Round 7 - Eels vs Broncos

I am not questioning his tackling efficiency but he is known to turn in easily and leave his men out wide in the lurch. All I am saying is that the current right side defensively, as seen, isn’t working
Okay but that's not really what you initially wrote. If he doesn't have to make a tackle close in because his team mate can do the job he is highly effective. Two seasons at 90% means he's dropping guys and he isn't a defensive liability. Anyway, it's neither here nor there because we have guys who aren't going well and others need help with defence long before Croft. I do take your point though. He's definitely not perfect and can improve.

Man you wouldn't want to be a coach would you. I genuinely feel sorry for Kev because he's got an absolutely fucked job.
Yep he knew what he was getting into but he did inherit a pretty crap squad. Whoever gave Lodge that contract with the last 2 years in his favour should be shot. Now that we've got through our horror run of playing top 4 teams maybe we can jag a win here and there and avoid the spoon. At least Milford's contract runs out this year but I can't see any decent player coming here unless we pay massive overs which is what got us in this trouble in the first place. At least there is a QLD cup comp this year and any up and coming players can be promoted which may be our best bet.

I'll be fuming if Coates keeps his spot next week, he is absolutely horrible on defence. The amount of line breaks and tries he gives up overwhelmingly outweighs any good he does on the field.

VlandysBall + the worst ref in the league = you’re gonna have a baaaaaad time. Having zero possession just makes the bad teams worse

But still, so many errors, so many missed/bumped off tackles, so many ordinary players that can’t do the basics

ps **** off Levi

He gave them another spray after the game in the change room whilst holding up the jersey ... be interesting to see if any changes are made next week
Hard to make any significant changes when your roster is dogshit. 2021 was always going to be another bleak season and if this club doesn't recruit and recruit well, then get used to your team hanging at the wrong end of the ladder. This team is excruciatingly, gut wrenchingly bad. Seibs & co. fucked this organization royally.

Do we have any spots left? Can we sign on Hoeter? I know centre isn't the only issue but it is a big one and he is the best Q Cup player there from what I've seen. Switch Farnworth back to the right for goodness sake, play to your side's few strengths.

I'm not as down on this performance as others. Don't get me wrong, they sucked but they usually do. Ultimately, the side was let down by their Isaako, Dearden and Flegler as usual, plus a few horror moments at crucial times for Coates but he is normally pretty good and improving. Bench usually was once again baffling. Why leave two of your forwards on the bench until the 45th minute when you are getting belted and in that heat? It worries me about Kevvie.

What it does show though, as has been mentioned by others, is Reynolds is a must signing, even if we have to pay overs and think he could work well with Staggs. I think even him and Croft would work fine. I'm happy for Dearden to walk.

We need some solid experience in the centres and second row - so Reynolds, Opacic, Su'A plus hopefully Capewell and maybe even Gagai or even Mann and this team is regularly competitive. It doesn't become a contender but it does become at least worthwhile viewing. Currently it is a train wreck that repeats every week with no new parts in sight.

Replace our team with the norths devils. At least they play like a team and may show some fucking gratitude and realise that it is a privilige to play first grade.

I dont get it, we are just shit in all aspects of the game. I really feel sorry for kev before where the **** do you start with these entitled brats? We cant even manage simple things like line speed, running onto the ball, protecting the kicker, pressuring their kicker and ball player. You dont need skill to do this, just effort which is not there.

The amount of times we sat back and watched moses, brown and gutherson skip across our line was infuriating.

I am saving myself 80 minutes a week now because i refuse to watch these pricks anymore. If they couldnt be bothered why should we?

Croft has issues with defence, huh? 🙄 Pretty sure he was over 90% last year. Way better than Dearden and light years ahead of Milford. I don't actually think anyone was better in our team.
Wot? You're saying Croft was best Bronco on ground tonight.....??

Ron Burgundy Anchorman GIF

Geez I'm glad I missed this game.

I said in the pre match thread i didnt expect us to back up after our penrith effort, sadly looks like i was spot on.

I hope kev has something else up his sleeve apart from passionate speeches because they'll lose their effectiveness if they're the go to every week.

I think one thing that looks evident with other teams is the passing from dummy half, and I'm assuming that's what you mean by width.

Going wide after a nothing slow ptb doesn't put any pressure on the defence, but a 30m bullet pass from DH onto the halves chest suddenly gets him outside the rushing inside defence and doesn't give the outside defence time to race up.

At present we go settlers to the post and then clunky passes for a block play... zero pressure on the defence.
The service could be better but the issue is their formations. They're far too bunched and what ends happening is that they'll have two attackers running at the one defender and that makes it easy for the defence to make a decision. The key to attacking the line is creating doubt and making the opposition make a mistake which isn't possible when you fail to isolate defenders.

The easiest way to do that is to spread out and have options on each play. Play short or out the back, and have a few pet plays for each team if you notice something about their defence. If they rush up early then be prepared to kick behind the line for Isaako, Dearden, Mead etc.

They need to get back to one of your favourite pet plays where the five eighth plays as the quasi fullback and goes the cut-out to the winger. That's where the points are for the Broncos.

Storm in 2019. 458 tackles out of 511. 89.63%
Broncos in 20. 297 tackles out of 325. 91.38%

Pretty sure you can do the math. He's a tremendous tackler and your perception is clearly wrong.

Last year, last year, blah blah.

Tonight Dearden defended with 90.5% efficiency. Croft with 79.6%. He was not a tremendous tackler tonight.

Walters wasn't wrong when he blamed ball control. Our halves are spuds so we need as much to go our way as possible and limit the opposition's opportunities. We held on to the ball last week and made the Panthers have to work for it, which resulted in them making more errors than they normally would. Tonight we just didn't respect the fucking ball and just handed it to them on a platter.

Like @Big Pete said, they weren't turning points in the game, but an Eels player barrels in to Isaako while he is in mid-air taking a bomb, making him lose it, and not a peep, even the commentators were just saying he pinballed off another player (so what?). But earlier Sivo takes the ball and kicks out with both legs, instigating the contact with our player and we are penalised. It just feels like there are too many small battles to overcome before we can even start to become competitive.

Active Now

• Kev_Guz
  • Lozza
  • Fitzy
  • Emanon
  • BruiserMk1
  • Astro
  • Howie
  • Ironbroncos
  • KickHaas
  • Rookie Alan
  • johnny plath
  • FACTHUNT
  • Robboi_321
  • Wolfie
  • broncos4life
  • winslow_wong
  • Bucking Beads
  • jarro65
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.