Not open for further replies.
Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Re: Sack Griffin

So true .....!!

After getting knocked out of the semi finals (oh...that's right, we were in the finals last year)

and after losing our first game of the season in .....>gasp< ROUND 1 !!!

Yes.....you're quite right. The coach and half the team should be sacked ....there's no question about it!!!

:001_rolleyes:

Can you point out to me where in my post I said the coach and half the team should be sacked?

And out of curiosity, why are you so content with how things are currently? Do you think things are fine the way they are? Do you think nothing needs to change?

Last edited:
Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Sack Griffin

The worst thing about now is the loss of identity. We used to be a team who always looked to attack and throw the ball around and genuinely wanted to be the best team.

Now we are a team designed to defend and be bigger and stronger and nothing else. And I don't know when exactly it happened, but at some point the Broncos decided the most important thing was to be a good local club rather than the best club. And even in doing that, we are failing epically by not even securing the best young Queenslanders.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012

Can you point out to me where in my post I said the coach and half the team should be sacked?

This thread is about sacking the coach and it's theme has been kicked off again after a RD 1 loss. You were basically agreeing on the premise that you admonished someone for telling you all to hang tough and to stop being a bunch of princesses.....

And out of curiosity, why are you so content with how things are currently? Do you think things are fine the way they are? Do you think nothing needs to change?

Am I content...**** no!

But I also don't believe in kicking the coach out after the first round of the season !!

and for the uninformed, I WOULD like to kick Peter Wallace right back to where he came from.(I'm surprised this part escaped you ....I've been quite vocal about it in other threads)

This "thing" we're about to fall into (losing games) ....has been coming for some time. We have no real marquee player (I don't include Hodges in that category)

We've always had a marquee player......a Lewis....a Miles .......a Langer ....a Lockyer

Not anymore.

It's going to get rough without a player like this and I firmly believe sacking the coach is not only the wrong answer, but is just so god damn precious that it makes me cringe.

If we're going to sack anyone......we need to replace someone like Andrew Gee. Our people behind the scenes have lost the ability to find these high end players I'm talking about and draw them into the club. In a lot of the cases with the talent that is out there, the horse has already well and truly bolted and we were asleep at the wheel.

We need the next rising star. The next Lockyer ....the next Thurston.

Sacking Griffin won't change a thing. It's not going to make Norman play any better .....Hannant....McCullough ......Hoffman......Thaiday or any of them. We just have to hang in there with what we've got .....until the combinations develop ....until finally someone sees the light and drops Wallace......until some of the raw talent we see materialises and becomes consistent ..........until the forwards become aggressive for the entire match and not just the opening 20 mins ..........etc etc

and until we find ourselves that special player again who will catalyse the raw talent we do have.

The team is frustrated out there that they don't have that "go-to" player, like most teams have.

That's the biggest failing that I see as a club where we have let ourselves down the most.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

This thread is about sacking the coach and it's theme has been kicked off again after a RD 1 loss. You were basically agreeing on the premise that you admonished someone for telling you all to hang tough and to stop being a bunch of princesses.....

Am I content...**** no!

But I also don't believe in kicking the coach out after the first round of the season !!

and for the uninformed, I WOULD like to kick Peter Wallace right back to where he came from.(I'm surprised this part escaped you ....I've been quite vocal about it in other threads)

This "thing" we're about to fall into (losing games) ....has been coming for some time. We have no real marquee player (I don't include Hodges in that category)

We've always had a marquee player......a Lewis....a Miles .......a Langer ....a Lockyer

Not anymore.

It's going to get rough without a player like this and I firmly believe sacking the coach is not only the wrong answer, but is just so god damn precious that it makes me cringe.

If we're going to sack anyone......we need to replace someone like Andrew Gee. Our people behind the scenes have lost the ability to find these high end players I'm talking about and draw them into the club. In a lot of the cases with the talent that is out there, the horse has already well and truly bolted and we were asleep at the wheel.

We need the next rising star. The next Lockyer ....the next Thurston.

Sacking Griffin won't change a thing. It's not going to make Norman play any better .....Hannant....McCullough ......Hoffman......Thaiday or any of them. We just have to hang in there with what we've got .....until the combinations develop ....until finally someone sees the light and drops Wallace......until some of the raw talent we see materialises and becomes consistent ..........until the forwards become aggressive for the entire match and not just the opening 20 mins ..........etc etc

and until we find ourselves that special player again who will catalyse the raw talent we do have.

The team is frustrated out there that they don't have that "go-to" player, like most teams have.

That's the biggest failing that I see as a club where we have let ourselves down the most.

Hmmm, interesting. That's an awful lot of whinging for someone who is agreeing that other people should 'toughen up'.

You're a hypocrite.

And no, just because the premise of the thread is regarding sacking the coach does not mean I agree with it. I was having a go at somebody for criticizing others wanting positive change. Your logic fails.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

The worst thing about now is the loss of identity. We used to be a team who always looked to attack and throw the ball around and genuinely wanted to be the best team.

Now we are a team designed to defend and be bigger and stronger and nothing else. And I don't know when exactly it happened, but at some point the Broncos decided the most important thing was to be a good local club rather than the best club. And even in doing that, we are failing epically by not even securing the best young Queenslanders.

This is so so true. Part of the reason why I am just not positive about where the club is headed at the moment.

V

Viti

NRL Player
Feb 2, 2011

When people talk about Melbourne or Bulldogs and now South Sydney they rave about there structures, thats one thing we dont have. We have the talent in our line up to be a force but we won't be until we put in some better structures. That's the only thing I want to see from us, the boys playing to a structure and showing a bit of fucking aggression.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010

I think Hook was sorta forced into the changes and we haven't actually done a lot of training for the players to get used to their positions and gel together.
At least that is my secret hope...

What does worry me, is the capitulation after Manly's rapid fire of tries. It shows mental weakness, and we can't afford that. That is something I thought we left behind us with Henjak. Hopefully it's just the one game and the trend won't continue.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008

We needed to not lose all our talent for a greedy **** that ultimately failed when he left for AFL.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

We've been that team since 1999 though.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Sack Griffin

We've been that team since 1999 though.

Not to the same extent. Since 1999 our juniors have been gradually less elite as a class.

Plus in the 1999-2009 period we still recruited a young Scott prince, Israel Folau and almost Greg Inglis.

These days we recruit an old Scott prince and David Stagg and claim to be chockers under the cap.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

Forgot to bold which part I was referring to.

We've been defensively minded since 1999, if anything, under Hook we're taking more risks than we ever did under Bennett. At least we're not going for goal when we're behind on the scoreboard.

Recruitment was an issue last year. I suppose with so many of our own under contract, it was best to try and keep as many as we could.

EDIT: Actually, I really don't have that big a problem with this. In the past, all we used to do was recruit ex-Bronco talent and you know what? It basically earned us a premiership.

Last year was all about keeping that young squad together. They did that, but unfortunately that injury to Yow Yeh, Copley, Kahu and the departure of Gagai really hurt us. Hook will have to look outside of the club for some more backs but I'm not as overly concern or see this as a change from our previous position. Buying the likes of Clinton, Folau, Marsh etc. was actually a step outside of our comfort zone and looked how well it worked out for us by 2010.

Last edited:
Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012

Hmmm, interesting. That's an awful lot of whinging for someone who is agreeing that other people should 'toughen up'.

You're a hypocrite.

You asked if I were content.......I answered your questions. If you consider that a whinge ....then what ever

Now I see you were just trying to get square

You win.

happy?

And no, just because the premise of the thread is regarding sacking the coach does not mean I agree with it. I was having a go at somebody for criticizing others wanting positive change. Your logic fails.

Positive change ....?

Such as sacking the coach and replacing him with .......who?

Let's see logic win this one.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

You asked if I were content.......I answered your questions. If you consider that a whinge ....then what ever

Now I see you were just trying to get square

You win.

happy?

Positive change ....?

Such as sacking the coach and replacing him with .......who?

Let's see logic win this one.

Stop putting words in my mouth. Once again, I said NOTHING about sacking the coach, nor do I support that idea. Yes, the premise of the thread is regarding sacking the coach but it's not that much of a ridiculous suggestion considering the decline in performances in recent times. It's all healthy debate but anyone expressing their views in favour of losing Griffin are being shot down by 'Brad Miers' on the basis that we should just be content with the fact that we've done well for 25 years and therefore shouldn't be allowed to criticize the club. That argument is weak as piss. Hence why I had a go at him. There's your logic mate. Would you like me to draw it in crayon for you?

And no, I wasn't trying to get square. I asked a question and the answer I received was no less deserving of criticism than the comments you have been getting up.

So, as I said, you're a hypocrite.

Last edited:
Crazy Sam

Crazy Sam

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008

I don't feel it's Hook's fault that we only completed 8 sets in the second half.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008

You're right. But it's his fault that nothing was fixed.

J

Je$ter

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008

The market is too tough to expect the club to just secure the best Queenslanders with ease. There is 15 other clubs all looking to get kids. It isn't 1995 anymore, the way kids are scouted now is different. The Broncos can't just hoard talent anymore, because kids aren't going to hang around when they could get better opportunities at other clubs.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Sack Griffin

The market is too tough to expect the club to just secure the best Queenslanders with ease. There is 15 other clubs all looking to get kids. It isn't 1995 anymore, the way kids are scouted now is different. The Broncos can't just hoard talent anymore, because kids aren't going to hang around when they could get better opportunities at other clubs.

Agreed. Which is why I think the club needs to buy more and recruit from more regions. I see very little willingness to go to market and I can't remember the last time we had a junior from NSW.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012

Stop putting words in my mouth. Once again, I said NOTHING about sacking the coach, nor do I support that idea. Yes, the premise of the thread is regarding sacking the coach but it's not that much of a ridiculous suggestion considering the decline in performances in recent times. It's all healthy debate but anyone expressing their views in favour of losing Griffin are being shot down by 'Brad Miers' on the basis that we should just be content with the fact that we've done well for 25 years and therefore shouldn't be allowed to criticize the club. That argument is weak as piss. Hence why I had a go at him. There's your logic mate. Would you like me to draw it in crayon for you?

No...no, don't waste your crayons on me.

Sacking the coach and criticising the club are two completely different things. Brad Miers comment and the last of mine were pointing out that it's a tad premature to be throwing all the toys out of the cot and that success might not come quite as readily as it once has before.

I believe as fans we have to be resilient .......have courage .......have faith. Be supportive....through the good times and bad.

If you want to defend the right of those to call for the coaches head after the first round of the season, then go ahead. Personally I think it's pathetic.

You've said you don't agree with sacking the coach but you've earlier described the discussion as positive change.

How does that work......?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• theshed
  • bb_gun
  • Mustafur
  • Painin the Haas
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • I bleed Maroon
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.