than people think to usurp him.

It will be more the contact to his shoulders and his actual match sharpness that will be his issue. Most footballers will be fairly fit

meady

meady

QCup Player
Oct 19, 2016
Meady was very dangerous for Wynnum this weekend and is applying the pressure. If Opa returns this weekend he's marking him. A good yard stick for WB

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
1 up hit ups are ok if:
A they follow a big forward bending/breaking the line.
B they come with quick play-the-balls
C they are followed by an attcking play when momentum is with you, or a solid touch finder/ repeat set grubber when it isnt .
If they arent theyre at best a wasted tackle or at worse a momentum killer

This. If you watch Taumalolo, most of the time he is ready behind the play-the-ball for the majority of the set. It's only when another runner pushes the line back or gets a fast PTB that Taumalolo takes the next run. That way he's up against a scattered or retreating defence, and it's on the back of his run that Thurston and Morgan play. If there is no dominant run, Taumalolo is nowhere near as effective, and the set can almost be considered a write-off.

It kind of irks me when people argue that our attacking is boring and we need to throw it around more. Against the Dogs, we went to both sides quite frequently, and often with a bit of depth and ball-playing (going out the back, using a forward as a decoy etc). And it did **** all but halt any progress, because we hadn't impacted their defensive line on the previous play. In this case, one-outs are really the best option, albeit it is much better to have another forward running in tandem to not give the defence an easy target.

K-Style

K-Style

NRL Player
Jun 1, 2014
Meady was very dangerous for Wynnum this weekend and is applying the pressure. If Opa returns this weekend he's marking him. A good yard stick for WB

If Meady had been running in support for Gubb instead of Barr they would have levelled the game against Mackay. Where were you Meady!??

I only caught the end of last weekends game and it looked like it was getting messy. Referees missed 2 Falcons knock ons according to the commentators, which was closely followed by Burns throwing a punch after getting head-highed.

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
I think Mead can stay in reserves and give Seve ago.

P

Pushkin

QCup Player
May 27, 2016
I think Mead can stay in reserves and give Seve ago.
Seve got injured yesterday game. I don't know how serious is. He got injured second half and didn't return to play. Hopefully it's not that serious.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Seve got injured yesterday game. I don't know how serious is. He got injured second half and didn't return to play. Hopefully it's not that serious.
Leg got caught up under a tackle, don't think he'll be playing for a few weeks

meady

meady

QCup Player
Oct 19, 2016
If Meady had been running in support for Gubb instead of Barr they would have levelled the game against Mackay. Where were you Meady!??

I only caught the end of last weekends game and it looked like it was getting messy. Referees missed 2 Falcons knock ons according to the commentators, which was closely followed by Burns throwing a punch after getting head-highed.
Wynnum could have won that game easy if they lifted intensity earlier. Burns is going to keep throwing them if he keeps getting hit late after kicks.

Roberts sitting a week out could be a blessing in disguise. Kahu might look alot more comfortable defending on the right side which could tempt coach to switch Roberts to the left on return.

Then you'd have the strong defensive pairing of Roberts n Milf :notevensayingit:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Fozz
  • Old Mate
  • Harry Sack
  • Kev_Guz
  • Fitzy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • broncsgoat
  • Browny
  • azza.79
  • Santa
  • Bucking Beads
  • Big Del
  • Xzei
  • Mick_Hancock
  • bb_gun
  • lakers133334
  • Gaz
  • Stix
  • Broncosarethebest
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.