Round 8 Discussion

Which I think is what Arthur was getting at tbh. Still poor form though and Norman can just go EAD

but even as bad as these refs are, they bin something as blatant as that ...

although I had a Parra fan try and convince me today that not only was a sin bin unwarranted but the penalty was also BS, then went into rant mode blaming refs and not Normans stupidity for the loss :laugh:

What a hit by Luke Lewis!

Tell you what, as much as the Blues want to go to the next generation Luke Lewis is the type of player they shouldn't be sleeping on. I'd have him well infront of Cartwright at this stage.

Shot there from Lewis. Flattened him.

Was there anything illegal in that hit from Holmes on Martin? Only caught a quick glimpse but had a hint of a shoulder charge.

That's a cruel blow for Penrith.

Ennis is such a fuckwit
always pulling that shit and it's totally unnecessary
if there is on person the no punch rule shouldn't be used on is him
he takes advantage of it something shocking these days and the refs need to start pulling him up for it

This game is highly entertaining despite them blowing 13 penalties. The defense from Cronulla has been fantastic.

Ennis is such a ****wit
always pulling that shit and it's totally unnecessary
if there is on person the no punch rule shouldn't be used on is him
he takes advantage of it something shocking these days and the refs need to start pulling him up for it
Ennis should have been sent to the bin for that, total grub !!

Worrying signs there for Penrith.

They had enough territory and the possession to rack up a score and haven't scored a solitary point. I've long since believed that Anthony Griffin has modeled his attacking game on Wayne Bennett. Wayne doesn't like structured play too often and will often let the boys do what they want. The difference is that Bennett brings in a team that excels at that style. I look at Penrith and the only player who can take advantage of it is Bryce Cartwright. Bryce is a great young talent, but you can't rely on an edge backrow to set up your points - it has to come down to your halves and that's where Penrith is failing at this stage.

One contest that had me interested in the clash was between the two former Broncos, Michael Ennis and Peter Wallace. Both played a big part in our 2008 season and I thought this afternoon's game would shape as an Origin audition. So far, Ennis has easily outplayed Wallace but he continues to come up with plays that hinder his team's chances (eg. the dumb penalty after the Lewis hit, the seven tackle grubber).

8-0 Sharks means that there is still plenty of time for Penrith but they need to be first to score.

geez paul gallen is a good player, IMO he still has a few more years left in the tank, ive also got to add, this game is one of the most intense and fast games ive seen all year

Last edited:
Worrying signs there for Penrith.

They had enough territory and the possession to rack up a score and haven't scored a solitary point. I've long since believed that Anthony Griffin has modeled his attacking game on Wayne Bennett. Wayne doesn't like structured play too often and will often let the boys do what they want. The difference is that Bennett brings in a team that excels at that style. I look at Penrith and the only player who can take advantage of it is Bryce Cartwright. Bryce is a great young talent, but you can't rely on an edge backrow to set up your points - it has to come down to your halves and that's where Penrith is failing at this stage.

One contest that had me interested in the clash was between the two former Broncos, Michael Ennis and Peter Wallace. Both played a big part in our 2008 season and I thought this afternoon's game would shape as an Origin audition. So far, Ennis has easily outplayed Wallace but he continues to come up with plays that hinder his team's chances (eg. the dumb penalty after the Lewis hit, the seven tackle grubber).
8-0 Sharks means that there is still plenty of time for Penrith but they need to be first to score.

you cant forget Tyrone Peachey, he is the definition of second phase play

This is great from Penrith but poor from the Sharks

jamie soward has got to be the worst half in the game, to me he is on the same level as jeff robson

you cant forget Tyrone Peachey, he is the definition of second phase play

But he isn't going to create opportunities for others. He's a weapon in his own right, but when it comes to players who can actually initiate a play they're sorely lacking.

jamie soward has got to be the worst half in the game, to me he is on the same level as jeff robson

Soward may not be at 2010 level but he is far from the worst half in the game.

No offense dude but comments like this really makes you look like you none or little Rugby League knowledge.

Last edited:
So close yet so far.

I don't think there's a more fitting description of Hook's coaching career.

I'll give the players some credit, they did well to get themselves back in the game. The skill, particularly from Cartwright and Fisher-Harris was sensational and they did themselves and their team mates proud. What concerns me is that they didn't score off any set pieces. A lot of it was just a ball bouncing the right way and players throwing caution to the wind when they had nothing left to lose. That brand of footy will get you on a YouTube highlights video but it isn't going to win you games in September.

More concerning is their defence. At 14-8, Penrith should have really pressed on and closed the game out. Instead what ended up happening is that Townsend went straight through Wallace like he was nothing and changed the complexion of the game. The defensive structures aren't good enough and that's really where Hook falls short. Any coach can teach Bennett-ball, it isn't complicated but getting teams to defend is an entirely different ball game. Penrith are just too fragile and once again they've been made to pay.

That isn't to take away from Cronulla. They didn't have the happiest afternoon and yet still came out as deserved winners. However, the way they were able to hit back with ease was very disappointing.

What concerns me is that they didn't score off any set pieces. A lot of it was just a ball bouncing the right way and players throwing caution to the wind when they had nothing left to lose. That brand of footy will get you on a YouTube highlights video but it isn't going to win you games in September.

Nailed it.

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Bucking Beads
  • Allo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Battler
  • Wolfie
  • Fitzy
  • Xzei
  • Financeguy
  • broncos4life
  • GCBRONCO
  • Bish
  • Strop
  • Johnny92
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Foordy
  • Jazza
  • phoenix
  • broncsgoat
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.