Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
Re: Sack Griffin

on matty johns fox show they're talking about broncos and that griffin must be under some serious pressure.

as well as the fact we have too many 'samey' players

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

on matty johns fox show they're talking about broncos and that griffin must be under some serious pressure.

Everyone can see this bar the club

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

What is samey players? You mean too many similar players?

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

Yeah, that's pretty much correct. A lot of our players are all so interchangeable. You could move Reed to the back row, Glenn to the wing, Gillett to the centres and you wouldn't notice much of a difference. There's not much variety, no blistering pace guy, no offloading guy, no brilliant kicker guy, no massive runner guy, no ball playing guy etc etc. I'm not sure what Griffin's tactics are, since he seems to be aware of this and just encourages it even more (with the different articles stating how he expects all the players to put on mass).

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008

Everyone can see this bar the club

ya just pointing out that it might be gathering more momentum in the media. we all know media pressure is the fastest way to get things changed.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

ya just pointing out that it might be gathering more momentum in the media. we all know media pressure is the fastest way to get things changed.

Well I hope they keep banging on about it

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

Better the devil you know.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010

If crowds and ratings drop (neutrals & casuals don't want to watch a boring team) then that will put even more pressure on the club.

Last edited:
Big Dave

Big Dave

Banned User
Feb 27, 2013

I missed the days when no matter how many points the opposition scored.. we would just score twice as many *sigh*

Son Edo

Son Edo

NRL Player
Sep 14, 2011

Griffin, keep your poorly structured gameplan to yourself, we don't want it.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008

I have been completely under-whelmed by Griffins coaching style since Locky retired, IMO it will never produce anything but solid results unless we buy a playmaker who can attack once we get inside 20.
That's the most disappointing thing I find after watching the Manly game, nothing seems to have changed since last year.
What's that old saying? if you keep doing what you always do you'll keep getting what you always got, or something like that.

Griffin is pretty much responsible for this squad, he hasn't recruited outside the club so he must be happy with what he's got.
The only thing he could do as coach to compensate for having no natural playmaker is to introduce some attacking structures, we didn't adapt last year when it was obvious we struggled scoring tries and it doesn't look like we worked on anything in the off season.

Having said that, it's way too soon to be calling for his head, the club has backed him, the players are happy with him and the fans should be patient enough to see where he can take his squad this year.

If our performance doesn't improve then the club will have no choice but to cut him loose. Our crowds will drop, revenue will drop, sponsors will drop off and our players will start negotiating with other clubs. We will be digging a massive hole which will take years to turn around and the Broncos will not let that happen.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

I am not in favour of sacking Griffin but the more I think about the more I think the coaching and game plan is the problem. Sure we could do with a few more talented players. I don't think Hook is getting the best out of our squad and our game plan isn't using our players strengths. No doubt our recruitment has been off for a while. I love how we back our development most of the time but we shouldn't be afraid to make a signing our 2 when our squad is lacking. Hook needs to turn it around and fast IMO our he won;t make it through the season.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

I'm convinced that Hook's entire gameplan is just physically dominating the opposition. That's why we keep hearing about players putting on weight.
It's something that should work well in the first half of the season, as was shown last year. The problem is the second half, when the players start showing wear and tear, especially with all of our Origin reps. And then we also have the other 15 teams all starting to gel together using their proper gameplans that involve more skill and set plays and what not. Basically I'm very concerned that we'll just fizzle out once the finals start approaching once again (provided we even sizzle in the first place).

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012

I'm convinced that Hook's entire gameplan is just physically dominating the opposition. That's why we keep hearing about players putting on weight.
It's something that should work well in the first half of the season, as was shown last year. The problem is the second half, when the players start showing wear and tear, especially with all of our Origin reps. And then we also have the other 15 teams all starting to gel together using their proper gameplans that involve more skill and set plays and what not. Basically I'm very concerned that we'll just fizzle out once the finals start approaching once again (provided we even sizzle in the first place).

The way we're going, there won't be too many to worry about.

That should make all the SOO haters happy......:winky:

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008

The way we're going, there won't be too many to worry about.

That should make all the SOO haters happy......:winky:
we could be dead last without a win on the board and the same players will still get chosen for origin - Thaiday, Hannant, Hodges, Gillett.

McGuire will be selected this year too, and he'll probably be the only one of them deserving of their selection.

on Alecs post - thats been our gameplan for the last decade plus, its not just griffin. how many times did our season go like that under bennett? nearly every year since 2000 apart from 2006? both henjak and griffin showed initial promise of changing our gameplan, and it was exciting. then they both just reverted back to the bash-em-up-the-middle plan, and it all falls apart. we dont have the forward skill or strength/size advantage to win that way, like we did back in 98/2000. back then we had tallis, thorn, carroll, howard, civoniceva, all at the top of their game. not to mention sailor and tuqiri acting as second forwards (which subsequently set the mould for wingers for the next 10 years). now we have 2 of the most overrated forwards of the last 5 years in hannant and thaiday, a hit and spin offloader in parker who gets no support runners so is ineffective, gillett who has just been nigh on pathetic since his first year, and then a bunch of nuffies who are just filling in the numbers.

Glenn and McGuire are the only players in our pack who actually pull their weight, and look like theyre TRYING every week. both effective 80 minute players, yet we sub them off to play people out of position and give game time to nuffies.

Last edited:
Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008

Gillett has been nigh on pathetic since he became a starting player.

Off the bench he continually came on and made a difference with a line bust or great kick chase or try. His confidence was through the roof and he lifted the side nearly every game but for some reason nobody at club will acknowledge that.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008

Off the bench he continually came on and made a difference with a line bust or great kick chase or try. His confidence was through the roof and he lifted the side nearly every game but for some reason nobody at club will acknowledge that.

Actually I think he's another case like Norman where Griffin wants to stroke his ego. Gillett has been quoted as saying "I just want to play in the back row". If you're on the bench, chances are you might have to play somewhere different.

Same with Norman, almost demanding a spot in the halves and so Griffin giving him fullback just so he can stay happy by staying in the team.

That's the perception I get anyway, I hope I'm wrong!

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008

when? definitely not last year. he was terrible 99% of 2012 lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Behind enemy lines
  • davidp
  • Galah
  • lynx000
  • Battler
  • Bucking Beads
  • Manofoneway
  • ChewThePhatt
  • whykickamoocow
  • BRC088
  • BroncosAlways
  • Ondi
  • Swordfish
  • Big Del
  • Maddy
  • broncos4life
  • thenry
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.