Round 9 - Eels vs. Broncos - Post Game Discussion

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
Personally i have no problems with McGuire belting that eels forward.

It was a high shot on Wallace, and most players would go to bat for their teamate in that situation.

It looked a bit late, didn't seem that high. I've seen worse.

A bit of push and shove would have been sufficient.

But for the terrible reffing, the penalty should have been reversed.

And the Eels player shouldn't have got 10 minutes.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Assuming Hannant, McGuire & Wallace are out, i'd be seriously considering playing Parker at prop, allowing Stagg to play lock. Thaiday is twice the player at #12, but unfortunately he'll have to stay up front.

Kahu
Hoffman
Reed
Hodges
Kemp

Wallace
Hunt

Parker
McCullough
Thaiday
Glenn
Gillett
Stagg

Baptiste
Anderson
Hala
Dodds / Wallace / Slyney

That's a lot of back-rowers but we need our best players on and can take advantage of Stagg's currently wasted workhorse ability.

B

bb_gun

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 23, 2013
Has anyone seen the post-match press conference? I can't find it and I want to know what the f' was said.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
Has anyone seen the post-match press conference? I can't find it and I want to know what the f' was said.

Here's the script:

[Looking dishevelled, dissappointed but calm] Griffin: "I can't fault the effort tonight. A few things didn't go our way. Corey Norman played well"

Thaiday: "It was all McGuire's fault. And Parker for not kicking the goals. See you on Nova next week, and thanks to Audi for my S6, being captian is great".

OXY-351

OXY-351

NRL Player
Oct 1, 2008
Really? Cos I gained more respect for him. I mean sticking up for your team mate, what a wanker

He may have stuck up for one team mate, but he let the other 15 down by being sent to the bin. It might have been an admirable play, but it was a dumb one. His only saving grace was that the eels player also got 10 in the bin, when he probably shouldn't have, so at least it was 12 on 12.

If it was 13 on 12 and parra scored a number of tries while McGuire was off, putting the game out of reach for the Broncos, would everyone still be praising him for it?

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Personally, I love thugby and letting my kids learn that violence is the way to sort out your frustrations.

Need to get into practise for some good old domestic violence

Last edited:
Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
He may have stuck up for one team mate, but he let the other 15 down by being sent to the bin. It might have been an admirable play, but it was a dumb one. His only saving grace was that the eels player also got 10 in the bin, when he probably shouldn't have, so at least it was 12 on 12.

If it was 13 on 12 and parra scored a number of tries while McGuire was off, putting the game out of reach for the Broncos, would everyone still be praising him for it?

Yeah, agreed. Sticking up for your mate is great and all, but punching someone just means you let the rest of your team down. We were lucky Klein was so abysmal that he sent one of the Eels players to the bin too, otherwise we would have been playing with 12 men against 13.

Son Edo

Son Edo

NRL Player
Sep 14, 2011
Apparently Darcy Lussick was throwing punches and was originally the one to be sent off but the ref fucked up and sent the wrong player.

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
Apparently Darcy Lussick was throwing punches and was originally the one to be sent off but the ref fucked up and sent the wrong player.

Makes sense considering the refs' form over the rest of the game :laugh:

N

nostradamus

NYC Player
Mar 13, 2013
same old s*** different week. ILL DISCIPLINE, CHEAP PENALTIES, NO INTENSITY, 5 MINS INTO BOTH HALVES WE HAD LOST THE GAME,BENCH ROTATION IS A JOKE. I wonder what magical words HOOK gave them in pre start and 1/2 time speeches. FFS dont woorry about buying players we need a coach who is upto NRL LEVEL

M

mieko

QCup Player
Aug 25, 2011

Very true. A complete lack of self control which on the night may not have hurt the team that much (thank god Allgood was sent as well) but in the long run it has, being sidelined for a week or two possibly. You stick up for your team mates but the team as a whole comes first.
i think last night was the first step on struggle street for us with the end nowhere near in sight.

john1420

john1420

It's Bronco Time
Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
Solid wing debut from Kahu

Like what I saw from Hunt being thrown in to replace Prince

Thaiday was great

Love Norman - coz he is leaving :)

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Personally, I love thugby and letting my kids learn that violence is the way to sort out your frustrations.

Need to get into practise for some good old domestic violence

:001_rolleyes: .............
music-smiley-1302.gif

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Well.....that game was fucked to watch.

Same frustratingly boring attack......same woeful defence errors.

Hodges really put us on the back foot early after being owned by Loko.

Prince leaving the field 5 mins later ....sealed our fate.

Thaiday was inspirational. The only player who I thought played to their capabilities. Parker, not far behind

It's even hard for me to be overly critical of Wallace. He's playing to his highest standard

unfortunately, his bar is set pretty low.

Kahu was pleasing other than dropping the pass from Norman. NRL players are expected to take those.

Couldn't understand why the work horse of the bench (Stagg) sat on the sidelines for 60 mins of the game.......I'm trying to remain optimistic with Griffin's performances

but........

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Fighting can't be condoned on the field, and it wasn't. The sin bin was used, as is appropriate. They got the wrong man for Parramatta, but the principle was correct. I felt for Allgood or whatever his name is. He didn't do a lot wrong in the first place (a little bit late, but not horrific), got his face smacked, didn't retaliate, just defended himself, and he gets 10 in the bin...

Anyway, I think the Broncos' biggest problem is that when they're at their peak, they're good enough to beat most teams. But when they're average, like last night, they'll struggle to win games. I just can't see them maintaining the sort of form they showed against Storm (second half), Titans and Cowboys for more than a couple of weeks at a time, and the effort to do so will take it out of them and they'll slip into pretty ordinary efforts like against Tigers and Eels (Rabbitohs game wasn't too bad, although again didn't make the most of Souths' first half errors).

I think we're all better off preparing ourselves for a 9-12 finish. Forget the top 8. Even if they make it they'll do nothing at that level.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Anyway, I think the Broncos' biggest problem is that when they're at their peak, they're good enough to beat most teams. But when they're average, like last night, they'll struggle to win games.

Other than your loser talk of accepting we won't make the 8 and have no chance of progressing further if we do, what you've said here is spot on.

If we are on.....we're on, We rode on the back of that 2nd half performance against melbourne to successive victories. Then we came out in the 2nd half against the Tigers and fell back into a hole.

In some ways we did well against Souths for keeping the score respectable, but the writing was on the wall against Wests.

We seem to ride high on confidence and play well, but when we find ourselves in a slump ....it appears very difficult to get out of it.

There were times last night that you'd swear half these blokes never played together before. Basic set plays or back line moves are insurmountable in trying to pull off.......

You really have to start questioning the coaching or the players are getting rattled very easily and are just falling to pieces on the field......

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
You call it loser talk and yet you're saying exactly what I am. This playing group is, for the most part, lazy and lacking heart. There's clearly no on field leadership that's spurring them on to lift their game. It's why they get into a rut - like early in the 2nd half against Souths - and can't recover.

You simply can't win games with that kind of inconsistency and poor attitude with the very average quality player we have. You can get away with attitude issues if you're stacked with star players (Broncos did a fair bit of that mid-90s), but with a roster like ours with probably only 2 or 3 players other clubs would fall over themselves to steal, you simply can't have crap attitude.

And I don't think Thaiday has any ability to get this team to unite around him, that despite what was for him an excellent performance last night.

And it seems the much vaunted "do it for Hook" thing doesn't really exist either. I think the players like him, but to me it seems he doesn't expect much from them. They certainly don't seem to expect much from themselves.

Loser talk, pessimism, whatever. I'm just being realistic. This is the worst Broncos team, from coach down, in our history. As fans we just have to take a deep breath and accept that, cheer them on and hope they overachieve. Believing anything else is delusional.

Active Now

• Jazza
  • Strop
  • MrMoore
  • porouian
  • Totally Unr3al
  • mrslong
  • Brocko
  • Financeguy
  • Allo
  • Sproj
  • GCBRONCO
  • bazza
  • pennywisealfie
  • Fatboy
  • bert_lifts
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Battler
  • BroncosMan
  • Bronx48
  • Volvo Driver
... and 50 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.