PRE-GAME Round 7 - Broncos vs Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, you are putting way too much creedence in the mtrs gained stat. It can sometimes be misleading if you are an outside back, he does a fair few hitups but never bends the line. Fans defended Vidot in the same way as he would miss and fumble his way around the park but yet gain 200+ mtrs. The difference with Vidot is that he carved out a half decent career and is still getting a gig with the Titans. Moga isn't going to work out, most reasonable fans can spot that a mile away.

Luckily Bennett isn't one of those fans , there is a reason he got first crack. Until Bennett drops him there is no one better for the team

Luckily Bennett isn't one of those fans , there is a reason he got first crack. Until Bennett drops him there is no one better for the team

Maybe the reason he got first crack is because Opacic wasn't fit...

have a look at Bennett teams of years past, there has nearly always been one defensive oriented center.

Darren Smith, Mick Devere, Jack Reed, Opacic (towards the end of last year) etc.

So Moga better start learning to defend or it wont be long before he is out of the side.

p.s. i would even take Jack Reed over Moga ... and we all know my thoughts on Reed

Simple game plan. Aim at Taylor. May I quote from the courier mail....

Dills: Ash Taylor is a fine young player who will play for Queensland one day. But that one day is not just around the corner given his defensive deficiencies. Misses far too many one-on-one tackles. Was targeted and exposed by Canberra.

Ps I don't think he's a fine young player. At the moment he's an overhyped kid....nothing else....

I first noticed it against the Knights at Suncorp in 2015. Gagai gave him a bath in a game where Brisbane otherwise dominated. It was around that time I saw the value in Reed.

Just to add to this...

Kahu has only played seven NRL games alongside Milford, and he wasn't terrible each and everytime. While Reed was the right man at the time, the Milford, Kahu and Oates combination was potent in it's own right.

Considering Moga's defence isn't setting the world on fire, I wouldn't write Kahu off altogether.

I like opacic's defencive efforts, but moga does seem to draw defenders when he runs. That said, it doesnt compensate for his poor defence at the moment. We'll see.
You hit the nail on the head i think , moga is there to attract defenders and make room for milf.

Maybe the reason he got first crack is because Opacic wasn't fit...

have a look at Bennett teams of years past, there has nearly always been one defensive oriented center.

Darren Smith, Mick Devere, Jack Reed, Opacic (towards the end of last year) etc.

So Moga better start learning to defend or it wont be long before he is out of the side.

p.s. i would even take Jack Reed over Moga ... and we all know my thoughts on Reed

You may be right, time will tell.

All of Hunt's critics will see how good he is when the team plays without him.

Bennett torn by selection headache

He has faced selection dilemmas throughout his 40-year coaching career yet Wayne Bennett admits the prospect of dropping David Mead ahead of his first match against his former club is one he is dreading.

ad

‌Hours after the Titans were dumped from the 2016 Telstra Premiership by Brisbane, Gold Coast's leading try-scorer announced he was heading up the M1 to join the Titans' bitter rivals where the Papua New Guinea captain was expected to find a home on the Broncos' right wing.

But after a disappointing showing at the World Club Series Mead was overlooked for Round 1 and had to wait until last Thursday's 32-8 victory over the Roosters to line up for the Broncos for the first time where he put in a typically high-energy display.

He broke through the Roosters defence with his first kick return of the game and finished it with his side's final try, accumulating 174 run metres, five tackle breaks and two line breaks in a triumphant club debut.

But with Corey Oates expected to have recovered from a groin injury in time to line up against the Titans on Good Friday at Suncorp Stadium, Mead is in danger of being squeezed out of Bennett's 17.

"I thought he was outstanding. I loved what he did," Bennett said of Mead's first game as a Bronco.

"It's a pretty difficult decision to make because Corey's a pretty fair player for us too so we'll just see what the week brings.

"I'm not looking forward to leaving him out of the team I can tell you if I have to.

"But he'll get plenty of opportunities if he doesn't get one next week."

After playing the first 147 games of his NRL career with the Titans the chance to line up against his former club makes Mead even more desperate to hold his place in the team than usual.

Told to wait until the end of the 2016 season before the Titans would discuss a new contract, Mead made the heart-wrenching decision to sign a one-year deal with Brisbane and vow to earn a longer and more lucrative deal for 2018 and beyond.

He emphasised his class against the Roosters but knows it still might not be enough to earn a second start this week.
"Obviously I'm still hoping to play in the NRL side but if it doesn't happen I'll still have to work hard and see what I need to improve on," Mead said.

"I'd love to [play against the Titans]. Obviously the old club and a couple of old teammates in there that I'd love to play against."

All throughout the Broncos' pre-season it appeared as though Jordan Kahu would be the preferred option at left centre with Mead to take Kahu's place on the right wing.

But when Mead by his own admission performed below expectations in England Bennett returned Kahu to the wing and promoted Tautau Moga to start at left centre, leaving Mead to the unfamiliar surroundings of Intrust Super Cup with Wynnum-Manly.

"I didn't perform that well over there and understandably Wayne went with Tau and thought he'd go with some size which is fair enough and that's been working from the start," said Mead.

"An opportunity opened up for me and hopefully I've done enough to stay in the side.
"It was a relief. I've obviously had to stay pretty patient the first couple of weeks and when Wayne told me I was playing tonight I was pretty excited.

"I was pretty happy with the way I performed. Obviously a couple of defensive things that Tau and I could have done better to stop those tries but overall I'm pretty happy.

"I've been playing in the Q Cup the past few weeks and those guys have been tremendous out at Wynnum Seagulls.
"They make playing footy very enjoyable, great bunch of blokes over there so that makes it easier when you're not playing in the NRL."

http://www.nrl.com/bennett-torn-by-selection-headache/tabid/10874/newsid/105522/default.aspx

it's a tough one, because if you drop Moga after last week you'll kill his confidence (something WB and his staff were mindful of building up at HT), because his second half showing was much better - were they trying to nurse him through the game, or was it more of a longterm thing?

but, Mead did everything he had to in that game plus some. he doesn't deserve to be dropped.

it's a tough one, because if you drop Moga after last week you'll kill his confidence (something WB and his staff were mindful of building up at HT), because his second half showing was much better - were they trying to nurse him through the game, or was it more of a longterm thing?

but, Mead did everything he had to in that game plus some. he doesn't deserve to be dropped.
Yeah, it's a sucky position for Bennett. Mead has done everything right.

We just want to give Mead an opportunity against his old team Moga.....nothing personal Bruss.
3 doesn't go into 2 and he certainly isn't going to be picked ahead of Oates or Kahu. Mead was signed as a depth winger and will get another opportunity soon enough.

I would really like to go to this game but the fact its on Good Friday precludes me from doing so.

Not that I'm religious, at all, in any sort of way, but not being able to just get a beer before and after the game, kills it for me.

So you can't enjoy sport without alcohol?

Thaiday also said that Kodi will more likely be the more structured player with Milford just playing off the cuff

Moga showed that he could set up his man . It all comes down to what Bennett wants from him , not what you , me or anybody wants . The fact is moga was first choice not 3rd like opacic was last year , im not against him coming into the side but will see what Bennett wants when he is fit.

I would be pretty certain Tommy would have been well in front of Moga if he didnt have multiple shoulder surgeries in the summer. If Tom would have been fit at the start of the season, he would have been in front of Moga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Scorchie
  • broncsgoat
  • broncotville
  • porouian
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Wild Horse
  • Bucking Beads
  • GCBRONCO
  • MrRobot
  • Xzei
  • Wolfie
  • BruiserMk1
  • Sproj
  • Tim K
  • Scdeac
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Rough and Ready
  • Gaz
  • Dexter
  • Purple Pills
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.