10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

broncoscope

NYC Player
Feb 14, 2014
The fact they extended Kev for 2 more years in the off-season says to me that he isn't going anywhere in a hurry. I think regardless of what happens this year, bar a wooden spoon he'll get the benefit of the doubt. Come rounds 5-10 next year - if we're still shit that's when they'll be seriously looking to move him on.

I can't see any big changes again this week:

1. Cobbo
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Farnworth
5. Periera / Hoeter
6. Walters
7. Arey
8. Jensen
9. Turnip
10. Haas
11. Capewell
12. Riki
13. Hetherington

14. James
15. Robati
16. Flegler
17. Paix

Would love to see Gamble get a run at 6, purely for the mongrel. Could drop Walters back to the bench at the expense of Paix - but I can't see Kevvie doing it.
Palasia ???

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
The fact they extended Kev for 2 more years in the off-season says to me that he isn't going anywhere in a hurry.

nice one ... i didn't hear about this happening.

I knew he is in the second year of his initial 2 year contract, and he extended for an additional 12 months making his term 3 years total.

IMO, year 3 is the make or break year (unless exceptional circumstances, like Seibold for instance). it doesn't really matter the club, i firmly believe that all coaches should get 3 years to fix things, if they can't then you move them on. remembering that if the previous coach has been sacked, then it's highly likely things aren't in great shape anyway

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Kevvie:

‘Turps’ has been very brave for us this season. He was our most consistent player last year. Matt Ballin (Broncos assistant coach and former Queensland Origin hooker) has been working with Turps on his attacking game at training. Cory was very good for us in pre-season, so he is pushing hard for an opportunity and I am aware of that.”​
“We will get there. There were plenty of lessons that we can take out of the Penrith game. I’m OK with where we are at. It’s only round six so our target is to go with teams like the Panthers at the back end of the season. If we can do that, which I believe we can, we will be a different footy side.”​
McHunt

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
I'm not worried about his 1 on 1 defence tbh. Couldn't be worse then nius. But that costs 1 try a game, and not certain to save them if you are great as a fullback 1 on 1.
The problem is his communication, positioning, anticipation of play and counting numbers from fullback. You don't get better at that playing on the wing, no matter what level you play at...
Those easy run throughs from 2nd row by the panthers weren't just poor defensive efforts, the numbers and line position were all wrong and they happened once cobbo went back there.

So Capewell moving to centre , Hoeter to wing Selwyn to full back ,then losing a middle player . didn`t disrupt team work or positioning . It was all Cobbos fault ? Jeez hard task master .

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013

He has played fullback before right? I would still put him in at five-eighth though. We need some spark in the halves.

I'm just glad he is actually in contention for an NRL game. I didn't think he would actually be a legitimate option this year.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
So Capewell moving to centre , Hoeter to wing Selwyn to full back ,then losing a middle player . didn`t disrupt team work or positioning . It was all Cobbos fault ? Jeez hard task master .
Not saying it was ALL his fault. In fact he probably played the smallest role by a large margin, the inside and outside defenders were both lazy qnd switched off. However, a large reason good defensive sides are good defensive sides are bcos the fullback is screaming at those players to watch inside/outside and making sure numbers are right on either side to let those players just focus on the ball carrier rather then what could happen

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Not saying it was ALL his fault. In fact he probably played the smallest role by a large margin, the inside and outside defenders were both lazy qnd switched off. However, a large reason good defensive sides are good defensive sides are bcos the fullback is screaming at those players to watch inside/outside and making sure numbers are right on either side to let those players just focus on the ball carrier rather then what could happen

So what we need is to recruit a screamer ?
That will stop TC Robati and Jordan Riki getting stepped ?

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
If we want to get him into the team (and I'm not against it), fullback just does not seem the right place to do it. You could play him at 6 and get him, Cobbo and Herbie to essentially do 20-30 minutes there each and see how they go. This is NOT ideal obviously but given we basically have no ready fullback option, it probably needs to be done. So I'd go (if TMM is coming in):

1. Cobbo
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Hoeter
5. Farnworth
6. Martin
7. Reynolds
8. Palasia
9. Walters
10. Haas
11. Capewell
12. Riki
13. Hetherington

14. Paix
15. Flegler
16. Jensen
17. Turpin

Do I think this is a great team? Heck no but I think it needs a bit of tweaking and Turpin could play lock and interchange with Hetherington. We really need that defensive starch in the middle and this rotation would provide that and it gets Turpin out of 9 while taking advantage of his defensive strength.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018

Did not see that coming. Tells us two things:

Kevvie does not (yet) trust Selwyn at the back
Herbie's not in the running for 1 (or struggling with his fitness).

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
So what we need is to recruit a screamer ?
That will stop TC Robati and Jordan Riki getting stepped ?
Way to over simplify it... why don't we recruit some "tacklers" and some "passers" and some "runners " in attack too. Then all we will need to do is score more points then the opposition! We should win then!

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
He has played fullback before right? I would still put him in at five-eighth though. We need some spark in the halves.

I'm just glad he is actually in contention for an NRL game. I didn't think he would actually be a legitimate option this year.
he is listed as five eight/ fullback and did play there for the Cowboys before his brain bleed.
brave move by Kevvie if it does eventuate, it leaves the team in their existing positions and adds more ball playing . it'll either be a masterstroke or a disaster...

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019
Does anyone know where he played coming up through the ranks? I know he’s been in halves but was he a fb before?

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Martin's last game was by far his best this season- beating Dolphins puts a skip in anyone's step.

He has looked shy; but last game he didn't run more- in fact he hasn't run much at all in the ISC but he started having the confidence to kick and scored his first try- just backing up a big run on the inside and scoring untouched but it's all confidence building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• eggstar10
  • Rowdy124
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.