Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

If Maranta stayed at the same pace whilst backing Nikorima up, he overtakes him. He had to slow down.

if that was him slowing down to keep pace with Nikorima (although i would think he is slower than Nikorima anyway), then he has poor pace control. because once he took his foot off the pedal, he also appeared to take himself out of a position to take the pass, should it come his way.

Luckily for us Milford ensured he was in a position to take the pass, as a good fullback should.

I still think the real knock here is on Kodi not doing a good job of setting up his support player.

But I do find it interesting that Milford is the one who is backing up twice rather than Maranta.

if that was him slowing down to keep pace with Nikorima (although i would think he is slower than Nikorima anyway), then he has poor pace control. because once he took his foot off the pedal, he also appeared to take himself out of a position to take the pass, should it come his way.

Luckily for us Milford ensured he was in a position to take the pass, as a good fullback should.
Come man . The pass was a lottery. You talk as if it was an intentional and precise delivery. It panned out ,and was great lets just leave it at that

I still think the real knock here is on Kodi not doing a good job of setting up his support player.

But I do find it interesting that Milford is the one who is backing up twice rather than Maranta.
Twice ? If you are referring to him trotting past Blair on the previous ruck then you should note that Maranta was there as well.

Twice ? If you are referring to him trotting past Blair on the previous ruck then you should note that Maranta was there as well.

I am. And if Blair does get his arm free, Maranta is not in a position to take it. Milford is the only one who could have received an offload.

Come man . The pass was a lottery. You talk as if it was an intentional and precise delivery. It panned out ,and was great lets just leave it at that

you're right it was a risky pass, but it came off due to having someone in a position to take advantage of it. It doesn't mean Maranta shouldn't have kept himself in a position for it to have been him take advantage. Milford ensured he was ready in case a pass came his way, and was in a position to take advantage of it, the pass came and Milford was rewarded for putting himself in that position ... great support play (even if the pass was risky)

If the fullbacks job is to back up players does that mean everyone else should clock off and let the fullback do it? Milford is just doing what every other player on every team should be doing and backing up someone when they make a break. Fullback, five-eight, prop forward. If they can back up the player after they make a break then they should.

you're right it was a risky pass, but it came off due to having someone in a position to take advantage of it. It doesn't mean Maranta shouldn't have kept himself in a position for it to have been him take advantage. Milford ensured he was ready in case a pass came his way, and was in a position to take advantage of it, the pass came and Milford was rewarded for putting himself in that position ... great support play (even if the pass was risky)
Yeah but if the pass had gone to Maranta.... And so on. Isn't it great Kodi was so well supported. I think that is an tangible change that has occurred this year. Last year that pass does not go to hand. I have no proof of that it's just a feeling.

Last edited:
I thought all three involved in the last part all played a significant part, each positioned as well as can be expected. Niko could have drawn and passed and increased the risk by surging ahead and Maranta positioned himself accordingly. Milford also positioned himself well and fortunately it covered one variable. All in all they all performed well.

Nikorima guns it after he looks for a support player and sees no one there. He was looking to the right for a support player.

Maranta had the chance to come up in support on the right. He did not.

Last edited:
OMFG we scored the try! Who the hell cares?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Exactly.

Dont know if its been mentioned here but Parker was interviewed on MMM today. Apparently after McGuires try (which was to the left of the posts), Parker took the kick from in front.

Parker fessed up and said that when he went back, the ref was standing in front of the posts so that's where he took it from and nobody questioned it.

I must admit, I was at the game and didn't notice it.

I'm pretty sure the first Milford try should have been a penalty to Eels.

Since when were players who are in front of the play the ball allowed to take part in the play?

Last edited:

FMD.....
facepalm.gif

Some of the all time great 5/8's have been great support players.

Exactly.

Dont know if its been mentioned here but Parker was interviewed on MMM today. Apparently after McGuires try (which was to the left of the posts), Parker took the kick from in front.

Parker fessed up and said that when he went back, the ref was standing in front of the posts so that's where he took it from and nobody questioned it.

I must admit, I was at the game and didn't notice it.

I didn't notice that.

I'm pretty sure the first Milford try should have been a penalty to Eels.

Since when were players who are in front of the play the ball allowed to take part in the play?

Good point and I never considered that.

"fortunately" for us it evens out because of that dodgy forward pass call.

Active Now

• mrslong
  • Santa
  • FACTHUNT
  • davidp
  • Mr Fourex
  • Fitzy
  • Jedhead
  • Culhwch
  • ivanhungryjak
  • mieko
  • ettybay
  • Fozz
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.