Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

He did what he should do with Turpin/Paix. Normally he brings him on at the wrong time.
definitely should bench turpin earlier , maybe just slowly easing Paix in.
still think Billy should get another chance but.

It just makes sense for him to start off with his usual hit ups and as the opposition gets fatigued he’ll attract more defenders. Then the ball playing will reap rewards.
He's actually picking his timing to go out the back quite well... but it's not always set in stone.

I noticed in Friday's game there was a point in the second half he took it to the line ball in both hands out in front of him and Reynolds was sitting out the back with nice shape set up outside him.

Haas instead tucked it under the wing and went for a run.

I'm not sure why it caught my eye this time around, but I'm assuming we probably run that shape quite a bit and if they over commit to Haas he goes out the back, but if they spread for the dump play to Arey then Haas takes the hitup against less defenders.

It's a smart way to use him and will start to put questions in the defense's mind.

Eventually he'll be taking it to the one with a short option and the dump out the back, which will become difficult to defend

definitely should bench turpin earlier , maybe just slowly easing Paix in.
still think Billy should get another chance but.
I'm pretty sure in the last game Turpin played Paix came on in the first half... and last year when we had things rolling quite well there were games where Paix would see out the game and Turps would come on at lock.

I feel like that might be the strategy used a bit more moving forward

He's actually picking his timing to go out the back quite well... but it's not always set in stone.

I noticed in Friday's game there was a point in the second half he took it to the line ball in both hands out in front of him and Reynolds was sitting out the back with nice shape set up outside him.

I'm not sure why it caught my eye this time around, but I'm assuming we probably run that shape quite a bit and if they over commit to Haas he goes out the back, but if they spread for the dump play to Arey then Haas takes the hitup against less defenders.

It's a smart way to use him and will start to put questions in the defense's mind.

Eventually he'll be taking it to the one with a short option and the dump out the back, which will become difficult to defend
He has quite a nice crisp pass too. I noticed he created quite a gap for Kobe to run into as well as the defenders had only eyes for him and arey.

He could also take it up, hit and spin on the defence (basically back into them) and pop it out the back to a waiting Turpin/Paix/Walters who flings it straight to Reynolds who then works his magic.
A short ball to Riki or a early ball to Staggs or even a inside ball to Martin.
If Paynes attracting 3-4 defenders there is room somewhere.

He could also take it up, hit and spin on the defence (basically back into them) and pop it out the back to a waiting Turpin/Paix/Walters who flings it straight to Reynolds who then works his magic.
A short ball to Riki or a early ball to Staggs or even a inside ball to Martin.
If Paynes attracting 3-4 defenders there is room somewhere.
Given they're putting that shape out the back of Payne it looks like they are starting to give him options, instead of a 1 out hitup and easy target for the defence.

I do also recall in the first two weeks Payne was getting away quite a few offloads as well.. so I think he's starting to bring things into his game and Kevvie might be looking to utilise him a bit more in our attacking game, rather than just having him as a bash and barge forward.

Getting the ball to Haas, putting options around him and getting him to recognise the right situations to go to certain options could turn him into a very dangerous player... especially since he plays long minutes for a prop.

In an NBA sense it's like when the team's best player is the 7 foot centre so the go to play is getting it to the big man in the post, putting options around him and letting him use his skills.

If the defence doubles him he can pop it out for the open man on the 3pt line (dump out the back to Arey), but if they lay off him then he'll just go to work and dominate his opposition for easy points all day.

Then they'll also have men cutting towards the basket (like a short ball to a forward or an outside / inside play) so if the defence is too focussed on Haas or Arey on the 3pt line then they miss the short ball completely and he's straight through for the easy points.

Given they're putting that shape out the back of Payne it looks like they are starting to give him options, instead of a 1 out hitup and easy target for the defence.

I do also recall in the first two weeks Payne was getting away quite a few offloads as well.. so I think he's starting to bring things into his game and Kevvie might be looking to utilise him a bit more in our attacking game, rather than just having him as a bash and barge forward.

Getting the ball to Haas, putting options around him and getting him to recognise the right situations to go to certain options could turn him into a very dangerous player... especially since he plays long minutes for a prop.

In an NBA sense it's like when the team's best player is the 7 foot centre so the go to play is getting it to the big man in the post, putting options around him and letting him use his skills.

If the defence doubles him he can pop it out for the open man on the 3pt line (dump out the back to Arey), but if they lay off him then he'll just go to work and dominate his opposition for easy points all day.

Then they'll also have men cutting towards the basket (like a short ball to a forward or an outside / inside play) so if the defence is too focussed on Haas or Arey on the 3pt line then they miss the short ball completely and he's straight through for the easy points.
Completely agree, Reno is a very smart footballer and I think hes working out the players strengths and how to utilise them.
You can see that with Oates.
Martin is going to get better and have a much better understanding of what Reno wants from him having worked with Thurston previously.

I think any prop that plays every week is worth 400k at least.

Kennedy I think if he actually was in the 17 every week (which I think he deserves to be in our squar) is a 300k player until he nails a starting spot then moves up to 400-500k if he holds, although moot point as it seems the club isn't re-signing him. Personally I'd like to run a rotation of Carrigan/Haas/Flegler/Palasia then have Jensen and Kennedy as depth rotating in depending on form.
Willison will jump Jensen/Kennedy pretty quickly

That was beautiful with Oates......

**** I wanna see more of that.

I temember a game against the Panthers a few years ago where Oates played 11. Scores were even with a few minutes to go and we had a set on their line where we worked over their defence, stretched them everywhere, to get Oates 1 on 1 with their half. Pulled the trigger and he ran this perfect line and smashed over, winning us the game.

Oates is clearly not a big thinker but if we give him simple instructions (catch ball, run it hard on exit sets, run to that spot), he has the size and strength no other winger in the comp can match. I definitely want to see him retained.

I temember a game against the Panthers a few years ago where Oates played 11. Scores were even with a few minutes to go and we had a set on their line where we worked over their defence, stretched them everywhere, to get Oates 1 on 1 with their half. Pulled the trigger and he ran this perfect line and smashed over, winning us the game.

Oates is clearly not a big thinker but if we give him simple instructions (catch ball, run it hard on exit sets, run to that spot), he has the size and strength no other winger in the comp can match. I definitely want to see him retained.
Size and strength no other winger can match? I mean, that’s a huge stretch. Plenty of wingers bigger or more powerful than Oates

Te Maire Martin gives me Karmichael Hunt vibes. I don't think it's just me either. Something about the way he plays - like, he looks like he always has plenty of time to do things, and has a no nonsense approach about him. He will be valuable if he can stay injury free.

Active Now

• marw
  • Broncorob
  • GCBRONCO
  • kiwibronco
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.