OFFICIAL Rugby League World Cup Discussion

As an extremely proud Australian, I’m pleasantly surprised to see others share my opinion on the current Australian team.

Something is just not right about them to the point where it makes it hard to support them. I’ve been screaming for someone to beat them all tournament but it’s just so unlikely.

Is it because we’re such a boring outfit these days, or because so many of the unsportsmanlike tactics of the Storm are at the forefront (wrestling, holding down, giving away penalties to get the line set)? Is it because they continue to select players out of position or because the players of 2017 carry on like prima-donnas when the slightest thing doesn’t go their way?

I don’t know, maybe it’s tall poppy syndrome. But I wouldn’t be upset in the slightest if we got knocked over in the final.

I know, but at least if Tonga made it would have been an even better result for the game.
I don't get how people think this. If Tonga win rugby league becomes more popular in Tonga, a country 1/20th the population of Brisbane alone. England has 250,000 registered rugby league players and when they win something that sport automatically gets more worldwide coverage due to its media presence.

Tonga will give a feel good story, but them getting to the semis will provide enough positive coverage in that country to give rugby league a springboard when they never make it past the group stages in the union World Cup I believe(?). England playing their 1st final in 32 years is a lot better for the games future. Winning it would be MASSIVE for the sport

I don't get how people think this. If Tonga win rugby league becomes more popular in Tonga, a country 1/20th the population of Brisbane alone. England has 250,000 registered rugby league players and when they win something that sport automatically gets more worldwide coverage due to its media presence.

Tonga will give a feel good story, but them getting to the semis will provide enough positive coverage in that country to give rugby league a springboard when they never make it past the group stages in the union World Cup I believe(?). England playing their 1st final in 32 years is a lot better for the games future. Winning it would be MASSIVE for the sport

England nor Tonga would beat Australia, never said they would, England has no chance against Australia and the way Australia has been going a cricket score isn't off the cards(which doesn't do the game good in any perspective) cause England have been anything but convincing this series especially for a side considered in the top 3 nations of Rugby League, more impressive have been the lower tier sides. Tonga wouldn't beat Australia either, but to reach that far would have done more for the game there and from a media perspective, then to have a top tier team before the tournament even started get thumped so easily.

Going to be a boring one sided final.

The World Cup has made this season go realllly stale. Wish it would end already. Need a breather so 2018 can build up some excitement. I do hope England wins so we don't have to hear another cam smith speech.

The World Cup has made this season go realllly stale. Wish it would end already. Need a breather so 2018 can build up some excitement. I do hope England wins so we don't have to hear another cam smith speech.

Season was already stale long before it. If I have to hear another "closest competition yet" I'll scream lol

If Tonga was in the final, I wouldn’t be able to get to work for the next week.

Their supporters shut down a Canberra suburb at peak hour just for making the semi final.

If Tonga was in the final, I wouldn’t be able to get to work for the next week.

Their supporters shut down a Canberra suburb at peak hour just for making the semi final.

Meh its only Canberra.

As an extremely proud Australian, I’m pleasantly surprised to see others share my opinion on the current Australian team.

Something is just not right about them to the point where it makes it hard to support them. I’ve been screaming for someone to beat them all tournament but it’s just so unlikely.

Is it because we’re such a boring outfit these days, or because so many of the unsportsmanlike tactics of the Storm are at the forefront (wrestling, holding down, giving away penalties to get the line set)? Is it because they continue to select players out of position or because the players of 2017 carry on like prima-donnas when the slightest thing doesn’t go their way?

I don’t know, maybe it’s tall poppy syndrome. But I wouldn’t be upset in the slightest if we got knocked over in the final.

I really like this Australian team. I find it extremely talented. One of the best I've seen.

I agree 100%, I cannot wait for the big 3 to retire and see what effect that has on international rugby league.

England nor Tonga would beat Australia, never said they would, England has no chance against Australia and the way Australia has been going a cricket score isn't off the cards(which doesn't do the game good in any perspective) cause England have been anything but convincing this series especially for a side considered in the top 3 nations of Rugby League, more impressive have been the lower tier sides. Tonga wouldn't beat Australia either, but to reach that far would have done more for the game there and from a media perspective, then to have a top tier team before the tournament even started get thumped so easily.
I also don't think England will win. But they haven't got to a final in 32 years. England is 400 X the population of Tonga. English fans are just like tongan fans, they want their team to get as far as possible. A semi final would be a failure for England, a semi for Tonga is amazing as it is-evidenced by their cheering when they were 20 nil down with 8 mins left and even the most optimistic fan thought they were no chance

I really like this Australian team. I find it extremely talented. One of the best I've seen.

Agree. We are close to watching "peak kangaroos " and punters still picking nits.

No pleasing some with some of the best league you will ever see.

The discipline against the bati was very good. Borderline outrageous good.

Up by 40+ and still grinding metres , probing for weak spots.

Kicking arse , raping and pillaging. Making fkn Vikings blush.

images

The only thing not to like is the 4 NSW prop rotation.

Should be alarm bells in maroon land here. Particularly with Jake Turbo and Cordner complimenting.

But can still admire how good it is. Some of those hitups by Klemmer and RCG should put Scott , Napa and co on notice.

Tonga were not that good imo. Beat a NZ team who got beat by Fiji also. Were down by plenty to England for most of the game.

Agree. We are close to watching "peak kangaroos " and punters still picking nits.

No pleasing some with some of the best league you will ever see.

The discipline against the bati was very good. Borderline outrageous good.

Up by 40+ and still grinding metres , probing for weak spots.

Kicking arse , raping and pillaging. Make fkn Vikings blush.

images

The only thing not to like is the 4 NSW prop rotation.

Should be alarm bells in maroon land here. Particularly with Jake Turbo and Corner complimenting.

But can still admire how good it is. Some of those hitups by Klemmer and RCG should put Scott , Napa and co on notice.

This Kangaroos team is one of the best gelling Roos teams I have seen in my lifetime. Morgan and Cronk halves pairing has been awesome imo.

Lots of people being emotional because they wanted Tonga to win. Loose carry. Clear knock on.

People completely forget the rules in highly emotional situations like that, or they just ignore the rules because it goes against the script they wanted, or they just have no fucking clue what the rules are..

It was a loose carry and always has been. The rule was explained when Wallace was denied the try against the Broncos.

Is the Australian team really that good, or is it just Cam Smith and Billy Slater are THAT good and the other teams are kinda ordinary in comparisson? Sort of like Melb Storm and the rest of the NRL this year.

I appreciate your point and think it’s probably helped me clarify why I can’t get behind this Australian team as much as previous ones.
To elaborate, I don’t doubt this is a successful team, probably one of the most successful ever. But I don’t think they’re as talented as some before them. For me, they’re too robotic, too much like the Storm. Not as talented as footballers, just great at playing the game how they want it played.
The Storm have systematically dulled league over the last decade and I think that’s evident in the current QLD and Australian teams.
Someone on here called the Storm the Cersei Lanesters of the NRL and I think they nailed it. Win at all costs - no matter what the consequences for anyone outside their four walls.
I hate to think that’s how all teams will end up if it keeps going that way.
The days of exciting, free flowing rugby league are fast disappearing. That’s why I think a lot of people got right behind the Pacific nations this time around. They play footy because they love it and it shows in their performances.
Anyway, that’s just my two cents.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.