10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Martin's last game was by far his best this season- beating Dolphins puts a skip in anyone's step.

He has looked shy; but last game he didn't run more- in fact he hasn't run much at all in the ISC but he started having the confidence to kick and scored his first try- just backing up a big run on the inside and scoring untouched but it's all confidence building.
Yeah, I haven’t watched to much cup this year but I think the perfect way to describe his play style so far especially running is shy. I haven’t seen the recent games so I’m probably not the best to comment so I guess how has his defence been? And I see the errors are creeping up, are they handling or more just an over playing his hand issue?

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I'm not surprised by the Martin selection, I thought his name was surprisingly being kept absent from the fullback discussion considering some of the other options floated.

I don't like the move though. Martin hasn't played at this level in 3 years and when he last played fullback he really struggled positionally. I don't mind having alternative arrangements in case Cobbo struggles but surely you stick with Cobbo and give him first crack? That's where he made his name last year and I can't recall any other fullback in recent years making such an impact at QCup level.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
I'm not surprised by the Martin selection, I thought his name was surprisingly being kept absent from the fullback discussion considering some of the other options floated.

I don't like the move though. Martin hasn't played at this level in 3 years and when he last played fullback he really struggled positionally. I don't mind having alternative arrangements in case Cobbo struggles but surely you stick with Cobbo and give him first crack? That's where he made his name last year and I can't recall any other fullback in recent years making such an impact at QCup level.
I agree but I can't help but think there's something up with cobbo fitness-wise at the moment. Last 2 games he seems to have gotten a little bit quicker and been more involved but the 1st 4 games he looked like he was running on a treadmill a few times and he stayed out of the play. He's either come back underdone in preseason and is playing catch up, or maybe covid hit him hard.
Wouldn't be good for his career if he goes into some must win broncos games at fullback after all the hype and completely flunks it. Walters might be protecting him a bit here...

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018

I would much prefer TMM be the scape goat over Cobbo who just isn’t clearly ready. Although I think everyone has given up on finals realistically and developing Cobbo and maybe even Mam (once we are mathematically out of the equation not just yet) for that matter at this level might be the right thing to do. Cause at the moment Cobbo just isn’t going to go back to Q-cup and his ball playing and defense needs some serious work. It’s a tough one. I don’t think their is a clear cut pathway that will obviously work with Cobbo but lets hope he is god later down the track cause he is causing more headaches than he is solving.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Wouldn't be good for his career if he goes into some must win broncos games at fullback after all the hype and completely flunks it. Walters might be protecting him a bit here...
He at least deserves the opportunity, especially when the alternative is Martin.

I would much prefer TMM be the scape goat over Cobbo who just isn’t clearly ready. Although I think everyone has given up on finals realistically and developing Cobbo and maybe even Mam (once we are mathematically out of the equation not just yet) for that matter at this level might be the right thing to do.
I'd much rather pick the best candidate than tank a position because we're worried about a player's long term future who may or may not come good.

It's not like we're talking about Jye Grey.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
He at least deserves the opportunity, especially when the alternative is Martin.

I'd much rather pick the best candidate than tank a position for a player who may or may not become a star of the game.
I probably worded it wrong. I genuinely view it as a 50/50 on who you go with like I can’t say how disappointed and how poor Cobbo has been with his opportunities at fullback so I would possibly go with TMM just because he can probably handle these pressures a bit better whilst actually being possibly more serviceable without being electric. Because we see what happened with Tesi and he is currently a million times better at fullback than Selwyn and only a year older and he got chewed up and spat out. I don’t think I have felt that bad for a 20 year old with the amount of slander he received because of his performances which really I put on the back of the club not himself for 2 reasons. Not having anybody better, and not developing him properly. Wasn’t Tesi’s fault that he was the best option of a bad bunch.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
It’s the same as the 5/8th conundrum, with the options available who tf knows who the least bad choice is.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Another Kevin head scratcher, if there was ever a team to blood the young fella, it’s the bulldogs.
It’s not blooding him for a game and all will be well. This bloke has to play at fullback for realistically months. He can’t do that, I’m sorry. He isn’t fit enough for the wing let alone FB, his attack is 1/5th as potent as it was in cup, and his structural play on both sides of the ball is horrible. He is not ready and you are going to ruin the poor bastard. Take one hint and one look at Tesi the 20 year old is at a cross roads in his career because none of you have patience and have the highest of expectations he shits on Selwyn in just about every facet of FB except high balls.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013

yep and i reckon that will probably be the way it will go, Cobbo gets first crack and Martin trains as the back up

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
It’s not blooding him for a game and all will be well. This bloke has to play at fullback for realistically months. He can’t do that, I’m sorry. He isn’t fit enough for the wing let alone FB, his attack is 1/5th as potent as it was in cup, and his structural play on both sides of the ball is horrible. He is not ready and you are going to ruin the poor bastard. Take one hint and one look at Tesi the 20 year old is at a cross roads in his career because none of you have patience and have the highest of expectations he shits on Selwyn in just about every facet of FB except high balls.

So you reckon TMM is? A guy who has been out of the game for like three years and hasn't really ever played the position with any great consistency?

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
So you reckon TMM is? A guy who has been out of the game for like three years and hasn't really ever played the position with any great consistency?

maybe not ... but better to ruin TMM than Cobbo

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
maybe not ... but better to ruin TMM than Cobbo

That is such a defeatist mindset. This is the Bulldogs, we should be favourites. Cobbo gave a pretty good account of himself at fullback after Niu went off last week, give him a chance there and see how he goes. If he is struggling in three weeks from now, by all means, give TMM the poisoned chalice.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Like you are all jizzing yourselves that we are going to play this bloke who tee’d off against cup teams last year. TMM don’t get me wrong won’t be amazing. But Selwyn at this stage in his career is atrocious (at FB). Like new level ATROCIOUS at that position. He has no lateral movement, no ball playing ability, little support play, no game awareness, no ability to play within a structure both defensively and offensively and the inability to set and communicate about defensive structures in the line. The only thing Tesi doesn’t do of them is defend well structurally. He doesn’t do any of them amazingly but he does them. I can tell you TMM does a lot of those things better than Selwyn. We have the most error prone player in the comp from the wing at 19 years of age and you guys want to chuck him at fullback. Poor **** isn’t ready and won’t handle it and in a matter of weeks TMM will likely be up to speed.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
That is such a defeatist mindset. This is the Bulldogs, we should be favourites. Cobbo gave a pretty good account of himself at fullback after Niu went off last week, give him a chance there and see how he goes. If he is struggling in three weeks from now, by all means, give TMM the poisoned chalice.

it would be great if we could play the Bulldogs every week ... unfortunately we can't

let's not ruin the kids confidence who has literally just admitted he is just now getting used to the intensity of NRL footy and that is on the wing.

his most recent quote also suggests that fullback isn't even his preferred position (it is something the fans want)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Scdeac
  • Jedhead
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Culhwch
  • HarryAllan7
  • marw
  • Cavalo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.