[Rumour] The Hunt for Karmichael's return to Broncos.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Assuming K.Hunt does come back could we see a spine of

1. K.Hunt
6. Barba
7. B.Hunt
9. McCullough

I've read a few times online that Barba may play in the halves

Yeah no thanks. Barba at fullback thanks. Karmichael can play in the 6 if he comes back.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
I dunno which Hunt you were watching, AP. He was brilliant at that second man play. He knew who to pass to, knew how to draw defenders in, and had skills to throw a cut-out or a grubber kick.

If he comes back and doesn't make it in the halves, it won't be because he lacks the natural skills. It'll be because it involves more than just finishing plays, which is why Barba, Milford, and even Hayne are preferred to be attacking from fullback.
Will definitely have better long kicking chops. Not much use for short kicking in AFL. Fitness will be there. It's just a matter of the will.

Donald

Donald

QCup Player
Mar 25, 2013
Hunt was probably the first FB to perfect that second man play. He took the right option 99% of the time. He knew when to kick, throw the cut out pass or take the tackle. He straightened the attack up giving the outside men more room to work with which is something our past few FB's appear to have no idea about. Comparing Hunt to any of the FB's we have had since he left is like comparing chalk and cheese IMO.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
don't want barba playing in the halves he is more dangerous at fullback karmichael would most likely if signed play at five-eight although not sure how he would do and what his kicking would be like now.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
don't want barba playing in the halves he is more dangerous at fullback karmichael would most likely if signed play at five-eight although not sure how he would do and what his kicking would be like now.
What AFL would have taught him is to control the ball from hand to foot. A lot of leaguies seem to throw the ball up in the air and hope for the best. When the distance between hand and foot is reduced you have increased accuracy.NRL players are better these days , they probably watched Lockyer, who had a great kicking style . The worst I've seen was orford. He did have very short arms though.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
I think he'd be on OK 5/8 to start with.

Who knows what he might become if he decides to return to league.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
The way he left just leaves me cold about him. He can stay with AFL and I will be happy.

Rowan Edwards

Rowan Edwards

BRL Player
Jul 15, 2013
Personally I'd love to see K. Hunt back in the Broncos colours with the number 6 on his back. The main problem I have is I can't see him leaving the AFL until 2015 and by then we should be targeting proven halves or well on our way to developing our own.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Personally I'd love to see K. Hunt back in the Broncos colours with the number 6 on his back. The main problem I have is I can't see him leaving the AFL until 2015 and by then we should be targeting proven halves or well on our way to developing our own.

Agree with this. Would love to see hunt come back and IMO he would make a fine half. But as you said, if he's coming back it has to be next year

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
I'm not sure his ego could tolerate playing 2nds for ever.

rhino

rhino

NYC Player
Aug 27, 2013
K hunt could bring the long kicking game that we desperately need, but I think we shouldn't give up on milford and trying to secure a long term contract with him. B Hunt has potential but how much of that has he filled. I am concerned he wont kick on and continue to develop. Bring him home I reckon.

1 Barba
6 K Hunt
7 Milford
9 McCullough

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
The way he left just leaves me cold about him. He can stay with AFL and I will be happy.

Two words - Bruno Cullen. He was/is a boardroom ****.

He played the brinksmanship game (take it or leave it) - you win some, you lose some.

He lost more (Petero, Hunt, Stagg, Ennis, Boyd, Eastwood, probably Bennett) than he ever gained (Folau). Karmichael is hardly SBW. He was a young guy at the peak of his powers looking to maximise his earning potential.

If you worked for 10 years in your career (rather than 40+) you'd be the same. Even Buddy Franklin's $1M per year by 1/4 is "only" $250,000 per year which is not as astronomical as other professionals at the top of their fields.

The Broncos are a much different club in 2014 than 2008 when he left.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
I dunno which Hunt you were watching, AP. He was brilliant at that second man play. He knew who to pass to, knew how to draw defenders in, and had skills to throw a cut-out or a grubber kick.
i watched the one who was clueless in his games in the halves, who showed absolutely no inklings of even possessing a sliver of playmaking ability.

you guys all seem to be mistaking the second man play for playmaking. its not, its a set play. sure he more often than not made the right decision in the "which of the 2 guys outside me within 10m of me do i pass it to?" question, and every now and then he'd do the grubber which is really the only other option and is the most blatant one when the winger is up out of the line.

like with hodges, just because he can throw a cutout pass and hit a player on the chest with a pass doesnt make him a playmaker. he doesnt have a kicking game, he doesnt have a running game other than catching the ball when OTHER people put him into holes (unless you call catching kicks and running in a straight line to get hammered by the defence a "running game"), and he has shown in his time in the halves that hes not up to the challenge.

for everyone saying they think/know he'll make a fine half, noone is yet to show ANY evidence other than "hes brilliant at the second man play". thats not playmaking, thats playing a part in a set play, one in which every player has to play their part. what players like cherry evans/thurston/cronk/sezer/kelly/etc do is make things happen on their own. theyre the ones putting people through gaps or getting through themselves through off the cuff plays. hunt has never shown any ability in that area.

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
i watched the one who was clueless in his games in the halves, who showed absolutely no inklings of even possessing a sliver of playmaking ability.

you guys all seem to be mistaking the second man play for playmaking. its not, its a set play. sure he more often than not made the right decision in the "which of the 2 guys outside me within 10m of me do i pass it to?" question, and every now and then he'd do the grubber which is really the only other option and is the most blatant one when the winger is up out of the line.

like with hodges, just because he can throw a cutout pass and hit a player on the chest with a pass doesnt make him a playmaker. he doesnt have a kicking game, he doesnt have a running game other than catching the ball when OTHER people put him into holes (unless you call catching kicks and running in a straight line to get hammered by the defence a "running game"), and he has shown in his time in the halves that hes not up to the challenge.

for everyone saying they think/know he'll make a fine half, noone is yet to show ANY evidence other than "hes brilliant at the second man play". thats not playmaking, thats playing a part in a set play, one in which every player has to play their part. what players like cherry evans/thurston/cronk/sezer/kelly/etc do is make things happen on their own. theyre the ones putting people through gaps or getting through themselves through off the cuff plays. hunt has never shown any ability in that area.

I have to agree with this. Although Hunt performed that second man play well, it was Lockyer's pass to him that was most often the money ball.

I have my reservations that he could become a key playmaker. I think he would go well if he wasn't the main man and had another Lockyer, or Thurston of DCE to help him. I, like others, would be a little worried paying him top dollar (which is what he would want) when we are not sure if he could cut it week in, week out as a ball-playing half. IMO Money would be better spent elsewhere.

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.