Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah sorry cammac. Probably uncalled for i was just getting sick of everyone using every other thread to attack griffin. I agree he isn't the right coach. But he has clearly been put on notice. And there are no better alternatives currently available. Hook has admitted some faults and tried to change them. He should at least get to see them through

You're right GCB, but I must say I find it hard to accept that people will only have negative things to say and use and abuse topics to push their agenda and relentlessly bag someone.

In Griffin's case, there are no doubts he needs to improve a lot of aspects, but he's certainly on the right path as well as management:
- Good recruiting, even if we're still lacking a good option for the halves until next season.
- Got the best conditioning trainer in the business with Corvo.
- Corrected the error of making Sammy captain, although I can understand why it was done in the first place, but hindsight is a beautiful thing...
- Got one of the better youth scouts with Edwards.
- Created an Academy in one of the more fertile Rugby League nurseries, right in our backyard.

Obviously, we still need to see what all of the above will bring, and he definitely still has plenty to do tactically and technically:
- Game management, interchanges, etc... (he is one of the worst I have ever seen at this)
- Defense! We cannot aspire to anything when we're averaging 30+ missed tackles per game, making us one of the worst in the NRL.
- Better game plan, more set plays and more diversity, without losing too much of the good things of Griffin ball, like the low mistake rate while in possession, as well as pretty good discipline in general.

I cannot imagine that if a wannabe coach (read couch potato) like me, can come up with the above, an organisation like the Broncos doesn't have a whole plan worked out!

Let's not forget that we had the biggest injury toll in the backline ever last year. It certainly doesn't explain everything, but it had a big influence in the way our season went...

Give Griffin this season to redeem himself, if we at least do not make the Preliminary Final, then he has to go, but we are finally headed in the right direction in regards to recruiting etc. We definitely need more set plays, decoy runners and tricky attacking options that leave the defence in two minds.

Yeah sorry cammac. Probably uncalled for i was just getting sick of everyone using every other thread to attack griffin. I agree he isn't the right coach. But he has clearly been put on notice. And there are no better alternatives currently available. Hook has admitted some faults and tried to change them. He should at least get to see them through

No worries, i don't take offence if people don't like my comments, that is fine its your right. In all honesty i think there has definitely been some steps taken in the right direction, particularly bringing in corvo. I just however don't believe we should have been so badly mismanaged that we ended up in this predicament in the first place.

No worries, i don't take offence if people don't like my comments, that is fine its your right. In all honesty i think there has definitely been some steps taken in the right direction, particularly bringing in corvo. I just however don't believe we should have been so badly mismanaged that we ended up in this predicament in the first place.
Most of it still stems from the Cullen/Henjak period though, even if some mistakes were made on the part of this management, like having a bit too much faith in our 2008 Youth class, especially in the spine. With Barba, Milford and probably Smith, that major flaw will be fixed.

Most of it still stems from the Cullen/Henjak period though, even if some mistakes were made on the part of this management, like having a bit too much faith in our 2008 Youth class, especially in the spine. With Barba, Milford and probably Smith, that major flaw will be fixed.

Hook had the chance to pick up a quality half but instead decided to re-sign wallace and norman albeit 2011 was a good season for us they were not standouts, they just had locky who made them look good, even blind freddy could see that, to me that was a major **** up, although barba and milford are quality players, i just don't think they are all we need. I hope we get smith, think he would add a lot.

Hook had the chance to pick up a quality half but instead decided to re-sign wallace and norman albeit 2011 was a good season for us they were not standouts, they just had locky who made them look good, even blind freddy could see that, to me that was a major **** up, although barba and milford are quality players, i just don't think they are all we need. I hope we get smith, think he would add a lot.

Who was the half?

Who was the half?

Well thurston was off contract was he not? so was cronk then the likes of widdop etc. although you are going to say we didn't have a chance etc. cause thats your game no?

Well thurston was off contract was he not? so was cronk then the likes of widdop etc. although you are going to say we didn't have a chance etc. cause thats your game no?

Your story- how did hook mess up their signing?

You have information that says otherwise? Cowboys and Storm were always going to retain Thurston and Cronk. Barba and Milford are not all we need, but Widdop would be?

There's plenty to blame on Hook, but I doubt this can be assigned to him.

You have information that says otherwise? Cowboys and Storm were always going to retain Thurston and Cronk. Barba and Milford are not all we need, but Widdop would be?

There's plenty to blame on Hook, but I doubt this can be assigned to him.

To be perfectly honest Widdop would be better then what we have atm.

That remains to be seen. He's certainly not even remotely close to Barba or Milford, and we'll see how Hunt goes this season.

I for one, don't think Widdop is worth half of what the Dragons are paying for him, and was quite happy we didn't get him at that price!

You can't say that it's a **** up because we didn't sign someone who's contract was up for renewal. Unless of course you have an agenda. Thurston is the best six going around ATM so every coach that didn't sign him is a "useless prick with no fucking idea"
puulease

You can't say that it's a **** up because we didn't sign someone who's contract was up for renewal. Unless of course you have an agenda. Thurston is the best six going around ATM so every coach that didn't sign him is a "useless prick with no fucking idea"
puulease

It's not a conspiracy theory, there is no agenda here. But what a red herring that is to say about other clubs not signing thurston, not every other club has the halves crisis we do, do they?

That remains to be seen. He's certainly not even remotely close to Barba or Milford, and we'll see how Hunt goes this season.

I for one, don't think Widdop is worth half of what the Dragons are paying for him, and was quite happy we didn't get him at that price!

Totally agree. Widdop is a fantastic non-dominant half, who looks a world-beater when the defence's attention is focused elsewhere. He may prove us wrong but I've seen nothing to suggest he can be a primary playmaker. It's most likely he'll be shown up to be another Storm export, signed for twice what he's worth.

Lol Cammac, you're the poster child for having an agenda.

It's a combination of both time frames, on the one hand the club was looking to the future through McCullough, Hunt and Norman with Wallace to carry the duties, they stunted Hunt's development by persisting on playing him in a replacement hooker role off the bench when his future lies in the 7 or 6 jersey, he really should have spent time in the Queensland Cup early on and introduced into the NRL when he was ready. They persisted with Wallace at 7 for far too long, he should have been moved to 5/8th which a lot of people argue is his natural position anyway and then bring Hunt into 7, then ditched if he failed to deliver. However that's hindsight and a wonderful thing if you could possess it at the time, Wallace, Norman and Prince are gone, we have a lot more depth coming through the ranks, Hunt gets his crack at halfback finally and with Barba and Milford joining the ranks over the next 2 years things are looking much better for our spine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Robboi_321
  • RolledOates
  • Gaz
  • Wolfie
  • Manofoneway
  • Morkel
  • Battler
  • Sproj
  • Cavalo
  • Wild Horse
  • Bucking Beads
  • Redfern_1980
  • Galah
  • Lurker
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • BroncosAlways
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.