Status
Not open for further replies.
rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Re: Sack Griffin

A coach is only as good as his on-field star play makers. They keep the shape and structure together, and use their instincts, and those of others with instincts, to pull rabbits out of hats. We have none. No players, no hats, no rabbits.

That much became obvious when Lockyer retired. All of a sudden, the Broncos were exposed, and remain exposed.

As one example, for mine, it was Lockyer who made Gillett, who showed what he is capable of given good positioning and quality ball in 2010. I was hoping that Griffin had the talent to do the same as Lockyer, with Gillett, Norman, Thaiday, Hoffman.

So far, he hasn't.

As far as I am concerned, coaching is as much having a true leader and organizer on the field as much as a good game plan created off the field. That, or those players, keep the shape and structure of the game plan, as well as pulling rabbits out of hats when it's needed.

Can any one think of a successful coach who doesn't have such a player/s? I can't.

At the same time, a good coach also adapts when something isn't working, star players or not.

Griffin is starting to worry me. But then, how successful would Bennett have been if he didn't have the class he had on the field?

Seems to me the real problem is not just the coach but the club's recruitment. I just hope Prince comes to life soon

Steve Renouf

Steve Renouf

NYC Player
Aug 31, 2012

Your never afraid to answer the tough questions, are you?
That was the first time someone has asked me a question so I am not sure where you obtained your reference material.

Steve Renouf

Steve Renouf

NYC Player
Aug 31, 2012

Seems to me the real problem is not just the coach but the club's recruitment.
That is an understatement. You could probably argue that the hiring of the coach also falls under recruitment in which case it could prove to be a double wammy.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

A coach is only as good as his on-field star play makers. They keep the shape and structure together, and use their instincts, and those of others with instincts, to pull rabbits out of hats. We have none. No players, no hats, no rabbits.

That much became obvious when Lockyer retired. All of a sudden, the Broncos were exposed, and remain exposed.

As one example, for mine, it was Lockyer who made Gillett, who showed what he is capable of given good positioning and quality ball in 2010. I was hoping that Griffin had the talent to do the same as Lockyer, with Gillett, Norman, Thaiday, Hoffman.

So far, he hasn't.

As far as I am concerned, coaching is as much having a true leader and organizer on the field as much as a good game plan created off the field. That, or those players, keep the shape and structure of the game plan, as well as pulling rabbits out of hats when it's needed.

Can any one think of a successful coach who doesn't have such a player/s? I can't.

At the same time, a good coach also adapts when something isn't working, star players or not.

Griffin is starting to worry me. But then, how successful would Bennett have been if he didn't have the class he had on the field?

Seems to me the real problem is not just the coach but the club's recruitment. I just hope Prince comes to life soon
Yeah Hasler, Bulldogs halves suck.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

So far, he hasn't.

Well Hasler had Reynolds and Keating in the halves so it can be done. We might not be premiership material but with a better game plan with the players we've got we would be a much better side.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

Well Hasler had Reynolds and Keating in the halves so it can be done. We might not be premiership material but with a better game plan with the players we've got we would be a much better side.

But Hasler had Barba.

This year, minus Barba, the Dogs look ordinary

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

They've only had one game without him against a very good Cowboys team. Lets see how they go in the next few rounds.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

Bellamy: Defence + field position, Cronk and Slater occasionally chime in and show their class.
Bennett: Defence + field position, ditto Mullen and Boyd.
Hasler: Lots of skills training for the entire side, everyone passes the ball to make up for the terrible halves.
Griffin: Physically dominate the opposition.

Bellamy and Bennett have the most boring, but also the most successful plans. Hasler identified his team's weakness (the halves) and covered it up. It got exposed the the Grand Final, but was excellent before then. Feels like Griffin is a step or two behind. Maybe he was trying to invent a new way of playing, just like Hasler did, but so far it doesn't seem to be very good or very entertaining.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012

i am, but he seriously needs to eliminate his stupid mistakes from his game, both offensive and defensive. I would think $250k maximum, but being an origin player for the foreseeable future I would expect he would want $300k minimum. That would be the absolute maximum I would offer, especially based on his form over the last 12 months.

of course it's speculating. All we have is this:
- Wallace signs for $180k-$200k for 2008.
- contract is for 4 years, but will be renegotiated if he plays representative football.
- plays origin 2008 and 2009
- resigns with broncos til end of 2012 on upgraded offer.
- resigns with broncos til end of 2015, on what would again be an upgraded offer.

Its not outlandish to expect his deal to have almost doubled since his first contract, after having played origin and being a first grader every week. Googling him says his salary for 2012 was $300k. He wouldn't have taken a pay cut with his 2013-2015 deal.

Whooo - up !! I thought the red headed numpty was only signed to the end of 2014? :scared:

http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/rugby-league/teams/brisbane-broncos/

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012

Someone who is capable and who has direction and an eye for talent?

Hmmmm ......could you be a little more specific or is it just easy to say get rid of Griffin and not think about who will take over?

I

IBA

NYC Player
Mar 23, 2012

Curious here fourex, what did you make of Prince on the weekend? I've just finished up watching the replay and was happy with Wallace's performance, and not very happy with Prince. Save from a couple of nice real nice kicks, and a couple of nice passes, he was pretty average. Defence was shocking, couple of awful passes, looked a bit lost at time. Where your old mate Pete defended well (bar that fucking shocker, which was also Glenn's fault mind you) had to play at dummy half an absolute heap cos Macca wasn't getting there, kicked very well and I thought he moved the ball around well given our substantially lacking time in the oppositions half. We had very, very few attacking 5th tackles in the game which is what cost us, and I put that down to the forwards. Anyway, just wondering your opinion on the 2 after that game...

B

Bronco bob

NYC Player
Aug 9, 2012

Saw this on another site, it is right in every way.

Dear Anthony Griffin,

You seem like a genuinely likeable fellow and the Bronco players (and most Bronco fans) thank you for taking over the coaching position from Ivan Henjak. All of this is truely appreciated.

You have picked the same side as last weekend, which is fine however could you PLEASE get your (edit) stuff together!

NRL football these days is a 17 man game. I’m lead to believe your bench players’ minutes on the weekend were:

Hunt – 12
Hannant – 39
Dodds – 16
Stagg – 17

Are you serious?! No really, ARE YOU SERIOUS?!

Maybe it’s your affable nature that’s helped you escape criticism after the weekend’s game. “The Broncos ran out of steam in the second half” they’d say. “It’s round 1, the players will be right when they get a little more match fitness into them”. You, yourself, even said you felt your players “rolled over” in the second half (their fault?).

I’m sure it’s tough to try and keep so many young players happy, giving each the game time and opportunities they want.
I’m equally sure there comes a time when you have to put on ‘the daddy pants’ where your decisions might not go down as well as you’d like (everyone can’t play 60-80mins) however you do what’s in the best interests of the child/team. For instance:

I can only assume the decision to use 2 interchanges for 12mins of Ben Hunt was the result of some kind of head injury (on your part).

If McCullough is playing that long anyway, couldn’t he stretch it another 12 minutes and give TWO more interchanges to rotate those gassed forwards so your fans don’t have to watch as much of Gillett et.al doubled over with hands on their heads/hips/knees?

While on Gillett: Anthony, maybe you play SuperCoach and think Gillett playing 80mins is good for your team. Not necessarily. In 2012 Gillett scored at a much more efficient rate when playing under 60mins (0.23ppm better – a difference of 18.4pts/80min). His base per minute in round 1 this year? Right on target with 2012 (when playing over 60mins). This would suggest you tend to get much more quality out of Gillett in shorter stints.

If, in your opinion, neither Mitchell Dodds nor David Stagg deserve to even play 20mins they shouldn’t be in first grade.
I would disagree of course – surely there’s room for another 2 fresh bodies on the field for a little longer (or at least ONE play more minutes).

People within the club seem to be scratching their heads as to why the Broncos (team) seemed to run out of steam in the second half.
They were the only side to use just 2 interchanges in the first half on the weekend. Eight teams used 3, while seven teams used 4 in the first half of their round 1 games.

If you decide to play your players until their wheels fall off, don’t be surprised when… well, the wheels fall off.

Please, lets not hear any more about how the Bronco forwards “need to aim up” or “play with more mongrel” or “vow to not play ‘soft’ in patches”.

In the best interests of ALL league fans (since Gyngell basically announced the new rights deal will see Brisbane play every Friday night) have a think about your interchange rotation.

I wish you all the best in the future.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
RE: Sack Griffin

Bronco Bob. Great post. I'm hoping for round 1 jitters, new halves. Marantas try is one this team could not have dreamed of scoring 6 months ago.

Reed scores before half time or doesn't knock on, we'd probably have ground put a win and be saying it was a rusty hit out.

Bounce of the ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Jedhead
  • Foordy
  • Fozz
  • Dash
  • Mister Wright
  • Behold
  • Broncorob
  • leon.bott
  • Skyblues87
  • I bleed Maroon
  • bb_gun
  • Waynesaurus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.