Round 7 - Eels vs Broncos

Not sure what to say. I feared this would happen after last week's effort.
Only we would make an 80 metre break, then knock on and concede in the next set. Having said that, only we would drop the opening kick-off then not number up in the first set of the game.
We are dead set fucked.
We are Newcastle 2015-16. Kev won't fix this, only new spine positions with half a clue will.
If I was Coates' dad I'd be saying fucking take whatever $$ Storm are offering and go. JAC was a skinny plodder before he went there.
I'm a fucking Broncos tragic and have been since day dot. I wish I could say it's just a game and be ok with it, actually I envy people that can do that. It's fucked how much the team being like this affects me.
Thanks for listening, had to get it off my chest😂😂
JAC was absolutely no plodder. He was very young still but he looked like an absolute star in the making.

They don’t know what they are doing in defence. You can’t blame a weight of possession for conceding the first try on your line with the eels first set of the game. All year they have been stripped for numbers soo easily on the edges, they don’t communicate and all just do their own thing, some slide, others race up, others retreat. Seven rounds in and they haven’t improved, even last week when they showed effort, the tries Penrith scored were just training drills. It’s amateur hour.

Storm in 2019. 458 tackles out of 511. 89.63%
Broncos in 20. 297 tackles out of 325. 91.38%

Pretty sure you can do the math. He's a tremendous tackler and your perception is clearly wrong.
He got ran through like he wasnt there for a try tonight - something you would lambast the **** out of Milford for.

He got ran through like he wasnt there for a try tonight - something you would lambast the **** out of Milford for.
Goodness, did he? ****, must be a rare thing for a half to get smashed by a forward. Milford failed in ISC. Croft wasn't the big problem tonight. There were times last year Milford wasn't the problem either and I praised Milfords last two defensive performances. The halves didn't cost us the game tonight but they weren't brilliant either.

Halves weren't the issue tonight, it's obvious Kev has given them a very basic gameplan, bomb it to the corners and rely on our forward to crash over for a try

JAC was absolutely no plodder. He was very young still but he looked like an absolute star in the making.
Yeah I was probably exaggerating a bit in the mood I'm in but my point was he went to Storm worth squat and is leaving a superstar. Xavier should absolutely do this if possible, as much as I don't want to lose him.

It also doesn't help when you lose your captain during the warm-up. Lexi has clearly gotten on but if nothing else his presence allows the Broncos to get their rotations right. Riki is a quality prospect but he's just ready for that starting role. The Broncos are trying to rely on his edge play just like the Eels were using Papali'i and Cartwright but he just gets manhandled and it relieves all the pressure.

The only time the Broncos had any success with their edge forward in a formation was in the second half when Brodie played short to Pangai Jr who got his arm free. It seemed like the Eels had the support runner (Farnworth? Isaako?) covered before the pass but it looked likely.

The Broncos need to play with more width. When I look at the team, the two most likely try-scorers are the wingers Oates and Coates. I think they need to get them the ball as much as possible if only to stretch the defence. Right now constantly sending Haas, Pangai, Carrigan, Riki etc. into brick walls isn't helping anything.

The Broncos need to put that cross-field kick for Coates in the back-pocket for awhile.

Storm in 2019. 458 tackles out of 511. 89.63%
Broncos in 20. 297 tackles out of 325. 91.38%

Pretty sure you can do the math. He's a tremendous tackler and your perception is clearly wrong.
I am not questioning his tackling efficiency but he is known to turn in easily and leave his men out wide in the lurch. All I am saying is that the current right side defensively, as seen, isn’t working

Yeah I was probably exaggerating a bit in the mood I'm in but my point was he went to Storm worth squat and is leaving a superstar. Xavier should absolutely do this if possible, as much as I don't want to lose him.
I know what you're saying, it wasn't like Addo-Carr was an instant starter for the Tigers. He was just a really handy back-up option when he was signed by the Storm. Maybe he would have gone onto become something more at the Tigers but they were obviously non-commital after he went and signed Melbourne.

The funny thing is they brought in Addo-Carr to replace Koroibete who they signed from Wests in pretty much the exact same scenario. Wests had pulled the pin on the experiment and Melbourne offered Matt Lodge as a trade.

I don't know what Kevvy can do to at the moment. Once Staggs comes back I suppose it would be best just to leave most backline players in their position and work on our defensive combinations. The other big problem we have is ball control which gifts other teams cheap field position and us always defending our line. The boys proved they can do it like the game last week but maybe Kevvy just has to go back to teaching the basics at training like turning your body towards the ball when receiving it and stuff like that because at the moment till they fix the ball control problem everything else doesn't matter.

It also doesn't help when you lose your captain during the warm-up. Lexi has clearly gotten on but if nothing else his presence allows the Broncos to get their rotations right. Riki is a quality prospect but he's just ready for that starting role. The Broncos are trying to rely on his edge play just like the Eels were using Papali'i and Cartwright but he just gets manhandled and it relieves all the pressure.

The only time the Broncos had any success with their edge forward in a formation was in the second half when Brodie played short to Pangai Jr who got his arm free. It seemed like the Eels had the support runner (Farnworth? Isaako?) covered before the pass but it looked likely.

The Broncos need to play with more width. When I look at the team, the two most likely try-scorers are the wingers Oates and Coates. I think they need to get them the ball as much as possible if only to stretch the defence. Right now constantly sending Haas, Pangai, Carrigan, Riki etc. into brick walls isn't helping anything.

The Broncos need to put that cross-field kick for Coates in the back-pocket for awhile.
I think one thing that looks evident with other teams is the passing from dummy half, and I'm assuming that's what you mean by width.

Going wide after a nothing slow ptb doesn't put any pressure on the defence, but a 30m bullet pass from DH onto the halves chest suddenly gets him outside the rushing inside defence and doesn't give the outside defence time to race up.

At present we go settlers to the post and then clunky passes for a block play... zero pressure on the defence.

That's why I want blokes like Kennedy and Lodge to run into brick walls instead of Haas. I won't be upset if others don't agree but I'd rather Haas and TPJ play the second row out a bit wider. Tonight was perfect. I'd have started Lodge and Kennedy with Lexi out and replaced Lexi with Haas. In such humidity it just didn't make sense to me to have a prop sitting there for 61 minutes. What's the point if, like usual we're down by 20 or 30. All of our forwards have an offload and we should play to our strength.

Active Now

• Lozza
  • Emanon
  • KickHaas
  • Ironbroncos
  • Rookie Alan
  • johnny plath
  • FACTHUNT
  • Robboi_321
  • Fitzy
  • Wolfie
  • broncos4life
  • Astro
  • winslow_wong
  • Bucking Beads
  • jarro65
  • Totally Unr3al
  • RodF
  • RolledOates
  • broncsgoat
  • Ghost of Vlansys
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.