Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

The biggest issue we have is conceding penalties and making silly mistakes, which gifts the opposition possession and field position. Everyone knows my thoughts on how the penalties/6 agains are a fucking rort, but we still need to be smarter about it. This possession/position isn't as simple as it sounds, I'll explain below in my typical TLDR way...

We need possession and field position of our own because in the NRL you don't just score from a well constructed play alone. Even Oates' try was on the back of possession. It's like a boxing match where you need to fatigue your opponent, except in League only one guy gets to punch at once. The more you get to punch, the more jabs you can throw in prep for the big hit.

In isolation, you'd think that Staggs had a quiet night, and except for that one flick pass to Cobbo, was well contained. The defence knew that he is best handled in numbers, get up in his face and even if he tried to go around/through his opposite, there are other defenders around to corral him in and assist. And yet, Reynolds persisted down his side even though the results were the same. Why? Because they were the jabs. It fatigued the opposition both physically and mentally, so after a while they saw it coming and instinctively defended against Staggs the same way that was working. Once that pattern was set, Reynolds went for the Big Hit with the kicks in behind instead, knowing the defence would be up and committed, and it's why we racked up so many points in the end.

None of that works if you don't have the opportunity to throw the jabs first and get the opposition defence conditioned. Had we not enjoyed the field position at the end there, Reynolds would not have had the opportunities to get those kicks in, and all of us would have been lamenting how well contained Staggs was and wondered why we kept going that way when it wasn't getting anywhere. It's why I don't like the term "keep doing the same thing and expect the same result". This is only true if there isn't a method to what you're doing.
100% agree. Love the analogy looks like someone was excited for the Fury vs Whyte fight this morning.

What has Billy done to suggest he should be given multiple games as starting 9? For his entire career he has been a bloke who is pretty average, but can have brief moments in games where he looks like he could be a decent player, and is given more chances because of his surname.

If you want to claim Turpin has zero impact, I'll take that ahead of the negative impact that Walters had last night. He was given the easiest team in the comp to prove his worth, and all he did was drag us down below their level.

I haven't looked at any stats, but the 30ish minutes Walters was on the field last night, is the worst we have looked in a long time.
Are you Jake Turpin or are you his mum? Because those are the only two people on the planet who thinks he deserves to be in first grade. Billy didn’t have a great night but it was also his first night at hooker. Turpin has been stinking it up for 2 years and Turpin was hooked last week after his pathetic effort on Api.

Are you Jake Turpin or are you his mum? Because those are the only two people on the planet who thinks he deserves to be in first grade. Billy didn’t have a great night but it was also his first night at hooker. Turpin has been stinking it up for 2 years and Turpin was hooked last week after his pathetic effort on Api.
There are plenty of people on this forum who think Turpin should be our 9. I'm more than happy with replacing Turpin with someone better, we just need to sign them, because nobody contracted at the club is better suited to start at 9.

There are plenty of people on this forum who think Turpin should be our 9. I'm more than happy with replacing Turpin with someone better, we just need to sign them, because nobody contracted at the club is better suited to start at 9.
110% this. The ranking is currently:

1. Jake
2. Cory
3. Billy
4. Kobe
5. Blake

We don't got no other stinking hookers, and none of these have outpointed Jake across the board yet, whatever his shortcomings. Hopefully Cory will get the chance to state his case over the coming weeks, and then maybe we can have a peek at Blake.

I’ll put my hand up, I thought we could cover turps with Billy & Paix, but Billy really changed my mind on Friday.

We need to be getting Paix majority of the minutes each week if he’s going to come on for Turpin, otherwise he’s better off playing qcup. We also can’t have him coming on after 60mins when the games already over.

I’ll put my hand up, I thought we could cover turps with Billy & Paix, but Billy really changed my mind on Friday.

We need to be getting Paix majority of the minutes each week if he’s going to come on for Turpin, otherwise he’s better off playing qcup. We also can’t have him coming on after 60mins when the games already over.
Yeah, a lot of this is Kevvies rubbish use of the interchange. Turpin/Paix is serviceable if used correctly, which is rarely the case.

the question is: would Paix have more of an impact starting than Turpin? and the answer is a resounding "YES"

then the follow-up question would be: would Turpin or Billy offer us more off the bench? and again the answer would be a resounding "Billy"

whichever way you look at it, our best hooker rotation is one that doesn't involve Turpin. so that just leaves us to determine if Paix or Billy should start. either way Paix needs to be on the field for 60 minutes.

does that mean we should be satisfied with Paix and Billy as our hookers? not necessarily. although after a month in the roles, we will have a good idea if we need to go to market or not for a hooker
Have you seen Paix play the 1st 20 -30 mins and have an impact ?
That was a point Kevvie made at the post game presser, Billy to take the sting out of the game then Paix .

I say give William at least 3 games at number 9 before you right him off .
Poor bugger has been in the backline since pre season . Now you want him to be the best dummy half at the club with 1 weeks prep . FFS !

Yeah, a lot of this is Kevvies rubbish use of the interchange. Turpin/Paix is serviceable if used correctly, which is rarely the case.
yet his use of Billy and paix seemed to work ? i really don't think there is much between turpin and Billy and Billy has only started at 9 once. it's really a flip of a coin between them until i see more of Billy, have seen enough of Turpin to know what he brings.

Interestingly, Macca and Turps have exactly the same build as each other. They are both within a few cm's and kg's weight and heightwise. Maybe a player built like that is destined to become a tackle-bot when they play first grade for an extended period??

Paix on the other hand is built like an actual hooker, kinda reminds me of Mahoney.

According the Broncos and Dragons websites - Turpin and Paix are closer in build than Macca.
Paix is apparently 3 kegs heavier than Turps and Macca is taller and heavier than both.

Turpin
H: 178cm
W: 86kg

Paix
W: 89kg

Macca
H: 180cm
W: 90kg

According the Broncos and Dragons websites - Turpin and Paix are closer in build than Macca.
Paix is apparently 3 kegs heavier than Turps and Macca is taller and heavier than both.

Turpin
W: 86kg

Paix
W: 89kg

Macca
H: 180cm
W: 90kg
Interesting. Maybe height and weight are irrelevant. Paix has a totally different build compared to the other two, he seems alot stockier.

yet his use of Billy and paix seemed to work ? i really don't think there is much between turpin and Billy and Billy has only started at 9 once. it's really a flip of a coin between them until i see more of Billy, have seen enough of Turpin to know what he brings.
He did what he should do with Turpin/Paix. Normally he brings him on at the wrong time.

How is Capewell not square here? His feet are either side of the PTB, his upper body is in motion as the DH picks up the ball. Capes was pissed after this call.
Screenshot 20220424 102610 Firefox

Active Now

• matthewransom34@ic
  • Battler
  • Lazza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.