vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take Allan and play him immediately against his current team?

I’d say get it done but we all know our board won’t

Not sure why people are still thinking this is a good idea.

Allan had a small purple patch in a spine that also included ARey, Cook and Walker all at the top of their games. Not to mention a dominant forward pack

thought Herbie only had a cork , surely he'll be right to go.
No one from the club has commented on his recovery time, but last time he was out with a corked leg (July 2020) it only cost him one game. Can't really bank on that though.

Walters:

“Selwyn is going to have to be ready to play fullback. The other option we had was David Mead and he is injured, so this is Selwyn’s time to shine. Tesi isn’t too good, he will have scans tomorrow but the initial prognosis is probably four to six weeks. He did a good job of tearing it.”​
“Selwyn will be up for it, I have confidence in him and what he brings to the side. Penrith pressured him with the high ball but he came up trumps. Nathan Cleary had all sorts of high kicks, but Selwyn and our back three did well to cope with those kicks. Selwyn backs himself and he has some wonderful traits. He is a very instinctive player, the ball seems to find him so he will be good at the back for us.”​
“It will be great to have our big names back. I thought Keenan and Corey Jensen were great against the Panthers but it’s nice to know Payne and Tom are back on deck.”​

Not sure why people are still thinking this is a good idea.

Allan had a small purple patch in a spine that also included ARey, Cook and Walker all at the top of their games. Not to mention a dominant forward pack
It may not be a viable long term option, but currently, we have no options. I would give Farnworth first crack, and in theory, Farnworth should be capable of doing a job, and potentially even taking that spot completely, but it's still a bit of an unknown. At least Allan is a natural fullback, and so he is a bit more accustomed to the role. He could do the job until Niu returns. At the very least he would be a depth option, something we don't have after releasing Isaako for no apparent reason.

Walters:

“Selwyn is going to have to be ready to play fullback. The other option we had was David Mead and he is injured, so this is Selwyn’s time to shine. Tesi isn’t too good, he will have scans tomorrow but the initial prognosis is probably four to six weeks. He did a good job of tearing it.”​
“Selwyn will be up for it, I have confidence in him and what he brings to the side. Penrith pressured him with the high ball but he came up trumps. Nathan Cleary had all sorts of high kicks, but Selwyn and our back three did well to cope with those kicks. Selwyn backs himself and he has some wonderful traits. He is a very instinctive player, the ball seems to find him so he will be good at the back for us.”​
“It will be great to have our big names back. I thought Keenan and Corey Jensen were great against the Panthers but it’s nice to know Payne and Tom are back on deck.”​

The fact that Herbie isn't even in the conversation for FB, despite trialling during the pre-season, is interesting. Either he stinks at it (which seems unlikely?) or there's something else at play. I guess Cobbo is seen as the long-term FB so he'll take the spot with Pereira to come in, but yeah, the fact Herbie's not even mentioned as an option is odd.

The fact that Herbie isn't even in the conversation for FB, despite trialling during the pre-season, is interesting. Either he stinks at it (which seems unlikely?) or there's something else at play. I guess Cobbo is seen as the long-term FB so he'll take the spot with Pereira to come in, but yeah, the fact Herbie's not even mentioned as an option is odd.
there's obviously a reason for it , but you're right it's odd . maybe Herbie is not due back for a few weeks, or he's signed elsewhere.

It's almost like every time there is a chance for him to play fullback, he somehow misses out. Currently, he is injured. I think he had covid in the trials or something. I just wish we got to see how he goes there, and who knows, maybe he could be the answer for us at fullback.

Walters:

Tom is our big name prop for all the wrong reasons. Hopefully Jensen keeps his spot

I'm thinking these rumors about him signing with Redcliffe are probably true. It would explain why he is suddenly "injured" and Kev won't even let his name pass his lips re: playing fullback.

It may not be a viable long term option, but currently, we have no options. I would give Farnworth first crack, and in theory, Farnworth should be capable of doing a job, and potentially even taking that spot completely, but it's still a bit of an unknown. At least Allan is a natural fullback, and so he is a bit more accustomed to the role. He could do the job until Niu returns. At the very least he would be a depth option, something we don't have after releasing Isaako for no apparent reason.

The problem is Allan is no better than our options.

there's obviously a reason for it , but you're right it's odd . maybe Herbie is not due back for a few weeks, or he's signed elsewhere.
The first reason is he's not fully fit, so he'd be better off in the centres where he won't have to run constantly, especially since the ball never goes out in that direction any more.

The second is it's received wisdom Selwyn is the heir apparent for the position. It's just a matter of when he's ready. He wasn't in the trials, but he's come along rapidly since then. Now might be a good time to gauge that again, given the Dogs are one of our weakest opponents. Tesi might've already lost his spot.

The third is Kevvie doesn't seem to rate him as a fullback. Like you say, he's trialled him there, but he's played everyone else instead. Mead, Cobbo, Isaako, Niu all had a crack.

The fourth might have something to do with his contract negotiations and the possibility of him ending up at the Dolphins. But that's pure speculation.

If Billy starts this game at 6 then I want a new coach.

It's hard to judge Cobbo completely on last game at FB because he hasn't played there for awhile and had no set play training there either.

if Turpin is picked, Paix should start at least, I don't think he has ever started at 9 before and he deserves a shot already.

Also Jensen should start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.