Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Wonder how many tries Boyd has let in over two seasons with this club obsession to play 13 in line defence...must be 10+ by now.

24 hours later and this game still annoys me. Oh well onto next week

Last night was the first gave EVER that I turned off a Broncos game early.

That try on half time, when the buzzer sounded I knew that the second half would be just as painful. But I thought "I'll tough it out and see if I can spot any improvement or small glimmers of hope".

Then I got a one-word message on my phone and that was all it took. Not only were the Broncos defeated, but so was my resolve.

Any players that aren't in the plans moving forward, just get rid of them now. Anyone in the team not happy with what they're being asked to do, you too. Sorry Jet, that includes you. I just fucking hope that we're not in the same position next year and realise we let all the good ones go and there's nothing left but a spud coach. I will decline from giving Seibold a spray right now, but FMD I'm close.

What was the one word message?

How do I word this. Most of his **** ups have not been totally on him. He's being put in far too many "last line of defence" scenarios because his team keep dropping the ball, conceding filed position, conceding line breaks, and allowing our opposition to do whatever the **** they want in attack. No fullback in the comp has had to contend with as many do-or-die situations as Boyd this year, and he is saving a lot of them, far more than he lets through and than people give him credit for.

But he is the captain, our fullback, and our most experienced player, and needs to be held to a higher standard than, say, Oates (who I will take one more dig at and mention his 4 errors last night). The fullback needs to have the nerve to take those situations and trust himself, and make the play with a positive mindset. I can't honestly say that he's doing that.

Maybe it's like someone else said, maybe he thinks he'd be letting the team down by stepping down. He's been celebrated before for battling through adversity and coming out the other side, but maybe this time he needs to realise that "coming out the other side" this time doesn't necessarily mean regaining the form of 3-4 years ago. Maybe it's being honest that he won't get there again, and with it, be able to remove the burden off his shoulders. And just be Darius Boyd, ex-NRL player, 2x Premiership Winner, 300 gamer, one-time greatest try-scorer in Origin history, etc. There's no shame in that.

Good post Morkel.

I'd like to see a compilation video of Darius falling over and leading to tries over the last couple of years. Scratch that, I'm a busy guy and wouldn't have the time to watch it. Seriously, I make a living in human movement and performance and all it indicates is he is well beyond his athletic prime. His balance and reaction time are literally shot. It is sad to see really.

I think you're wasting your time. Some people prefer to just thrive off the negativity.

Much like you, I'm prepared to ride it out. We'll come good again.
Why is it that those who sometimes call out Seibold are negative while those who call out McCullough and Boyd constantly aren't being negative? I think you'll find that a lot of our problems lie somewhere in the middle of our players being terrible and our coach not having a clue

Why is it that those who sometimes call out Seibold are negative while those who call out McCullough and Boyd constantly aren't being negative? I think you'll find that a lot of our problems lie somewhere in the middle of our players being terrible and our coach not having a clue
It's a pretty simple concept. Because he's not a longterm problem.....yet. He very well may be one day, but everyone gave Boyd and McCullough more than 8 games no?

Hasn't got a single supporter left @Tom. I honestly think something will give this week. Most likely a shift to the centres but a GI style retirement would be best. I've gone from being in the they will never move him camp to this is the week where justified Full back change comes to a head.

I'm still a supporter. Still think he has a lot to offer, but just not at fullback.

These are good questions and obviously, I don't have all the answers. I'm not part of the Brisbane Broncos coaching staff, I'm not part of the recruitment and retention committee, I'm only a fan from the outside looking in like we all are but I've been a Broncos man through and through for over 20 years, that doesn't make my opinion better or worse than everyone else but the Broncos are a big part of my life so I do have opinions.

Do we sack Seibold right now or at the end of this season? No, we don't. We have invested in this guy so we have to ride it out at least for a year or two. We have to show faith and leadership and at least give Seibold a season or two to do his thing. Do I personally think Seibold is the man to take us back to glory? At this point in time I honestly don't know. I'm saying this in a completely unemotional state and looking at it from a realistic stand point. He's had 8 games at the helm, he's only won 2 games out of 6 so far. He's been training us since December 2018.

He took Souths to one game within a GF last season in his 1st season as NRL head coach. I have a feeling deep down that he's a 1 season wonder but that could also be me being negative because we aren't going so well. Things can change. Things can turn around, absolutely but at this point in time, Seibold, his coaching staff and the entire team hasn't shown me any hope that things will turn around. No, we do not sack Seibold right now or at the end of the season. He deserves the respect and to be given time to implement his way of doing things.

How much time should we give him? That depends on who you ask. Me? I'd give him 2, maybe 3 seasons to take us back to glory. Being an NRL head coach is ruthless, he knows that. Being a NRL head coach of the Brisbane Broncos is unlike anything he's ever dealt with I'm sure, he's finding that out right now. Will he last? Can he turn it around? I HOPE he does, I have FAITH the team can wake up to themselves and play to their potential so sacking Seibold is not the answer right now.

Do we sack a number of players? I absolutely think we should. Look, the squad needs a dramatic change. It's become stale and predictable. The attitude in this team stinks and it's only gotten worse this season so I definitely think we need to cut the fat from the team. Who do we cut from the team? That's a tough one because every player can play good in certain games but the problem is the entire team doesn't play to their individual standards consistently week to week.

I'm not happy with how Isaako has been going this season. Great goal kicker but I'm sure we can replace him with someone else who can do his job better, especially under the high ball. I'm a fan of Oates but the guy can't hold onto a ball and he's gotten worse this season, he's a bit of a lumber jack, big and slow but he can get us great yardage out of our own end most times. TPJ, yeah this guys attitude stinks. Has 1 amazing game out of 20 and is just a bit of a meat head. No brains. Actually, that's unfair because the entire team as a whole plays dumb football, not just him but I wouldn't be upset if we lost TPJ and brought in someone hungry and consistent. Milford is WAY overpaid and I would not be unhappy if he left us. He's gone downhill dramatically since 2016. He's lost his lethal running game, his defence is weak and he drops too many balls. Boyd...yeah, he's gotta go for obvious reasons. He's just not the player that he once was. Great servant, loves the Broncos but has failed as a leader and as a captain.

I'm not sure how to handle this with the salary cap, I can't answer that as I'm not part of the clubs recruitment team but I'm sure who they have in there right now aren't stupid. They know how to manage finances. We can work it out. I say we need to bring in 1 or 2 really experienced guys into the team, from other clubs or where ever. I believe letting Mcguire go was a mistake. We lack leaders and experience. I'd like to bring in Luke Keary to steer the ship and have Deardon play outside him. We need an experienced organiser. Keary's won 2 premierships and been mentored by Cronk, he'd be a great recruit. Has a great passing and kicking game, not afraid to bark orders and has leadership qualities.

I'd also bring in an experienced forward, someone who will stand up to the opposition and not back down when times get tough. Someone who leads by example but can also give a rocket to these young guys and tell them to step up. A leader. Or perhaps we can develop someone like that from the lower grades? Who has that potential? The only shining light in our team so far this year is Payne Haas. He's going to be exceptional in 2 or 3 season. I'd be grooming him to be our forwards leader. Getting him out of his comfort zone by doing SAS/military style exercises with leadership courses so it gives him confidence to speak to his team mates in the heat of the battle. He seems quiet and withdrawn, this can change and he can develop since he's just a kid.

Another thing, the problems we are lacking within the team all stem down to attitude. Our attitude is atrocious and the way to fix this is by cutting the dead weight from the team and changing it up but also, Seibold needs to learn how to become a much better man manager. I'm obviously speculating from the outside looking in but he doesn't strike me as a coach who's great at getting a feel for each individual player and knowing what to say, what not to say to motivate them and get them up and ready for each game. He loves his stats and technical side of training and how the game is played and that's great, I like that he's not really old school in that regard, but the players look pretty unhappy and dropping balls, giving away penalties, missing tackles all stems from poor attitude so Seibold should focus on his man management skills a little more. The guys must train hard and be disciplined and focused, but they also have to thrive on it and be happy and be together as one. Right now, we aren't no where near a team.

Anyway, these are just my opinions and thoughts. Appreciate you asking me my opinion. What do you think we need to do to take us back to the powerhouse club we once were?

Mate, quality post, and you and I are in an agreement on a few things. I also thing realistically we have to give Seibold at least two years and maybe three. If partway through the third season the team is still struggling, it maybe time for him to hit the road. As to who I would replace him with, if his career remains on the same trajectory, the best coach going around in my view is Trent Robinson. By that time he might be looking to move on from the Roosters. You do not have his record without being a good coach.

Re attitude, I absolutely agree with you. Our attitude as a whole has stunk for a few years and if anything is worse this year. It needs to be sorted and sorted quickly. If there are issues between players or some players and the coach that needs to be talked out and resolved. If there are issues between the players and club management, ditto.

We completely lack confidence. Whilst we are making fundamental errors which places further pressure on ourselves, we just compound that. A few gritty wins in a row would make such a difference to this side.

Re players, I don't think there is anything we can do about McCullough this season we are stuck with him at the moment. I thought he overall played better last night so I would be pressing him to build on that form each week if he can.

I agree with you that Isaako needs a short sharp stint back in the Intrust Super Club and only if his form substantially turns should he be selected.

Boyd has to be moved from fullback and I think try Bird there. Stagg and Roberts in the centres and Boyd to wing maybe. If Roberts goes as well, Boyd to centre and bring a winger in until Isaako regains form.

I note a lot of people have talked about moving Milford back to fullback. It may be the case that Milford does not want to move back there, in which case that is not an option. If that is something that he wanted to do, and we negotiated a Boyd retirement or move to Superleague, then work the off-season with Milford at fullback and either Paix or Tanah Boyd in the halves. If Milford does not want to go back there, they should be looking seriously at Gutherson in my view.

Our problems remain the same as I highlighted in the pre-season in no particular order:

1. Our spine;

2. Our defence and defensive structure;

3. Our attitude;

4. Our consistency or lack thereof.

Mate, quality post, and you and I are in an agreement on a few things. I also thing realistically we have to give Seibold at least two years and maybe three. If partway through the third season the team is still struggling, it maybe time for him to hit the road. As to who I would replace him with, if his career remains on the same trajectory, the best coach going around in my view is Trent Robinson. By that time he might be looking to move on from the Roosters. You do not have his record without being a good coach.

Re attitude, I absolutely agree with you. Our attitude as a whole has stunk for a few years and if anything is worse this year. It needs to be sorted and sorted quickly. If there are issues between players or some players and the coach that needs to be talked out and resolved. If there are issues between the players and club management, ditto.

We completely lack confidence. Whilst we are making fundamental errors which places further pressure on ourselves, we just compound that. A few gritty wins in a row would make such a difference to this side.

Re players, I don't think there is anything we can do about McCullough this season we are stuck with him at the moment. I thought he overall played better last night so I would be pressing him to build on that form each week if he can.

I agree with you that Isaako needs a short sharp stint back in the Intrust Super Club and only if his form substantially turns should he be selected.

Boyd has to be moved from fullback and I think try Bird there. Stagg and Roberts in the centres and Boyd to wing maybe. If Roberts goes as well, Boyd to centre and bring a winger in until Isaako regains form.

I note a lot of people have talked about moving Milford back to fullback. It may be the case that Milford does not want to move back there, in which case that is not an option. If that is something that he wanted to do, and we negotiated a Boyd retirement or move to Superleague, then work the off-season with Milford at fullback and either Paix or Tanah Boyd in the halves. If Milford does not want to go back there, they should be looking seriously at Gutherson in my view.

Our problems remain the same as I highlighted in the pre-season in no particular order:

1. Our spine;

3. Our attitude;

Great post and we definitely agree on alot of things but the most important thing we agree on is there must be changes.

1. Our spine;

3. Our attitude;

If we finish bottom four, i'd sack him. Thats just unacceptable. If he doesnt start changing things to build for the future, i'd sack him, we just cant keep going down the current path. We are 2 from 6, thats just pathetic with our squad.

I always said i'd judge after 8 games or so, and its just not good enough after 8 games. I actually dont think effort is an issue, but for some reason we just cant do the fundamentals right. Maybe we are working too much on trying to play clever football instead of just playing simple, smart footy.

You're straying further and further from every point you're making. Afford our coach the same leeway. Seibold still has time to make the semifinals, even if he doesn't, you're not allowing him the same time you afforded any other coach.

You want to win this season, next season and every other season until the end of time. Not possible.

He's making the required changes necessary for a premiership and all of it takes time. Just like it did for fucking MacGuire.
When did Bennett receive this leeway you talk about? When did he have the team playing this badly? I get that he didn't make the finals when it was a top five but we were playing far better than this, even in 1999. There's just so much bullshit being spread by both sides at this point. The way this shit went down in the off season, the promises he made to the media, he doesn't deserve as much leeway as you'd think. People are affording him leeway with winning a premiership but the excuses for the way he has us playing are a fucking joke.

The whole team is the fucking scapegoat at this point. Nobody is doing well enough to keep their positions, from the monkeys in the head office to the idiots on the field giving away stupid, unnecessary penalties and dropping every fucking ball. We have a team of idiot s being coaches by someone who has to tell everyone how smart he is at every opportunity. He comes in and wipes the slate clean, forgetting the players need to learn the fundamentals. It's not because they're finally learning structures or whatever bullshit you guys want to spout. It's simply because they are too dumb to play a good game of footy.

Boyd has been shit, Isaako has been shit, Roberts has been shit, Bird has been shit, Milford has been shit, Nikorima was shit, Lodge has been shit, McCullough has been shit, Ofahengaue has been shit, Glenn has been shit, Gillett has been shit, TPJ has been shit and whatever bench Seibold decides to run out with every week has been shit and most of all this forum has been shit

If we finish bottom four, i'd sack him. Thats just unacceptable. If he doesnt start changing things to build for the future, i'd sack him, we just cant keep going down the current path. We are 2 from 6, thats just pathetic with our squad.

I always said i'd judge after 8 games or so, and its just not good enough after 8 games. I actually dont think effort is an issue, but for some reason we just cant do the fundamentals right. Maybe we are working too much on trying to play clever football instead of just playing simple, smart footy.

Of all the posters here I feel you are the one who is most broken from the way the season has unfolded so far. Chin up friend, things can only get better. There will be pain but it’ll get better.

Of all the posters here I feel you are the one who is most broken from the way the season has unfolded so far. Chin up friend, things can only get better. There will be pain but it’ll get better.

Its more disappointment than anything. We easily have the side to make a good impact. I honestly think it maybe time for them to even write off this year, and use it for development. That way, i think Seibold would get a bit of time and the pressure lifted off his shoulders.

It's a pretty simple concept. Because he's not a longterm problem.....yet. He very well may be one day, but everyone gave Boyd and McCullough more than 8 games no?
Only if we aren't taking into account the dumb shit Seibold did with Souths last year, and the off season hype that seems like a lie. Remember, people saw his flaws last year as well.

When did Bennett receive this leeway you talk about? When did he have the team playing this badly? I get that he didn't make the finals when it was a top five but we were playing far better than this, even in 1999. There's just so much bullshit being spread by both sides at this point. The way this shit went down in the off season, the promises he made to the media, he doesn't deserve as much leeway as you'd think. People are affording him leeway with winning a premiership but the excuses for the way he has us playing are a fucking joke.

The whole team is the fucking scapegoat at this point. Nobody is doing well enough to keep their positions, from the monkeys in the head office to the idiots on the field giving away stupid, unnecessary penalties and dropping every fucking ball. We have a team of idiot s being coaches by someone who has to tell everyone how smart he is at every opportunity. He comes in and wipes the slate clean, forgetting the players need to learn the fundamentals. It's not because they're finally learning structures or whatever bullshit you guys want to spout. It's simply because they are too dumb to play a good game of footy.

Boyd has been shit, Isaako has been shit, Roberts has been shit, Bird has been shit, Milford has been shit, Nikorima was shit, Lodge has been shit, McCullough has been shit, Ofahengaue has been shit, Glenn has been shit, Gillett has been shit, TPJ has been shit and whatever bench Seibold decides to run out with every week has been shit and most of all this forum has been shit
Fantastic post and spot on.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Fitzy
  • Waynesaurus
  • Foordy
  • Fozz
  • Strop
  • Xzei
  • Evander
  • broncos4life
  • Wolfie
  • Jazza
  • broncotville
  • GCBRONCO
  • Midean
  • Justwin
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.