Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

This was beautiful. Too bad Herbie doesn't pass to Oates.

This was very clever from Reynolds and Martin. Sniffing around the middle for some tired forwards. That creativity is something we've been missing for a long time.

We're going to see that quite a bit this season I reckon and we'll score quite a few tries off it.

Indeed - it's amazing to see the difference ARey and TMM bring to the team. Turning half chances into opportunity.

This was very clever from Reynolds and Martin. Sniffing around the middle for some tired forwards. That creativity is something we've been missing for a long time.

We're going to see that quite a bit this season I reckon and we'll score quite a few tries off it.

If Herbie gives early ball to Oates there, either Oates scores or it opens up for an inside ball back to Herbie for him to score.

Yeah I even pointed out that the first try was TMM positioning error, but he is effectively communicating with the line on defence and it's working, all of the players have been talking about it too, that contributes to his defence.

We where solid last night outside of that one try Sharks where contained that doesn't just magically appear to a team like ours.

How many changes do you want?

If Gamble is dropped for TMM and that doesn't work or our drop off in fullback makes us a massive net loss what then, keep playing musical chairs untill the players are fed up?

Errors are not the end all of judging a player if thats all they do but with nothing positive to show for it which isn't the case at all with Gamble.

Sharks before we played them where seen as a legitimate top 4 side, lets not forget that.
The sharks try wasn’t a TMM positioning error though. Our markers were offside so TMM went up in the line to make a tackle. They got an offload leaving no one at fullback. If he didn’t run up they could have just walked through the line without the grubber. What should have happened is haas should have gotten back onside and been at the back to clean it up instead of standing 1-2m away from the try line doing nothing.

Personally didn't have in issue with that at all.
I put more blame on Haas than TMM. As I said before. He had to do it because our markers were called offside. They should have run back and gotten back to defuse the kick after TMM went up.

Herbie may come across as a bit of a ball hog, but I just think he lacks the confidence to pass in general, but particularly when he is close to the opposition defensive line. I don't think he quite understands when to do what, and just takes the tackle instead.

A few times in the past it seems like might be thinking of passing, but then he hesitates and holds on to it in case of an error. Other times he angles his run towards the sideline which begins to crowd Oates, and then he decides to hold on to it to avoid Oates being taken into touch.

I do think he can get better at passing though through practice. He just needs to spend more time at it at training He needs to relentlesly practice any situation where he makes a linebreak, and he has players either side of him, with only the opposition fullback Infront of him. Make him sum up the situation and decide the correct option. Keep repeating that until he makes the correct decision and lands the pass perfectly each time.

Once he can comfortably handle those situations, give him a few one on one lessons from Reynolds and TMM on how to straighten up and dig into the line. Teach him where he needs to be on the backline plays, where he should be catching it, and where he should be releasing it to Oates. If he can understand how to engage the opposition winger and centre, and then deliver a short pass or flick to an unmarked Oates, I think he would quickly gain the confidence to pass more often in real game situations. It's all about repetition.

Herbie seems like someone who would practice things in his own time, so let's get our best playmakers to invest some time into it, and teach him what to do. If he can get better there, we suddenly have genuine threats across our backline, and suddenly the top teams will get nervous coming up against us.

I remember something similar with Jack Reed. He was a bit of a hog for a bit, then there was a week where he obviously should have passed to set up a try and he didn't. The next week (could have even been after half time) a switch had been flicked and he set up his outside man a lot more.

Hopefully Walters is in Herbie's ear this week and he can open his eyes to his outside man a bit more.

I remember something similar with Jack Reed. He was a bit of a hog for a bit, then there was a week where he obviously should have passed to set up a try and he didn't. The next week (could have even been after half time) a switch had been flicked and he set up his outside man a lot more.

Hopefully Walters is in Herbie's ear this week and he can open his eyes to his outside man a bit more.
Might as well teach him something before he hightails it over to the other side of town.

I think the issue is the speed imbalance between oates and farnsworth. Farnsworth is quick, and agile. Oates takes time to build up speed. As a result , farnsworth usually feels more confident of making a gap himself, rather than passing.
As a result he angles out his run outwards to make gaps, but it is ultimately counterproductive to oates' run.
On the line though, there is no reason and i think its just instinctive from general play,rather than passing to what is essentially a prop running wing.
Oates is faster than most props, but inside the 20 you have to use him like a prop, with him running hard onto a late ball.
Thats hard to set up when one bloke needs to ball early to use speed and agility, with the other power and strength.
Oates stands shallower than most wingers for the 5/8th's cut out that puts him one on one with a smaller winger so that doesnt help either.
Ideally they would swap sides or oates taking an inside run but its hard.

I'd make 1-2 changes. I'd be getting either TMM or Walters to 6, this would depend on Turpins fitness.

I actually would make a 3rd and give Haas a rest. I think he needs to be given some time to recover and not make his shoulder worse.

And on the Sharks, they've improved heaps. But I think we need to look a bit closer before calling them a legit top 4 side. Lost to the Raiders and got pumped by Storm by about 18 from memory. They had an impressive win against the Eels, but have had a weak draw.
Scoring 32 in a half .
Then conceding 24 whilst scoring only 2 shows their frailty .

I like idea of Haas and Carrigan starting and Flegler and Willison coming off the bench. That would be an amazing front row rotation.

Does anyone have any news on when Willison is due back? He's been out for 8 months so far I think, ACL's are a bugger of an injury.
Why worry about Willison ?
Kennedy is in career best form .

I put more blame on Haas than TMM. As I said before. He had to do it because our markers were called offside. They should have run back and gotten back to defuse the kick after TMM went up.
I think because he was behind the PTB he was offside and out of play . Prolly would have gotten 10 in da bin if he intervened . Could be onside next tackle but not the one they scored on .

The way he threw his hands up as Moylan ran past him tells me the ref told him stay out of it .

Herbie may come across as a bit of a ball hog, but I just think he lacks the confidence to pass in general, but particularly when he is close to the opposition defensive line. I don't think he quite understands when to do what, and just takes the tackle instead.

A few times in the past it seems like might be thinking of passing, but then he hesitates and holds on to it in case of an error. Other times he angles his run towards the sideline which begins to crowd Oates, and then he decides to hold on to it to avoid Oates being taken into touch.

I do think he can get better at passing though through practice. He just needs to spend more time at it at training He needs to relentlesly practice any situation where he makes a linebreak, and he has players either side of him, with only the opposition fullback Infront of him. Make him sum up the situation and decide the correct option. Keep repeating that until he makes the correct decision and lands the pass perfectly each time.

Once he can comfortably handle those situations, give him a few one on one lessons from Reynolds and TMM on how to straighten up and dig into the line. Teach him where he needs to be on the backline plays, where he should be catching it, and where he should be releasing it to Oates. If he can understand how to engage the opposition winger and centre, and then deliver a short pass or flick to an unmarked Oates, I think he would quickly gain the confidence to pass more often in real game situations. It's all about repetition.

Herbie seems like someone who would practice things in his own time, so let's get our best playmakers to invest some time into it, and teach him what to do. If he can get better there, we suddenly have genuine threats across our backline, and suddenly the top teams will get nervous coming up against us.
Needs a summer in a touch footy comp .
Learning to set up his wingers . I was saying the other day , I have seen gun junior soccer players come over to league . They can step you like you were a post . But draw and pass is not in their nature . They wanna step the defender and go .

One thing I noticed in the last 3 home games - Roosters, Bulldogs and Sharks last night - our team's warm up on the field before the game is much shorter than the opposition and the warmup only consisted with kicking and catching practice.

No sprints and contact. Would it be that they do that in the sheds?

It does reflect in the second half scoring against the Bulldogs and Sharks including the defensive effort against the Sharks.

They have a room in the sheds where they do all of their sprints and contact work.

When they go on the field, they generally only do kicking and catching.

All he has to do is draw and pass , why he didn't instinctively do that is a worry, because it's not his first time playing with the horse blinkers on . It's the creativity of the play , I really enjoyed as we , yes , haven't seen this in their game and it's been missing alright. KW should have sent a rocket up Herbie for that , because it's not only a missed opportunity , but it's not playing for each other, promoting it to a person in a better position. Individually this roster all have strengths , but collectively they have a greater ability to play really good footy like this I feel. KW hopefully is working on their belief and extracting the best out of them to produce this type of attack . Hopefully more game time with these players in these positions and no injuries will give us more consistent results. that's what the good players and good Coaches bring. Walters and Gamble should hunt around that middle more also , give the forwards an opportunity to offload, create some second phase play. If we've got the push up the middle , we've got arey to sweep it wide. On the plus side the comp doesn't know what we're capable of yet , but either do we. Hopefully confidence will bring that. Mistakes aside I'm seeing good signs .

Yes, it's a bit much to expect a first grade centre who wants $500k+ to be able to pass a football.

This was beautiful. Too bad Herbie doesn't pass to Oates. This was very clever from Reynolds and Martin. Sniffing around the middle for some tired forwards. That creativity is something we've been missing for a long time.

Just need to cut out Herbie and that's a try every time.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Wolfie
  • TimWhatley
  • Midean
  • Broncorob
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Brocko
  • jd87
  • MrMoore
  • theshed
  • GCBRONCO
  • Strop
  • Old Mate
  • I bleed Maroon
  • KateBroncos1812
  • leon.bott
  • FACTHUNT
  • Dash
  • Mustafur
  • HVbronco
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.