Round 7 - Eels vs Broncos

i noticed a lot of people didnt like levi tonight? obviously he had a couple bad errors but i thought he was crisp at dummy half

He was, but whoever said he was a selfish player was bang on. Some of his plays could have been game-changing, he definitely has spark and vision, but pretty much every time he took the selfish option. That first run of his, he was thinking 4 points or nothing, and when he realised he wasn't going to get there he just threw the ball out in deperation instead of taking the tackle 1 metre out with their defence scattered.

This is gut wrenching from Kevvie. Seeing the press conference before this you'd think the guy in the presser was someone else (or one of his brothers).
He fucking hates losing as much as some of us rusted on fans who die a little every time that happens.

Time to admit we don't have the cattle. Some of our fave players in the current team are out of their depth. The ones we love to bash are equally inept just the same.

God help Kevvie 😢

The service could be better but the issue is their formations. They're far too bunched and what ends happening is that they'll have two attackers running at the one defender and that makes it easy for the defence to make a decision. The key to attacking the line is creating doubt and making the opposition make a mistake which isn't possible when you fail to isolate defenders.

The easiest way to do that is to spread out and have options on each play. Play short or out the back, and have a few pet plays for each team if you notice something about their defence. If they rush up early then be prepared to kick behind the line for Isaako, Dearden, Mead etc.

They need to get back to one of your favourite pet plays where the five eighth plays as the quasi fullback and goes the cut-out to the winger. That's where the points are for the Broncos.
They very much struggle at isolating defenders 1v1.

I wonder why teams have suddenly decided that a hitup on the post and then spreading it to the opposite edge is the way to go inside the 20m?

I would've thought the way to go would be getting it wider than that ... get your second rower 1v1 on their half, get your half on the outside of the second rower, get your center 1v1 on his opposite... have them work for a quick ptb and then do a long spread back to the opposite edge.

I thought the general consensus was that the longer the open side of the field is the harder it is to defend, as the defence has more field to cover... and therefore more opportunity someone will have a little bit of space somewhere along the line.

Based on that I would've thought in general that the game plan should be getting the ball to whoever is the best at getting a quick ptb and then working off the back of that... Souths do it with Murray, Storm with BSmith, Eels were getting it tonight with Papa and Kaufusi, etc.

The storm forwards are aware of how important a quick ptb is that it's basically the only thing they work towards, and the players come around and support the play the ball just as much as the try scorer.

For us the goal could be getting TPJ 1v1 on the half and then working from there. Through the middle we could look to get off the back of Haas... he finds his way between defenders, but he doesn't necessarily find his way onto his front and the value of a quick ptb.

Tonight Lodge threw a dummy, got between 2 defenders and then threw an offload to the eels player.... he was in prime position to find his front, create a quick ptb and let the team run off the back of it... he had two defenders tackle him low and was about 25-30m out, but instead of taking the tackle and providing a quick ptb he threw an offload.

It seems a lack of awareness across the squad.

It just doesn't seem like the team know what their fundamentals should be in attack... how are we going to score points and how do we get ourselves in the positions required to score points.

I was happy to see TPJ score off a DH play... It wasn't the best play, but it got him 1v1 and he easily got the try. We need some easy tries, we need some variety in our attack and different ways to score to take pressure off the halves and reduce our reliance on block plays to score (which don't seem to work for us anymore anyway).

Wot? You're saying Croft was best Bronco on ground tonight.....??

Ron Burgundy Anchorman GIF
😂😂😂😂😂😂
Way to misread! No, I don't think anyone had a better percentage of tackles and missed tackles LAST YEAR which was what I'd been in dialogue about in preceding posts. Croft was over 90% last year and I can't think of many who were as good.

Last year, last year, blah blah.

Tonight Dearden defended with 90.5% efficiency. Croft with 79.6%. He was not a tremendous tackler tonight.
It was in response to the claim that he was a noted poor defender. Try and keep up love. Milford only dreamed of 80%.

Changes need to be made behind the scenes, surely. For example, the recruitment and retention team need to be immediately yeeted after we witnessed Fifi tear it up for the Titans in the game before when we could likely have kept him for 700k if we tied him up earlier. Just changing the CEO isn't going to be silver bullet.

How long are they gonna keep up the whole “we are trying hard” stop being so mean BS? Just admit 3/4 of you are shit at your job.

this has nothing to do with talent, this has everything to do with the recruiting department recruiting the dumbest footballers available.

Oh wow he can step! Oh wow he’s big! Oh wow Just he ran over someone! Oh wow he’s faaaaasssssttttt!

Oh whoops he can’t count how many players are on the field, whoops overlap.

😀

@TheGreatCornholio7 I cannot see your posts so I have no idea what you're talking about. I can however see you quoted me but it doesn't appear.

That mistake from Levi proved really costly. Brisbane were behind the 8-ball all game but had they taken the lead then and there it changes the complexion of the game entirely. Somehow he came up with the absolute worst play and moments later the Eels score and they get their tails up during that period right before half-time.

There was just nothing at all to write home about in the second half. There were a couple of efforts from players but the team had their heads down and it was just too tough. That 18 point lead also brought Cartwright into the game and he's always going to shine in that sort of situation.

The only player I can really give a pass to tonight is Payne Haas. Even Pangai Jr I thought was very lazy in defence and his options at times were very selfish. He's a senior player, trying to barge over from dummy half on two separate occasions is just silly and he just isn't making enough of an impact with the ball. I'd put him in a similar boat as Oates and Carrigan who weren't awful but I'd still expect better.

No real luck tonight for the Broncos either. My favourite was Sivo hitting a standing front dropkick on Farnworth and drawing a penalty. Meanwhile Cartwright pinballs off Coates and takes the legs of Isaako but it's ruled a knock on.
Mead knocking it on / playing at the ball with his head because “he put himself under the kick” was an absolute joke also...

Changes need to be made behind the scenes, surely. For example, the recruitment and retention team need to be immediately yeeted after we witnessed Fifi tear it up for the Titans in the game before when we could likely have kept him for 700k if we tied him up earlier. Just changing the CEO isn't going to be silver bullet.
I totally forgot about DD. I bet that bloke is sitting at home thinking to himself ****, is this really worth it. No matter what they’re paying me, it’s likely not enough for the shit I’m going to have to wade through.

He’s also probably waking up in the middle of the night in cold sweats. Poor bastard.

The 2020’s Broncos, where careers go to die.

Active Now

• thenry
  • Sproj
  • theshed
  • Wild Horse
  • broncotville
  • Manofoneway
  • Stix
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Wolfie
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Waynesaurus
  • Bish
  • Allo
  • Shane Tronc
  • Battler
  • HarryAllan7
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Xzei
  • Lurker
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.