10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
With cobbo likely to play fullback it begs the question... wouldn't we be in a far better position if cobbo was playing fullback in qld cup until now or at least for a few games?

K

kman

QCup Player
Aug 8, 2021
Alot of people want to see Herbie at fullback and be given a chance to play there but it just won't happen. He has had no training at fullback (correct me if I'm wrong) the club sees him as a centre and Herbie must see himself as only a centre.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
With cobbo likely to play fullback it begs the question... wouldn't we be in a far better position if cobbo was playing fullback in qld cup until now or at least for a few games?
Yes and no.. the physicality and speed side of things playing in the NRL would be beneficial to him also little things like playing Infront of a big crowd might not seem like much but nerves could be something for a quiet kid like Selwyn.
In cup he would of benefitted from actually playing that position, getting positioning right
I hope he's atleast been having stints at fullback at training so he's somewhat familiar what the attacking plays.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Cobbo at fullback seems to be a bit more shorta term pain for long term gain. The club will get a real good look at how muchi money he’s worth in the coming weeks. If he plays like his last few moments at fullback his contract offer will surely plummet.
It's kind of a good thing for us. His bargaining power will either plummet, or we win some games and have a certain path moving forward - which financially we should be in a position to do given 2 years until his contract runs out and lots of losses happened/happening.

I'm not sold on cobbo but I am hoping he just isn't a good winger. He has always played well at centre and fullback at either qld cup and nrl level

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
It's kind of a good thing for us. His bargaining power will either plummet, or we win some games and have a certain path moving forward - which financially we should be in a position to do given 2 years until his contract runs out and lots of losses happened/happening.

I'm not sold on cobbo but I am hoping he just isn't a good winger. He has always played well at centre and fullback at either qld cup and nrl level
Thought he was great on the wing v Panthers. Plenty of raw ability but needs a lot of work.

He us able to sign elsewhere in November.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013

No, Wynnum have been terrible bar the last game. So he wouldn’t have had the luxury of floating around running. He would have had to do grunt work and struggle along. He would have learned more playing for the Broncos.

Mairner has suffered the last month. They’ve moved him to the wing now.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Last year Macca I would say yes, but I think Macca has regressed significantly this year... and dragons still have him on the books next year. Nice one Griffdog

Dont get me wrong, i dont think he is improving. Our options though are that ineffective right now i think i'd actually prefer him!

Suspicious Meme GIF by MOODMAN

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
No, Wynnum have been terrible bar the last game. So he wouldn’t have had the luxury of floating around running. He would have had to do grunt work and struggle along. He would have learned more playing for the Broncos.

Mairner has suffered the last month. They’ve moved him to the wing now.
Grunt work under pressure and lots of defensive fullback work is exactly what he needs though. His running game doesn't need work at the moment, it will do (will need to improve but will get him by, same with ball play, he doesn't need it YET).. I think it would give him more then playing wing on a side getting belted every second week. I think he has omly made >100m in 1 game and he wouldn't have counted defensive numbers for months now barring training.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I thought Selwyn was decent defensively, not great by any means but what I mean is, he showed a willingness to put his body on the line and showed some urgency. He just doesn't have the fitness to do it 80 mins.

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
I thought Selwyn was decent defensively, not great by any means but what I mean is, he showed a willingness to put his body on the line and showed some urgency. He just doesn't have the fitness to do it 80 mins.

Impressive under the high ball. Given its Burton kicking that might be the imperative factor.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
If Selwyn isn’t ready. Who do we go? Jack Ahearn? I would personally go with him now. Has some experience in NRL systems (never debuted though). Tyson Gamble could be a serviceable fullback. I think it’s pretty clear that Farnworth is never going to see a game there.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
I'm not worried about his 1 on 1 defence tbh. Couldn't be worse then nius. But that costs 1 try a game, and not certain to save them if you are great as a fullback 1 on 1.
The problem is his communication, positioning, anticipation of play and counting numbers from fullback. You don't get better at that playing on the wing, no matter what level you play at...
Those easy run throughs from 2nd row by the panthers weren't just poor defensive efforts, the numbers and line position were all wrong and they happened once cobbo went back there.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Grunt work under pressure and lots of defensive fullback work is exactly what he needs though. His running game doesn't need work at the moment, it will do (will need to improve but will get him by, same with ball play, he doesn't need it YET).. I think it would give him more then playing wing on a side getting belted every second week. I think he has omly made >100m in 1 game and he wouldn't have counted defensive numbers for months now barring training.

You don’t learn off guys while you’re playing terribly. They just worry about themselves. Last year he had a really settled spine at Wynnum and it helped him. This first four games would have been horrible. Wynnum have looked unhappy. You would have had Cobbo and Mairner scratching their heads going this sucks.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
If Selwyn isn’t ready. Who do we go? Jack Ahearn? I would personally go with him now. Has some experience in NRL systems (never debuted though). Tyson Gamble could be a serviceable fullback. I think it’s pretty clear that Farnworth is never going to see a game there.

You can’t just pick Ahearn. You’d have to add a 30 year old to your top 30 and give him $77k.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I'm not worried about his 1 on 1 defence tbh. Couldn't be worse then nius. But that costs 1 try a game, and not certain to save them if you are great as a fullback 1 on 1.
The problem is his communication, positioning, anticipation of play and counting numbers from fullback. You don't get better at that playing on the wing, no matter what level you play at...
Those easy run throughs from 2nd row by the panthers weren't just poor defensive efforts, the numbers and line position were all wrong and they happened once cobbo went back there.
They happened when Turpin went off. Fullbacks don't make as many tackles as everyone imagines. Dylan Edwards only made 3 the entire match. But it's true: Selwyn misses too many.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
You don’t learn off guys while you’re playing terribly. They just worry about themselves. Last year he had a really settled spine at Wynnum and it helped him. This first four games would have been horrible. Wynnum have looked unhappy. You would have had Cobbo and Mairner scratching their heads going this sucks.
That would be a valid point, if the team he was therefore learning off in the nrl was also playing terribly.... and he wasnt on the wing on that same team....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Fitzy
  • Sproj
  • Galah
  • Mr Fourex
  • Fozz
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • winslow_wong
  • Battler
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Waynesaurus
  • FACTHUNT
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Allo
  • whykickamoocow
  • mitch222
  • Santa
  • BooKhaki
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.