Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

in a movement. It actually goes to who created the overlap or line break assist or kick leading up to the try.

Say someone puts a kick up. Winger catches it and passes it to the 2nd rower who dives over for a try. The kicker would get the assist. Generally.
I'm not sure that's how it would work in this case. The winger actually does most of the work here, surely he'd get the assist.

Maybe something like a half beats the opposition on the outside, throws a cut out pass to create a 2 on 1, and then the centre just draws and passes for a try.

Your point that I bagged Boyd - who is the laughing stock of the NRL - while defending Isaako, who scored two tries and kicked three goals, is one of your least compelling attempts to compose an argument yet. And you spent the last year going down on Macca's ship.
Still spinning, you might get dizzy soon.

The point was that you can back Isaako pretty hard despite his obvious deficiencies but you’re the first (2nd after UB) to shit on Boyd and McCullough when they’re both average but pretty safe for the most part. I don’t expect you to respond to this in an honest manner though. If you can’t see that Isaako has put us under more pressure and handed opposition teams more points than either of them then I don’t know what to say, maybe you should stick to copy/pasting other people’s opinions.

Still spinning, you might get dizzy soon.

The point was that you can back Isaako pretty hard despite his obvious deficiencies but you’re the first (2nd after UB) to shit on Boyd and McCullough when they’re both average but pretty safe for the most part. I don’t expect you to respond to this in an honest manner though. If you can’t see that Isaako has put us under more pressure and handed opposition teams more points than either of them then I don’t know what to say, maybe you should stick to copy/pasting other people’s opinions.

Hey, don't bring me into this. I actually agree with you for once, Isaako is putrid. I'd be dropping him before Boyd at this stage, as sad as that is to say.

It was a try assist, I meant throwing a pass/breaking the line themselves

I know what you meant. I was just being a bit liberal with my interpretation. Anyway, the net result is still the same, with the key point being getting through or past the line to score, yes?

Last edited:
I know what you meant. I was just being a bit liberal with my interpretation. Anyway, the net result is still the same, with the key point being getting through or past the line to score, yes?
Net result may be the same but I can’t remember the last time either Milf or Croft threw a pass that lead to a line break. It’s an important metric to be considered when rating your halves

Net result may be the same but I can’t remember the last time either Milf or Croft threw a pass that lead to a line break. It’s an important metric to be considered when rating your halves
Our halves definitely are not top raters that's for sure.

Just looking at some stats and I am amazed at a few of them. It just doesn't seem right ! I mean, take tackle busts as a team total, we're 6th in front of heavyweights, Raiders, Panthers and the Storm ! We've also had the least possession of any team, 16th in possession (total) with slightly less than 46%.

Just on tackle busts we have had 290 compared to the Storms 224!!! **** me dead that surprises me. There's other surprises too like we're 3rd in offloads so we're using what little ball we get. What about total kicks...last!!! What about errors? The Raiders and Roosters have both had more and we've been unhappy with our guys, ha.

Everyone knows we have been penalised the most so no surprise there. Here's a biggie. When it comes to engaging the line we are a dismal last but not just last, a very long last. Only 69 times compared to the top two, Sharks and Roosters with a whopping 192 and 177 respectively.

Some of these stats tell a more complete story especially that last one.

It would help to have an organised team with support runners, and also, I can remember a few nice passing moves. Manly and Knights matches and the 1st two games. Anyway, I do agree there ought to be more and I hope to see that against the Tigers. I can only see it getting better as combinations are built further. Having Fifita and Staggs back will help too. I am sure they will get to see a lot of ball. As always with this side, it's a work in progress

Just on the Dogs, Dean Pay must be big on decoy plays because they've used the most of any team and we've used the least. How strange that the Dogs have run almost 200 more decoys than us, the most in the competition yet are running dead last.

We've run the least and yet the Dogs are our neighbours on the ladder. Amazing and quirky stat.
FTR Dogs, 468 decoy runs Broncos 275. Quite the difference in coaching strategies.

Just on the Dogs, Dean Pay must be big on decoy plays because they've used the most of any team and we've used the least. How strange that the Dogs have run almost 200 more decoys than us, the most in the competition yet are running dead last.

We've run the least and yet the Dogs are our neighbours on the ladder. Amazing and quirky stat.
FTR Dogs, 468 decoy runs Broncos 275. Quite the difference in coaching strategies.

Every time I hear the word decoy I think of "sitting ducks". Like the Bulldogs. We really needed that win, both for confidence, the opportunity to develop some plays and combinations without too much pressure, and also to experience what playing against incompetence is really like.

Their decoy running exposed our incompetent right edge defence. I hope we learn from it. The only positive thing about the Dogs is not their decoy running but Luke Thompson. I feel sorry for him. He'd go well in our back row with Fifita.

I also feel sorry for Foran. He must be so depressed when he remembers his days at Manly, He was a star back then. Now he's probably taking a few too many antidepressants playing 5/8 for the Dogs. More black dog than bulldog. What a waste of talent.

Last edited:
Our halves definitely are not top raters that's for sure.

Just looking at some stats and I am amazed at a few of them. It just doesn't seem right ! I mean, take tackle busts as a team total, we're 6th in front of heavyweights, Raiders, Panthers and the Storm ! We've also had the least possession of any team, 16th in possession (total) with slightly less than 46%.

Just on tackle busts we have had 290 compared to the Storms 224!!! **** me dead that surprises me. There's other surprises too like we're 3rd in offloads so we're using what little ball we get. What about total kicks...last!!! What about errors? The Raiders and Roosters have both had more and we've been unhappy with our guys, ha.

Everyone knows we have been penalised the most so no surprise there. Here's a biggie. When it comes to engaging the line we are a dismal last but not just last, a very long last. Only 69 times compared to the top two, Sharks and Roosters with a whopping 192 and 177 respectively.

Some of these stats tell a more complete story especially that last one.

Personally I think the tackle busts/offloads vs time in possession stats perfectly reflects where our attack is at currently and also proves your point about the tempo of our game vs the top sides.

We are extremely clunky in attack and one criticism I do have of our forwards is they are often too eager to make a big play for the sake of a few metres gained rather than sacrificing those metres to maintain our tempo.

This is a common theme, though.

Teams coming off losing streaks, their next wins don't tend to be anything to write home about. They tend to be very scrappy uninspiring affairs because confidence is really low and they aren't clicking as well as they should be.

But once they do get a win, that confidence boost can really reignite a team's season and they can go on a run and improve as the weeks go on. Become a much different team than what they were prior.

Time will tell whether we will, or whether we will go back to our old ways.
We'll unfortunately be straight back to square 1 or worse after next week when Melbourne give us our annual hiding.

We'll unfortunately be straight back to square 1 or worse after next week when Melbourne give us our annual hiding.

The answer to beating the Storm is simple. We delivered it in 2015. Their game is simple, predictable but extremely well executed, and the answer is to counter it with the same level of well executed defence, as we did in 2015. The key is structure to counter their predictable attack (and defence) and discipline to do that. They have been at it, the same style of play for years which is why they are so good at it, which is why we will get flogged.

As long as we learn from our mistakes and build towards a future where we can emulate our performances of 2015, a great benchmark we should be striving for.

Last edited:
Do they? ****, now it's anyones guess as to who gets the try assist. Funny, a poster was laughing at me because I didn't know who got a try assist and who didn't and now you tell me it's subjective!
I play both NRL Fantasy, based off NRL stats, and SuperCoach, based off privately complied Stats.

To put it in perspective just how subjective the whole Try Assist thing is, James Tedesco last Thursday against the Cowboys was awarded 4 Try Assists plus 1 Try Contributions in SuperCoach, while NRL Stats only awarded him the 2 Try Assists.

Those are radically different interpretations of the same plays and the same game and just goes to show you how subjective the whole thing can be. There is even a widely held suggestion in SuperCoach that certain players involved can influence what constitutes an identical Try Assist or not, with a media poster boy like Tedesco (amongst others) invariably getting the benefit of 50/50 calls on the SuperCoach stat counts, but that not being reflected in the official NRL stat counts.

Last edited:
Reece Walsh to debut on the wing.

Kotoni Staggs & Matthew Lodge to miss another week.

Reece Walsh to debut on the wing apparently.

This is pure speculation, but I think Coates may have picked up a minor injury last week.
Presumably Staggs will be back this week too, so if Walsh does debut then Isaako or Oates are either benched or sitting this one out.

Active Now

• johnny plath
  • Fozz
  • marw
  • I bleed Maroon
  • winslow_wong
  • ChewThePhatt
  • GCBRONCO
  • broncsgoat
  • Waynesaurus
  • Allo
  • lynx000
  • Brocko
  • KateBroncos1812
  • kiwi2
  • Jedhead
  • FACTHUNT
  • Dash
  • The Strapper
  • Jazza
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.