Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

SO far we have played the other 7 top 8 sides from last year plus a resurgent Roosters and Souffs.
Our 3 losses have been by a total of 6 points and but for a Kahu brain snap and a bullshit lucky play from Melb we would be 8 from 9.

No doubt we are the form team of the comp ATM
Mmmmm.....I love the Broncs but form ? We're winning, ugly so that's not good form. Melbourne and the Sharks are winning and it would be easy to argue their form is better.

18118667_10212255670763766_8270140295507316765_n.jpg

Only the whole country thinks it was a try which it was. Don't care what Archer said. He said they only got 5 decisions wrong all year last year.
Rothfield, Tallis, and the rest of the Bronco bashers don't count as "the whole country".

McGuire admits to playing at the ball

It's a tactic that ultimately changed the game between the Brisbane Broncos and the Penrith Panthers on Thursday night, and Josh McGuire has admitted that it's a ploy he uses regularly to try and force a mistake from the opposition team.

McGuire strategically swings his arm around the body of an attacker when making a tackle, hoping to knock the ball out of the arms of the ball carrier and force a knock-on.

It's something that hadn't been overly noticed until the 5th minute of Brisbane's 32-18 win over the Panthers when McGuire made a tackle on Penrith hooker Peter Wallace.

The tackle was made as Wallace was about to score a try, knocking the ball free from Wallace's grasp and into the hands of Panther James Tamou who dove over the line to score what he thought was a try.

The play was sent to the Bunker as a 'try' but overturned when officials deemed McGuire had no intent to play at the ball when making his tackle. Instead the loss of control from Wallace was called a loose carry that had come into contact with a defender, thus making it a knock-on.

It was a huge play in the game, with a potential 6-0 lead to Penrith soon a 6-0 deficit when Brisbane scored through Kodi Nikorima five minutes later.

Panthers officials believe McGuire's tactics resulted in a turnover of possession on four separate occasions during the match, with none more important than the Wallace incident.

It could explain why Penrith completed at such a poor rate, with Anthony Griffin's men making 17 errors at a completion rate of 62 per cent.

Questioned after the match about the tactic, McGuire tried to talk down its importance.

"(Knocking the ball out of the tackle) isn't something I really practice," McGuire told Channel Nine.

"I just try and swing my arm at the ball a little bit and if I can get a loose carry then it's pretty lucky."

These plays were just one aspect of a solid game for McGuire who came head-to-head with Penrith's Trent Merrin – the man picked ahead of him at lock for the Australian Kangaroos in next week's Test match.

Both played well for their respective sides, with McGuire running for 170m and making 44 tackles, and Merrin running for 142m and scoring a try.

McGuire was full of respect for Merrin when asked about the rivalry, saying the Panthers lock deserved his spot in the Australian side.

"It wasn't personal. He's a quality football player and deserves his Kangaroos jersey. He played well in the Four Nations (in 2016)," he said.

"When you go into any game you want to make sure you play better than your opposite number.

"He played a really good game on Thursday night. I thought he played very well and that he was a bit unlucky with the way the scoreboard went against him, but I thought he played a quality game of football."

McGuire's focus now turns to State of Origin and securing a starting position in Queensland Maroons coach Kevin Walters's side.

Before that can happen McGuire will first put his hand up to represent second-tier nation Samoa against England on May 6th.

After that it will be back to club land to push his case for Maroons selection one final time.

"I just need to keep playing good footy for the Broncos and hopefully I'll play Origin and play well there. Hopefully after that I'll push for a World Cup spot for the Kangaroos," he said.

http://www.nrl.com/mcguire-admits-to-playing-at-the-ball/tabid/10874/newsid/106166/default.aspx

Mmmmm.....I love the Broncs but form ? We're winning, ugly so that's not good form. Melbourne and the Sharks are winning and it would be easy to argue their form is better.

So just imagine when we starting winning pretty.
Winning ugly is a great result. Plenty to work on but your still getting the job done. The Storm and Sharks are gonna blow their load too early I suspect and will fade as the season progresses.

It's a tactic that ultimately changed the game between the Brisbane Broncos and the Penrith Panthers on Thursday night, and Josh McGuire has admitted that it's a ploy he uses regularly to try and force a mistake from the opposition team.

McGuire strategically swings his arm around the body of an attacker when making a tackle, hoping to knock the ball out of the arms of the ball carrier and force a knock-on.

It's something that hadn't been overly noticed until the 5th minute of Brisbane's 32-18 win over the Panthers when McGuire made a tackle on Penrith hooker Peter Wallace.

The tackle was made as Wallace was about to score a try, knocking the ball free from Wallace's grasp and into the hands of Panther James Tamou who dove over the line to score what he thought was a try.

The play was sent to the Bunker as a 'try' but overturned when officials deemed McGuire had no intent to play at the ball when making his tackle. Instead the loss of control from Wallace was called a loose carry that had come into contact with a defender, thus making it a knock-on.

It was a huge play in the game, with a potential 6-0 lead to Penrith soon a 6-0 deficit when Brisbane scored through Kodi Nikorima five minutes later.

Panthers officials believe McGuire's tactics resulted in a turnover of possession on four separate occasions during the match, with none more important than the Wallace incident.

It could explain why Penrith completed at such a poor rate, with Anthony Griffin's men making 17 errors at a completion rate of 62 per cent.

Questioned after the match about the tactic, McGuire tried to talk down its importance.

"(Knocking the ball out of the tackle) isn't something I really practice," McGuire told Channel Nine.

"I just try and swing my arm at the ball a little bit and if I can get a loose carry then it's pretty lucky."

These plays were just one aspect of a solid game for McGuire who came head-to-head with Penrith's Trent Merrin – the man picked ahead of him at lock for the Australian Kangaroos in next week's Test match.

Both played well for their respective sides, with McGuire running for 170m and making 44 tackles, and Merrin running for 142m and scoring a try.

McGuire was full of respect for Merrin when asked about the rivalry, saying the Panthers lock deserved his spot in the Australian side.

"It wasn't personal. He's a quality football player and deserves his Kangaroos jersey. He played well in the Four Nations (in 2016)," he said.

"When you go into any game you want to make sure you play better than your opposite number.

"He played a really good game on Thursday night. I thought he played very well and that he was a bit unlucky with the way the scoreboard went against him, but I thought he played a quality game of football."

McGuire's focus now turns to State of Origin and securing a starting position in Queensland Maroons coach Kevin Walters's side.

Before that can happen McGuire will first put his hand up to represent second-tier nation Samoa against England on May 6th.

After that it will be back to club land to push his case for Maroons selection one final time.

"I just need to keep playing good footy for the Broncos and hopefully I'll play Origin and play well there. Hopefully after that I'll push for a World Cup spot for the Kangaroos," he said.

http://www.nrl.com/mcguire-admits-to-playing-at-the-ball/tabid/10874/newsid/106166/default.aspx
I've seen a thousand guys try to knock the ball loose, what's new ? Much ado about nothing

The awareness of Roberts and the laziness of the Panthers.

The moment the ball was passed from Kodi, Roberts had already summed up the situation. The ball was actually passed to inside the #4 but Roberts knew Tamou was only a few metres ahead and if he gunned it through the middle he'd be moving too fast to step him. So he goes massive on his left foot and heads outside towards the #2, engaging him and also pulling Cleary out towards the sideline. But then shifts angles again to beat them both on the inside. Tamou was the only one who could shut it down and he looked every bit the pay-packet merchant as he ambled slowly and threw out a pathetic flailing arm grab at thin air. I'm just going to presume that Roberts calculated his laziness in to the equation.

After last night Hook can officially EAD.

He's dragging down the Panthers the same way that he fucked us up. Same pattern, good first year then downhill slide.

His press conference was hilarious....

Didn't watch it, did he manage to stay awake through the whole thing?

Only the whole country thinks it was a try which it was. Don't care what Archer said. He said they only got 5 decisions wrong all year last year.

No it wasn't, cut it out.

that will put McGuire on the ref's "tip sheet" ...

p.s. that ruling hardly changed the game

After last night Hook can officially EAD.

He's dragging down the Panthers the same way that he fucked us up. Same pattern, good first year then downhill slide.

His press conference was hilarious....
Let me guess, the effort was there and he was happy with the effort?

How is this even an article. Players are taught to target the ball. As long as it is not a stripping motion then the onus is on the attacking player to hold it.

It's like coming out and denouncing anyone who has forced the ball loose driving the shoulder at the ball or the million times a player has lost it when getting tackled from behind by a player swinging at the ball.

This is becoming beyond ridiculous where was the outcry when Munster stripped the ball off Oates to give them the ball.

If the McGuire incident happens at the 50m line rather than the goal line it is 100/100 called a knock on

So they fucking should have.

Only bloke who thought it was a try was the muppet ref who sent it up as a try....
Apparently "the whole of Twiter" and "99% of rugby league fans" though the bunker got it wrong, according to the not-at-all-biased media reports.

7-3 penalty count last night. There were square up penalties, the just went to the wrong team.

Saw that stat coming this week. Probably the most lopsided count this year.

Had a full on argument with a work colleague today about the Wallace no try. He couldn't see how it was a knock on. I plainly pointed out that the ball hits McGuire's arm and comes free, therefor its a knock on into McGuire. The whole staff room backed him. Its tough being the only sensible guy to go for a decent team at my work.

Easy doesn't make it right though ;)

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • ChewThePhatt
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncosgirl
  • Alec
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Ondi
  • BRC088
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • maddo
  • Kev_Guz
  • Fitzy
  • Johnny92
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.