POST GAME [Round 7, 2022] Broncos vs Bulldogs

Do you believe Paix will have the same impact starting?

the question is: would Paix have more of an impact starting than Turpin? and the answer is a resounding "YES"

then the follow-up question would be: would Turpin or Billy offer us more off the bench? and again the answer would be a resounding "Billy"

whichever way you look at it, our best hooker rotation is one that doesn't involve Turpin. so that just leaves us to determine if Paix or Billy should start. either way Paix needs to be on the field for 60 minutes.

does that mean we should be satisfied with Paix and Billy as our hookers? not necessarily. although after a month in the roles, we will have a good idea if we need to go to market or not for a hooker

the question is: would Paix have more of an impact starting than Turpin? and the answer is a resounding "YES"

then the follow-up question would be: would Turpin or Billy offer us more off the bench? and again the answer would be a resounding "Billy"

whichever way you look at it, our best hooker rotation is one that doesn't involve Turpin. so that just leaves us to determine if Paix or Billy should start. either way Paix needs to be on the field for 60 minutes.

does that mean we should be satisfied with Paix and Billy as our hookers? not necessarily. although after a month in the roles, we will have a good idea if we need to go to market or not for a hooker
Disagree if Walters is going to play like he did last night. Putrid

What game has paix shown that? how many chances has he had? have we even tried yet to start him at 9?

I'm not sure if i had a stroke and have missed a bunch of games this year but i cant think of a single time paix has been given the chance to be a starting 9? so why are you positive he will fail and offer nothing

I''m so confused with your logic how can you not want to give paix a shot to show what he can offer. which btw his performance last night was a big factor in us winning. but your willing to go back to turpin to start route where we know it does not work for us?
In his appearances so far this year in ISC and NRL, Paix has been pretty average.

I don't want to give Paix a shot at starting 9, as I believe his best position for the teams success is coming off the bench. His performance off the bench last night was a big factor, and that's exactly why I want him to stay there and continuing to do the exact same thing. How aren't you understanding this?

Completely disagree. I believe the best combo we have is Turpin/Paix.

Disagree if Walters is going to play like he did last night. Putrid
agree here . if walters continues to have games like last night then he cant be in the side.

But i guess some of us are willing to give him a few more games .I personally would love to try a few games of paix starting and walters as impact hooker. And if it doesnt work then like foordy said at least we know then we need to go to market for a hooker for next season.

Completely disagree. I believe the best combo we have is Turpin/Paix.
I guess this is were we disagree and we are not going to change each others minds.

I'm firmly in the paix/ walters combo for at least 4-6 games

Id rather the unknown then to go back to what we already know does not work for us.

Guess in the end its walters decision Whichever way he goes I wont be death riding any one as I just want this team to be the best it can.

His defence and service, mate.
You didn't notice the shit Billy did in defence? The 6 agains and penalty in the ruck which led to points? It's not just about someone making a try saving tackle when people talk about defence.
Which errors specifically? The 6 again or penalty? Billy was just playmaking from dummy half. He’ll just be told to pass straight away or run when markers are dead. Like I said. Simple fix. Turpins service is absolute poo. May as well play Hetherington at hooker if you just want a defender.
Turpin was pretty good against Penrith, to be fair. Even though he never ran a metre out of dummy half, that was the best stretch of football the club has played for years, and he fed the halves as per his remit. When Paix replaced him, we did not lift. Unlike last night when Paix replaced Billy.

For me, I'd be starting Turpin with Paix as utility, until such time as events sift the pecking order differently.

Which means, for now, Billy is done as utility. He's either 6 or he's out.

Keep in mind, Billy has never claimed to be a hooker, and hasn't been enthusiastic about a utility role, other than he'll take what he's given. He's been very clear about wanting to play 6.

Turpin being nothing more than a tackle-bot is detrimental to our entire team and if you can't see that you simply have no idea about this sport. If his service is slow, which it is from the first minute these days, it gives our first receiver no room and means we move nowhere. We are lucky Haas is as good as he is and can somehow still make metres off Turpin's shit service, but we saw how ineffective Reynolds has been with 3 defensive players in his face as soon as he catches the ball throughout the year.

It starts and pretty much ends at Turpin.

Paix threw a poor pass to Gamble who then gave him a spray .
Paix`s passing last night was generally crisper than it has been .

re Billy and the penalty . Haas missed the tackle Billy cleaned up in cover . Then the Bulldogs player held on to him and Billy got penalised . Ref trying to assert control ...

I really liked Martin at fullback.

He had a good game considering it was his first game in 3 years. He was safe under the high ball, came up with some try savers and had some nice touches coming out of our end.

That pass to Cobbo wasn't great, but he had the confidence to back himself and if he got the pass right, Cobbo scores.

Hopefully he can build on that. The biggest concern is whether he can maintain that kind of form playing at the back. It's going to test his fitness.

I still wonder what Kevvie was thinking when he let Levi go, we all knew 9 was an issue for us and Levi was a legit step up on our hooker options last year.

As for the Combination for our Hookers at current I'm conflicted, I think Paix needs a run of extended gametime because he has been given patchy time for awhile now so his ability to prove himself is limited.

While I thought Walters was good for the first few minutes it quickly became apparent his poor pass selection and overt selfishness to go for a hitup made him ineffective.

Walters isn't first grade quality, just like when he plays 6 he seems to think a spine player should be thinking of taking the hitup before creating anything, his football insticts are absolutely shocking, he would be better suited to being a centre with that mindset but he doesn't exactly have the body to do that either.

Turpin would be effective for a first half stint in my view that takes the sting of the game then bring on Paix in the later stages of the first half to finish the game, Turpin is pretty ineffectual as a bench hooker so basically our hands are behind our backs on this one.

Guy yelling during the minute of silence got belted.
He's since been fined over $1650 ($827 for obstructing police, and $827, for disorderly behaviour).

The crusaders who bashed him might still be banned from the stadium. Or given a season pass for every Broncos game. Whichever is the greater punishment.

Addition by subtraction - as Kev said last night, he prefers a hooker from the start to soak up pressure and tackles, then bring the 14 on to exploit a tired ruck etc..

With no Turps, thats Walters job, then Paix runs on.

Once Turps is healthy enough to play, he "should" be starting again. Until then though, this is our spine and hooker rotation for now.

TMM showed some real fight in terms of last line of defence - he held up or assisted in holding up at least 2 tries that i can recall. Thats not to be scoffed at - check out Paixs try, who did he steamroll to score it...

You watching Niu?

re Billy and the penalty . Haas missed the tackle Billy cleaned up in cover . Then the Bulldogs player held on to him and Billy got penalised . Ref trying to assert control ...
Yeh that particular penalty had me spitting out my red wine. It was plain to see that Billy 's shirt was being held tightly by the Shark player and how the ref chose to ignore that was (at the time) deadset mind-blowing.

Addition by subtraction - as Kev said last night, he prefers a hooker from the start to soak up pressure and tackles, then bring the 14 on to exploit a tired ruck etc..

With no Turps, thats Walters job, then Paix runs on.

Once Turps is healthy enough to play, he "should" be starting again. Until then though, this is our spine and hooker rotation for now.

TMM showed some real fight in terms of last line of defence - he held up or assisted in holding up at least 2 tries that i can recall. Thats not to be scoffed at - check out Paixs try, who did he steamroll to score it...

You watching Niu?
Probably the best scenario available this year. I just hope KW gives Turps 25-30 mins instead of 50-55 mins. If Turps knows he has 30mins to give his all, maybe we’ll see a bit more intent and spark from him.

I think Paix's passing has always been good from dummy half. Definitely better than the other two.

Active Now

• NSW stables
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Old Mate
  • Fitzy
  • BruiserMk1
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • Robboi_321
  • Mr Fourex
  • Allo
  • Kev_Guz
  • sooticus
  • phoenix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.